Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Creepy indeed...even more so now that we know her life ends :eek:

I tend to think there is someone else present also --- someone who knows where the camera is.

:candle: for Ms. Lam...!!!

Im wondering how many rooms were vacant on that floor that night?
And if they were checked!

My condolences to the family. I have looked through this thread and seen the video multiple times and have some theories.

One of the things that I couldn't understand was why she would press all the buttons. At first I thought she was drunk/drugged/mental health issues, but if she was being followed, then there is a logical explanation. Outside the elevators, a person can see which floor the elevator is on. She obviously doesn't want the follower to know, so by pressing so many floors, they wouldn't know which floor she got off.

Why does the video show about a minute and a half of the video moving properly after she leaves? I believe this was done to show that the elevator is working fine shortly after she left and for some reason it wasn't working only when she was in it. Some of you have mentioned she presses the hold button, but how do you know that, and how do you know how long it holds the elevator for? Is that the same as the "open door" button on most elevators? That button usually only holds the door open for a few seconds.

As a person who also wears glasses, I too would need to look very closely at the buttons to know what I am pressing. So leaning in to look at the buttons is not weird behavior. But why does she not wear any glasses? Where were they found? Personally, I cannot think of any reason to not wear glasses while walking around a building. I don't wear glasses if I am showering. Did she have a shower in her room?

I think that she is talking to someone in the hallway. She moves her hand in a funny way into the elevator because she is baffled by why the elevator doors won't shut. She is jokingly wondering if there is something wrong with the sensors. She seems to be counting afterwards. I would guess that she is counting all the weird things that have happened to her recently, like, "one...this happened....then two...this happened...and three...this elevator won't move."

The fact that she is jumping out and in to the elevator in a relatively playful way suggests to me that she does not view whoever is following her to be a major threat. She seems quite cheerful when she originally enters the elevator. Her body language is very relaxed.

I don't have a coherent theory in my mind yet, so I'm going to keep it open minded.

Bottom line - if she willingly went into a water tank then the lid should have been open. I don't see someone jumping in and then shutting the lid before drowning themselves.

Vancouver’s Elisa Lam remembered for cheerful and charismatic personality

Yvonne Chung went to the same high school as Lam, who was a year older, and described her as “incredibly outgoing” and somebody who was friends with everybody.

“And really, she had the sweetest smile,” she told Metro Wednesday.

Teika Steins, manager of Planet Traveler, said Lam stayed at the Toronto hostel for about a week in early December and she never noticed any odd behaviour from the University of B.C. student.

“Her personality was very contagious,” she said. “She had a very charismatic personality and we were drawn towards it. She’d run down the stairs, bouncing up and down.”

“We have a lot of people come and go, but when you have people like Elisa who are cheerful all the time and very welcoming to people, you just remember them,” Steins said, adding Lam joined her and other hostel staff for dinner at one time.

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/...red-for-cheerful-and-charismatic-personality/

QMI Agency learned that a door leading to the rooftop water tanks where her body was found was fitted with an alarm that should have sounded when the door was opened.
The alarm system would have rung continuously until it was turned off using a special key, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. It is unclear if the alarm rang the night Lam went missing and who had access to the key.

snipped

The alarm is a large part of the investigation into how Lam died and why her body was discovered in the rooftop tank, said L.A. Police Department spokesman Officer Christopher No.

"That will play a role to see if that was locked or not or who had access to that," No said.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2013/02/20130220-195344.html

I just watched that video again and it looks like she went right down the middle.

I think so too...but do you think she also pressed 14 - at the top going right down the middle???

cuz if she did, it would seem she is on the 14th floor and that's why the light doesn't go on like catchew posted earlier...

I also wondered if pushing the button for the floor you are already on would also delay the door closing...???

IF so, combined with having pushed the HOLD DOOR button, it starts to make better sense why the elevator continued to sit there...door STILL opened...

but really i dunno.

Just trying to make sense of it, like all of YOU. Tho none of this could ever really make any good sense.

Still so strange...especially if the delay in the elevator ultimately leads to her demise....there are moments in time where one might say 'stranger things have happened' accept in Elisa's case I'm not so sure.

From a local Ontario (Canada) newspaper, AP source:

- guests have been ordered not to drink the water, water test results from Public Health not available until Thursday [so who said there was no biohazard?]

- according to two guests, the water had been a "dribble" for days

- a ladder would have to be taken to the platform [from this I take it's not left beside the water tanks - you'd have to go get it]

Hope I'm allowed to link to this:
http://www.therecord.com/news/canad...nd-wedged-in-water-tank-of-downtown-l-a-hotel

I think so too...but do you think she also pressed 14 - at the top going right down the middle???

cuz if she did, it would seem she is on the 14th floor and that's why the light doesn't go on like catchew posted earlier...

I also wondered if pushing the button for the floor you are already on would also delay the door closing...???

IF so, combined with having pushed the HOLD DOOR button, it starts to make better sense why the elevator continued to sit there...door STILL opened...

but really i dunno.

Just trying to make sense of it, like all of YOU. Tho none of this could ever really make any good sense.

Still so strange...especially if the delay in the elevator ultimately leads to her demise....there are moments in time where one might say 'stranger things have happened' accept in Elisa's case I'm not so sure.

Im thinking she is on the 15th floor she presses 14-10-7-4 but the elevator wont go anywhere for her. You know whe she gets out of the elevator and it appears like she is waving her arms in a strange way if you notice as she steps off the elevator she clutches her throat kind of i was wondering if she was sprayed with something. she waves her arms then starts counting on her fingers very strange I do think she was on the 15th floor and never left after that. As the elevator descends the floors appear to be diff colors as the doors open dont know if we can find out what floor she is on by the hall colors

I don't know if I'm allowed to link to stories on Officer.com, but in today's article about this case they mention that residents thought "something was amiss" for days (wrt flooding and water pressure). I thought it was interesting that they mention residents, not guests. So maybe this didn't happen in the hostel portion of the property? Also, days. It's unclear to me whether they mean the water pressure issue was ongoing for days, or they mean days between the flooding and the water pressure problem.

Also, they give Jan 31 as the date for the elevator footage, while CTV puts it at Feb. 1. Given that the date/time stamp on the video is blurred, I wonder where each of these news outlets is coming up with a date.

Here you go, HawksGirl:

http://www.officer.com/news/10882153/womans-body-found-in-water-tank-of-la-hotel

Capt. Jaime Moore with the Los Angeles Fire Department said the tank where the body was found supplied the rooms with water for showers and sinks, as well as being used to clean the hotel's linens.

Rescue crews cut into the side of the cistern with a chain saw to remove the body after draining the holding tank.

Im thinking she is on the 15th floor she presses 14-10-7-4 but the elevator wont go anywhere for her. You know whe she gets out of the elevator and it appears like she is waving her arms in a strange way if you notice as she steps off the elevator she clutches her throat kind of i was wondering if she was sprayed with something. she waves her arms then starts counting on her fingers very strange I do think she was on the 15th floor and never left after that. As the elevator descends the floors appear to be diff colors as the doors open dont know if we can find out what floor she is on by the hall colors

My eyes are telling me the top button isn't lit up tho...there's a still shot from the video here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8876222&postcount=216"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013[/ame]

I thot it seemed more like 10, 7, 4, M...

I'm looking again - getting magnifier lol

So here's my next question:

If interviewed guests are correct and the water had been a "dribble" for days... why didn't maintenance check the tanks until Tuesday?

Or maybe this wasn't the first time they'd looked in those tanks....

Or maybe the Cecil is so crappy that no water flow is considered par for the course...

In my opinion, there are only a few plausible explanations:

She flew down to LA with the intention of 1) meeting someone she met online, or 2) she met someone spontaneously while on her trip who lived in the Hotel Cecil, and that person introduced her to hallucinogens.

On what was likely the beginning of a bad trip (based on her body language in the elevator), she was either 1) taken advantage of and murdered by the aforementioned individual, or 2) she OD'ed, her acquaintance panicked, and subsequently disposed of her body in an effort to avoid responsibility for her death. The fact she was found naked in the tank suggests the former may be liklier, but its also plausible that she was having sex with the acquaintance in his condo, and he didn't bother to put her clothes back on when disposing of the body.

Either way, there's not a chance in hell she gained access to the roof and climbed in a freaking water tank with an opening slightly larger than a shoebox on her own in that mental state, and her acquaintance who did 1) murder her or 2) supplied the drugs which led to her death had an intimiate knowledge of the building. In all honestly, this suggests that the person was a hotel employee, or a resident in the building and friend of a hotel employee who provided the person with the key allowing roof access (I am a former DTLA resident, and I can attest that the view from the Cecil Hotel has to be awesome -- I'm sure some of the more brazen residents have discovered a way to get up there and enjoy it).

One more point: Main Street is *NOT* Skid Row. The heart of Skid Row is San Pedro and 8th, which is several blocks away. While transients do traverse up to Main Street, the bulk of them rarely pass Los Angeles Street, which is a block to the east. While walking on that part of Main Street can definitely be dicey at night, the Spring Street and Main Street corridors have changed considerably in just the last year for the better -- there are plenty of residential buildings, bars and restaurants on that street which are now inhabited and enjoyed by successful artisans, hipsters, etc.

In other words, I have trouble buying that a crazed bum followed her into the building. Her playful state in the elevator suggests that she was accompanied by someone who was also tripping balls.

I just watched the elevator video. Believe it or not, I do not find her behavior strange, nor do I think she was on any type of drug.

What I think was happening: (IMO, and I don't even know if this is possible for someone to do with elevators or the video - but this is the thoughts I had when watching it).

My guess is an employee had been befriending her, or joking around with her earlier during her stay at the hotel. I think this employee is messing with her with the elevator.

I agree. The video freaked me out after thinking what it could mean, but my initial thought was she was playing hide-and-seek or involved in some kind of prank or acting something out as a joke. She does not seem frightened, but she does seem slightly frustrated -- possibly a playful frustration. Like "come on, what are you trying to do to me make me lose my mind?"

To me, there is a caveat though. If there is another camera in the hallway to which she is making the hand motions, this would be consistent with some kind of joke (or assumed joke) with security or maintenance. If not, still no clue.

If she was in a normal state of mind, either the person really was just playing with her (and something happened later), or this was something more sinister trying to frighten her and she took it as a joke.

So here's my next question:

If interviewed guests are correct and the water had been a "dribble" for days... why didn't maintenance check the tanks until Tuesday?

Or maybe this wasn't the first time they'd looked in those tanks....

Or maybe the Cecil is so crappy that no water flow is considered par for the course...

BBM

I wondered that, too! On many of the reviews for the hotel on Google reviews, people mention no water pressure.

However, imo, no water pressure is a given for any hotel I've ever stayed in.

But no water pressure does not = dribble.....

*sigh*

I thot it seemed more like 10, 7, 4, M...

I'm looking again - getting magnifier lol

From what I can see, it appears she pokes it 7 times going down, and the top button does not stay lit up for whatever reason. Either she is already on the 14th or something is wrong with the elevator button.

If she poked it 7 times going down, then I think that includes the Hold button, which doesn't make any sense to me.

After analyzing this again, when she gets off the elevator at the end, you can see the top 4 buttons are lit up. When it goes to the next floor, only 3 buttons are lit up. And when it goes to the one after that, only 2 buttons are lit up. It's possible that she was on the 15th floor and the 14 button simply didn't work so the elevator went right to 10. However, notice that the top button does light up while she is pressing on it which kind of implies that the button is probably working. The more straight forward explanation is that she is already on the 14th floor. But why would she be on the 14th floor? They should go and check to see if the buttons are working. I believe they could look at the video and probably tell by the colors of the walls/floor patterns etc to figure out which floor it is.

Looking at this video however only raises more questions (if the elevator button picture you have is correct). I didn't really notice this, but when she goes into the elevator again, she presses the exact same floors. All the ones in the middle. I have no real explanation for that. If I wanted to make the elevator move and I was going on random floors, I would start pressing other floors, not just the same ones. A big mystery of the button pressing is this: Why does it seem like she never presses the "door close" button? I mean, when I am in an elevator that does not appear to be responding, that's the first thing I would press. I don't believe she ever presses that. Also, it wouldn't make sense why she would be pressing the "hold" button. It doesn't matter if she doesn't have her glasses, if she's standing that close she would be able to see it.

IMO, Asian people are typically very polite. I think Elisa could have been talking very animatedly with someone in the hallway (whether housekeeping staff, security, maintenance, etc) about why the elevator wasn't working. When she popped back into the elevator though, and huddled in the corner .. and then huddled even further into the corner .. IMO she was showing concern. I think she felt something was wrong, but did not wish to offend someone with any type of confrontational approach, or appear to be over-reacting if it was a legitimate situation.

IF she was frightened of someone/something, the elevator never took her off that floor and away from whatever that was. IMO, exit left took her directly toward the cause of her fear.

Now we know about the low water pressure, but I wonder if the "flooding" was a situation that happened before she disappeared. Perhaps it was in her room, and she was panicking trying to get help for that situation?

Does anyone else think we are seeing this horrible crime take place in this video? The police probably have tons of video of Elisa in the elevator during her stay, but they chose to release this one. I think that she is being attacked at the end, from behind. Her feet are jumping and really unnatural looking (more so than the hand movements) while she is flailing her hands. At 1:53 -2:25 if you watch her legs and feet they are doing very weird jerky movements. Perhaps someone behind her holding her hair or neck... scary as heck! I definatley think she is struggling with someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fangirl88