CA - Cash App Creator, Bob Lee, Stabbed to Death, San Francisco, Apr 2023 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
since he was 20 shouldn't there be a criminal record and how did it take this long to dig that up

Aren't many reporters these days. Especially at the Chron. They may have kept the story for a week past the last one, as newspapers do when the news really isn't (this is about his past, so...well, it's the Chron, gotta love 'em).

imo

The murder trial of Nima Momeni, the sole suspect in Bob Lee's April 4 killing in San Francisco, is uncovering a violent past, including another stabbing incident from 2005.

By SFist - Published on June 11, 2023

In a tale of twists and turns, the murder trial of Nima Momeni, accused of killing Bob Lee in San Francisco, has shed light on Momeni's past. A previously unseen case from 18 years ago reveals that Momeni was involved in a knife altercation with two teenagers – one aged 19 and the other 16. The case, under the jurisdiction of the Albany Police Department, listed Momeni as both suspect and victim. Charges were not filed, but it adds a new layer of complexity to Momeni's criminal history.

Continue reading on SFist →

As the Chronicle reports, back when he was 20 years old, Momeni was apparently involved in some kind of knife fight/altercation with two teenagers — one a 19-year-old the other a 16-year-old.

For some reason, this incident didn't surface in the early reporting on Momeni — perhaps because people weren't looking in the right place. The case was under the jurisdiction of the Albany Police Department, and Momeni was listed as both suspect and victim in the altercation, according to a police report.

Prosecutors in the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office declined to file charges in the case, and the Chronicle notes that portions of the report involving the DA's office were redacted. The potential charges that Momeni would have faced were assault with a deadly weapon, possession of drugs, and possession of drugs with the intent to sell — and Momeni was found to have over 14 grams of marijuana on him at the time.

NEW: Momeni now has a preliminary hearing on the charges set for July 31, under new legal counsel.

I’m in San Francisco with other media, waiting outside the courtroom for the latest county court hearing in Nima Momeni’s case on the charges alleging that he killed CashApp founder Bob Lee in a stabbing in April.

Last edited:
Nima Momeni, the man accused of fatally stabbing CashApp founder Bob Lee, appeared in a San Francisco courtroom Tuesday with a new defense team.

JUNE 13, 2023 / 10:01 AM

SAN FRANCISCO – Nima Momeni, the man accused of fatally stabbing CashApp founder Bob Lee, appeared in a San Francisco courtroom Tuesday with a new defense team.

During the hearing, the judge in the case rescheduled the preliminary hearing to July 31 at 9 a.m. Momeni's family was in court for the proceeding.

Bolded and enlarged font by @arielilane

Nima Momeni’s new defense team and family headed into court, including his sister who some say was central to the argument between Momeni and Bob Lee.

Nima Momeni’s new defense team (some in from Florida). I’ll have updates in the Bob Lee fatal stabbing case today.

Looks like NM's new representation includes a good sized team - guess he and his family at some point took the charges seriously, especially since he didn't get bond after his first court appearance. This must be fairly costly, so I wonder who is paying the costs, probably NM's brother-in-law as he seems to be the only one mentioned in connection with NM who likely has that kind of money. JMO.

Also, wonder if Bob Lee's family members were present today in court, I didn't see it mentioned.

And what about bail, was there a request for bail for NM by his attorneys? Or are they waiting until the preliminary hearing in July to make that request?

From the article:
"These lawyers are unfamiliar with a potential SF jury pool," defense attorney Ivan Golde told CBS News Bay Area. "The travel from Florida is excessive and will take time. Also, simply they are unfamiliar with the courts and how things are done in San Francisco. Being familiar with the courts is a powerful advantage."

Of all the jurisdictions in California, San Francisco has kept to its own course since around 1848 or earlier. Very tough nut to crack, procedurally and in terms of in-system quirks and biases.

I myself would have a hard time with a lawyer who uses 101% as a notion in his advertising.

JMO, entirely.

Article on the new legal team.

Apparently, the Florida attorney has associated himself with a California firm, while he awaits approval from the California Bar (and goes through its procedures). So he's basically on the team of the defense, but has not yet been substituted in as an attorney of record.

And here's the attorney's Instagram, where it interests me that he states he's 101% Persian (and the press has often corrected this to 100%).

Apparently, the Florida attorney has associated himself with a California firm, while he awaits approval from the California Bar (and goes through its procedures). So he's basically on the team of the defense, but has not yet been substituted in as an attorney of record.

And here's the attorney's Instagram, where it interests me that he states he's 101% Persian (and the press has often corrected this to 100%).

I wonder if the new attoneny's Persian background is significant to NM's family selecting him as their new attorney after their disappointment with the former attorney of record and, if so, will they introduce some cultural elements into the case, such as brother and sister protective/relations, etc.?
Or maybe they are just more comfortable with having an attorney that is from a similar background to work with, but of course also selecting an attorney who is both Persian by background AND has a reputation for success in defending criminal cases. Or is it more strategic and related to defense strategy.

I wonder if the Florida attorney will be approved as attorney of record by this week's court hearing for NM, or will he just be present but another attorney will be the one speaking/formally representing NM at the hearing.

I wonder if the new attoneny's Persian background is significant to NM's family selecting him as their new attorney after their disappointment with the former attorney of record and, if so, will they introduce some cultural elements into the case, such as brother and sister protective/relations, etc.?
Or maybe they are just more comfortable with having an attorney that is from a similar background to work with, but of course also selecting an attorney who is both Persian by background AND has a reputation for success in defending criminal cases. Or is it more strategic and related to defense strategy.

I think that's exactly the strategy. I think they will introduce cultural elements. Get it down from first to second degree or even voluntary manslaughter. Sure looks like second degree homicide could be made to fit (NM meant to use a knife and did so in a felonious manner, but did not intend to kill Bob Lee, etc, etc).

Or, if they can bring in culture (I want to call it a cultural psychosis - if it's true that a culture encourages/permits outrageous actions on behalf of protecting sisters, that's a dangerous and unhealthy thing to encourage, especially as it has resulted in murder). OTOH, over the years, I've followed or interviewed several people who were involved in honor killings here in California. The people who contacted me were wanting publicity for the fact that this happened (and the man who contacted me was worried that his sister would be killed by their father and uncles/cousins). She was living in hiding. The man had a stack of cases and news clippings - not all homicides, many assaults and attempted murders amongst them. His collection dated 1980-2010, and I bet he's still collecting them.

Thank you all for providing the upcoming hearing date!

Bob Lee murder suspect Nima Momeni 'will hear fresh evidence against him next week' over San Francisco stabbing of CashApp founder​

• Nima Momeni is accused of stabbing Bob Lee in the heart in SF in April
  • Prosecutors will show their evidence against him to a judge next Monday
  • They claim Momeni killed Lee after an argument about the tech millionaire's relationship to his married sister

Bob Lee murder suspect Nima Momeni 'will hear fresh evidence against him next week' over San Francisco stabbing of CashApp founder​

• Nima Momeni is accused of stabbing Bob Lee in the heart in SF in April
  • Prosecutors will show their evidence against him to a judge next Monday
  • They claim Momeni killed Lee after an argument about the tech millionaire's relationship to his married sister

From the article -

Khazar, 37, has so far refused to be interviewed by investigators after they charged her brother with the murder.

NM in court this morning at 9 a.m. Pacific time (12 noon Eastern time) with new legal team.

Last court date was June, and it took some time for this new hearing because the new attorney is not licensed to practice in California, so he had to go through the procedures to be able to represent NM.

Attorney Saam Zangeneh says they are building the case from scratch, what was presented before is in the past.

The man accused of fatally stabbing CashApp founder Bob Leeis due back in court for his long postponed preliminary hearing Monday morning.
https://t.co/8gRoIwZuqK

Confidence is key with his new team. Momeni's attorneys said his family is feeling better about the hearing.

Neither lawyer on the new legal team is licensed to practice in California, a procedural matter that further postponed the initial preliminary hearing.

The team used the time to build their case from scratch.

"Whatever happened in the past is in the past. We are fresh eyes, fresh perspectives," attorney Zanganeh said last month. "We're in the infancy portion of doing our due diligence."

Monday's hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin andreasen
Back