CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo it should be 3 years from getting a DNA match. Especially if it takes more than 3 years for rape test kits to come back. Hope some changes come from this.

Why any statute of limitations at all? The Criminal Code in Canada provides no statute of limitations for anything other than a summary conviction offense. Therefore, for indictable crimes such as major theft, murder, kidnapping, rape, etc., a person can be charged at any time in the future.

https://legalbeagle.com/7164951-statute-limitations-canada.html

Why any statute of limitations at all? The Criminal Code in Canada provides no statute of limitations for anything other than a summary conviction offense. Therefore, for indictable crimes such as major theft, murder, kidnapping, rape, etc., a person can be charged at any time in the future.

I really don't know. As someone suggested, men wrote the laws? There would have to come a time when witnesses would be no longer around. 80 years?

Youtube Full interview. Golden State Killer investigator
Paul Holes.
This is the guy who came up with the idea to send DNA to GED. He is intetesting to listen to.
Not bad on the eyes either ladies.

Is no one else wondering if there were any unsolved burglaries/rapes from where he was stationed, took shore leave, etc.?

I would not be at all surprised.

I am wondering if he could also be the Zodiac killer too. There was one of the cases that reminded me of the MO of the EAR. ( bringing ties with him and getting the female to tie up the male )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer

Brian and Katie Maggiore were the first*couple murdered by the EAR and this is one of the double homicides with which JJD is being charged.
Brian was a military police sargeant in the USAF at nearby Mathers AF base. It is highly likely JJD knew BM therefore, IMO, as they were both LEO. As a vet, JJD would have used the facilities at the base as well I would imagine. This is possibly a motive if he was recognised by them in the process of prowling in the Maggiore's neighbourhood.
(See Wiki link above for the crime and USAF details)

:cow:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer

Brian and Katie Maggiore were the first*couple murdered by the EAR and this is one of the double homicides with which JJD is being charged.
Brian was a military police sargeant in the USAF at nearby Mathers AF base. It is highly likely JJD knew BM therefore, IMO, as they were both LEO. As a vet, JJD would have used the facilities at the base as well I would imagine. This is possibly a motive if he was recognised by them in the process of prowling in the Maggiore's neighbourhood.
(See Wiki link above for the crime and USAF details)

Actually, if JJD were to use military facilities, he more likely would have used McClellan AFB rather than Mather, so I couldn't make that leap that they would have seen each other before.

And, what will be found under the concrete slabs in his front yard:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-golden-state-killer-profile-20180427-story.html

She said DeAngelo was handy, setting his own concrete in the front yard, which she suspects now might be of interest to detectives looking for some of the mementos the killer is known to have stolen from victims.

"I think they're probably going to look under those slabs," she said.

Those 3 odd 'landscaping rocks, as well.

"DeAngelo was known for his swearing and his lawn.

"He'd get down on his hands and knees and trim around each rock by hand. And he mowed. He kept up that lawn meticulously."

because over time certain types of evidence and witnesses memories degrade. not all crimes have DNA evidence, or video to put a person at a certain place at a certain time, some rely solely on eye witness testimony... limitations keep people/law enforcement from falsely pointing the finger of blame at somebody years later for a crime they may have no defense for.

times have obviously changed and now with DNA evidence and or video they are able to lift the limitations on crimes where DNA may be used to justify charges (like rape or other violent crimes) but in absence of those types of evidence limitations provide a certain level of protection against false accusations and or tainted memories

Because with the passage of time the reliability of evidence is severely diminished. If after a certain number of years the evidence is not sufficient to identify a suspect and file a charge, then the statute of limitations protects the innocent by barring the government from bringing a stale charge.

Does DNA change the game by providing more reliable evidence in some rape and murder case? Maybe...but there is a huge caveat. DNA is also capable of falsely implicating somebody. I once worked on a rape case where the vaginal swab produced 4 separate DNA profiles. There was only one accused of rape. We were able to sort through that due to the fact that it was a fresh case. But what if was 10 years down the road? Victims aren't always truthful about the number and identity of consensual sex partners they've had. I have worked on several cases where DNA evidence was inconclusive or flat out misleading. Right now the public hold DNA on a pedestal as though it's infallible. It isn't always.

If you have a particularly informative link, please post it to the media thread for reference:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Killer-Media-Timeline-Photos-*NO-DISCUSSION*

Thanks! It's hard to keep up with all of the information.

From a link posted 2 days ago:

"Eventually, Mr. Holes learned of a never-touched DNA sample from a 37-year-old murder in Ventura County that was sitting in a freezer. The medical examiner in Ventura at the time, Claus P. Speth, made a habit of producing duplicate rape kits, one for the investigation and one stored for later, just in case.
“It turned out to be a gold mine,” Mr. Holes said of the sample. The investigators matched his genetic material against a sample in a federal database known as the Combined DNA Index System."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/us/golden-state-killer-case-joseph-deangelo.html

I just wanted to make sure that the medical examiner, Claus P. Speth, who preserved the duplicate rape kit that allowed investigators to extract a pristine DNA sample for comparison also gets kudos for his part in solving this case.

Actually, if JJD were to use military facilities, he more likely would have used McClellan AFB rather than Mather, so I couldn't make that leap that they would have seen each other before.
There is/was? a veteran's hospital at Mather . I will have to check out distance to McLellan.

Eta. Both are similar distances from Roseville and Auburn. However Rancho Cordova (where GSK struck half a dozen times with the Maggiore murders being the last time) is right there by Mathers AFB. He was very familiar with that area and he also went to school in the area. I will see if there were any crimes near McLellan.

Also, in that Wiki link there are details of the calls he made to his victims. One of those was in 1991 and the victim said she heard a woman and children in the background. That's prophetic knowing what we know now.

If you have a particularly informative link, please post it to the media thread for reference:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Killer-Media-Timeline-Photos-*NO-DISCUSSION*

Thanks! It's hard to keep up with all of the information.

From a link posted 2 days ago:

"Eventually, Mr. Holes learned of a never-touched DNA sample from a 37-year-old murder in Ventura County that was sitting in a freezer. The medical examiner in Ventura at the time, Claus P. Speth, made a habit of producing duplicate rape kits, one for the investigation and one stored for later, just in case.
“It turned out to be a gold mine,” Mr. Holes said of the sample. The investigators matched his genetic material against a sample in a federal database known as the Combined DNA Index System."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/us/golden-state-killer-case-joseph-deangelo.html

I just wanted to make sure that the medical examiner, Claus P. Speth, who preserved the duplicate rape kit that allowed investigators to extract a pristine DNA sample for comparison also gets kudos for his part in solving this case.

I second that. We will have the media thread at the beginning of each new thread then. I know it means posting twice but it will be worth it for the future.

Bravo to both Speth and Holes.

Because with the passage of time the reliability of evidence is severely diminished. If after a certain number of years the evidence is not sufficient to identify a suspect and file a charge, then the statute of limitations protects the innocent by barring the government from bringing a stale charge.

Does DNA change the game by providing more reliable evidence in some rape and murder case? Maybe...but there is a huge caveat. DNA is also capable of falsely implicating somebody. I once worked on a rape case where the vaginal swab produced 4 separate DNA profiles. There was only one accused of rape. We were able to sort through that due to the fact that it was a fresh case. But what if was 10 years down the road? Victims aren't always truthful about the number and identity of consensual sex partners they've had. I have worked on several cases where DNA evidence was inconclusive or flat out misleading. Right now the public hold DNA on a pedestal as though it's infallible. It isn't always.

A statute of limitations implies that there is no reliable evidence after a certain period of time, even if, in fact, there is reliable evidence to lead to a conviction. With no statute of limitations, then the evidence is examined for it's value and a decision to prosecute, or not, can be made. For serious crimes, such as rape, murder, etc., there is no need to put an expiry date on the evidence.

I too have Meniere's disease. I was diagnosed two and a half years ago after several ambulance rides and a hospital stay. And I'm 76 years old. I'm controlling it quite well at this point. Sodium is the biggest culprit.

It is clear from this post that you don't understand the purpose of a statute of limitations. I refer you to Wikipedia to further your education.

I have just posted a link in the media thread regarding the California Statute of limitations for anyone needing to refresh their knowledge

This post lands at random.

Please note that it is against Websleuths TOS to personalize posts. This includes a lot of "You ..." posts, and includes chastising other member, telling them what/how to post, or just being flat-out rude and disrespectful. Discuss the post content and NOT the poster.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member