CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it centers around the Vyvanse and how much he had. He could have had the psychotic break, and still appeared normal later on the phone to his mom and in person to the police and Christian. He might have been eerily calm since it sounds like he had made the decision to take his life. With the vehicle going down that cliff at a great rate of speed, uprooting boulders, that was intentional. Giving away his possessions was intentional. Sitting in BW for 13 hours was intentional. Maybe he was only in B W because he ran out of gas. Running out of gas also shows his mind was elsewhere and not getting home safely.

He could have been very close to his mom and still kept things from her, dark thoughts in the recesses of his mind that he didn't understand. Especially with mental illness. Sometimes they don't understand what is happening to them and can't put into words what it feels like. IMO-FWIW.

I think it centers around the Vyvanse and how much he had. He could have had the psychotic break, and still appeared normal later on the phone to his mom and in person to the police and Christian. He might have been eerily calm since it sounds like he had made the decision to take his life. With the vehicle going down that cliff at a great rate of speed, uprooting boulders, that was intentional. Giving away his possessions was intentional. Sitting in BW for 13 hours was intentional. Maybe he was only in B W because he ran out of gas. Running out of gas also shows his mind was elsewhere and not getting home safely.

He could have been very close to his mom and still kept things from her, dark thoughts in the recesses of his mind that he didn't understand. Especially with mental illness. Sometimes they don't understand what is happening to them and can't put into words what it feels like. IMO-FWIW.

I talked to a really good psychologist friend of mine whose been helping people for years she thinks everything he did points to suicide. The drugs and alcohol can contribute to this kind of thinking. Crazy behavior, he broke up with GF, gave away his most cherished belongings, the note to SD for saving his soul, he probably sat in BW thinking about how he was going to do it and/ or getting up enough nerve to do it, it failed but he broke out and left wallet, cell, gym bag. He might still be in the lake or took off somewhere else, possibly hitching a ride or walking to another area away from the highway to complete his task.

The one question I asked from the beginning that never got answered was did LE find any cash left in his wallet because if there was he obviously didn't run away or he would have taken the cash before he left because he would need it. Right!!!!

I'm sure he did need gas in Buttonwillow, but there are gas stations right off the freeway there and not much else except motels and fast food. I can name a Motel 6, a Burger King, and a McDonald's right off the top of my head, and I haven't been through there in over a year. It also is incredibly hot there and stinks like cow poop. If you don't live there, there's no reason to stick around other than a pit stop.

I talked to a really good psychologist friend of mine whose been helping people for years she thinks everything he did points to suicide. The drugs and alcohol can contribute to this kind of thinking. Crazy behavior, he broke up with GF, gave away his most cherished belongings, the note to SD for saving his soul, he probably sat in BW thinking about how he was going to do it and/ or getting up enough nerve to do it, it failed but he broke out and left wallet, cell, gym bag. He might still be in the lake or took off somewhere else, possibly hitching a ride or walking to another area away from the highway to complete his task.

The one question I asked from the beginning that never got answered was did LE find any cash left in his wallet because if there was he obviously didn't run away or he would have taken the cash before he left because he would need it. Right!!!!

I think he hitched a ride. I agree with you that he was mentally still under the side effects of the substances he took.

Then why did Mom say she would fly out there the next day if it's like a 9-10 hour drive?

As others have noted it's not even that long - closer to 7.5-8 hours depending on traffic. I've had this exact same question from the beginning. Yes the flight itself is shorter, but you have to deal with finding a flight, getting to the airport early enough (is it still 1-2 hours before? I haven't flown in awhile). Then on the other end you have to deal with getting through the airport and getting a ride to wherever you need to go. It's still shorter overall than driving, but I'd say maybe only by half, and you're at the mercy of the airline's schedule. If I were that worried, I'd have driven. Again, hindsight being 20/20 and all...

I always have to remind myself that the US is so different to the UK when it comes to driving times/distances. :D The idea of driving for 8-10 hours over a 1ish hour flight (even with check in etc) is absolutely insane to me.

Though pushing that aside for a moment, I do agree that perhaps the parents should've jumped in the car and started trying to get to Bryce when it was obvious he wasn't in a particular hurry to move.

I think she was referring to his mom driving from laguna Niguel to buttonwillow.

Re: the bolded, it's closer to 4-4.5 hours. I suppose you can probably make it in 3 if you're flying, but I kind of doubt he was in a rush.

I'm not sure on your last question, but I have heard that it's extremely common on college campuses now.

right, I hate driving more than 2 hours anywhere. I think its a CA thing though, I have friends in the Midwest that think nothing of a 20 hour drive. no thanks!

Because it's a 1 hour flight.

As others have noted it's not even that long - closer to 7.5-8 hours depending on traffic. I've had this exact same question from the beginning. Yes the flight itself is shorter, but you have to deal with finding a flight, getting to the airport early enough (is it still 1-2 hours before? I haven't flown in awhile). Then on the other end you have to deal with getting through the airport and getting a ride to wherever you need to go. It's still shorter overall than driving, but I'd say maybe only by half, and you're at the mercy of the airline's schedule. If I were that worried, I'd have driven. Again, hindsight being 20/20 and all...
Mythbusters once did it with Tory, Carrie, and Grant, and I don't think there was a tremendous difference between them, but in my experience the 400 miles between S.F. Bay Area and L.A. takes roughly around 6 hours even with traffic, and it depends on how long/often you take to stop or not for gas, food, bathroom breaks. I know some people who speed drive it in 5 hours.
Roseville is 2 hours North of us, Orange County 2 hours South of where I live in the Valley, so I would estimate 10 hours total drive time for Roseville to Laguna Niguel in my experience. Just never driven that exact stretch.

I always have to remind myself that the US is so different to the UK when it comes to driving times/distances. :D The idea of driving for 8-10 hours over a 1ish hour flight (even with check in etc) is absolutely insane to me.

Though pushing that aside for a moment, I do agree that perhaps the parents should've jumped in the car and started trying to get to Bryce when it was obvious he wasn't in a particular hurry to move.

We Californians live in our cars...

I just wonder with the probability of committing suicide from all the indicators, where he did it. Where is his body? I've all but given up that it's in the lake. It's been searched several times. Where could he go, hid himself so well, and then take his life? Most people who commit suicide eventually turn up. Why would he not want his body to be found, for closure for his parents. Unless he thought it would be kinder to his parents to let them think he might be alive somewhere than to know he was gone forever? Just thinking out loud.

..... He got hooked on adderall same thing as Vyvanse, speed..

I may be splitting hairs here, but I feel as though the difference between those two drugs is significant (In so far as how it relates to this case). Yes, you could at the very base level say both are speed, but there are differences and I will try to explain them while tying them into the relevance of BL's case.

Adderall is generally a short(ish) acting stimulant. Generally delivering a good 4-6 hours worth of speed-esque feelings. Vyvanse is a much longer acting drug. That will generally last 12 hours, sometimes more. I with no pride and true disgust at myself can say I have experienced times where I took Vyvanse at 7 AM and at 1 AM that evening still was feeling the effects and was not able to sleep. That's a very long time to be under the influence of drugs.

This raises a few questions for me. If he had been taking these for a few days, and not sleeping, the psychosis probably would have been very tough to deal with, especially if this is something he wasn't generally experienced in. Same goes for depression. I can speak to the crippling depression and thoughts that come post-stimulant usage. I am not even referring to abusing them and staying up for days. I have taken one vyvanse early In the morning to complete a 30 page research paper, and even coming down from that was a challenge.

These drugs suck you into whatever task you are performing while time is moving a lot faster than you think. I can easily see him pulling his car over, and getting sucked into internet on his phone and burning off 12 hours at the same spot. Also, if he was trying to come down before getting home to his insanely overprotective mom, I could see him sitting there that long. The thing is though, the cops who checked on him would not have said he was sober. His pupils would be a flashing/screaming red flag that he was under the influence of amphetamines. He'd be nonstop talking and chatty, so the police, Christian, and the people talking to him on the phone would have definitely noticed something, even more so if this was their first time interacting with him under the influence of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnid