CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it's just me, but I'm more concerned about the Hammer than the Dog Repellant.

Did his mother and step father ever live in Garden Grove, CA? That's in the greater Los Angeles area. I can't find it now, but I swear I saw something online a couple of days ago that showed them living there and i think it may have been in the 1980's.

I'll keep looking for it!

yes, his mother is from Garden Grove.

Pretty sure dog repellant would throw off bloodhound scent, thus causing confusion for them.

By your logic a person could smuggle drugs through customs by simply spraying a little dog repellent on the kilo of coke in their luggage :)

Bloodhounds are trained to identify a certain smell / scent, and then follow it, regardless of whether it is a pleasant smell or an unpleasant one.

It seems we will agree to disagree on the significance or lack thereof of the dog repellent. :)

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm more concerned about the Hammer than the Dog Repellant.

My first thought was he would use it to break windows, or on patio doors (to damage them or make them easier for him to open later) as part of his pre-prowling routine. But that's just a guess. If I wasn't home and someone broke one of the windows in the spare bedroom, for instance, I probably wouldn't notice it right away. Same goes for a porch light.

eta: Until today that is. Going forward there will be nightly rounds.

No to screaming as far as I know, except for a couple of rape victims maybe crying out for help while alone but still bound and unable to reach a phone.

There were reports from neighbors of victims of the early burglaries of thuds outside their houses, outside the neighbor's house that was broken into.
They have reported the sound of someone walking on roofs early on as well.
There were reports from the rape victims who survived of other sounds- metallic scraping sounds. He was thought to have scratched at window screens to try to determine if there was a dog in the house before entering through the same windows.

There were also reported sounds of him sobbing, and one victim reported that he was hyperventilating and talking to himself in her bathroom post- attack.

This makes me sick, actually physically ill to type and I am so sorry. Women who were bound and possibly unable to see due to positioning or blindfolding often reported that they could hear him masturbating with their lotions or body oils.
They could also hear him rifling through their dressers and chests, and other furniture in other rooms. Also, he was known to go into the kitchens for food and drinks, especially beer.
Most of the time, all this was prior to the physical assaults. He was exerting extreme control and emotional torture.

Dogs- only two incidents stand out to me. Apparently, he slit a large dog's abdomen and left it to die in a neighbor's yard. The owner found him and took him to the emergency vet's in time. Dog was a large breed dog, don't remember which breed, and was a pet, not an attack type dog. He lived and did recover. Not the same thing as a dog barking, but likely the dog did do something which infuriated EAR/ONS. Maybe a single leap or lunge from the dog as EAR/ONS was scaling one of the many fences he was known to breach.

The other incident involves a couple he murdered. I'm thinking it was the first known confirmed double murder of his Brian and Katie Maggiore. They were killed, shot, while walking their dog. I believe he killed their dog as well.
In the case of Lyman and Charlene Smith, he threw their miniature poodle into their pool. Poodle survived without injury and was adopted by a family member.
As far as I know, none of the dogs were barking. Barking is not a factor I've read a lot about.

How does he stop a dog from barking? Especially small dogs yap at everyting. So odd. Maybe no one noticed anything out of the norm. Dogs bark all the time.

But this is exactly the point.

Just like he was never known to use dog repellent EAR was never known to use a hammer. It was almost always a handgun or a knife.

People use hammers to things besides murder! :)

When EAR became ONS and started his premeditated murders, in every single instance he used a murder weapon that was FROM the house he was attacking. A lamp, a log, a wrench, a sprinkler head... He never brought a hammer to bludgeon people with. :)

I don't get the denial of dog repellant being used.
Seriously.
Dog repellant is horrible for dogs, who have a very acute sense of smell. It can stop them in their tracks.
Say a prowler gets spotted, dog starts barking, then poof dog repellant. Dogs every sense is assaulted.
it's probablg like pepper spray used to ward off the likes of this *******.
The dog repellant might not be as easily detected by humans, but for dogs It's awful.

Because there is no proof it was used. No one specifically identified it. Maybe it was used but JJD was a smart guy so I think its more likely that the plan was out of the question once he was arrested with it.

There is no evidence dog repellant was not used. It makes perfect sense that he did use dog repellant. Per reports of his uncanny ability to victimize people who had dogs. And reports of dogs barking then suddenly stopping. Even though he was right smack there under their noses.
We know now he got caught shoplifting dog repellant.

I'd like to know how he got the dogs to stop barking. Spraying repellent? I doubt that would stop the barking unless he killed them immediately.

"Once the bloodhound identifies the trail, it will not divert its attention despite being assailed by a multitude of other odors. Only when the dog finds the source of the scent or reaches the end of the trail will it relent. So potent is the drive to track, bloodhounds have been known to stick to a trail for more than 130 miles."

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/underdogs-the-bloodhounds-amazing-sense-of-smell/350/
Pretty sure dog repellant would throw off bloodhound scent, thus causing confusion for them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

But this is exactly the point.

Just like he was never known to use dog repellent EAR was never known to use a hammer. It was almost always a handgun or a knife.

People use hammers to things besides murder! :)

When EAR became ONS and started his premeditated murders, in every single instance he used a murder weapon that was FROM the house he was attacking. A lamp, a log, a wrench, a sprinkler head... He never brought a hammer to bludgeon people with. :)

I dont want to encourage this line of discussion but it clearly says in the profile created about him that the weapons used were not left behind. He could have used a hammer, it is a blunt object as much as a log is.

Does no one else wonder about the shoplifting issue? If he had gone to two different stores and played them off--"yeah, my wife is always complaining about that dog down the street getting into her roses", "my wife asked me to fix something and my hammer had just walked away"--no one would have thought twice about the purchases and wouldn't have remembered them as unusual to even report them. But getting both at the same time and stuffing them down his pants? Odd, for someone supposedly so smart.

rsbm.

Definitely!!

I think it was like a compulsion for him, following the rules, follow the law was just not fulfilling for him.

In the same way I don't think he could stop himself from ransacking houses even when he became the EAR, I think he would have sought any opportunity to break the law in his day to day life.

This was a man who hated society, hated success in others, and felt entitled to just take anything he wanted - whether it was a hammer in a hardware store or a happily married mother walking down the street who was unfortunate enough to be spotted by JJD.

I don't get the denial of dog repellant being used.
Seriously.
Dog repellant is horrible for dogs, who have a very acute sense of smell. It can stop them in their tracks.
Say a prowler gets spotted, dog starts barking, then poof dog repellant. Dogs every sense is assaulted.
it's probablg like pepper spray used to ward off the likes of this *******.
The dog repellant might not be as easily detected by humans, but for dogs It's awful.

Pepper spray dissipates in a few hours. Not sure after he spent 2-4 hours in the victim's house that would be the smell LE would notice over blood and other smells. If trained dogs couldn't track him it's because of the dog repellent. Anyone tempted to experiment with it?
I accidently pressed pepper spray in my small apt smell was gone in half an hour.

The map was found in 1978 and this is what I found about the mobile home park:

"The asset is a 531-pad park developed in 1977. The five-star age-restricted community is spread across a 131-acre wooded site."
http://www.globest.com/sites/lisabr...-in-tertiary-markets/?slreturn=20180329140213

So I think the neighborhood must have existed before the punishment papers were discovered, and no doubt it has changed in 40 years.

Here they are together. I see a lot of similarities.

View attachment 133594 View attachment 133595

Google map link: https://www.google.ca/maps/search/l...ights+california/@38.6883121,-121.3212393,16z
The lake on the sketch is named but I can’t determine what it says but it looks like it contains fours letters. Because Lakeview Village is gated there is no Google Street View and I can’t find a name for the pond however, there are two streets nearby one named Lake Cove Ln and the other Oak Lakes Ln.

A thought about him not graduating from Folsom HS--In my local "remember when" FB group, someone posted a picture of him from 1962 (looked pretty much the same as the Navy photo), then commented he wasn't in the '63 book. I clearly remember another thread where someone was asking for people who graduated during that time if they remembered JD. For some reason, the whole thread has been deleted, so something apparently got stirred up. It would be interesting to hear what people remember of him.

Does no one else wonder about the shoplifting issue? If he had gone to two different stores and played them off--"yeah, my wife is always complaining about that dog down the street getting into her roses", "my wife asked me to fix something and my hammer had just walked away"--no one would have thought twice about the purchases and wouldn't have remembered them as unusual to even report them. But getting both at the same time and stuffing them down his pants? Odd, for someone supposedly so smart.

Also, a previous commenter mentioned the Sacramento Bee as being well-respected and therefore factual. Well, it used to be. It's now mostly cut-and-paste and we're pretty sure they must be using unpaid interns to write the stories because they've been making huge mistakes the past few years. They do have some great journalists and at some point they'll probably do a full 2-page story about this and it will be well-researched. But please don't automatically assume if it's in the Bee it's accurate.

Even intelligent people screw up. This was a huge screw up. (thank god)

Pepper spray dissipates in a few hours. Not sure after he spent 2-4 hours in the victim's house that would be the smell LE would notice over blood and other smells. If trained dogs couldn't track him it's because of the dog repellent. Anyone tempted to experiment with it?
I accidently pressed pepper spray in my small apt smell was gone in half an hour.

If pepper spray was used, it would leave a residue. There are actual companies that are paid to clean it up.

https://www.crimeclean-up.com/blog/professionals-handle-tear-gas-oc-spray-clean/

I dont want to encourage this line of discussion but it clearly says in the profile created about him that the weapons used were not left behind. He could have used a hammer, it is a blunt object as much as a log is.

Forensic investigators don't look at a bludgeoned body and say "someone hit him purty hard wif sumfin. Well, now let's bury the body" :)

In every instance the murder weapon is known. I have listed them in the post you quoted. A lamp, a log, a wrench, a sprinkler head... He took them from the scene because he was a policeman so that his fingerprints, blood or skin cells couldn't be found on them. That didn't prevent the investigators from knowing exactly what weapon was used.

Forensic investigators don't look at a bludgeoned body and say "someone hit him purty hard wif sumfin. Well, now let's bury the body" :)

In every instance the murder weapon is known. I have listed them in the post you quoted. A lamp, a log, a wrench, a sprinkler head... He took them from the scene because he was a policeman so that his fingerprints, blood or skin cells couldn't be found on them. That didn't prevent the investigators from knowing exactly what weapon was used.

They must not have been as advanced as they are now because a weapon was not identified in a lot of the cases. They assumed it was a wrench, or a sprinkler face etc because those were missing but I saw nothing that says there was evidence of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SPACECAT89