CA - Child *advertiser censored* charges against John Mark Karr dismissed

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IF Karr skates away from this, what will his next performance be and WHERE?

My old suggestion for dealing with mindless wonders, is to anchor them on unused battle ships at sea, and drop shipments of food and meds on the deck of the ship. Include some fishing poles for them. Let them take care of themselves and do a lot of fishing for seafood. Yumm.

Teach them to fish, it would be good for their souls.

Did anyone see Jay Leno last night. In his monologue Mark Fowley became the brunt of a joke, and he held up a campain sign with John Karr's photo on it saying 'John Karr for Congress'! It really was funny, sad but funny :rolleyes:

Scandi

Heard on the car radio, all child *advertiser censored* charges against Karr have been dropped.
He will walk out a free man, he will not have to register as a sex offender.

I think they did the right thing in this particular case.
In fact, I think they never should have extradited him from Colorado.

Judge dismisses *advertiser censored* charges against Karr

A judge dismissed child *advertiser censored* charges Thursday against John Mark Karr after prosecutors said they didn't have enough evidence.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15146356

:cool:

Judge dismisses charges against John Mark Karr

San Jose Mercury News / Associated Press article

Judge dismisses charges against John Mark Karr
KIM CURTIS
Associated Press

SANTA ROSA, Calif. - A judge dismissed child *advertiser censored* charges Thursday against one-time JonBenet Ramsey murder suspect John Mark Karr after prosecutors said they didn't have enough evidence to take the case to trial.

Judge Rene Chouteau ordered Karr released immediately, bringing an end to his two-month odyssey in the U.S. criminal justice system after he was extradited from Thailand on suspicion of killing JonBenet.

The Sonoma case fell apart almost as quickly, as investigators admitted losing vital computer evidence that was seized from Karr in April 2001 when he was working as a substitute teacher in Sonoma and Napa counties.

Defense lawyers tried twice unsuccessfully to get the charges dismissed and were seeking to have evidence barred from trial when prosecutors gave up.

"The impression that we've had all along is that the prosecution had every intention of getting this case to trial, regardless of the evidence," said defense lawyer Robert Amparan. "I am pleasantly surprised by them having done the right thing."

i.b.nora said:
Heard on the car radio, all child *advertiser censored* charges against Karr have been dropped.
He will walk out a free man, he will not have to register as a sex offender.

I think they did the right thing in this particular case.
In fact, I think they never should have extradited him from Colorado.
It's true Nora!
It was the right thing to do. I'm not a "fan" of his at all, but I really was concerned he'd be convicted based on what has been in the news and not on the charges he was on trial for.
:)

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat article:

Karr case dismissed

"Prosecutors Thursday afternoon dropped five-year-old child *advertiser censored* charges against John Karr and he was ordered released immediately from Sonoma County Jail."

"In a surprise move on the eve of trial, Deputy District Attorney Joan Risse disclosed Wednesday in court that her office had concluded the case could not be proven beyond a reasonable douybt [sic].

At issue was a computer hard drive that held five digital images the prosecutors said portrayed childfren in sexual situations. The images had been deleted from the hard drive but still existed on “unallocated space” on the drive.

Risse acknowledged that experts had concluded it was impossible to tell if or when the images had ever been accessed, or by whom.

“There was no way to conslusively establish the time frame the child *advertiser censored* images were downloaded or accessed by the defendant,” Risse wroite in a formal request for dismissal of the charges.

She said that expert’s final decision had come just hours earlier.

Thre [sic] decision was not related to the disappearance of computer evidence in the case.

Karr, 41, was expected to be quickly released, perhaps within 90 minutes of the dismissal."

panthera said:
...but I really was concerned he'd be convicted based on what has been in the news and not on the charges he was on trial for.
B I N G O !

i.b.nora said:
B I N G O !
If you or anyone else knows the answer, I have a few questions now that he's being released: Wouldn't whatever LE agency who has his Thailand computer release the computer back to him? Where is he going to live, work, etc. now that he has become a "infamous person"? Will his passport be returned to him? Does he have any recourse to file a civil suit against Tracy, Hutchens, etc?
:confused:

Gee, I wonder if his family will take him in! BaHaa Haa Haa Hee Hee and a Ho Di Hi Ho - probably Nopey Nope! :D

Scandi

panthera said:
If you or anyone else knows the answer, I have a few questions now that he's being released: Wouldn't whatever LE agency who has his Thailand computer release the computer back to him? Where is he going to live, work, etc. now that he has become a "infamous person"? Will his passport be returned to him? Does he have any recourse to file a civil suit against Tracy, Hutchens, etc?
:confused:
All good questions, panthera. Unfortunately, I don't really have any answers. It is my hope that he returns to his family (father and brother) and seeks help for what are some obvious mental health issues.

As far as the Thailand computer goes, somebody had better give it back to him. If in fact anyone knows where it is located.

i.b.nora said:
All good questions, panthera. Unfortunately, I don't really have any answers. It is my hope that he returns to his family (father and brother) and seeks help for what are some obvious mental health issues.

As far as the Thailand computer goes, somebody had better give it back to him. If in fact anyone knows where it is located.
Thanks for trying! Maybe someone else (like Buzz :D ) will drop by and have the answers! Since Karr was brought back here in August, I'd think that LE would've had a chance to check that computer seized in Thailand, and if there were any charges that they would've filed them. Otherwise, there is no reason for them to retain any of his personal property. I certainly hope that his family does help him out with a place to live and the psychiatric care he needs.
:o

Although I haven't been on the board lately, I have been following the John Karr case. I wasn't too optimistic about John Karr being convicted in the Sonoma case.

John Karr has no job, no means of support, and probably doesn't have any friends in California - he wasn't there long enough to establish any friendships and he's been gone 5 years. In all likelihood, he'll return to Alabama or Georgia where he's got family and friends.

I think one thing we can be pretty sure of is that Karr won't get a job teaching children. He's too well known now, and excerpts of his phone calls where he described little girls and what he liked to do with them, have been heard on on the major news media.

Leila said:
Although I haven't been on the board lately, I have been following the John Karr case. I wasn't too optimistic about John Karr being convicted in the Sonoma case.

John Karr has no job, no means of support, and probably doesn't have any friends in California - he wasn't there long enough to establish any friendships and he's been gone 5 years. In all likelihood, he'll return to Alabama or Georgia where he's got family and friends.

I think one thing we can be pretty sure of is that Karr won't get a job teaching children. He's too well known now, and excerpts of his phone calls where he described little girls and what he liked to do with them, have been heard on on the major news media.
I also would think that he'd have to return to where his family is, but I was also wondering if his passport would be returned to him. More important, I'd like to know exactly what Wendy Hutchens role in all of this really was.
:mad:

Where IS the Thailand laptop? That's the $64,000 question.

Remember back during the extradition hearing (from CO to CA), Seth Temin (Karr's attorney) requested the laptop and a photo of JonBenet and Patsy be returned to Karr. The Boulder ADA said that they would not return the photo to him because THEY had sent him the photo in their attempt to 'locate' him in Thailand. Which I think was pretty crummy to not return the photo to him because....well, all things considered....it was just crummy.

Regarding the Thailand laptop, the Boulder ADA said that THEY (Boulder) were "going through that computer with a fine tooth comb". This was per Jean Cesarez (CTV) who attended the hearing. They never mentioned that the computer was being 'looked at' by federal officials. Which is why I was hoping I would find the article that was linked where the FBI said "they had no interest in John Mark Karr".

The last we heard about the Thailand computer was when Boulder said they had sent it to Sonoma and Sonoma said they had never received it. Later articles would say that "Sonoma and the FBI" were looking at the computer. Which I don't believe, but I digress.

Therein lies the rub. All Sonoma (provided they DID have the Thailand computer in evidence) had to do was wave it around the courtroom showing that JMK had indeed violated the SIGNED terms of his bail agreement by the mere possession of another computer. Never mind what was actually on the computer, if anything. JMK had already agreed that should he violate his bail agreement, he would automatically have a guilty plea to that and would have to serve about six months in jail. Six whole months during which time the FBI could have 'turned that computer every way but loose' to see if Karr had indeed violated any federal laws.

My personal feeling is that Boulder never gave the computer to Sonoma or the FBI. Why? Because we never saw the ENTIRE exchanges of emails between JMK and Michael Tracey. We will never know the level of Michael Tracey's involvement in this whole fiasco. And JMK, without that computer, will never be able to tell it.

The system worked, although I must admit I never thought it would in this case. JMK would have been convicted based on a sham. And I think that sham began and ended with Wendy Hutchens. Personally, I think that Wendy didn't want to lose to JMK any "relationship" that she had cultivated with Richard Alan Davis and when she felt that JMK was a threat to that "relationship", the sham began. And we NEVER did hear Wendy's portion of the tapes, did we? Tapes that SHOULD have been turned over to investigators, not played on Nancy Grace to inflame the public, or sold on Ebay.

Kudos to the Sonoma County prosecutor for (finally) doing the right thing.

WEllllllll IF LE is so fumble fingered about charging HIM, lets consider 'Making a false confession'. Then send him a SPECIAL reimbursement billing for services rendered.

1. Plane trips at our expense, for Karr and investigators.
2. Meals and drinks, for Karr and investigators.
3. Billoting, for Karr, and investigators in Thailand.
4. PD extra hours for investigators.
5. Cleaning and upkeep of cell.

Take away his passport, sorta like making sure that WE donut let one of OUR terrorists leave our country.

I have not heard one teeny word about our friend Michael Tracey. He is just another WHERE'S Waldo deal. He is probably not wearing his striped shirt like Waldo did. Wonder IF he wears a black mustache/glasses/phony nose deal to class these days?

Seems like more weird things/criminal acts, are being done by people, for whom WE donut have a law that covers IT.

One thing I am happy about, and that is that Karr is NOT a relative of MINE.

Just where and when did Karr turn the corner, that began the process to turn him into the person that he has become, OR did anyone notice when that might have happened?

Head scratchers unite, HOW do we know the people we see and relate to each day will not turn into a John 'Karr', OR that they are not already one?

The Bailey Colorado school had one, the Lancaster PA school had one, Columbine School had two of em. HOW many John Karrs are among us already?

Sorry, I went on a mind mystery story here.

>I also would think that he'd have to return to where his family is, but I was also wondering if his passport would be returned to him. <

Well he doesn't have to return to his family. I wouldn't think he was that interested in family connections. His father thought he was dead and he hasn't seemed to want to connect with them at all for years. He seems to have found a way to survive financially without them for years.

I wouldn't welcome him back into the family at all. I'd not want anything to do with him. I wouldn't want him near my children or grandchildren. If I was his father I'd tell him I loved him but he better go get help and that he cannot come back home. He brought shame upon his entire family and cost the taxpayers alot of money with his foolishness.

As for giving him his passport back. I don't know if they can legally hold it or not but if so, I wouldn't give it back to him. It's not right to export your perverts to some other country. Lord knows, we have it done to us plenty.

My guess is that given the lifestyle that Karr wants to live and the things he wants to do he will want to export himself as fast as he can to some third world country where he isn't easily recognized. I suspect he will change his appearance drastically very soon. Perhaps lead his life as a female teacher to gain trust.

The only blame for all of this fiasco I put on Karr and Karr alone. He shot off his mouth and created the circus. If he had led a decent life none of this would have happened. Instead he chose to fixate on little girls and get himself in trouble with *advertiser censored* then send cryptic and disgusting emails to someone and claimed he had inside knowledge of a murder. There is no one else to blame.

panthera said:
It's true Nora!
It was the right thing to do. I'm not a "fan" of his at all, but I really was concerned he'd be convicted based on what has been in the news and not on the charges he was on trial for.
Have to agree also. Even so hope someone gets him some kind of help. Let him live with his Dad and get on with life.But for heavens sake, I hope they get him mental health help. This should not just be swept under the carpet by loved ones.

You know I will get blasted here. But the Judge did the right thing.I think the pics were a set up by Hutchens.And yes I heard the phone calls.Karr needs help for sure.But I can not see a person convicted for only 5 pics.Now if it have been 100 yes. But 5 give me a break.

I'm very disappointed to learn that the prosecutor misrepresented the case against Karr. 5 photos should have been enough for a misdemeanor charge, but LE wasn't able to establish the chain of evidence to sustain evidence fit for trial.

It seems the prosecutor's zeal wasn't matched by the evidence in this case.

Karr needs to be closely monitored by someone, but doubtful that will be either practical or possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila
Back