CA - Cash App Creator, Bob Lee, Stabbed to Death, San Francisco, Apr 2023 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Zangeneh is not licensed to practice law in California. Attorneys who are not licensed in the State of California but are licensed in another state can request to represent a defendant in a single case such as Momeni's.

Zangeneh's Instagram profile describes him as a criminal defense attorney with offices in Miami and San Juan, Puerto Rico. "Protecting clients in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. 100% Persian."

Right - I think there's something a judge can do for a one time exemption (for a case). They can request it, but they still have to go through filing with the State Bar as a "provisional" attorney. So far, no application on file per that list. I cannot find any cases where an attorney has been able to avoid at least filing the provisional application. I can't find any sources that say a judge can do this by themselves.

What I'm reading is that judges have some leeway in federal cases (if the attorney is licensed to practice federal law). I can't find anything about a judge being able to unilaterally allow out of state attorneys to practice in California. If anyone can remember a case where this happened, I'd be much obliged to hear about it. One exception is for federally licensed immigration lawyers, but neither Cohen nor Zangeneh

So, I expect the June hearing will now be pushed off. Maybe the provisionally licensed database hasn't been updated recently (entirely possible).

IMO.

This is from May 18 (the article where the then-defense said that the murder was unintentionlal). In rereading this, some things stood out to me, namely that Momeni fled the scene of the crime. It was not too late to offer aid, if this was an unintentional stabbing.

He knew he had stabbed Bob 3 times. What do you all think about "intent" formation in this case? Momeni intended to do *something with the knife" when he took the knife into his hand. Stabbing someone is already felony assault. Lee was stabbed *three* times and then left to die.

What do you all think?
jmo

This is from May 18 (the article where the then-defense said that the murder was unintentionlal). In rereading this, some things stood out to me, namely that Momeni fled the scene of the crime. It was not too late to offer aid, if this was an unintentional stabbing.

He knew he had stabbed Bob 3 times. What do you all think about "intent" formation in this case? Momeni intended to do *something with the knife" when he took the knife into his hand. Stabbing someone is already felony assault. Lee was stabbed *three* times and then left to die.

What do you all think?
jmo

A couple of things come to mind. The former attorney (Canny) said that the murder was unintentional.

1. Premeditation issue related to knife from sister's condo.
She would have to argue that the knife that is from the sister's condo was either taken by NM in order to protect himself if he feared Bob Lee for some reason (maybe say that BL was on drugs and acting erratically), or she would have to argue that BL took the knife from the sister's condo, and not NM.

2. NM was protecting himself (self-defense)
The former attorney seems to be arguing that they got into a fight and that is how BL was stabbed, in the comotion of the fight, so to speak. Attorney for NM might say that NM accidentally stabbed BL as they fought over the knife. Or that NM brought the knife in the first place to protect himself because he feared BL, and then they argued and BL became aggressive and NM just showed the knife to warn off BL and protect himself. The stabbing took place in order to protect himself when BL went for the knife. But the prosecution said that doesn't add up, because the knife wounds were very deep, it would have taken a lot of force for the stab wounds to be 3 inches deep (IIRC that is what the prosecutor said).

Were BL's fingerprints on the knife? And where on the knife? Did either of them have cuts on their hands if there was a fight over the knife? We don't know about NM, any cuts he may have had would could have healed before he was arrested.

And finally, as you said, why did NM drive away and leave Bob Lee to die? Why didn't he call for help when he was safely in his car and away from the crime scene?

It will be interesting to see how the new attorney deals with the former attorney's very public narrative/defense.

A couple of things come to mind. The former attorney (Canny) said that the murder was unintentional.

1. Premeditation issue related to knife from sister's condo.
She would have to argue that the knife that is from the sister's condo was either taken by NM in order to protect himself if he feared Bob Lee for some reason (maybe say that BL was on drugs and acting erratically), or she would have to argue that BL took the knife from the sister's condo, and not NM.

2. NM was protecting himself (self-defense)
The former attorney seems to be arguing that they got into a fight and that is how BL was stabbed, in the comotion of the fight, so to speak. Attorney for NM might say that NM accidentally stabbed BL as they fought over the knife. Or that NM brought the knife in the first place to protect himself because he feared BL, and then they argued and BL became aggressive and NM just showed the knife to warn off BL and protect himself. The stabbing took place in order to protect himself when BL went for the knife. But the prosecution said that doesn't add up, because the knife wounds were very deep, it would have taken a lot of force for the stab wounds to be 3 inches deep (IIRC that is what the prosecutor said).

Were BL's fingerprints on the knife? And where on the knife? Did either of them have cuts on their hands if there was a fight over the knife? We don't know about NM, any cuts he may have had would could have healed before he was arrested.

And finally, as you said, why did NM drive away and leave Bob Lee to die? Why didn't he call for help when he was safely in his car and away from the crime scene?

It will be interesting to see how the new attorney deals with the former attorney's very public narrative/defense.

I think they said in court that BL's DNA was on the blade; only Momeni's DNA on the handle.

But thank you for helping me understand where this defense was doing. Momeni could clearly claim that he wrested the knife away from Bob, but Bob kept coming at him, I guess. The most incriminating part is that even if it was entirely self-defense, Momeni drove away.

But I can see where the plea bargain might go - thank you so much.

I think they said in court that BL's DNA was on the blade; only Momeni's DNA on the handle.

But thank you for helping me understand where this defense was doing. Momeni could clearly claim that he wrested the knife away from Bob, but Bob kept coming at him, I guess. The most incriminating part is that even if it was entirely self-defense, Momeni drove away.

But I can see where the plea bargain might go - thank you so much.
I believe they have captured a video of the event (Nima stabbing Bob). I think a lot depends on the video in terms of where the defense is going to go. While Paula Canny was entertaining to listen to, her defense strategy of accidental self defense was quite bizarre as I think it was either an accident or self defense, but it cannot be both. Nima will probably be better off with the new attorney, but I have a feeling there is just too much evidence against him to make a real difference.

As far as Nima driving away from the scene, I think he was either scared and decided to run... or simply why would he try to help someone who tried to fight him.

I believe they have captured a video of the event (Nima stabbing Bob). I think a lot depends on the video in terms of where the defense is going to go. While Paula Canny was entertaining to listen to, her defense strategy of accidental self defense was quite bizarre as I think it was either an accident or self defense, but it cannot be both. Nima will probably be better off with the new attorney, but I have a feeling there is just too much evidence against him to make a real difference.

As far as Nima driving away from the scene, I think he was either scared and decided to run... or simply why would he try to help someone who tried to fight him.
I found it interesting that Canny revealed Bob had summoned a vehicle at some point. It might be illuminating to know when exactly Bob ordered the ride. Was it during the time he and NM were inside NM’s car together or after he exited NM’s vehicle? The court documents suggest the two were in NM’s vehicle for a while, then outside the vehicle for 5 minutes. Was Bob awaiting a ride during those 5 minutes, attempting to break from NM? And what destination did Bob enter when ordering the ride? Hotel? Back to KMs? Elsewhere? Would be interesting to know. JMO.

There are plenty of cultures in the Bay area where brothers are expected to be naturally protective of sisters- even if the brother is, well..."imperfect" himself.
I know that in some cultures yes, a brother, a father or an uncle must protect the virtue of a female family member.
I could be wrong, but I believe that once married, as the sister is here, that patriarchal mandate to protect the female’s honor transfers to the husband. I think.
Regardless, certainly murder is not the path to choose.
IMO

For those who may be wondering, the distance of a football field is roughly a city block. It’s 360 feet or approximately .11 km.

Bob walked the length of one apartment building, spanning half a block, crossed an intersection to a parked car (possibly rideshare vehicle) that then drove away, then doubled back across the intersection and back to the apartment building entrance, about 1/4 of the way back down the 400 block of Main St.
100 yards

People who have been mortally wounded quite often manage to stumble remarkable distances to get help. Paula Canny's argument is ludicrous--but IMO that's what happens when you're trying to defend the indefensible.
Right… Esmeralda Gonzalez (?) in Vegas, one of her killers purportedly told someone “it’s amazing how hard ppl will fight for their life”

On May 17, Lee’s brother, Timothy “Oliver” Lee, created a page asking the public for contributions to pay the family’s legal fees and care for the tech mogul’s two children.

“Unfortunately, due to Bob’s sudden passing, his assets will flow through the probate system in Florida, as well as in evidence,” Oliver claimed.
That’s horrible.

If I were the defense attorney, the story that I would spin would be that of a loving brother who was desperate to keep his sister from being introduced to hard drugs- then present Manslaughter as an alternative (if permitted by CA law). His desperation increased after BL ignored polite requests that he "cease and desist".

<modsnip>
Honestly that’s prob the story.

I know that in some cultures yes, a brother, a father or an uncle must protect the virtue of a female family member.
I could be wrong, but I believe that once married, as the sister is here, that patriarchal mandate to protect the female’s honor transfers to the husband. I think.
Regardless, certainly murder is not the path to choose.
IMO
I agree with most of the post but most of the time even though the husband is expected to “take over” if you will, brother and or dad will still always protect her.

Reactions: nao
That’s horrible.

I hope Bob Lee's family (father, children, and wife (if they never divorced) file a civil lawsuit against Nima Momeni whether he ends up in prison or not. If in prison, he is likely to be released at some point if his attorney is successful in lowering the charge to manslaughter.

But I am sure his family will do everything they can to protect NM's assets, if he has any. It may already have been done so that he longer has any assets - at least on paper.

Once we hear the evidence, it may be the case that Bob Lee's family members have a civil lawsuit against the sister as well. There are some deep pockets there, unless a prenuptial, but I somehow doubt it.

All JMO.

I hope Bob Lee's family (father, children, and wife (if they never divorced) file a civil lawsuit against Nima Momeni whether he ends up in prison or not. If in prison, he is likely to be released at some point if his attorney is successful in lowering the charge to manslaughter.

But I am sure his family will do everything they can to protect NM's assets, if he has any. It may already have been done so that he longer has any assets - at least on paper.

Once we hear the evidence, it may be the case that Bob Lee's family members have a civil lawsuit against the sister as well. There are some deep pockets there, unless a prenuptial, but I somehow doubt it.

All JMO.
agree. probate court is so messed up.

agree. probate court is so messed up.

And would be worse in this case, what with Bob Lee being a crime victim. Insurance companies will want some kind of investigation (I assume he was insured in some way) and of course, he had moved out of the state where his family was living, as I understand it.

imo (please correct me if it's not the case that Bob had just moved to FL and wife/kids were still in Cali)

San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that NM had previously stabbed two people:

It's behind a paywall. From the article:

In 2005, Momeni, then 20 years old, stabbed a 19-year-old man and 16-year-old boy during what Albany police called a possible “dispute over drugs,” according to a police report obtained by The Chronicle this week through a public records request. One witness told police the younger boy had first attacked Momeni. Both teenagers survived with what police described as minor wound...Police listed Momeni as both a suspect and victim in the report, which cited potential charges of assault with a deadly weapon, possession of drugs and possession of drugs with the intent to sell. Prosecutors declined to file charges, though it’s not clear whether the reason was a claim of self-defense. Portions of the report involving the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office were redacted.

Interesting, in any case.

imo

San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that NM had previously stabbed two people:

It's behind a paywall. From the article:

Interesting, in any case.

imo

since he was 20 shouldn't there be a criminal record and how did it take this long to dig that up

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pixel8
Back