CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh wow! Any clue what that movie was? holy crap. That's good sleuthing.

[h=1]EAR/ONS -- Background dialogue for "Gonna Kill You" phone call[/h]
Gian Julian Quasar

Published on Mar 18, 2016 Relevant clip from the TV movie "Breaking Up" which aired on January 2, 1978. The dialogue presented here is around the 28 minute mark into the teleplay. Beginning at "Are you quoting a book?" the dialogue makes for the primary background voices in "EAR/ONS" called to a victim on January 2, 1978 -- the "Gonna Kill You" call. Knowing when this movie aired we also know the exact time that EAR (or the caller) called.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4TYL55d90

MAP of locations. Golden State Killer / East Area Rapist home and crime locations. Most of his known and reported crimes were committed within a 4 - 11 mile southwest radius of his Citrus Heights, CA home.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=38.09427300905835,-121.17953585136712&z=9

Joseph J. DeAngelo purchased and moved into his current home in Citrus Hills, CA on December 2, 1993, after his known raping and killing spree had ended.

I believe the voices that were heard in the background during that one phone call were attributed to dialogue from a movie that was on television at the time the call was placed.

Do you have a link showing how that was determined?

Do you have a link showing how that was determined?

It's covered in the HLN "Unmasking a Killer" series (maybe episode 4?), as well as on reddit. Two sleuths and a sound expert, IIRC.

Good reoprt on the gsk on ABC last night,it was covered very well by the female reporter,she is easy on the eyes to guys so it's definitely worth a look.ill link it later.

Oh, that reminds me..
20/20 tonight is covering this story

MOO

MAP of locations. Golden State Killer / East Area Rapist home and crime locations. Most of his known and reported crimes were committed within a 4 - 11 mile southwest radius of his Citrus Heights, CA home.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=38.09427300905835,-121.17953585136712&z=9
He didn't move to his Citrus Heights home until 1983 so it seems only 1 crime was committed while he lived there. - the last known one ( Cruz murder ) in 1986 in Irvine was > 200 miles away. In addition 100 burglaries and 1 murder took place 1974-75 in Visalia > 400 miles south, well before the move to Citrus Heights. He moved there a few years after he was fired from Auburn pd.

The call was made in 1991 not 1978 when the movie aired so that cannot account for the voices in the background IMO.

Now I'm even more confused. I thought the "I'll kill you" call was in 1977.

Oh, that reminds me..
20/20 tonight is covering this story

MOO
Thanks for the reminder.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/04/tv-tonight-fri-5/
“20/20” (10 p.m., ABC): Last week Joseph DeAngelo, the suspected Golden State Killer, was arrested and charged with eight counts of first-degree murder decades after his alleged reign of terror. Tonight, correspondent Whit Johnson explores DeAngelo’s background, questions how the Golden State Killer was able to elude authorities for so long and reports on how the suspect was finally tracked down. The hour also features interviews with Golden State Killer attack survivors Jane Carson-Sandler and Margaret Wardlow, and with investigator Paul Holes, who claims to have uploaded DNA information to the genetic genealogy website GEDmatch that cracked the case. It had been obtained from a duplicate rape kit collected at the Charlene Smith crime scene and kept in a freezer for 38 years. Additional interviews include Jennifer Carole, whose father Lyman Smith and stepmother Charlene were murder victims of the Golden State Killer; Michael Bowker, a magazine writer who was briefly a suspect before being cleared by authorities; William and Joan Oakley, neighbors

It was January 2, 1978. Here’s the list of calls and when they occurred.

“January 2nd, 1978
Victim #1 had been receiving odd phone calls since around Christmas. The police gave her a tape recorder in hopes that she'd be able to catch the elusive caller's voice. On the evening of January 2nd, the phone rang several times. One of them was a wrong number asking "Is Ray there?" Some investigators think that the caller was probably the rapist.

Later on in the evening, the phone rang at Victim #1's house once more. A voice that she recognized as the East Area Rapist was on the other end.

Caller: "Gonna kill you... Gonna killll you... Gonna killlll you *****... *****... *****... ****in' *advertiser censored*..."

There was an extended period of deep, harsh breathing before the threats began.”

http://www.coldcase-earons.com/phonecalls.php

The specific addresses of victims is not available to the public, nor displayed on this map, but utilized and imported into a KML file and imported into a google maps program. However, general locations can be found on the website: Cold Case EARONS - it also contains extensive information, list of incidents & details of attacks.

[FONT=&quot]The Books "Case Files of the East Area Rapist / Golden State Killer" by Kat Winters and Keith Komos and "Ill be Gone in the Dark" by Michelle McNamara also contain location information.[/FONT]

Joseph DeAngelo's address is available on the Sacramento County tax information website.

"I believe what ended up happening were two things: In 1981, he ends up going into kill Gregory Sanchez and Cheri Domingo. And he gets in a physical fight with 6-foot-3 Gregory Sanchez. And I think that physical altercation with Sanchez scared him. We don't have an attack for five years," Holes said in the interview.
I always thought it was related to capacity/function and this makes perfect since. This jives with the former coworker at SaveMart that said he was always worried about getting in trouble. Ever cautious yet he had this compulsion.

I wasn't Mormon, but Baptist. Tuesday nights were called "witnessing" nights, and we would go door to door to "witness to our fellow man." We never called in advance.

I HATED going on these visits, but I was a young adolescent, and didn't have a lot of choice.

I'm not convinced that the "Mormons" were casing the joint of one victim, when his previous methods of casing potential victims had served him perfectly well. Why would he bring attention to himself in this manner, setting himself up to be seen/remembered?

For that matter, why would he have a "getaway driver" honking in front of the house? All that does is attract attention, to both the driver and whoever comes out of the house to get into the car. This would just be asking to be identified/caught.

bbm Exactly. This is a reach. This is adding stuff that doesn't really serve any purpose but to further the narrative that he had help. It's unlikely this would have gone unsolved as long as it did if he involved other people.

From the Wiki link mentioned

Later calls

In 1982, a previous victim who was working at *advertiser censored*Denny's*restaurant received a call at work from the rapist, during which he said he would rape her again. Contra Costa County District Attorney Paul Holes has stated that the rapist must have gone to the restaurant and recognized one of his victims working there.

In 1991, a previous victim received a phone call from the perpetrator and spoke with him for one minute. She stated that she could hear a woman and children in the background, leading to suspicion that he had started a family.

On April 6, 2001, one day after an article was published in the*Sacramento Bee that confirmed the Original Night Stalker and the East Area Rapist were the same person, a victim of the East Area Rapist received a call from him during which he asked, "Remember when we played?" before hanging up.

I think he made a lot of these calls. I was talking about one he made in 1991 - well after the crimes had stopped. (according to the Wiki link I posted in the media thread, excerpt above. )

I find these later calls disturbing. The rapist is reliving his crimes with these calls some of which have been made twenty years after the crimes.

Actually, if JJD were to use military facilities, he more likely would have used McClellan AFB rather than Mather, so I couldn't make that leap that they would have seen each other before.

Yeah it's actually much simpler- someone saw him prowling and he needed to eliminate them. Brian just happened to be military (airforce but not navy like jjd). Sometimes the simplest answer really is the most likely to be true.

??? you really think she's just doing this to dot the I's and cross the T's? At the minimum she's going to do her job to do everything she can to make sure he gets a fair trial, she could be disbarred for what you're suggesting

I'm not sure what you're confused about. She's making sure it's fair (due process) so he has no reason to appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1