CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that one of the CA counties involved in Golden State Killer investigation tosses all DNA rape kits after 7 years because of the 'statute of limitations'. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, it's insane.

Why toss unprocessed DNA kits? So many innocent people have been exonerated by processed DNA kits, submitted to a rape kit is hell for rape victims, even if perps can't be prosecuted it can show a pattern, where they lived and 'operated' ,and how or if their pattern of committing crimes may have escalated and for how long - decades of evidence of behavior is being tossed?

Is unprocessed DNA kits are truly being thrown out, a law needs to be passed ASAP to prohibit the practice of destroying this valuable evidence - regardless of the narrow thought process of only considering State of Limitations.

There’s been a lot of back and forth about the statute of limitations for sexual assault, and the dna evidence associated with sexual assault. This case has definitely made me more aware.

Just want to say...
If you feel strongly about eliminating these issues, please contact your state representatives. Venting here goes nowhere. Only the lawmakers can change the law. Make sure they know it’s important to you.

MOO

He attacks and murders totally innocent people and when someone rails on him, he thinks he is entitled to justice?

this is off topic but this is the first time i've ever seen "cocoa butted" used outside of wrestling.

American employers typically have a policy regarding sick days. Most of the places I've worked require a note from a doctor for absences of three consecutive days or more, and they can also request one in other circumstances like "excessive absences" or whatever. The note usually just says, "flourish was seen in my office on Monday May 1st" or "flourish is advised to be on bed rest for this many days," or "flourish is restricted to lifting no more then ten pounds due to a medical condition."

We pay for the appointment, not the note, and some doctors will do a note without an office visit, depending on history and situation. Like last winter I had a horrible infection which was very painful so at one point I emailed my doctor and he faxed something to my employer so I wasn't required to perform one certain duty due to pain and the possibility of a rupture kinda thing. HTH

Most **** jobs require a note regardless. And you will get fired for not having one, especially if you live in a right to work state.

It’s her job. It’s not absurd. It’s what defense attorneys do and without her doing her job, he then has grounds for years of appeals down the road. She knows it and the DA knows it.

bbm
everyone knows what he's done. due process has to be carried out so he can't get an appeal. i don't understand the personalization (not a word) of the defense attorney's actions. she's not trying to get him off or even get him a lighter sentence.

Also, in that Wiki link there are details of the calls he made to his victims. One of those was in 1991 and the victim said she heard a woman and children in the background. That's prophetic knowing what we know now.

:cow:
I believe the voices that were heard in the background during that one phone call were attributed to dialogue from a movie that was on television at the time the call was placed.

That's almost a laughable request!
Of course he does, because he doesn't want anyone to know the real numbers of crimes he committed!
Photos of???
This says a lot!
Moo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i know this is like screaming into the void but she's doing it so he has no grounds to appeal.

Most **** jobs require a note regardless. And you will get fired for not having one, especially if you live in a right to work state.
Yep! Moved from a different state to a "right to work" state (and from a medical marijuana state to one still stuck in the reefer madness days) and yeah much variation. I don't have a ____ job, so I can get away with more than the people in positions "below" mine.

I agree, but I heard about the tossed DNA kits in the GSK case on a podcast. I've not yet found information in a credible article or legal document. I'm hoping members of Websleuths on this thread may have read and be able to provide a reputable data source.

bbm
everyone knows what he's done. due process has to be carried out so he can't get an appeal. i don't understand the personalization (not a word) of the defense attorney's actions. she's not trying to get him off or even get him a lighter sentence.
??? you really think she's just doing this to dot the I's and cross the T's? At the minimum she's going to do her job to do everything she can to make sure he gets a fair trial, she could be disbarred for what you're suggesting

BooBoo
OT..if you work in a hospital. Note absolutely required after 3 days.

I believe the voices that were heard in the background during that one phone call were attributed to dialogue from a movie that was on television at the time the call was placed.
yes they were.. some movie buffs were able to track down the not only the name of the movie but they found the exact time it aired on TV corresponded to the time the phone call was placed

That's strange.......McGowan decides to look at police photos of cops in 1971, & the shooting happened in 1975.......unless he thought it was an ex-cop, that could be the only reason........heck, I would want to see all present photos of 1975 cops.......McGowan was assuming he wasn't a cop anymore, which isn't good. You gotta look at everything & not get tunnel vision on one angle.

But at least he had the inkling that he might have been a cop and he correctly surmised that VR and EAR were one in the same so he was ahead of his time on that one. But yeah it is very unfortunate he didn't look at 1973 hires.

BooBoo
OT..if you work in a hospital. Note absolutely required after 3 days.

i totally understand after more than 1 day consecutively but i got fired once for not having a note on day 1 (i didn't have the money for urgent care) and i was out of my 90 day period.

Again, in hindsight, that would mean 40-50 officers in total through '75. New recruits would be what?......a quarter of the total, max? I wonder how the detective settled on that one year, 1971? Oh well, some things will remain a mystery.

Maybe he had a specific person in mind.

Per Wikipedia...

Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 (with respect to federal laws) and Article 1, Section 10 (with respect to state laws).
MOO

I'm pathetically proud of myself for guessing the reason for it not being retroactive was constitutional. I guess I did learn one thing from that Government class.
:p

retroactive changes to laws are hard to put in place... opens a real pandoras box if we allow that to become common place. Think past changing one law but what if all laws were to suddenly become retroactively enforceable....

It quickly turns into this slippery slope of abuse. This is why writing laws is so complicated.
This reminds me of how i learned last night about The Junius letters and how the author is disputed but much of what was exposed came to define our concepts of freedom of speech and free press.

And number 1 - a tour of JJD's house showed separate bedrooms - so this was between '76 - 79, I presume. That is before children were born. Hmmm - and this was when they hadn't been married long.

(During this period as an Auburn police officer, the 48 East Area Rapist attacks took place, some attacks were as frequent as once per week. )

Could've been because of the shifts he was working.
I assume she was in law school at the time. Hell, he might have even encouraged it to suit his needs. :moo:

yes they were.. some movie buffs were able to track down the not only the name of the movie but they found the exact time it aired on TV corresponded to the time the phone call was placed

oh wow! Any clue what that movie was? holy crap. That's good sleuthing.

wow!
So many missing fingers in this case. strange coincidence.

There's a sub reddit called r/wince and a lot of men get these injuries through work with machines and power tools and things like that, fairly common actually.

I agree, but I heard about the tossed DNA kits in the GSK case on a podcast. I've not yet found information in a credible article or legal document. I'm hoping members of Websleuths on this thread may have read and be able to provide a reputable data source.
I hadn’t heard they had tossed DNA kits, but I had heard that some had degraded over time, or had been used up with prior dna testing. As I understand it, there was one smart medical examiner who routinely kept 2 dna kits for each case, just in case. And this is what was ultimately used to make the dna sample in the right format for GEDmatch.

eta: which podcast was it?
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members