CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Really, really interesting information being talked about on the AMA.

Hi all, This is Shuhan, I got a message on the website. Please let me know if you have questions. Ill be responding. Per Jean Gadra (Derek's Mother): "LAPD missing persons have been receiving tips - thank you to everyone who is looking for him. If you think you see him, their instructions are for you to call 911 and report it as a Missing Persons Critical. They said not to worry about bothering any of the police - they would rather check it out immediately than try and follow up the next day."

Hi all, This is Shuhan, I got a message on the website. Please let me know if you have questions. Ill be responding. Per Jean Gadra (Derek's Mother): "LAPD missing persons have been receiving tips - thank you to everyone who is looking for him. If you think you see him, their instructions are for you to call 911 and report it as a Missing Persons Critical. They said not to worry about bothering any of the police - they would rather check it out immediately than try and follow up the next day."

Thank you!!!!!! Yes, I have questions. Let me now get myself together to ask them!

Thank you, Shuhan! The transparency with which Derek's case is being handled by you, his mother, and PI will go a long way in keeping the public interested and eager to help. The AMA holds a wealth of information. It does seem that this was meticulously planned. Changing computer passwords to allow you access, paying back the loan early and returning the key early (shows he hadn't just lost all care... he was still acting as a responsible friend)...

You noted that Derek almost did not feel challenged enough in his particular field, right? I don't sense that his disappearance was due to a fear of failure. He seems to have been excelling and still had time to date, travel, and make plans with friends. Furthermore, as you said he was open to discussing other career options for the future and had he quit the medical profession it would not have resulted in him becoming a 'failure'... he could have simply moved on to being successful at any number of other intelligent careers (i.e. computer engineering).

ETA: Oh Shuhan-- I know several of us were wondering whether the clothing the man on the bus station video footage was wearing looked familiar? Did the shirt look specifically like something Derek owned, or at least very similar to the type of shirt he would have owned?

You noted that Derek almost did not feel challenged enough in his particular field, right? I don't sense that his disappearance was due to a fear of failure. He seems to have been excelling and still had time to date, travel, and make plans with friends. Furthermore, as you said he was open to discussing other career options for the future and had he quit the medical profession it would not have resulted in him becoming a 'failure'... he could have simply moved on to being successful at any number of other intelligent careers (i.e. computer engineering).

This is something that I think is hard for people out side of medicine to understand. Derek and I bonded because we both had similar career goals. I wanted to do Neurosurgery, he wanted to do Orthopedic surgery. But, we both took time off to handle medical issues. He had bilateral foot surgery, I had bilateral knee surgery, as we were both pretty accomplished athletes.

This meant that grueling 16 hour days in the hospital were exceptionally difficult. In addition, Derek was an incredibly happy person. He loved surfing, etc, and free time, which surgeons don't get a lot of. Thus, we both were trying to navigate the difficulties of trying to NOT do our original career dreams

For someone outside of medicine, it may seem ridiculous to think that this would lead to problems. You'll be handsomely paid for in any other speciality. But people don't go to medicine for the money, they go to be the best they can be. Other fields sometimes don't give the same challenge, nor do they garner the same respect among your peers, especially when you're as accomplished as someone like Derek. He may not have been 100% challenged, and did actually think about other things besides medicine. We talked about this a lot. I found a new challenge by going into a different speciality + running a company that is doing well. He didn't have that other thing, and was still struggling to find it.

Shuhan,
Thank you so much for responding. I so feel for you...how blessed Derek is to have such a true friend. Please feel free to answer anything you like and to disregard anything you do not feel comfortable answering/that LE has asked you not to answer. We all understand.
1) In your opinion, did Derek -- in any way -- seem more exhuberant or different in demeanor in the past month? Did anything at all seem "off" or "over-the-top" the last time you spoke with him?
2) Do you feel (realizing this is completely subjective) that the last sighting of the young man at the bus stop/station could be Derek? If so, what struck you as that being a possibility? Do you recognize the T-shirt worn by the young man at the bus station as being one Derek wore/owned?
3) (Hate to ask this one): Do you know what the "loan" was for that Derek paid off before he disappeared?

I have more questions, but I think this is enough to start. I don't want to overwhelm you.

no problem. Thank you for your time and attention

1) no. We chatted for 4 hours in a heart to heart on Saturday. It was great, optimistic, and there was a lot of excitement about the future
2) might be. My subjective opinion is that he is not in Los Angeles. However, my decision making is more of a differential: SD vs Pacific coast trail vs. mexico vs. Los angeles, in that order. Not one has become much stronger than any other on the differential.

3. the loan was to pay for med school. the friend that lent it to him was a close friend and gave it to him, as he works as a google engineer and makes good money, whereas Derek did not as a poor/in debt med student.

This is something that I think is hard for people out side of medicine to understand. Derek and I bonded because we both had similar career goals. I wanted to do Neurosurgery, he wanted to do Orthopedic surgery. But, we both took time off to handle medical issues. He had bilateral foot surgery, I had bilateral knee surgery, as we were both pretty accomplished athletes.

This meant that grueling 16 hour days in the hospital were exceptionally difficult. In addition, Derek was an incredibly happy person. He loved surfing, etc, and free time, which surgeons don't get a lot of. Thus, we both were trying to navigate the difficulties of trying to NOT do our original career dreams

For someone outside of medicine, it may seem ridiculous to think that this would lead to problems. You'll be handsomely paid for in any other speciality. But people don't go to medicine for the money, they go to be the best they can be. Other fields sometimes don't give the same challenge, nor do they garner the same respect among your peers, especially when you're as accomplished as someone like Derek. He may not have been 100% challenged, and did actually think about other things besides medicine. We talked about this a lot. I found a new challenge by going into a different speciality + running a company that is doing well. He didn't have that other thing, and was still struggling to find it.

Okay, you are now stuck with us. You realize this, right? ;) But seriously, what you expressed spoke volumes to me. I have an "occupation" that is something that I feel is actually who I AM -- what I was BORN to be (sorry to sound corny)...so I get the underlying meaning behind what you are expressing. This is a loaded question but...do you feel Derek may have reached a point of feeling dissatisfied with what he was doing? Just a flat-out "There has to be more than this/this is not entirely what I was made to be" kind of thinking? Do you think there was an emptiness? Do you think it could have taken him to a place to want to just "be free" for awhile? Was he, possibly, in search of himself? Do you think he felt too confined by his obligations?

I haven't yet been able to read your answers to me, so please forgive me if you have answered some of this...

I have nothing to add other thank Derek is very lucky to have such amazing friends and family. You guys are such fantastic advocates and it shows how special of a guy he really is.

Derek, if you are reading here, please reach out to someone, anyone. Let people know you are OK.

Do you think there was an emptiness? Do you think it could have taken him to a place to want to just "be free" for awhile? Was he, possibly, in search of himself? Do you think he felt too confined by his obligations?

Yes I do, which is why I think he may be hiking the PCtrail or in mexico surfing.

What is strange to me about Derek's disappearance is that he seemed very close and open with friends-- Shuhan for example. Long talks about future aspirations, throwing around alternate ideas, etc. He had a lot of support. So why was his departure done secretively and left a mystery? It seems to be the one thing he wasn't open about?

Shuhan, no need to go into specifics. Are you aware of any other times where Derek kept either thoughts or events very secret to himself and purposely went out of his way to keep information from friends/family?

What is strange to me about Derek's disappearance is that he seemed very close and open with friends-- Shuhan for example. Long talks about future aspirations, throwing around alternate ideas, etc. He had a lot of support. So why was his departure done secretively and left a mystery? It seems to be the one thing he wasn't open about?

Shuhan, no need to go into specifics. Are you aware of any other times where Derek kept either thoughts or events very secret to himself and purposely went out of his way to keep information from friends/family?

Dixie--he was was a strong person. But let me put that in context. How do you get through an ironman? You tell yourself you DONT have pain. Its a psychological weapon, and he was very good at it. But at the same time, he was VERY well loved, and VERY happy in many ways. but he did have challenges like everyone else.

Shuhan, just want to say I'm praying for Derek, his family and friends and hope he returns to you soon. If he's out "finding himself" he'll be back, I'm sure.

Do you know if he has any other talents or means to make money to fund his excursion? We know he had $200 he took out, but that won't last forever. He may have hitchhiked down the Pacific Coast, but he still needs money for food and stuff.

Also, I'm waiting anxiously for your answer about the shirt in the bus video. You obviously believe it's him on cam, did you recognize the shirt as being one of his or something like it??

Thanks for your answers.

Re $200: Derek is smart, and can make $200 into something more (manual short term labor, etc).

Re shirt: I don't recall this shirt, no, but he did have $200 and is incredibly resourceful.

no problem. Thank you for your time and attention

1) no. We chatted for 4 hours in a heart to heart on Saturday. It was great, optimistic, and there was a lot of excitement about the future
2) might be. My subjective opinion is that he is not in Los Angeles. However, my decision making is more of a differential: SD vs Pacific coast trail vs. mexico vs. Los angeles, in that order. Not one has become much stronger than any other on the differential.

3. the loan was to pay for med school. the friend that lent it to him was a close friend and gave it to him, as he works as a google engineer and makes good money, whereas Derek did not as a poor/in debt med student.

Wow...do you realize what a treasure trove you are to us?

I know you are 1) so busy with with your own obligations and 2) dealing with all the emotions from your close friend missing...

But I just want to pause and say that I am so sorry about all the pain/stress this kind of hard personal situation brings... and I am so darn leery of people outside my close-knit group, but I swear you have people on this site who care. My analytical side was not being challenged enough in life -- so I added a dose of WS -- and that is why I am here! I want to make a difference, in whatever small way, and I am sure most everyone here feels exactly the same. We feel for you, and we just want Derek to come back.

Okay, enough with the fuzzies -- guys can only handle so much of that. ;)

Wow, you talked to him for four hours...and I will just go out HOG WILD here and say we all think you are very smart (because we'd have to be IDIOTS if we couldn't figure that out from the press conference)...I've had a very painful experience in having a dear friend "take off," and I will say my friend (truly like a big brother to me) "hid" from me as much as he could before he went missing...he later told me that is because he knew I would be able to tell something was wrong with him...so this seems different, from my limited knowledge. If Derek spoke with you that long, wow. That's not "hider" mode, for sure.

Okay, this is brutal territory now...wow, what hapened to the "warm fuzzies," huh?

You...as his friend...can you tell me what is most prominent in your mind of what could have happened with Derek? What does your gut tell you?

Shuhan, he is an avid outdoor camper and survivalist. Do you think he could live off the grid indefinitely? Was he on any medications he left behind or would have to get a refill of?

Would he jeopardize his entire medical career by taking off like this if something wasn't seriously wrong?? What kind of things would be so important to him that he would walk away from his schooling in the middle of it? When he returns, it will be hard for him to get back into the routine he walked away from, right???

He did not submit the ERAS (I hope I did that acronym right) for his residency, correct? Meaning if he did come back he will not have been accepted to a residency program? If so, it appears he did not plan on coming back and/or has decided to follow different career aspirations (either now, or after having some time for reflect off the grid for a while). Perhaps the long talk with Shuhan prior to leaving sparked some thoughts that prompted Derek to take action on any emptiness or dissatisfaction he may have been feeling.

Wow...do you realize what a treasure trove you are to us?

I know you are 1) so busy with with your own obligations and 2) dealing with all the emotions from your close friend missing...

But I just want to pause and say that I am so sorry about all the pain/stress this kind of hard personal situation brings... and I am so darn leery of people outside my close-knit group, but I swear you have people on this site who care. My analytical side was not being challenged enough in life -- so I added a dose of WS -- and that is why I am here! I want to make a difference, in whatever small way, and I am sure most everyone here feels exactly the same. We feel for you, and we just want Derek to come back.

Okay, enough with the fuzzies -- guys can only handle so much of that. ;)

Wow, you talked to him for four hours...and I will just go out HOG WILD here and say we all think you are very smart (because we'd have to be IDIOTS if we couldn't figure that out from the press conference)...I've had a very painful experience in having a dear friend "take off," and I will say my friend (truly like a big brother to me) "hid" from me as much as he could before he went missing...he later told me that is because he knew I would be able to tell something was wrong with him...so this seems different, from my limited knowledge. If Derek spoke with you that long, wow. That's not "hider" mode, for sure.

Okay, this is brutal territory now...wow, what hapened to the "warm fuzzies," huh?

You...as his friend...can you tell me what is most prominent in your mind of what could have happened with Derek? What does your gut tell you?

Thank you, we all love Derek and this has brought us closer together.

My gut tells me 3 scenarios
1) living with the homeless in LA
2) Living with the homeless in SD
3) Hiking the Pacific coast trail.

Not one answer, truly split between them

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads