CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article210003114.html
After more than two decades of hunting the East Area Rapist, Paul Holes was sure he had his man a few weeks ago.

It was a white man with blonde hair. He was born in 1958, meaning he was in his late teens and 20s when the notorious crime spree took place. And he had an uncle who lived in the Cordova Meadows neighborhood of Rancho Cordova, giving him a possible geographical connection.
Both DeAngelo and the blonde man born in 1958 were on the same family tree as someone who loaded a DNA profile onto the open-source genealogy website GEDmatch. Police started to investigate them and three other white men of a certain age related to the GEDmatch user, who was at best a third cousin of the suspected East Area Rapist.

There is no evidence dog repellant was not used.

There is no evidence that ninja swords were not used either. How do you provide evidence of something that did't occur??

Right now we don't know. JJD might say at a later date: "yep, if I knew beforehand there was a large dog at a house I wanted to attack, I brought a can/bottle of dog repellent with me"

Or he might say "Dogs were constantly lifting a leg and peeing all over the tyres of my patrol car and it drove me nuts" OR "Every *advertiser censored* morning I'd walk outside to find dog crap all over my neatly-mowed lawn"

We don't know.

But the evidence we do have so far, says that JJD wanting dog repellent was not some major red flag as some people seem to be claiming it should have been.

In 125 Visalia Ransacker attacks, no evidence has been released to say dog repellent was ever used.
In the 49 commonly accepted EAR attacks, no evidence has been released to say dog repellent was ever used.
In the 10 ONS murders, no evidence has been released to say dog repellent was ever used.

Don't you think that out of the hundreds of well-trained officers who attended at least one VR/EAR/ONS crime scene that someone might have picked up the pungent stench of dog repellent?

Four key things stand out to me, in the facts as we know them currently:

1.) EAR attacked home which didn't have dogs in the vast majority of cases.
2.) In several of the rare cases where he decided to attack a residence that DID have a dog he simply picked up a small dog and locked it in a bathroom, or instructed someone in the house to lock the dog up.
3.) There have been long-sanding (admittedly unconfirmed) reports that he brought a large German Shepherd dog to 2 of the murder scenes. He can't be bringing dogs with him and repelling them at the same time.
4.) Bloodhounds were commonly used at this time. Why on earth would EAR want to use something with a very strong odor that would make it infinitely easier for the bloodhounds to track his scent?

All MOO.

Its a fact that he got caught shoplifting dog repellant, and its also a fact that he broke into houses with dogs present.
Agreed. It's been posted too many times to count. That does not change the fact that we have no information or proof that he used it in his attacks. Im not saying he didnt use it. Until we've seen proof its redundant.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They are big enough for waterskiing and motorboats. There are lots of boat ramps and tiny marinas, all the way from Stockton to Sacramento.

We boated from Tracy/Modesto to Sacramento dozens of times. There are restaurants built upon the riverbanks, with public docks---so you can pull up to them and go inside for lunch or dinner.

You can't boat in the creek behind my house. It's bone dry right now and there's no public access point where you could put a boat in even when there is water in it.

When I was a kid my friends and I would jump the fence and use the bottom of the dry creek to hike out into the country. The EAR would do the same at night to travel undetected though the neighborhoods.

I posted a fact. You have posted an opinion.

Fact.
Your post clearly states he could have used it to mark his get away, etc.
Nowhere does it state it was not used. Period.
Fact. Again. He was busted for shoplifting What:
A: Dog repellant.
Again how could he have avoided dogs? And silenced their barking when he was active.
All facts.

Don't you think that out of the hundreds of well-trained officers who attended at least one VR/EAR/ONS crime scene that someone might have picked up the pungent stench of dog repellent?

All MOO.

SBM

What exactly is the "dog repellent " that DeAngelo was caught stealing? Was it a spray? Mace? Pepper spray? Or something else. I'm not sure what was available in the 1970's.

Was it something that would remain behind for an extended period of time or would it dissipate rapidly?

Fact.
Again how could he have avoided dogs? And silenced their barking when he was active.
All facts.

How does dog repellent silence dogs? I honestly know nothing about it.

Let's say for argument's sake that he did NOT use dog repellent. How could that be proven?

I am not sure if this has been posted- my apologies if I missed it.

This is a map of EAR/ ONS planning of a home invasion and likely murder. He drew this map of a subdivision area, and on the opposite site wrote " Punishment".
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...t"_map.png/800px-EAR-ONS-"Punishment"_map.png
It appears to be a map of the area surrounding Lakeview Village a retirement community with a lake/pond in the center as depicted on the sketch. It’s located 1 mile NE of the intersection of I-80 and Greenback on the South side of I-80 in Citrus Heights and 4 miles SW of DeAngelo’s residence. http://lakeviewvillagemhp.com

Not everyone agrees that the use of the DNA at GEDMatch was legal.

Joel Winston, a Pennsylvania lawyer who specializes in data privacy law, said GEDmatch's terms could give a defense lawyer an opening to get the evidence against DeAngelo tossed out of court. If law enforcement officials didn't have the authority to upload crime-scene DNA information to GEDmatch, that could taint the computer match and all the subsequent evidence obtained as a result of the GEDmatch findings, under the so-called "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, he said.

"That's problematic," Winston said. "It's not their DNA."

But Jennifer Mnookin, an evidence expert and dean of UCLA's School of Law, said that even if law enforcement officials breached the website's policies by uploading crime-scene DNA material, they likely didn't violate DeAngelo's constitutional rights.

"I doubt it would get tossed out of court on that basis," she said.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209987599.html

I imagine that his lawyers will challenge this evidence at trial, as well as on appeal if the judge does not throw out the DNA evidence and all other evidence that led them to DeAngelo. Wow. I sure hope they do not prevail.

Fact.
All facts.
I never said that. Clearly you're confused.

There is no evidence that ninja swords were not used either. How do you provide evidence of something that did't occur??

Right now we don't know. JJD might say at a later date: "yep, if I knew beforehand there was a large dog at a house I wanted to attack, I brought a can/bottle of dog repellent with me"

Or he might say "Dogs were constantly lifting a leg and peeing all over the tyres of my patrol car and it drove me nuts" OR "Every *advertiser censored* morning I'd walk outside to find dog crap all over my neatly-mowed lawn"

We don't know.

But the evidence we do have so far, says that JJD wanting dog repellent was not some major red flag as some people seem to be claiming it should have been.

In 125 Visalia Ransacker attacks, no evidence has been released to say dog repellent was ever used.
In the 49 commonly accepted EAR attacks, no evidence has been released to say dog repellent was ever used.
In the 10 ONS murders, no evidence has been released to say dog repellent was ever used.

2.) In several of the rare cases where he decided to attack a residence that DID have a dog he simply picked up a small dog and locked it in a bathroom, or instructed someone in the house to lock the dog up.
3.) There have been long-sanding (admittedly unconfirmed) reports that he brought a large German Shepherd dog to 2 of the murder scenes. He can't be bringing dogs with him and repelling them at the same time.
4.) Bloodhounds were commonly used at this time. Why on earth would EAR want to use something with a very strong odor that would make it infinitely easier for the bloodhounds to track his scent?

All MOO.

Excellent recap.
However, it is my opinion that the attempted theft of the dog repellant along with a hammer is significant. We don't know for sure what his plan for either was since he was caught in the act. We don't know why he did anything.

Unless every single fact and evidence of the case is open to the public and LE held nothing close tot he vest, we simply don't know. If someone wants to explore this I say go for it. The lack of evidence thus far does not mean it won't come in to play now.

The more interesting comment is by "Salty Old Dog" right underneath.

I am unsure if we can discuss it but anyone catch, "I was there."
"Go through all the pictures I who was there and check off the list?" Freudian slip, "I (who) was there."

How does dog repellent silence dogs? I honestly know nothing about it.

Let's say for argument's sake that he did NOT use dog repellent. How could that be proven?
I don't get the denial of dog repellant being used.
Seriously.
Dog repellant is horrible for dogs, who have a very acute sense of smell. It can stop them in their tracks.
Say a prowler gets spotted, dog starts barking, then poof dog repellant. Dogs every sense is assaulted.
it's probablg like pepper spray used to ward off the likes of this *******.
The dog repellant might not be as easily detected by humans, but for dogs It's awful.

It appears to be a map of the area surrounding Lakeview Village a retirement community with a lake/pond in the center as depicted on the sketch. It’s located 1 mile NE of the intersection of I-80 and Greenback on the South side of I-80 in Citrus Heights and 4 miles SW of DeAngelo’s residence. http://lakeviewvillagemhp.com

The map was found in 1978 and this is what I found about the mobile home park:

"The asset is a 531-pad park developed in 1977. The five-star age-restricted community is spread across a 131-acre wooded site."
http://www.globest.com/sites/lisabr...-in-tertiary-markets/?slreturn=20180329140213

So I think the neighborhood must have existed before the punishment papers were discovered, and no doubt it has changed in 40 years.

Here they are together. I see a lot of similarities.

punishmentmap (1).jpg mapone.jpeg

Google map link: https://www.google.ca/maps/search/l...ights+california/@38.6883121,-121.3212393,16z

Okay. But he DID go into houses with dogs.
That's really ballsy in my opinion.
He factored dogs into his equasation (buying dog reppelient).

I will need to learn something here.

What kind of reppelent would keep my 120 pound German shepherd dog from protecting me?

I cannot think of any. Seriously.

I think this is a good discussion, because in order to defend oneself from evil, dogs have been a true barrier.
IMO

Maybe he fed them poison or sleeping pills? Or gave them food to make them ill. I haven't found any info on how he subdued the dog yet either. German Shepards rarely sit back while intruders enter.

We don't know.

All MOO.

Pretty sure dog repellant would throw off bloodhound scent, thus causing confusion for them.

A thought about him not graduating from Folsom HS--In my local "remember when" FB group, someone posted a picture of him from 1962 (looked pretty much the same as the Navy photo), then commented he wasn't in the '63 book. I clearly remember another thread where someone was asking for people who graduated during that time if they remembered JD. For some reason, the whole thread has been deleted, so something apparently got stirred up. It would be interesting to hear what people remember of him.

Does no one else wonder about the shoplifting issue? If he had gone to two different stores and played them off--"yeah, my wife is always complaining about that dog down the street getting into her roses", "my wife asked me to fix something and my hammer had just walked away"--no one would have thought twice about the purchases and wouldn't have remembered them as unusual to even report them. But getting both at the same time and stuffing them down his pants? Odd, for someone supposedly so smart.

Also, a previous commenter mentioned the Sacramento Bee as being well-respected and therefore factual. Well, it used to be. It's now mostly cut-and-paste and we're pretty sure they must be using unpaid interns to write the stories because they've been making huge mistakes the past few years. They do have some great journalists and at some point they'll probably do a full 2-page story about this and it will be well-researched. But please don't automatically assume if it's in the Bee it's accurate.

Agreed. It's been posted too many times to count. That does not change the fact that we have no information or proof that he used it in his attacks. Im not saying he didnt use it. Until we've seen proof its redundant.

As if GSK was anything but redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members