CA - Chelsea King (17) Rancho Bernardo (north San Diego County) #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to call it a night ~ and send up some prayers for Chelsea's parents. I feel so sorry for them right now. :cry:

:rose: for Chelsea, RIP

I agree, Panthera,

10,000,000 miles beyond sorry for them.

This never should have happened.

If I were his parents..........blood on their hands too............hope they come forward with information to help confirm what they noticed when Amber went missing and anything else that may have happened like the Dec 28th attack.

Apparently, the message hasn't gotten through to girls/women that they CANNOT go jogging/hiking/walking in isolated areas. Do they think because they are physically fit, they can outrun or overpower an attacker? I don't get it!

From reports, this was not an isolated area, and the park was pretty well populated during the day. It was 2 in the afternoon, not early morning before the sun was up, not dusk. Yesterday I went to pick my daughter up from school at 2 o'clock and a male jogger crossed the street in front of me....and the thought that this guy never has to worry about freaks bothering him while he is out running, regardless of what time he is out there, just pi$$ed me off!!!:furious::furious::furious:

The message that hasn't gotten through is that sex predators can't be rehabbed so we ought to keep their sorry asses off the streets instead of paroling them after they've realized by killing their victim they may get away with their dirty little games.

One thing we should remember is that although these cases get incredible media attention, most women and teenagers that come to harm do so at the hands of someone they know far more often than from a stranger. Violence within teen relationships is reaching a staggering new high; just saw a show about that. All in all, it is a dangerous world we live in and we can never assume we are safe. Sad but true.

from what i understand, they basically had to do the plea in order to keep the little girl from having to take the stand and this probably happens a lot more than we know...another Catch-22 situation.
But there was no reason not to use the maximum available under the plea agreement and that is what is unforgivable in this instance. I do not think there should be a range; everyone who assaults or molests a minor should be given the maximum for that crime.

My daughter was 13 when a 30 year old brother of a friend of hers tried to molest her. We agreed to a plea to keep my daughter from having to testify. The PA would have went forward with the original charges if I wanted him to, but my daughter was not in any condition to testify in court. My main concern at the time was her mental health. That same summer, another friend was killed by her own father because he had gotten her pregnant and didn't want to anyone to find out.

Her friend and many of her classmates gave her a hard time about telling, I ended up sending her to a different school because she was getting harrassed so much.

I still wonder if I did the right thing.

Hi everyone. I thought I would share this link, since I haven't seen it posted yet:

http://www.10news.com/news/22723155/detail.html

(Sorry if its already been posted)

Apparently Amber's mother had watched/followed Gardner (and other sex offenders in the area) after Amber's disappearance. The Escondido police didn't look into Gardner as a suspect. Obviously, we don't know yet if Gardner had anything to do with Amber's disappearance but its interesting at least.

This isn't in that story but was on the news tonight: Apparently the police had threatened to arrest Amber's mother for this "stalking."
:woohoo: Then we could all go the police station and picket it till they let her go!

How many of us through the years have wept over the loss of these women?

Sarah Fox
Meredith Emerson
Linda Yalem
Majane Mazur
Joan Diver
so many more...

Rachel Cooke, still missing

and now Chelsea.

If I were his parents..........blood on their hands too............hope they come forward with information to help confirm what they noticed when Amber went missing and anything else that may have happened like the Dec 28th attack.
Anyone considered that his parents might have blown the whistle on him? Not saying they did, mind you, just that it is a possibility.

Longtime lurker yet posting newbie. I've lurked here since the Danielle van Dam case so I know how smart you Websleuthers are.
So I want to throw out my theory and see what you think. With apologies in advance for going a bit off topic, at least at first.

.................having gotten this off my chest. I too am local (hi, PQ neighbors!) and although I didn't really expect any other outcome, the "body found" news today punched me right in the gut and I am pretty emotional.

snipped and bolded by me

WELCOME IZZYBLANCHE!

Took you long enough to post! Lurking for years.
Glad you're here to voice your thoughts.

This has been eating at me all day. How did LE know Gardner was at Hernandez Hideaway on Sunday prior to them picking him up there? I saw today on the news that a piece of clothing and a knife were found very close to the restaurant. The thought ran through my mind that maybe Gardner turned himself in???

I thought I heard somewhere that the cops were sitting outside his mother's house Sunday afternoon while waiting for the arrest warrant. Maybe they followed him when he left, or maybe when they went in the mother told them where he was.

I keep thinking that maybe he went to the Hernandez side of the lake for some activity (maybe fishing) and purposely got mud on his pants on Sunday so that he'd have a legitimate excuse for mud to be on the shoes and other things he was wearing on Thursday when he committed the crime.

-Kim

My daughter was 13 when a 30 year old brother of a friend of hers tried to molest her. We agreed to a plea to keep my daughter from having to testify. The PA would have went forward with the original charges if I wanted him to, but my daughter was not in any condition to testify in court. My main concern at the time was her mental health. That same summer, another friend was killed by her own father because he had gotten her pregnant and didn't want to anyone to find out.

Her friend and many of her classmates gave her a hard time about telling, I ended up sending her to a different school because she was getting harrassed so much.

I still wonder if I did the right thing.

They discussed this on JVM today. The Judge Marilyn Milan said maybe it is time for witnesses to be required to testify, since far too often the result of a plea bargain is a JAG being released back into society.

Apparently, the message hasn't gotten through to girls/women that they CANNOT go jogging/hiking/walking in isolated areas. Do they think because they are physically fit, they can outrun or overpower an attacker? I don't get it!
Hate to say it, but women cannot sit in their own home (how many reports of rapist breaking into houses have we seen?), walk to their own car in their driveway, leave a store, walk down the block to their friends house, drive on the road (let's talk Cara Knott-pulled over and killed by a POLICEMAN). So exactly where are they supposed to hang out where it is safe?
This was just wrong place, wrong time.

1 Rape IDAHO AV Friday 04/03/2009 08:00 AM
2 Rape W GRAND AV Friday 04/17/2009 12:00 PM
3 Rape S CENTRE CITY PY / W FELICITA AV Saturday 04/18/2009 7:00 PM
4 Rape E EL NORTE PY Tuesday 05/05/2009 10:00 PM
5 Rape W GRAND AV Saturday 05/09/2009 10:00 PM
6 Rape W EL NORTE PY Wednesday 05/20/2009 2:00 PM
7 Rape COUNTRY CLUB LN Friday 05/22/2009 12:00 AM
8 Rape TANGLEWOOD LN Wednesday 06/10/2009 11:00 PM
9 Rape W EL NORTE PY Saturday 06/20/2009 1:21 PM
10 Rape W WASHINGTON AV Friday 06/26/2009 01:30 AM

1 Rape HEATHERWOOD CT Sunday 07/19/2009 4:00 PM
2 Rape ROCK SPRINGS RD Tuesday 07/28/2009 9:28 PM

1 Rape W GRAND AV Thursday 10/01/2009 12:00 PM
2 Rape TAFT ST Sunday 10/04/2009 10:00 PM
3 Rape N BROADWAY Friday 10/09/2009 06:10 AM
4 Rape W VALLEY PY Sunday 10/25/2009 7:30 PM

1 Rape W GRAND AV Monday 11/23/2009 8:00 PM
2 Rape W GRAND AV Sunday 11/29/2009 4:00 PM
3 Rape W EL NORTE PY Monday 01/18/2010 01:30 AM
4 Rape W WASHINGTON AV Monday 01/25/2010 10:30 AM

Website is ARJIS (Automatic Regoinal Justice Information Systems
Alot of different locations in the County. I just use her town. Did not put addresses here. To many sex crimes to enter.

http://mapping.arjis.org/address. I did not enter homicides either.

They discussed this on JVM today. The Judge Marilyn Milan said maybe it is time for witnesses to be required to testify, since far too often the result of a plea bargain is a JAG being released back into society.

Looking back at the situation now...I can honestly say I was in no mental condition myself at that time to make an educated decision in the matter. When someone threatens to hurt your child, you go into protective mode in ways I'd never experienced before. Now I also wonder what kind of message that plea deal gave my daughter? I will have to talk to her about it tomorrow.

it's true you can't feel safe anyplace when alone...i am alone at night as my husband works overnight and i harldy ever sleep until he is home (am disabled so not working). we have had a run of the ever-increasing home invasions here in city where i live, in all neighborhoods and the htought terrifies me (and keeps me on the boards here so late into the night...)we keep a car in the driveway all the time but anyone watching a day or more would know the drill.
when i can get out i tend to take walks around the neighborhood during the day (when my legs are working :) but now i wonder if even that is a good idea, since i sure can't get out of my own way. but i see teens walking around with headphones on all the time as we are near a high school...and they are often alone.
i think for younger people (i am in late 40's) that unless they know someone who has been a victim, they don't think much about danger...while us older folks always have it in the back of our minds as we are more likely to know a crime victim, or have been one...
just rambling tonight as today was so upsetting and as usual, i am alone!

Anyone considered that his parents might have blown the whistle on him? Not saying they did, mind you, just that it is a possibility.

Yes, I've thought about it a great deal. They must have noticed things especially if they happened to remember when the attack in the park on 12/28 happened, or maybe when Amber Dubois went missing, maybe they had fears that finally broke through their fog this time.

Longtime lurker yet posting newbie. I've lurked here since the Danielle van Dam case so I know how smart you Websleuthers are.

So I want to throw out my theory and see what you think. With apologies in advance for going a bit off topic, at least at first.

What do the above three mentioned by SWAG have in common?

They are all named for females, and yes, nothing has really changed.

My theory is that these types of crimes, and the handling/punishment of the perpetrators, are not taken seriously enough because by and large the victims are female. If the epidemic were hitting young boys as frequently, our (mostly male) politicians might be goaded a little more into action.

IzzyBlanche, I disagree. In the early 1990's, a big name feminist claimed that if there was a sex-specific disease that killed as many men as breast cancer killed women, it would be declared a national crisis. It turned out that postrate cancer kills more yet got only a fraction of the research funding as brest cancer. Nobody knew but the assumption was that since most of those "in power" were men, they would somehow "look out" for each other. It doesn't really work that way.

I do not dispute that more women/girls suffer sexual violence at the hands of men but men/boys are far more likely to suffer or die at the hands of other men/boys. The problem is that some men, not that many, are violent predators and other men are just as concerned (and just as afraid)as women.

I think you will agree that when a woman/girl goes missing, there is far more "interest" than when a man/boy goes missing. They call this the "missing White Girl Syndrome". Just compare the length of threads on this board. When high profile serial killers are arrested, the ones who targeted women (Bundy, the Green River killer etc) were generally subject of major manhunts but when those who target men/boys (Gacey, Randy Kraft etc) are arrested, nobody even knew a serial killer was operating. Their victims were thought to be runaways or just victims of random violence. I believe that if it had been a 17 year old boy missing in RB Park, this discussion would not be occuring.

The real mystery in this case was "why was Amber Dubois not given the attention of the Escondido PD that Chelsea got from San Diego PD?" I'm wondering if it had something to do with social class. Chelsea drove a BMW and lived in a very nice neighborhood while Amber came from far more modest circustances.

I lived in Poway for 10 years and I thought North County was about as "safe" an area as you are going to find (and a very nice place to live). I am sorry to see something like this happen there but all it really means is that it is just like everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ND84