CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(We had also pondered in Abby's and Libby's case if this had been done.)
At this time it's not legal in the state of Indiana. Only 12 states allow using familiar DNA. I imagine many states will be watching this case. Hopefully it goes well and convinces them to follow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Correct Shiressleuth! Yes, the very first newspaper article they read out in this podcast is an article talking about how JJD was visiting his sister in Exeter. His sister lived in Exeter during the time frame of all of these newly discovered crimes (from September 1970 - 1972)

What I was saying was that everywhere JJD went, the same kind of crimes followed him. Up until last year the only real argument was whether his crimes began in 1976 as the EAR or in 1974 (with a little bit of activity in 1973 that could have been related) as the VR.

Then last year, we heard about a large number of previously unknown crimes in Rancho Cordova in 1972 and 1973 where you correctly point up JJD was studying. They had so many of the same features we later saw in VR and EAR crimes, and in fact a 1976 EAR rape victim was the victim of a ransacking/burglary 3 years before her rape. The new episode seems to suggest JJD was also committing crimes in Exeter from 1970 through to 1972. It seems highly likely that he was driving back and forth between Exeter and Rancho Cordova during this time (during semester breaks and on weekends) offending in both communities. We would probably see evidence of similar crimes in other nearby areas to Exeter and Rancho Cordova such as how he was striking Visalia after moving to Exeter in 1973.

He seems to just have been completely unable to control his stalking, prowling, peeping, ransacking, breaking and entering etc... I doubt 24 hours in his life passed between at least 1970 and 1986 without him peeping, or conducting reconnaissance, or phoning a future or past victim.

We know that these types of crimes (eg peeping and prowling) usually begin when the offender is much younger than the 25 years old that JJD was in 1970 (indeed that's why most people assumed that the VR / EAR was a teenager when the crimes began)

I suspect that JJD was likely stealing underwear or peeping on neighbors as a much younger man, and had probably already begun breaking into homes much earlier than in 1970.

MOO.
I would really like to know more about his naval career. I know most people feel he just stayed on a tin can but his actions are so much the pattern of the covert stuff the Navy was doing. The Canberra had small craft and UDT units. If he didn't, perhaps he washed out of that training and spent the next years proving himself. I read an account from a DC who was recruited into a team because his repair skills were considered valuable. This was 69-70. He was sent to Subic Bay and Japan for training went on some missions then back to Coronado for more training. He said he wanted to go into LE when he came home to use the skills he had learned.

I can't imagine a serial killer would have that kind of long term goal and control? Shrug. Who knows, though, most of us can't think like that anyway. Thankfully.

Didn't Picton in B.C. say he fell one short of his 50 intended victims? Sorry if incorrect. Might have mis-remembered..old

Didn't Picton in B.C. say he fell one short of his 50 intended victims? Sorry if incorrect. Might have mis-remembered..old
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-killings/canadian-prosecutors-say-pickton-wanted-to-kill-50-idUSN2240655620070122
Canadian prosecutors say Pickton wanted to kill 50
NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Accused serial killer Robert “Willie” Pickton butchered his victims after killing them and told an undercover police officer that he had killed 49 women and wanted to kill one more, prosecutors told a Canadian court on Monday.

REMINDER:

Please don't bring rumors over from miscellaneous blogs / sites (i.e. Proboard, reddit).

Thanks.

I can see having a "goal" number, but not a stopping number, per se... Like, "I want to kill this many because then I'll feel whatever" makes more sense than "I'll kill this many and then stop." I guess the one seems like a possibly attainable aspiration which requires hope and action while the other is more of hope which requires lack of action. Like, I quit smoking a month ago tomorrow but about an hour ago I felt the urge and found the one cigarette I had left and took about 4 drags before it grossed me out and I threw it away. But killing is a super crazy urge, I can only imagine, and I guess I don't think it was self control... Like, imo serial killers have more hope than self control.

I wonder who will play him in the movie which is sure to come.

I would really like to know more about his naval career. I know most people feel he just stayed on a tin can but his actions are so much the pattern of the covert stuff the Navy was doing. The Canberra had small craft and UDT units. If he didn't, perhaps he washed out of that training and spent the next years proving himself. I read an account from a DC who was recruited into a team because his repair skills were considered valuable. This was 69-70. He was sent to Subic Bay and Japan for training went on some missions then back to Coronado for more training. He said he wanted to go into LE when he came home to use the skills he had learned.

Is no one else wondering if there were any unsolved burglaries/rapes from where he was stationed, took shore leave, etc.?

Hoping someone can answer this. Why is there a statute of limitations on rape? I’m angry & disgusted by it. I can’t even begin to put into words how upsetting it is to know there is such a thing. Rape victims have to live with what happened to them for the rest of their lives. The perp should have to look over his shoulder the rest of his out of fear of being caught... Having this statute of limitations is allowing rapists to remain in control of what they did to the victims. MOO

Sleuther, I am soooo 100% with you on this. I’m angry and disgusted, too. This backwards crap is part of why we have tens of thousands — hundreds of thousands — of untested rape kits piled up all over the country, too, imo. The statute of limitations could expire before a rape kit is even tested.

I’m grateful LE like Paul Holes were wise enough to fight to keep evidence from seemingly related rapes after the statue of limitations to prosecute them ran out — they tied the EAR/ONS cases together!

Here’s an interesting story from WaPo on the issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-tested-no-one-can-agree-on-what-to-do-next/

“The results of this haphazard system have been well documented. In New York City, an estimated 17,000 kits went untested. In Houston, there were 6,000. In Detroit, Los Angeles and Memphis, there were more than 11,000 each. Over the past two decades, the “rape kit backlog” has been in the news so many times that now, slowly, the problem is being fixed across the country. Under pressure from activists and legislators, states and cities big and small are counting their kits and sending them to be tested. And then, they are beginning to quietly struggle with a far more complicated challenge: What happens once the kits come back?”

Sleuther, I am soooo 100% with you on this. I’m angry and disgusted, too. This backwards crap is part of why we have tens of thousands — hundreds of thousands — of untested rape kits piled up all over the country, too, imo. The statute of limitations could expire before a rape kit is even tested.

I’m grateful LE like Paul Holes were wise enough to fight to keep evidence from seemingly related rapes after the statue of limitations to prosecute them ran out — they tied the EAR/ONS cases together!

Here’s an interesting story from WaPo on the issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-tested-no-one-can-agree-on-what-to-do-next/

“The results of this haphazard system have been well documented. In New York City, an estimated 17,000 kits went untested. In Houston, there were 6,000. In Detroit, Los Angeles and Memphis, there were more than 11,000 each. Over the past two decades, the “rape kit backlog” has been in the news so many times that now, slowly, the problem is being fixed across the country. Under pressure from activists and legislators, states and cities big and small are counting their kits and sending them to be tested. And then, they are beginning to quietly struggle with a far more complicated challenge: What happens once the kits come back?”

Thank you EuTuCroquet, for posting this.
Those numbers....my heart sunk[emoji174] It’s beyond shocking.
“What happens when the kits come back?” Sounds like they are more worried about the cost of prosecuting so many perps, right?? SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They interviewed a guy at the local law school this evening on the news, and he said that during that time period, the statute of limitations for rape in California was 3 years.

They interviewed a guy at the local law school this evening on the news, and he said that during that time period, the statute of limitations for rape in California was 3 years.

3 years....wow!! It took 40+ yrs to catch this monster, but yet 3 yrs,back then, BEFORE DNA, 3 yrs to catch these monsters & prosecute?! WOW Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right. James Holmes Batman movie killer had an amount he wanted to kill too as well in his notebook.

That’s why I thought a number could have been significant. Maybe something to do with Bonnie’s birthday or some numbers relating to an occasion with her.

As someone who is still here in California,
nothing surprizes me anymore from our so called lawmakers. I cannot wait to leave my beloved state of California.

They interviewed a guy at the local law school this evening on the news, and he said that during
that time period, the statute of limitations for rape in California was 3 years.

Sorry if this has been posted. I've been trying to keep up. This is a video of Detective McGowen after being shot by DeAngelo. (I'm not sure how this post will turn out because I'm trying to embed the video?)

"Visalia detective came face to face with 'Visalia Ransacker' serial killer in 1975"

http://abc30.com/3393359/

At this time it's not legal in the state of Indiana. Only 12 states allow using familiar DNA. I imagine many states will be watching this case. Hopefully it goes well and convinces them to follow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks terpstra1 Many groups are watching this case and the usage of familial DNA.

Apologies for a delayed response to pass-thru’s thoughtful post regarding the law and DNA. (https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...n-State-Killer-Case-3&p=14088982#post14088982) A few additional thoughts about the subject.

- Yes, I understand about standing, and we probably agree on the idea of the importance of standing to raise any 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment issues. I was only repeating some of the concerns I’ve read. From the website https://www.geneticsandsociety.org/biopolitical-times/forensic-dna-and-golden-state-killer: “One known problem with the present case is that a false identity was concocted to enable access to a public database. That appears to violate the terms of service of the site, and might possibly raise a Fourth Amendment issue, which could make the DNA evidence inadmissible.” FWIW I don’t have any reason to believe that will occur.

- From everything I’ve heard familial DNA is a growing topic among law enforcement, attorneys, the ACLU and genetic ethicists. California was actually at the head of the pack in establishing policy in 2008, but also framed its usage. Governor Brown authorized the use of familial searches, and California became the first state in the country to do so. Under the policy, these searches are allowed only as a “last resort” when all other investigative avenues have been exhausted.

- I agree that all the discussion of 4[SUP]th[/SUP] amendment issues may be a moot point, i.e., if and until SCOTUS comes up with more comprehensive decisions regarding the usage of digital material stored with the help of a third party.

- Another story discussing cases solved using familial DNA - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-familial-dna-20161023-snap-story.html

btw1-GEDMatch is not a DNA testing company. Folks have to have their DNA tested at one of the other DNA/genealogy companies. Someone seeking to complete their family tree then has to upload their test into GEDMatch.

btw2-LOL It appears Paul Holes as "Crime Daddy" has captured some admiring fans. :)

About 1 AM last night I started down my stairs to get a drink. Through the window I saw a reflection of a man at the bottom of the stairs and stopped dead in my tracks...It was my son who normally would be asleep. I don’t care how big and bad you think you are that’ll give you a heart attack while following this case.
My heart goes out to the victims. I so hope his arrest gives them a calming peace.

Similar thing happened to me. Someone knocked at the door last night about 11:30 p.m. . I nearly jumped out of my skin. I live up a dark track that only goes to 2 other properties. My dogs didn't bark either which was weird. They were just looking for one of the other properties. So they said. :scared: :scream:

Imo it should be 3 years from getting a DNA match. Especially if it takes more than 3 years for rape test kits to come back. Hope some changes come from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiosities