CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did she know sign language? That was my initial thought at her hand movements or speaking to someone who didn't speak the same language. Like she was using hand gestures to indicate what she was looking for.

Accidental, coincidental ??

- she was in LA when it was not on her itinerary but ended up being the place of her death

- she was in touch with her family every day until she disappeared

- she has a breakdown before or while on a malfunctioning elevator that appears to function normally after she exits

- she then makes a decision to check out the rooftop through a locked/alarmed door that not only was able to be opened by her, but must have a malfunctioning alarm

- that rooftop happens to have water tanks with ladders and unlocked hatches

- she climbs a ladder presumably still wearing sandals or flip flops (not found during an initial rooftop search by dogs; otherwise LE would have been the ones to find her, not a maintenance worker)

- she teeters atop the ladder and figures out how to open the hatch and pops herself to her death

Possible I guess, but i'm not buying it.

I just watched the video for the first time, and I think the random hand movements and the stepping in and out are her way of trying to stimulate the motion sensors of the elevator door. She thinks that the door won't close because it still "senses" her, and that's why she stands in the corner.

On a creepier note, are those security cameras monitored in real time by a security guard? Can the elevators be controlled by the security system? Seems like someone could be watching her and deliberately "holding" the elevator. I dunno. Maybe that's a movie I watched. Ties in with the theory that it could be a hotel employee, though. Someone that couldn't leave the premises after they committed this heinous crime, and hid her body in the best hiding spot in the hotel. They would also have access to erasing any security video that would be incriminating.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

On a creepier note, are those security cameras monitored in real time by a security guard? Can the elevators be controlled by the security system? Seems like someone could be watching her and deliberately "holding" the elevator.
<rsbm>

I've kind of thought along those lines too ... even wondering if that speaker on the elevator panel is a 2-way, and someone was talking through it and she kept popping out to see if the person was outside the elevator somewhere.

Always a possibility? Laughable if it wasn't so terrible. And yes someone from the family should ID her. Of course it is a terrible task.

Essential because the video appears to have been manipulated, why? And the release of the video is possibly intended to lead things in a certain direction - potentially by people who already knew she was dead.

Everything speaks against this being an accidental death EXCEPT (and then not persuasively IMO) for that few minutes of video - with newspaper articles obligingly stressing she is acting strangely. Yes I think it nearly certain that it is her - but to trust LAPD on this is dangerous IMO. They should ID her themselves, the immediate family - it is ESSENTIAL to do this.

Someone saying they saw a birthmark is not enough - it is not enough typically to ID victims of traffic accidents why accept it here? First things first.

They need to use DNA or dental. There is NO reason to make the family ID her. That's just cruel. :twocents:

- she was in LA when it was not on her itinerary but ended up being the place of her death

- she has a breakdown before or while on a malfunctioning elevator that appears to function normally after she exits

- she then makes a decision to check out the rooftop through a locked/alarmed door that not only was able to be opened by her, but must have a malfunctioning alarm

- she climbs a ladder presumably still wearing sandals or flip flops (not found during an initial rooftop search by dogs; otherwise LE would have been the ones to find her, not a maintenance worker)

- she teeters atop the ladder and figures out how to open the hatch and pops herself to her death

And then CLOSES the tank behind herself as well. :waitasec:

The ONLY way I see this not being an intentional murder is this.
IF she had something slipped into a drink or something... and was starting to feel the effects of it.
Grabbing her head, acting a bit dizzy, things like that. Unable to see well without her glasses.

IF she was convinced (correctly or not) that someone was chasing her... and ran up to the roof (would have to be open.)
IF there was a ladder on the tank and she ran in to get away from the person chasing her.

Not rational, but if she was drugged and/or scared she may not have been rational.
Without that scenario... I think it has to be a murder. An accidental death wouldn't be put in the water tank. :twocents:

And really, the water tank doesn't seem like the best way to cover up a homicide.
Depending on the cause of death, staging a a suicide might have worked. (Someone's jumped off the building before...)

I have no idea whether or not she was in the grips of a psychotic episode, drugs, or what have you, but I will say that the more I hear these speculations, the more and more I wonder WHY the LAPD chose to release this video -- or at least, the full content of this video (up to her weird hand movements, and on to the shots of the elevator moving on its own after she disappears from view). Surely they foresaw that it would inspire exactly this kind of speculation. But to what end? I'd really like to know what their reasoning was.

Good evening everyone. Specifically joined the website because of my interest in this case (hometown Vancouver). My background is specifically in the areas of international security, as well as critical infrastructure protection. Would love to be able to add my two cents in when I can.

Unfortunately this thread has moved fast, so I am unable to remember what I wanted to debate originally.

However, have we considered body dynamics of transporting the deceased? Dead weight, even of a smaller individual is immensely difficult to handle. From previous pictures, we can see that access to the water tank was likely from the aluminum ladder. I would argue that carrying a body would require above average strength and coordination. I would even go so far to argue one of two things from my experience: Elisa was alive or more than one person was involved in the disposal.

For those who have done military/firemen carries, you can recall that it's difficult, but remains doable because the person is reacting to you. With a dead body, there is no cooperation, and even light weights are exponentially harder to deal with.

Love to hear some feedback on this.

It is possible, I think. Someone posted about the body of a woman being found in a water tank in another case. But that's one case of a whole body being hefted up a ladder and into a tank.

I believe it is very hard to do. Not impossible, but improbable for most people.

Just watched the elevator video and it's just weird. Has her family released what they think about it? Is this normal behavior for her? I almost think she is drugged or drunk with her hand movements? Very, very strange. Was the elevator door just opening at the end or was it going to the different levels that she pushed? And why would anyone push all the floors on an elevator?

BBM. Maybe they would if they are psychotic and don't know what they are doing?

As a Psychiatric Nurse with extensive experience I will give you my two cents worth.

IMHO her behaviour is that of someone experiencing psychosis.

1. The "holiday" alone with no fixed plans
2. History of depression - more severe mental illnesses like Schizophrenia can often first present as depression. The stress of school could have brought this on.
3. Her behaviour in the elevator looks to me like someone experiencing paranoid ideation and possibly command hallucinations (voices telling her to do something like press all the buttons). The hiding and peeking out the door is a response to the paranoid thoughts that "someone is out to get her"
4. The wild gesticulating in the corridor to seemingly nobody is a response to internal stimuli - (voices in her head).
5. She probably hid in the water tank to escape her perceived threat. People experiencing psychosis do not make rational plans.

Thanks. I'm certainly no mental health expert but I've observed people with schizophrenia or mental health issues for most of my life. I'm also just a people observer in general but anything different catches my interest. Looked like psychosis to me, pretty much immediately.

I can't believe this was any kind of accident or suicide. Some of the articles said she was found nude at the bottom of the water tank. If no clothes were found next to the tank, I don't believe she walked to the roof naked! I also don't believe she climbed the ladder to the water tank and jumped in. The alarm would have gone off and the door to the roof was locked. Could she have been grabbed while she was in the hall shower room taking a shower? The one person said he heard a lot of noise on the floor above him the night she went missing. Also, the flooding could have been from the water being left on. But how would a predator get a naked girl from the 4th floor shower to the roof and wouldn't her clothes and bath supplies be left behind in the shower room? I think someone grabbed her somewhere in the hotel, raped and killed her, and disposed of her body in the water tank--probably a hotel employee who had a key to the roof and knew how to turn off the alarm. But why did no one see her being taken to the roof, and it would have probably taken 2 people to get her into the water tank unless the one was so high on drugs as to have super strength. Maybe someone drugged the girl too. As for the elevator video, I don't know what she was doing but I have seen oriental and Philippine woman talk with their hands in an animated way in everyday conversation and also scoot around quickly in a jerky way different from how most American woman would walk. An example is the Philippine lady who does my hair. She has manerisms similar to what Ellisa was showing as far as the hand gestures and the scooting around quickly. It is possible that Elisa's body was blocking the water and creating the low water pressure. I can imagine how horrified people would feel upon finding that they drank and brushed their teeth and washed with water from the tank Elisa was floating in (or sinking in). I really don't think she went up to the roof in a manic state and did this to herself. I hope the police investigators can unravel what happened before it happens to another young woman.

Here's some articles and stats on accidents, suicides and schizophrenia (average age for onset of women is 25, BTW):
Patients with schizophrenia suffer mortality rates estimated to be twice that of the general population and have a foreshortened life expectancy. Nearly one-third of the excess mortality in schizophrenia is attributable to the significantly higher risk of suicide, with an additional 12% due to accidental death. http://www.primarypsychiatry.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1517

Suicide Risk
People with the condition have a 50 times higher risk of attempting suicide than the general population; the risk of suicide is very serious in people with schizophrenia. Suicide is the number one cause of premature death among people with schizophrenia, with an estimated 10 percent to 13 percent killing themselves and approximately 40% attempting suicide at least once (and as much as 60% of males attempting suicide). The extreme depression and psychoses that can result due to lack of treatment are the usual causes. These suicides rates can be compared to the general population, which is somewhere around 0.01%. http://www.schizophrenia.com/szfacts.htm

Deaths due to Suicide Map 482, some of which will be due to schizophrenia, are counted separately. There is also an increased risk of Accidental death Map 474.http://www.worldmapper.org/display_extra.php?selected=441
Here's a link to an video presentation at a conference on suicide and accidental deaths in first episode schizophrenia: http://vimeo.com/channels/iepa2012/55528614

What about her lack of clothes? I found a lot of anecdotal evidence that taking one's clothes off is a byproduct of psychosis or mania:
Ever run naked when psychotic or manic?

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/56349-ever-run-naked-when-psychotic-or-manic/

Naked Lunch

Why do allegedly psychotic people such as the Miami face-eater take off their clothes?

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ater_why_do_psychotic_people_strip_nude_.html

And there's this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGiR2TmeNYc"]Kony 2012 -- Jason Russell&#39;s Naked Meltdown - YouTube[/ame]

So, I think that's why LE suggests suicide or accident as possibilities.

But just because it is a possibility doesn't mean that's all they are looking at. Obviously, the difficulty of getting up on that roof is an issue. So is her lack of clothes unless they found them in her room or nearby.

As you can tell, I am 100% convinced that Elisa suffered a psychotic episode. But people in such states are very vulnerable to predators and to crime in general:
They are more likely than other women to be victims of crime, particularly assault and rape, which also take a terrible toll on body and mind. http://www.michaelbfriedman.com/mbf/images/stories/VULNERABILITY_OF_MI_Women.pdf

Individuals with severe psychiatric disorders who were not taking medication were found to be 2.7 times more likely to be the victim of a violent crime (assault, rape, or mugging) than the general population.http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/consequences/victimization.html

More than one quarter of persons with SMI had been victims of a violent crime in the past year, a rate more than 11 times higher than the general population rates even after controlling for demographic differences between the 2 samples (P<.001). The annual incidence of violent crime in the SMI sample (168.2 incidents per 1000 persons) is more than 4 times higher than the general population rates (39.9 incidents per 1000 persons) (P<.001). Depending on the type of violent crime (rape/sexual assault, robbery, assault, and their subcategories), prevalence was 6 to 23 times greater among persons with SMI than among the general population.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1389236/

Women with mental illness are significantly more likely to be
victims of violent crime than other women. http://consensusproject.org/downloads/vaw-brief.pdf

Whatever happened, I think it is clear that Elisa was a very vulnerable, young person at the time she died and I hope LE can figure out what happened. But the fact that they are looking at certain possibilities doesn't rule out that they are looking at other possibilities. I'm confused about the anger that LE is being broad in its investigation.

I have no idea whether or not she was in the grips of a psychotic episode, drugs, or what have you, but I will say that the more I hear these speculations, the more and more I wonder WHY the LAPD chose to release this video -- or at least, the full content of this video (up to her weird hand movements, and on to the shots of the elevator moving on its own after she disappears from view). Surely they foresaw that it would inspire exactly this kind of speculation. But to what end? I'd really like to know what their reasoning was.

So that people who may have seen her would be able to recognize her. The more they see of her body language, etc., the better chance they might have had at recognizing her. It seems one guy may have. Somewhere on here I saw that a man says he saw someone not far from the hotel who looked a lot like Elisa, who was singing at the top of her lungs in the street.

So that people who may have seen her would be able to recognize her. The more they see of her body language, etc., the better chance they might have had at recognizing her. It seems one guy may have. Somewhere on here I saw that a man says he saw someone not far from the hotel who looked a lot like Elisa, who was singing at the top of her lungs in the street.

He said he had seen her the previous Saturday (which would have been Feb 9). She would have had to make it back to the Cecil unseen by all who knew she was missing.

Surely they foresaw that it would inspire exactly this kind of speculation. But to what end? I'd really like to know what their reasoning was.
<rsbm>

This is a crime sleuthing forum. Everyone's theory can only be speculation until such time as we know the outcome of any case on the board. I'm sure if someone had posted that she would be found in a water tank on top of the building, they would have been speculating.

QMI Agency learned that a door leading to the rooftop water tanks where her body was found was fitted with an alarm that should have sounded when the door was opened.
The alarm system would have rung continuously until it was turned off using a special key, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. It is unclear if the alarm rang the night Lam went missing and who had access to the key.

snipped

The alarm is a large part of the investigation into how Lam died and why her body was discovered in the rooftop tank, said L.A. Police Department spokesman Officer Christopher No.

"That will play a role to see if that was locked or not or who had access to that," No said.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/world/archives/2013/02/20130220-195344.html

Also, from this article:

"Moore said the eight-foot-high tank in which Lam's body was found after she'd been missing for three weeks had ladders on the outside and hatches without locks on the top. There were no ladders inside the tanks."

But even if she was in a psychotic episode and stripped off her clothes... WHERE are her clothes?
She would have been throwing them in the hall or on the roof and as far as we know none have been found.
Either her clothes are in the tank with her, or someone disposed of them.
If she's psychotic, she isn't going to hide her clothes... :waitasec:

I believe earlier in this thread several people posted that it appeared as if she had hit the "hold door" button or something similar. I'm certainly no expert on elevators and don't know how long that would hold a door open.

I stayed at that hotel once. It's really big and about two streets over is skid row with people living in tents on the sidewalks. I have to admit I felt uncomfortable in the halls at night. The elevator was really old and probably had some problems but I can't remember much about it. They were just very old and probably temperamental. I think there were two elevators side by side.

There was zero security from my recollection. Anyone could walk in and get on the elevators. I think some of the rooms were shared with more than one traveller. My room was a two person room, which I shared with one other traveller. We had our own washroom, but other rooms had to use a shared washroom outside in the hall. The pictures of the hotel are quite deceiving. I think some of the floors have been renovated, while others have not. There seemed to be a lot if renos going on, but remember, it's a big place. There is probably some way of getting a body to the roof if you are a guest or someone who knows their way around the place like any of the construction workers that have visited it over the years. Fire escape perhaps?

I can't tell which floor she is on in this picture. If she was on her floor and trying to get down, I can sort of see why she might act a bit strangely. The halls were the creepiest part of that place. The arm waving could be something she is doing as she's talking to herself/panicking about not being able to get the elevator moving. Just a guess.

The big question I have is she trying to go up or down?

I read about Elisa's death yesterday, in the Dailymail. I also watched the elevator video. For some reason i found it one of the most disturbing things i've ever seen, the hairs on the back of neck stood on end!

I knew there would be a thread for Elisa on here, and i spent last night reading every comment...i can tell you, when i read the reviews of the hotel and area Elisa was staying at i felt terrified.....i have real fears and anxiety of being anywhere where i may be vunerable, and looking at Elisa trying to use the lift in that empty corridor just filled me with complete dread.

Now, the previous poster said that when Elisa tried to use the lift it wasn't in the lobby. When she enters the lift she seems like she enters it normally and only starts to act strange when the lift doors don't shut. Could she have come from her room nearby, because if she wasn't in the lobby, then surely she must be going down? Maybe someone is around the corner saying something in a creepy way (which we cannot hear) and that is why she keeps jumping out to see who is there. Maybe they followed her, heard her leave her room....argh!!!!.......i frightens me thinking about it.

Also, from this article:

"Moore said the eight-foot-high tank in which Lam's body was found after she'd been missing for three weeks had ladders on the outside and hatches without locks on the top. There were no ladders inside the tanks."

I wonder who "Moore" is. His name doesn't appear anywhere else in the article. I don't see any ladders that are permanently affixed to the tanks ... just regular run-of-the-mill movable ones.

Here's a pic from a different angle which shows windows from an adjacent tower in close proximity to the tanks:

http://i.theloop.ca/imageproxy/imag...lt.png&signature=X90qoqxirCPVLLpU10RB9NObXRI=

ETA: Okay, found out that "Moore" must be Captain Moore of the Fire Department.

Now this is weird ... how come this pic from approximately the same angle doesn't show the same windows/buildings? :confused:

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/elisa-lam-death.jpg?w=620

Maybe i'll just head to bed and it will all look different in the morning :eek:fftobed:

Curious that she would push what appears to be one row of the hotels 15 floor selection buttons as I understand the buiding has 15 floors. Not sure if it is looped video because she does this twice although I should admit I should review this because there is a timer on the video if my memorie serves me.
The maner in which she moves appears a bit odd notice the little hop she makes, the shifting of the feet and hand movements. I've often witnessed people whom are high and others whom are suffering from phycosis move in this fashion.
The door does not seem to close or even budge on its own in typical elevator fashion almost as if this may be a service elevator or in service mode, possibly the elevator is to be operated by an attendant?

These are the trails I wish I could look into.
Just checked in,
Wattch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members