CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe now. But back in the 70's and 80's the canals were full of water skiers and speed boats. We belonged to a slalom skiing club and entered tournaments in places like Bethel Park and Rio Vista. It was great fun. Our whole family loved it and we met lots of other families to ski with and boat with and swim with.

There were not any drunk weirdos in the canals at the time. Maybe now there is?

Possibly tied to the theory that he used boats and water routes, I noticed a few days ago on the engagement announcement to BC, that he was already a member of a civilian, not military, Diving Institute by 1970. It's one I'm not familiar with.. but that doesn't mean much. :)

I'm catching up with facts best I can.
Was there ever screaming reported from neighbors? Dogs barking? Weird noises?

I'm catching up with facts best I can.
Was there ever screaming reported from neighbors? Dogs barking? Weird noises?
No to screaming as far as I know, except for a couple of rape victims maybe crying out for help while alone but still bound and unable to reach a phone.

There were reports from neighbors of victims of the early burglaries of thuds outside their houses, outside the neighbor's house that was broken into.
They have reported the sound of someone walking on roofs early on as well.
There were reports from the rape victims who survived of other sounds- metallic scraping sounds. He was thought to have scratched at window screens to try to determine if there was a dog in the house before entering through the same windows.

There were also reported sounds of him sobbing, and one victim reported that he was hyperventilating and talking to himself in her bathroom post- attack.

This makes me sick, actually physically ill to type and I am so sorry. Women who were bound and possibly unable to see due to positioning or blindfolding often reported that they could hear him masturbating with their lotions or body oils.
They could also hear him rifling through their dressers and chests, and other furniture in other rooms. Also, he was known to go into the kitchens for food and drinks, especially beer.
Most of the time, all this was prior to the physical assaults. He was exerting extreme control and emotional torture.

Dogs- only two incidents stand out to me. Apparently, he slit a large dog's abdomen and left it to die in a neighbor's yard. The owner found him and took him to the emergency vet's in time. Dog was a large breed dog, don't remember which breed, and was a pet, not an attack type dog. He lived and did recover. Not the same thing as a dog barking, but likely the dog did do something which infuriated EAR/ONS. Maybe a single leap or lunge from the dog as EAR/ONS was scaling one of the many fences he was known to breach.

The other incident involves a couple he murdered. I'm thinking it was the first known confirmed double murder of his Brian and Katie Maggiore. They were killed, shot, while walking their dog. I believe he killed their dog as well.
In the case of Lyman and Charlene Smith, he threw their miniature poodle into their pool. Poodle survived without injury and was adopted by a family member.
As far as I know, none of the dogs were barking. Barking is not a factor I've read a lot about.

I saw an episode of expedition unknown the other day and they were using this exact strategy. It's a long wire stick. They stick it into the ground every few inches and put flags anytime the stick hit a solid object, rather than goes deep.into the dirt. They can even get an outline of the object. The dig holes look exactly like that, they dug in areas of a hit. I saw those green metal cases and wondered if those were buried (although they didn't look dirty). The evidence amount sure suggests they are finding possible trophies! So scary.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hope that LE is doing searches to see if he owned other properties like a cabin in the woods. Did he rent out a storage unit. Was there a safety deposit box at a local bank. I too feel that he kept the trophies. But I am willing to bet he stashed them somewhere.

The "stacking of dishes" always bugged me... It's such a fiendish trick.

In the first thread I noticed a post mentioning Jon Barry Simonis. It's possible he (or others) might have used this trick. (But my bits of research on this - years ago - yielded nothing. Maybe I missed it?). I'm just trying to find actual clarification/verification on the stacked dishes MO by Simonis or any other perps. TIA for any credible info.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...den-State-Killer-Case&p=14079551#post14079551

" ...man named Jon Barry Simonis. He was a prolific serial rapist in Louisiana around the same time EAR was operating who used the same MO as far as prolonged surviellance, tying the man up, dishes on the mans back for an alarm, prioritizing his safety over completing the attack, etc..."

This is from Sacramento’s local ABC affiliate. I trust they checked with Folsom High School.

“Born in Bath, New York, he attended Folsom High School from 1961 to 1963, but did not graduate. He received his GED in 1964.”

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/sacramento/who-is-joseph-james-deangelo/103-546199302

Apparently he lived in Germany with his family in the 1950's. His father was stationed there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EARONS/com...any_in_the_mid_1950s/?st=jgkx3krj&sh=e4546f20

I think he mainly went into homes without dogs, he spent a lot of time doing recon, stalking victims, peeping & prowling.

I think the dog repellent could have also been used to spray his get away. I don't think he always sprayed it on himself. He could have sprayed it in the yards & around where he sat & peeped in windows for hours.
There's been no evidence dog repellant was ever used.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No to screaming as far as I know, except for a couple of rape victims maybe crying out for help while alone but still bound and unable to reach a phone.

There were reports from neighbors of victims of the early burglaries of thuds outside their houses, outside the neighbor's house that was broken into.
They have reported the sound of someone walking on roofs early on as well.
There were reports from the rape victims who survived of other sounds- metallic scraping sounds. He was thought to have scratched at window screens to try to determine if there was a dog in the house before entering through the same windows.

There were also reported sounds of him sobbing, and one victim reported that he was hyperventilating and talking to himself in her bathroom post- attack.

This makes me sick, actually physically ill to type and I am so sorry. Women who were bound and possibly unable to see due to positioning or blindfolding often reported that they could hear him masturbating with their lotions or body oils.
They could also hear him rifling through their dressers and chests, and other furniture in other rooms. Also, he was known to go into the kitchens for food and drinks, especially beer.
Most of the time, all this was prior to the physical assaults. He was exerting extreme control and emotional torture.

Dogs- only two incidents stand out to me. Apparently, he slit a large dog's abdomen and left it to die in a neighbor's yard. The owner found him and took him to the emergency vet's in time. Dog was a large breed dog, don't remember which breed, and was a pet, not an attack type dog. He lived and did recover. Not the same thing as a dog barking, but likely the dog did do something which infuriated EAR/ONS. Maybe a single leap or lunge from the dog as EAR/ONS was scaling one of the many fences he was known to breach.

The other incident involves a couple he murdered. I'm thinking it was the first known confirmed double murder of his Brian and Katie Maggiore. They were killed, shot, while walking their dog. I believe he killed their dog as well.
In the case of Lyman and Charlene Smith, he threw their miniature poodle into their pool. Poodle survived without injury and was adopted by a family member.
As far as I know, none of the dogs were barking. Barking is not a factor I've read a lot about.

The poodle named “Thumper” belonged to Katie and Brian Maggiore who were gunned down in Rancho Cordova.

No one saw him using a pump. ONE victim suggested that noise she heard could have been a pump. It's all speculation.

Thanks terpstra for pointing out the facst! There is an enormous amount of speculation and misinformation floating around these days, everyone is just a little too excited he has finally been caught! :)

The EAR may have used an external pump once - there was no implant!!

But it is actually more likely the pumping sound when he asked one of his victims to "guess what I'm doing?" was just a bottle of lotion. One of the features that occurred over and over in his attacks was that he would apply lotion to his penis after binding his victims and then forced them to manually stimulate him with their hands still bound behind their backs. Again, despite all the fake accents and false stories this guy told his victims there were so many things he just HAD to do at a crime scene, that linking his crimes was very easy.

The Visalia Ransacker would also use lotion found at the houses he ransacked, or bring his own.

Does anyone have the original forum link where the community was working this matter? In particular, one of the longest and most active threads on this case. It appears as if he enjoyed his little secret and may have visited the board.

When he shot Brian and Katie Maggiore they were walking their dog Thumper. He threw the dog (a mini poodle) into a pool. It survived, was rescued, and given to Katie's parents.

There are dogs in some of his other crimes and I don't know all the details other than sometimes he left them alone and other times he hurt (maybe killed?) them.

IIRC, he stabbed a big dog that caught him hiding in bushes. No one figured out how the dog got cut, until later on when the homeowner was attacked by ESR.

http://www.coldcase-earons.com/

1-6-78 - 8:25 p.m.

A volunteer for the Contact Counseling Service, picks up a call:

Caller: (male voice) "Can you help me?"

Volunteer: "What's the problem?"

Caller: "I have a problem. I need help because I don't want to do this anymore."

Volunteer: "Do what?"

Caller: "Well, I guess I can tell you guys. You're not tracing this call are you?" The voice became violent and angry.

Volunteer: "No, we are not tracing any calls."

Caller: "I am the East Side Rapist and I feel the urge coming on to do this again. I don't want to do it, but then I do. Is there anyone there that can help me? I don't want to hurt these women or their husbands anymore" The voice was pleading, but then became violent again. "Are you tracing this call?"

Volunteer: "We are not tracing this call. Do you want a counselor?"

Caller: "No. I have been to counseling all my life. I was in Stockton State Hospital. I shouldn't tell you that. I guess I can trust you guys." Normal voice, then angry again. "Are you tracing this call?"

Volunteer: "No, we are not tracing the call."

Caller: (very angry) "I believe you are tracing this call."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Until we see proof that JJD was ever a patient at Stockton State hospital we need to consider the possibility this was a crank call. At this point it's just speculation. It'll be interesting to see what developes.

:thinking:
What exactly is this speculation of? That old white guys have the same names and look sorta similar sometimes? :rolling:
Lol!
They each had the same cold and mean, hard yet blank, look in their eyes.imo.
After posting that, suddenly noticed the names plus a " junior " tossed in the mix, just an observation.

Wow, look how many are right along the American River.

When I look at the map (and thanks, I was looking for this yesterday) I see that the majority of the crimes occurred in the corridor between the I-80 interstate and highway 50, and then there's a cluster along I-680 in the East Bay Area, and then the odd ones - one in Davis, two in Stockton, two in Modesto, and a couple close to the I-5 and 99. When you expand the map, you can see that there are 6 close to Folsom Blvd. and 4 close to La Riviera Drive. Most of the others are near major streets as well. He definitely did his research and planned his escape routes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member