CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to a clearer recording of the killers phone call to one of his victims. There is so much noise in the background that might identify where he was calling from. Does anyone know if the FBI has had the background sounds enhanced?

[video=youtube;KvcmgDRtcEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvcmgDRtcEk[/video]

There is a youtube video of what someone says is playing in the background - a TV movie called "Breaking Up."

[video=youtube;jk4TYL55d90]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4TYL55d90[/video]

On ProBoards, (I believe it was) Janelle's sister posted that On the Case W Paula Zahn will be airing a show on EAR/GSK June 11, 2017 @ 10PM Eastern/Western time, 9PM Central time on Investigation Discovery Channel.
Setting the DVR!

its great to see the media are finally getting on to this story i think its the only way it will get solved a part of me hopes he is still alive
so if he gets caught we can get the full story

If I remember correctly, a few amateur sleuths working the case analyzed the audio and found out what the tv show playing in the background was

Attachments

• gskflyer.jpg
    gskflyer.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 28

Attachments

• gskflyer.jpg
    gskflyer.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 198
I watched the recent 48 hours episode regarding EAR/ONS which I thought was done pretty well, but so much time was wasted discussing Ms. McNamara's involvement versus discussing more of the actual details surrounding this horrific case. (I'm not knocking her in any way but I actually thought at the beginning of the episode she was going to become one more of his victims due to her desire to bring the case back to life) What is striking about this case is men with this particular type of behavioral profile are completely unable to stop committing these types of sexual assaults/murders. Their appetite is insatiable. And what incredible luck and cunning on his part to have escaped detection all of these years even though they have his DNA on file! But everything was stacked against those poor detectives trying to solve these crimes. No home surveillance systems, CCTV, caller I.D., no internet, no reliable physical description. I happen to think this perpetrator was above average intelligence and came from an upper middle class family. His father was probably a strong disciplinarian and his mother was emotionally unavailable and considered weak by this individual. If you think about the amount of time this guy invested in prowling, peeping, surveillance, driving, phone calls, planning, obsessing on every detail, it would lead you to believe that he had no time for regular employment. This leads me to believe he lived off his parents and possibly worked in the family business and set his own hours. I think his parents had difficulty with him as an adolescent and were called to his schools multiple times to discuss his behavior. He may have attempted college but never completed his studies and possibly joined the Navy instead and set his heart on becoming a Navy seal but was rejected because of his explosive temper and inability to follow orders by people in authority positions This may have afforded him the opportunity to study stealth maneuvers as well as developing a talent for tying unusual knots. It's no secret that he despised the women in his life and he was no doubt an unsatisfactory lover who may have been ridiculed by his partners. As far as his behavior during the crimes themselves, I think most everything he said to his victims during his crime sprees were almost always an attempt to throw off the detectives during their attempts to develop a suspect even down to him shaving his legs and the bogus notes he left close to one of the crime scenes. It does intrigue me to know that the detectives have other information about the crime scenes they have withheld from the public. So, was he in prison during the 5 years he wasn't committing similar crimes? Did he suffer an injury that left him incapable of this type of crime? Murdered during a home invasion in a different state? Will we ever know?

Here is an interesting article about the diamond knot....It can also be used for key rings, knife lanyards and anything that needs some kind of a pull. In fact, sailors used this knot to hold a knife around their necks, which is why you may see this knot referred to as a knife lanyard knot.

It can also be used for key rings, knife lanyards and anything that needs some kind of a pull. In fact, sailors used this knot to hold a knife around their necks, which is why you may see this knot referred to as a knife lanyard knot.

(Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam here)

http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/knots/knot-of-the-week-lanyard-knot/

i listened to a clearer recording of the killers phone call to one of his victims. There is so much noise in the background that might identify where he was calling from. Does anyone know if the fbi has had the background sounds enhanced?

[video=youtube;kvcmgdrtcek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvcmgdrtcek[/video]
creepy!!!

I watched the recent 48 hours episode regarding EAR/ONS which I thought was done pretty well, but so much time was wasted discussing Ms. McNamara's involvement versus discussing more of the actual details surrounding this horrific case. (I'm not knocking her in any way but I actually thought at the beginning of the episode she was going to become one more of his victims due to her desire to bring the case back to life) What is striking about this case is men with this particular type of behavioral profile are completely unable to stop committing these types of sexual assaults/murders. Their appetite is insatiable. And what incredible luck and cunning on his part to have escaped detection all of these years even though they have his DNA on file! But everything was stacked against those poor detectives trying to solve these crimes. No home surveillance systems, CCTV, caller I.D., no internet, no reliable physical description. I happen to think this perpetrator was above average intelligence and came from an upper middle class family. His father was probably a strong disciplinarian and his mother was emotionally unavailable and considered weak by this individual. If you think about the amount of time this guy invested in prowling, peeping, surveillance, driving, phone calls, planning, obsessing on every detail, it would lead you to believe that he had no time for regular employment. This leads me to believe he lived off his parents and possibly worked in the family business and set his own hours. I think his parents had difficulty with him as an adolescent and were called to his schools multiple times to discuss his behavior. He may have attempted college but never completed his studies and possibly joined the Navy instead and set his heart on becoming a Navy seal but was rejected because of his explosive temper and inability to follow orders by people in authority positions This may have afforded him the opportunity to study stealth maneuvers as well as developing a talent for tying unusual knots. It's no secret that he despised the women in his life and he was no doubt an unsatisfactory lover who may have been ridiculed by his partners. As far as his behavior during the crimes themselves, I think most everything he said to his victims during his crime sprees were almost always an attempt to throw off the detectives during their attempts to develop a suspect even down to him shaving his legs and the bogus notes he left close to one of the crime scenes. It does intrigue me to know that the detectives have other information about the crime scenes they have withheld from the public. So, was he in prison during the 5 years he wasn't committing similar crimes? Did he suffer an injury that left him incapable of this type of crime? Murdered during a home invasion in a different state? Will we ever know?

Welcome to Ws Lt. Scully!
Totally agree with your post, particularly the parts bolded.
Wondering if the perp may have been living outside of the country during the time he was " silent "?
Although his attacks are different from Canadian, the former Col. Russell Williams,, EARS background/ family life, travel opportunities ect. might be very similar, imo, complete speculation.

I'm coming in cold so I apologize if this has already been addressed. This case is very complex but immediately the following caught my interest.

Assuming his approximate age in 1977, is there any way to figure out where he attended 6th grade in Sacramento based on the sketch of the school area, or is that a drawing of something different and not a school? He had a male teacher who he seems to feel terrorized him.
gskwriting4.jpg

Also, what are these words?
gskwriting5.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. I thought I read somewhere that one of the victims received a phone call in 1991? Did this person not have caller I.D. or turn over their phone records to the police? Also, the first homicide to be directly linked to DNA was in 1986. Is this why EARONS retired?

Thanks for the welcome. I thought I read somewhere that one of the victims received a phone call in 1991? Did this person not have caller I.D. or turn over their phone records to the police? Also, the first homicide to be directly linked to DNA was in 1986. Is this why EARONS retired?

http://archive.redding.com/news/kil...sta-county-ray-case-ep-3788602-356923351.html
[h=1]Killer linked to area: Investigator follows serial rapist's trail to Shasta County, Ray case[/h] Posted: Sept. 30, 2006

By Ryan Sabalow, Record Searchlight
In 2001, the San Francisco Chronicle quoted retired Sacramento County sheriff's detective Richard Shelby as saying the rapist called one of his victims in 1990 or 1991.

Shelby told reporters the victim heard children in the background and a woman speaking, possibly indicating the rapist had a family.
The media's interest in the case was piqued in 2001 after crime labs in the Bay Area and Orange County connected the East Area Rapist to the Southern California homicides through DNA evidence.

Erin Hallissy and Charlie Goodyear, Chronicle Staff Writers

[h=5]April 4, 2001[/h]

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/DNA-Links-70s-East-Area-Rapist-to-Serial-2935342.php

The rapist-killer's identity is still unknown, but police say it is clear that the same man, described in police records as methodical, sexually deviant and with above-average intelligence, committed all the crimes

Retired Sacramento County sheriff's detective Richard Shelby, who investigated the East Area Rapist cases, said yesterday he thought the suspect was still alive and might have a family.

"He called one of the victims," Shelby said. "It was 1990 or 1991. She talked to him for a minute. She could hear kids in the background and a woman."
Shelby believes the East Area Rapist first struck in 1974 with a burglary in which he violently beat a dog to death.

In most cases, he was armed and wore a mask -- a welder's mask in one case.
I think he liked to have a man present. He enjoyed the risk."

The behavioral profile that police had already assigned to the Orange County slayings suggested the killer chose victims in upper-middle-class to affluent communities, that he was a skilled burglar and that his previous sexual relationships involved bondage and sadism.

im willing to bet money he was in the navy at some point in one of the rapes a security badge was found he might have got into security
which could explain the fact he had plenty of spare time to prowl around jane carson sandler who was on 48 hours said she had strange encounter
with a man before the rape at a bar that people military people went to why cant they get a list of people that worked in the navy close by

We really don't know if EAR/ONS really retired. He could still be commiting crimes but is being careful to not leave DNA and changing his methods over the years.

Just found this thread so need to do a lot of catching up. I remember him very well having lived in a neighboring city of his last victim. I remember all too well the fear knowing this person was out there.

From what I do know, the map was thought to be a drawing of perhaps a subdivision or perhaps something of his own creation.

As I said, lots of reading/catching up to do on this.

I'm coming in cold so I apologize if this has already been addressed. This case is very complex but immediately the following caught my interest.

Assuming his approximate age in 1977, is there any way to figure out where he attended 6th grade in Sacramento based on the sketch of the school area, or is that a drawing of something different and not a school? He had a male teacher who he seems to feel terrorized him.
gskwriting4.jpg

gskwriting5.jpg

gskwriting4.jpg

gskwriting5.jpg

A lot of people have tried to figure out what school he may have went to and who his 6th grade teacher may have been. Problem is, there's no way to know where he went to 6th grade. Could have been in another part of CA or another state. Also important to point out, he may have started out as the Visalia Ransacker in 1973 to 1975. During that time, Visalia CA was hit by a huge run of break ins and burglaries. In one attack, a high school student named Beth Snelling was the target of an abduction attempt. Her father Claude was killed trying to stop the abduction in their home. Beth wasn't taken. After that, police staked out the nighborhood at night in areas they thought the Ransacker would strike, and sure enough, one night a police officer on stake out confronted a man trying to break in to a garage. The officer was holding the flashlight on the suspect when the suspect suddenly pulled out a gun shooting at the officer and hitting his flash light. The suspect got away. After that, the Visalia crimes stopped and soon after, the East area rapes started. The two towns are not close to each other. Many police think that the Ransacker & rapist are one and the same, as for me I am on the fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz