CA - Cash App Creator, Bob Lee, Stabbed to Death, San Francisco, Apr 2023 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NM's attorney also mentioned "accident," when she said "self-defense or accident." I guess she could argue that Bob Lee turned aggressive with the knife and a fight between the men ensued and he got stabbed. Something like that. A kind of accidental self-defense. But the prosecution is arguing that Bob Lee's DNA was on the blade, and NM's DNA was on the knife handle.

eta The prosecution also said that it wasn't an accident, the three-inch knife went in four inches, so it was thrust with intent, not an accident.

Canny made light of the knife when she spoke with the media, something like it was a little paring knife from the kitchen. She's revolting, JMO.
It will be interesting to see what they have on video. It is much easier to make up some story based on what can be seen on the video. Canny has nothing to lose, as this is a very weak case... there is just too much evidence against Nima. The reality is soon going to sink in for Nima. His sister will likely spend the rest of her life in hiding.

Lots of info about Moment here.

Nima Momeni, the man accused of killing Cash App founder and tech executive Bob Lee, was not quite the successful tech bro the early reporting on his life suggested. Instead, in interviews with two former professional relations, two former friends, an ex-girlfriend, and other sources, the 38-year-old Momeni emerges as a man living on the edge, his business struggling at times and his personal life unraveling as his drug use persisted.

Snip

Paula Canny, the lawyer who will defend him in court, denied the allegations about her client. “I don’t think that’s true,” she said. “I don’t think that he had a drug problem, a serious drug problem. Based on the info that I have, I certainly wouldn’t classify him as a drug addict.”

Momeni knew Lee through his sister, Khazar. Khazar and Lee had known each other for several years, according to Canny and a police witness. Another source close to Lee said the tech executive met Khazar at the Battery, an invite-only social club near the Embarcadero that costs $2,800 annually and hosts events for members, like wine tastings, an après-ski party, and burlesque bingo.

Lee, Canny said, “walked away completely fine, walked at least a football field — over a football field” and talked to his Uber driver, presumably referring to a car in surveillance footage that Lee appears to try to flag down.

District Attorney Brooke Jenkins, in a press conference after today’s hearing, said that the nine days between the killing and the arrest was not a delay “in the grand scheme of things.” The decision not to interview Momeni, she said, was an investigative decision made by the police department.

The knife in question, which the DA’s office alleges had a four-inch blade, was used to inflict a five-inch-deep wound, prosecutor Talai said today — apparently referring to the exertion with which the knife was thrust at Lee.

Lee, Canny said, “walked away completely fine, walked at least a football field — over a football field” and talked to his Uber driver, presumably referring to a car in surveillance footage that Lee appears to try to flag down.

District Attorney Brooke Jenkins, in a press conference after today’s hearing, said that the nine days between the killing and the arrest was not a delay “in the grand scheme of things.” The decision not to interview Momeni, she said, was an investigative decision made by the police department.

The knife in question, which the DA’s office alleges had a four-inch blade, was used to inflict a five-inch-deep wound, prosecutor Talai said today — apparently referring to the exertion with which the knife was thrust at Lee.
Wow, talk about reframing the facts. He did not walk away completely fine as he was dying!

Mission Local has learned that Nima Momeni, the alleged killer of tech executive Bob Lee, lawyered up days prior to his April 13 arrest for murder, apparently in preparation for a legal battle to come.

Attorney Paula Canny declined to confirm when she was hired to represent Momeni, saying that it would “open a can of worms.”

Wow, talk about reframing the facts. He did not walk away completely fine as he was dying!
She's reframing and manipulating the facts from the get go. Is this the woman's strategy? To confuse a future jury, sow seeds of doubt?
What is this woman's reputation? Does she usually gaslight like this?

"..walked away completely fine..." Is she for real?

That's totally conjecture. You make it sound like Bob Lee had a "secret life." I think his ex knew him pretty well and they had a good relationship. Also, do we know if Bob Lee had custody of the children or not? I thought MSM had reported that he moved to Florida with his children and father.
My post was contextual and in reply to someone about something specific, ie his ex-wife having no idea about this side of him. I offered an idea as to why. It's just a possibility, just my opinion of why she didn't know when everyone else apparently did, and I stated such. That's not victim blaming, I literally don't care whatsoever what somebody does in their free time, but one of these people he partied with is now charged with his murder, so its kinda relevant what he was doing in his spare time even though I don't judge it at all. Also I don't know what his custody status was and don't think its relevant (visitation, custody, its all whatever at this point), its merely just a possible reason why he wouldn't have told his ex.

Prosecutors say Elyassnia, 37, was with Lee on the day he died and texted him around the same time he was stabbed and bled out on a San Francisco street. Police do not suspect she was involved in his murder.

However, Elyassnia remains a key component to the case, as Momeni is accused of stabbing Lee, 43, whom he did not know well, hours after angrily confronting him about his sister’s alleged drug use and “inappropriate” behavior, police said.

The siblings have been described by friends as being incredibly close to each other. Following Lee’s passing Elyassnia enlisted a team of attorneys who did not respond to The Post’s request for comment Friday.

Momeni’s attorney, Paula Canny, claimed Elyassnia had not hear from police until after her brother’s arrest, and that she merly “asked for her lawyer to be present,” if they were to interview her.

Elyassnia’s husband, Dino, had accompanied her to Momeni’s earlier arraignments, but since the news of Lee’s alleged closeness to his wife, he has not been seen.

Lots of info about Moment here.

Nima Momeni, the man accused of killing Cash App founder and tech executive Bob Lee, was not quite the successful tech bro the early reporting on his life suggested. Instead, in interviews with two former professional relations, two former friends, an ex-girlfriend, and other sources, the 38-year-old Momeni emerges as a man living on the edge, his business struggling at times and his personal life unraveling as his drug use persisted.

Snip

Paula Canny, the lawyer who will defend him in court, denied the allegations about her client. “I don’t think that’s true,” she said. “I don’t think that he had a drug problem, a serious drug problem. Based on the info that I have, I certainly wouldn’t classify him as a drug addict.”
He wasn't making a complete sentence...interesting. Curious if prosecution will seek out the "friends" to testify? moo

From article:

While Momeni has yet to enter a plea and Canny maintains he will plead not guilty, sources say that Momeni confronted multiple challenges in his own life, that his accomplishments were exaggerated, and that his business did not always run smoothly — a development that friends blamed on his drug use.

Momeni had “a massive drug problem that made him unable to reason and speak,” said one friend, who, like many for this article, spoke on the condition of anonymity. The friend said Momeni blew off attempts by friends to intervene. “This is one of those things where [we’d say], ‘Nima, you’re cool, we love you, but you don’t make full sentences.’”

So...is it a reasonable assumption that Bob Lee did not have his phone with him? If he walked 100 yards and didn't dial 911?

He surely wouldn't have dialed for an uber after being stabbed - or would he? I didn't think it was "his" uber, from the other reporting.

I just saw a man trying to get help from a passing car (and trying to get through a door of some kind). I didn't think he had time to call an uber. Esp not in SF (or, really, anywhere I've ever been in California). It takes 10-20 minutes for an uber to arrive in my own town (just checked; it's between 14-18 minutes, so I was close). Just checked SF Embarcadero as well - it's a bit shorter of a wait (5-9 minutes). If it was his uber, why didn't it stop for him? Yikes.

IMO.

So...is it a reasonable assumption that Bob Lee did not have his phone with him? If he walked 100 yards and didn't dial 911?

He surely wouldn't have dialed for an uber after being stabbed - or would he? I didn't think it was "his" uber, from the other reporting.

I just saw a man trying to get help from a passing car (and trying to get through a door of some kind). I didn't think he had time to call an uber. Esp not in SF (or, really, anywhere I've ever been in California). It takes 10-20 minutes for an uber to arrive in my own town (just checked; it's between 14-18 minutes, so I was close). Just checked SF Embarcadero as well - it's a bit shorter of a wait (5-9 minutes). If it was his uber, why didn't it stop for him? Yikes.

IMO.
I believe it has been established that Bob had a phone and called 911. Canny apparently recently disclosed he had called a ride share and that ride share driver drove away after Bob approached.

There is no indication (yet) that Bob ordered the ride share vehicle after being stabbed. The charging documents indicate a car matching NM’s vehicle parked under the bridge and a while passed before the occupants were seen outside the car. There is a gap of perhaps 15 minutes that might have been spent parked together inside the vehicle.

I can just as easily imagine a scenario in which Bob thought he would be dropped at his hotel, 3 blocks away from sister’s, then found himself feeling vulnerable after a detour and called a ride share vehicle to avoid further conflict. I can imagine him talking outside of the vehicle for 5 minutes because he was waiting for his ride. The timing of the ride share request could influence my imagination, of course. As far as I know, that has not yet been disclosed.

Once he was stabbed and abandoned, it makes sense to me that he might have walked toward populated locations in an effort to draw attention and still hoping his ride would show. If it took him several minutes to call 911, I can imagine he was in shock and hoping his ride was almost there while also trying to grab the attention of local residents. Perhaps he only thought to call 911 after his expected ride drove away. JMO.

Last edited:

Mission Local has learned that Nima Momeni, the alleged killer of tech executive Bob Lee, lawyered up days prior to his April 13 arrest for murder, apparently in preparation for a legal battle to come.

Attorney Paula Canny declined to confirm when she was hired to represent Momeni, saying that it would “open a can of worms.”

I need a big question mark emoji to respond to this.

Is that a good admission by an attorney?

jmo

.@TVAshleigh questions Paula Canny on how her client allegedly "accidentally" stabbed Cash App founder Bob Lee three times and then drove away. "How does a person who's been mortally wounded walk a football field away?" Canny says.

More: https://trib.al/aiKOcLI #Banfield

For those who may be wondering, the distance of a football field is roughly a city block. It’s 360 feet or approximately .11 km.

Bob walked the length of one apartment building, spanning half a block, crossed an intersection to a parked car (possibly rideshare vehicle) that then drove away, then doubled back across the intersection and back to the apartment building entrance, about 1/4 of the way back down the 400 block of Main St.

.@TVAshleigh questions Paula Canny on how her client allegedly "accidentally" stabbed Cash App founder Bob Lee three times and then drove away. "How does a person who's been mortally wounded walk a football field away?" Canny says........
She says she's not going to do that, well... Paula Canny is going to have to do it when this goes to trial so she might as well try to give a reasonable answer now. What she is saying is just not believable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavakaga
Back