Still Missing CA - Classic (Orson West, 3) & Cincere (Orrin West, 4) Calif. City, *parents charged* 21 Dec 2020 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to keep reminding myself of the facts so far:
The boys have not been found.
The boys have been Presumed dead. Not confirmed dead.
No crime scene.
Adoptive parents are charged not convicted of Murder.
The defense lawyers claim to have asked for the case to defend, it was not assigned to them. (see press conference)
The female defense lawyer's experience is impressive - her Spanish not so much.
There is now a Gag order and all we can do is speculate.
I could be wrong but if I am understanding this correctly the Trial will also be under a Gag order. We might never hear the witnesses or evidence?
I was listening to that, ie not watching, that Spanish was so embarrassingly awful. In California those lawyers couldn't pay a bilingual person for 5 minutes' work? Ominous sign for the defense, in all seriousness. First appearance, she made a fool of herself. Imo

Who was she trying to appeal to?

I have to keep reminding myself of the facts so far:
The boys have not been found.
The boys have been Presumed dead. Not confirmed dead.
No crime scene.
Adoptive parents are charged not convicted of Murder.
The defense lawyers claim to have asked for the case to defend, it was not assigned to them. (see press conference)
The female defense lawyer's experience is impressive - her Spanish not so much.
There is now a Gag order and all we can do is speculate.
I could be wrong but if I am understanding this correctly the Trial will also be under a Gag order. We might never hear the witnesses or evidence?
Is that to protect the minor siblings? I assume they will need to testify, will that be in open court?

I was listening to that, ie not watching, that Spanish was so embarrassingly awful. In California those lawyers couldn't pay a bilingual person for 5 minutes' work? Ominous sign for the defense, in all seriousness. First appearance, she made a fool of herself. Imo

Who was she trying to appeal to?

There were spanish speaking news stations in the room.

There were spanish speaking news stations in the room.
What would be the reason for her being so unprofessional?
Any CA "spanish speaking" news stations are well prepared to translate for their listeners, that's the point. They would not have been able to translate the gibberish from that lawyer.

Last edited:
You asked who she was trying to appeal to and my response was to the spanish speaking news people who were present in the room.
Then she is not a professional. Spanish speaking news crews would not have been able to use the "spanish" part of her display. She interspersed words in English and dropped off the Spanish half way through sentences.
Anyway she made a fool of herself, imo.

What would be the reason for her being so unprofessional?
Any CA "spanish speaking" news stations are well prepared to translate for their listeners, that's the point. They would not have been able to translate the gibberish from that lawyer.
It is so surprising because so very many people in Southern Cali are fluent in Spanish. You can throw a rock in any direction and hit a competent translator.

Last edited:
Hawaii is considering the following, I'd be curious as to your thought on this @Laughing?

A proposal before lawmakers is calling on social workers to continue home visitations of families and children even after adoptions are finalized.

Waimanalo Representative Lisa Marten introduced House Hill 2424. Part of it proposes a home visitation six months after adoption and a once-a-year home visit after that.
Proposed ‘Ariel’s Law’ looks to expand child welfare oversight | KHON2

In the Ariel Sellers case, the thread was renamed (ariel sellers-aka-isabella kalua). I wonder if the mods would consider doing that in this thread? Cincere and Classic were the boys birth names. I'm alerting on my post.

In the Ariel Sellers case, the thread was renamed (ariel sellers-aka-isabella kalua). I wonder if the mods would consider doing that in this thread? Cincere and Classic were the boys birth names. I'm alerting on my post.
<rsbm>

Took some finagling due to title field size. That's as good as I could get it.

Hawaii is considering the following, I'd be curious as to your thought on this @Laughing?

A proposal before lawmakers is calling on social workers to continue home visitations of families and children even after adoptions are finalized.

Waimanalo Representative Lisa Marten introduced House Hill 2424. Part of it proposes a home visitation six months after adoption and a once-a-year home visit after that.
Proposed ‘Ariel’s Law’ looks to expand child welfare oversight | KHON2

As an adoptive parent, I have some thoughts about this proposal.

First I want to say that I seriously doubt that there would ever be enough social workers available to visit EVERY adopted child once a year. That seems impossible.

Second, it seems unlikely, considering there are not enough resources available to deal with the many emergency cases we know about---much less trying to find a way to visit a family for no reason other than they adopted.

Third, I think there should ,at least, be a distinction made in this proposal, between children who have been in the foster system, and then adopted as opposed to an infant adopted in a private legal adoption, who was never in the foster care system. That might make more sense, if one wants to try and have the resources to make this work.

JMO
[In the case in Hawaii, and in this case in Calif City, the children were originally foster children, who were adopted and parents were paid to continue raising them. That is a significant difference than straight adoption.]

A study in the Netherlands found that adoptive parents are actually less likely to mistreat children than other kinds of parents. The researchers examined records from Dutch child protective services documenting all cases of certified child maltreatment each year. The researchers compared the rates of abuse for different family types to the prevalence of those family types in the general Dutch population. Results showed that while stepparent families were over-represented among the child-maltreatment cases, adoptive families were significantly under-represented.

The risk for maltreatment among adoptive families was eight times lower than would be expected based on the frequency of adoptive families in the general population. Notably, adoptive parents typically must pass numerous background checks, including child-abuse clearances, before being approved to adopt. No other parents are vetted by such rigorous screening.

Are Adopted Children at Risk for Abuse?

Last edited:
It is so surprising because so very many people in Southern Cali are fluent in Spanish. You can throw a rock in any direction and hit a competent translator.
this is true. but let me share that my husband speaks fluent Spanish as both of his parents are from MX and his Spanish is not good enough to formally translate and when we go to MX the natives ALL know we are from the states. like how we learn proper English in school, same goes down there, and also local slang comes into play. He also slips into English while speaking. however he is not an attorney and does not need to translate formally or professionally. I have a friend also who does know very educated spanish and works for a california county and she had a hell of a time passing the translator exam for the premium pay. i think it took a few years and about 5 tries.

Then she is not a professional. Spanish speaking news crews would not have been able to use the "spanish" part of her display. She interspersed words in English and dropped off the Spanish half way through sentences.

In New Mexico, we call this Spanglish.

Thanks, @Sillybilly , for the updated thread title.

YES to visits for kids leaving State custody, whether they are adopted, returned to birth parents, or placed with relatives; completely agree that there are not enough child protective service workers for that.

Just a reminder, you can protect kids in foster care with just a few hours each month. (CASA works not just with kids -- but with legislation, change from the top -- which is the fit for you???) Start at this page & find the local branch of Court Appointed Special Advocates that covers your county, city, or ZIP code:

Home

IF the foster kids in this home had someone looking out for them...we might not know the names of these precious rambunctious boys.

jmho ymmvlrr

Were you able to catch a broadcast to see what they showed of the press release ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel