CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the state need to have a doctor examine him in order to get him out of that wheelchair, at least long enough to answer a question or two in court? They didn't pull him out of a nursing home, for crying out loud. This really annoys me, but it's in keeping with his weasel-like personality.
he can answer questions just fine from a wheel chair, but should he? answering questions that's actually up to his attorney, not the state. The fact is he can go through the entire trial and hearings and all that and never say a word if he doesn't care to and there is absolutely nothing the state can do about it

Ah, this answers the question I had about OCD v. OCPD... That said, when I see criminals with a pathological need to control others/punish others/abuse or attack others, that to me seems much more like Cluster B personality disorders (sociopathy, narcissism, borderline) than any of obsessive/compulsive disorders. Cluster B people absolutely exhibit weird compulsions, but they also have no empathy, causing victimization of others in a wide variety of methods and degrees. Plus, like DeAngelo, their self-pity knows no bounds. Those aren't features of OCD. Just my opinion.

OCD isn’t the same as OCPD. Maybe we should just call it by the ISD and DSM-given name of Anankastic Personality Disorder.

Anankastic PD is an Axis II, Cluster C, personality disorder (fearful, anxious) as opposed to Cluster B (dramatic, erratic). He could have Cluster B and Cluster C traits. One doesn’t necessarily preclude the other. JJD doesn’t strike me as dramatic or erratic, tbh.

He’s methodical, imho. In my interpretation, he’s controlling (both internally and interpersonally), compulsive, antisocial, emotionally unstable, maladaptive, intelligent, entitled, lacks empathy, is rigid and intolerant ... anankastic.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/the-10-personality-disorders

Anankastic Personality Disorder diagnostic criteria: https://mhreference.org/personality-disorder/anankastic/

Here's my question.... this dude really loved taking on a persona, committing a bunch of crimes in that "series" (for lack of a better word) and then dropped it for a new one. Before he was determined to be the ransacker, the rapist, night stalker, etc did amy of the series overlap? Or when he was done with one, he was done and moved on to a new m.o. Did the timelines overlap at all?

The reason I ask that is this.... if he "put away" one persona before starting a new one, I will be very surprised if the one we know about is last. Before they knew it was the same person, they assumed he moved on or died. But, now we realize, he just morphed into a new crime spree.

I hope this makes sense. I notice weird details, but I am horrible with dates and locations and timelines. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here's my question.... this dude really loved taking on a persona, committing a bunch of crimes in that "series" (for lack of a better word) and then dropped it for a new one. Before he was determined to be the ransacker, the rapist, night stalker, etc did amy of the series overlap? Or when he was done with one, he was done and moved on to a new m.o. Did the timelines overlap at all?

The reason I ask that is this.... if he "put away" one persona before starting a new one, I will be very surprised if the one we know about is last. Before they knew it was the same person, they assumed he moved on or died. But, now we realize, he just morphed into a new crime spree.

I hope this makes sense. I notice weird details, but I am horrible with dates and locations and timelines. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully we’ll find out if he did change his MO again, and maybe if he had another MO before the VR crimes. If he had a computer, there might be a lot of valuable info on it. I can’t wait to see what, if anything they found in his house.

I wonder what his relationship was like with his stepfather and how old he was when his mother and him were married.

Attached is an article with a quote from a forensic psychologist who has studied serial murderers:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Suspected-East-Area-Rapist-Golden-State-Killer-12866531.php

He often tied up the male victims and stacked dinner plates on them, and told couples he would kill them both if he heard the plates fall while he was raping the woman, investigators said.

“That is just classic psychopathy,” Reavis said. “In the moment, he is the evil genius, omniscient, omnipotent and he holds this person’s life in his hands. My guess is that would be incredibly exciting to him and also sexually arousis just classic psychopathy,” Reavis said. “In the moment, he is the evil genius, omniscient, omnipotent and he holds this person’s life in his hands. My guess is that would be incredibly exciting to him and also sexually arousi
ng. It’s classic predatory aggression.”

-----------

Book:

HUNTING A PSYCHOPATH: The East Area Rapist / Original Night Stalker Investigation - The Original Investigator Speaks Out

----------

Hare Psychopathy Checklist:

http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Hare-Psychopathy-Checklist.html

glib and superficial charm
grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
need for stimulation
pathological lying
cunning and manipulativeness
lack of remorse or guilt
shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
callousness and lack of empathy
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
lack of realistic long-term goals
impulsivity
irresponsibility
failure to accept responsibility for own actions
many short-term marital relationships
juvenile delinquency
revocation of conditional release
criminal versatility

A score of 30 or above qualifies a person for a diagnosis of psychopathy. People with no criminal backgrounds normally score around 5. Many non-psychopathic criminal offenders score around 22.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/dont-walk-this-way-how-yo_b_6509478.html

Psychopaths were selected to be studied in this research because they make up 15% to 25% of a typical prison population, and are responsible for 50% of violent crime.

https://www.med.wisc.edu/news-and-e...opaths-brains-differences-structure-function/

The study showed that psychopaths have reduced connections between the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC), the part of the brain responsible for sentiments such as empathy and guilt, and the amygdala, which mediates fear and anxiety.

The study, published in the most recent Journal of Neuroscience, builds on earlier work by Newman and Koenigs that showed that psychopaths' decision-making mirrors that of patients with known damage to their ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC). This bolsters evidence that problems in that part of the brain are connected to the disorder.

"The decision-making study showed indirectly what this study shows directly - that there is a specific brain abnormality associated with criminal psychopathy," Koenigs adds.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2011/10/words-psychopaths-reveal-their-predatory-nature

The words of psychopaths reveal their predatory nature

Psychopaths used more conjunctions like "because," "since" or "so that," implying that the crime "had to be done" to obtain a particular goal. They used twice as many words relating to physical needs, such as food, sex or money, while non-psychopaths used more words about social needs, including family, religion and spirituality.

Book that is the source for some of the things I posted earlier:

Robert D. Hare - "Without Conscience"

Documentary that is the source for some of the things I posted earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60vK6Uw9sSE

It amazes me how this guy kept changing his M.O. Many serial killers evolve once they find what works for them, IMO, but this guy changed the way he did things so often. I guess what he was getting out of what he was doing worked for him for awhile, then he needed to change it up for new kicks and more gratification. Yet, to me, he took a step backwards if he is the Visalia Ransacker. That's definitely a step backwards. IMO.

@miya, thank you very much for this very informative compilation! Awesome :)

It amazes me how this guy kept changing his M.O. Many serial killers evolve once they find what works for them, IMO, but this guy changed the way he did things so often. I guess what he was getting out of what he was doing worked for him for awhile, then he needed to change it up for new kicks and more gratification. Yet, to me, he took a step backwards if he is the Visalia Ransacker. That's definitely a step backwards. IMO.

A step backwards from what? I thought the Visalia Ransacker crimes were the first crimes of his that we know about.

A step backwards from what? I thought the Visalia Ransacker crimes were the first crimes of his that we know about.

Yes, you are right. He progressed from
B&E (VRS) to Rape (EAR) to Murder (ONS)

though there was a murder at the end of each of the VRS & EAR periods

MOO

if he was the Visalia Ransacker that came first followed by rapes then murders

paul holes has stated post arrest in most of his interviews that he didn't originally think the golden state killer was the vr but has since changed his mind now they have an arrested individual.
these interviews with him are here linked in the media threads.
or easily found on u tube.
jmo

Snelling was killed with a gun stolen from one of the other VR burglaries. Find the VR and you find Snelling's murderer.
On the 5th GSK episode that was on HLN this afternoon, there was a list of things that they say would indentify the Visalia Ransacker and one of those things, besides the stolen handgun, the stolen loot or a confession, was Fingerprints. Did anyone who worked the burglaries ever mention that fingerprints were recovered from any of the homes? Not that I remember. I thought DeAngelo always wore gloves. But anyways... if Visalia L.E. has his fingerprint(s) in any of their crime reports and can match it to any of DeAngelo's nine fingerprints, that would be a strong indicator that he is good for all 100+ ransackings, in addition to the attempted kidnapping and murder. Not that the ransackings would matter in a court of law, but just to close the book on the ransackings and also complete the book on DeAngelo.

he can answer questions just fine from a wheel chair, but should he? answering questions that's actually up to his attorney, not the state. The fact is he can go through the entire trial and hearings and all that and never say a word if he doesn't care to and there is absolutely nothing the state can do about it

DeAngelo wouldn't even have to be in the courtroom during his trial, would he? I think some defendants have watched the proceedings (voluntarily or involuntarily) from a holding cell near the courtroom. But I suppose DeAngelo will play the helpless, aging victim in all this and sit silently in his wheelchair throughout the trial. Oh, boo hoo. Poor me. <modsnip>

Psychopathy can be present in Cluster B and Cluster C personality disorders. We're all singing variations of the same tune.

OK. I'm done talking about it.

:deadhorse:

He often tied up the male victims and stacked dinner plates on them, and told couples he would kill them both if he heard the plates fall while he was raping the woman, investigators said.

&#8220;That is just classic psychopathy,&#8221; Reavis said. &#8220;In the moment, he is the evil genius, omniscient, omnipotent and he holds this person&#8217;s life in his hands. My guess is that would be incredibly exciting to him and also sexually arousis just classic psychopathy,&#8221; Reavis said. &#8220;In the moment, he is the evil genius, omniscient, omnipotent and he holds this person&#8217;s life in his hands. My guess is that would be incredibly exciting to him and also sexually arousi
ng. It&#8217;s classic predatory aggression.&#8221;

-----------

Book:

HUNTING A PSYCHOPATH: The East Area Rapist / Original Night Stalker Investigation - The Original Investigator Speaks Out

----------

Hare Psychopathy Checklist:

http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Hare-Psychopathy-Checklist.html

glib and superficial charm
grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
need for stimulation
pathological lying
cunning and manipulativeness
lack of remorse or guilt
shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
callousness and lack of empathy
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
lack of realistic long-term goals
impulsivity
irresponsibility
failure to accept responsibility for own actions
many short-term marital relationships
juvenile delinquency
revocation of conditional release
criminal versatility

A score of 30 or above qualifies a person for a diagnosis of psychopathy. People with no criminal backgrounds normally score around 5. Many non-psychopathic criminal offenders score around 22.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/dont-walk-this-way-how-yo_b_6509478.html

Psychopaths were selected to be studied in this research because they make up 15% to 25% of a typical prison population, and are responsible for 50% of violent crime.

https://www.med.wisc.edu/news-and-e...opaths-brains-differences-structure-function/

The study showed that psychopaths have reduced connections between the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC), the part of the brain responsible for sentiments such as empathy and guilt, and the amygdala, which mediates fear and anxiety.

The study, published in the most recent Journal of Neuroscience, builds on earlier work by Newman and Koenigs that showed that psychopaths' decision-making mirrors that of patients with known damage to their ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC). This bolsters evidence that problems in that part of the brain are connected to the disorder.

"The decision-making study showed indirectly what this study shows directly - that there is a specific brain abnormality associated with criminal psychopathy," Koenigs adds.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2011/10/words-psychopaths-reveal-their-predatory-nature

The words of psychopaths reveal their predatory nature

Psychopaths used more conjunctions like "because," "since" or "so that," implying that the crime "had to be done" to obtain a particular goal. They used twice as many words relating to physical needs, such as food, sex or money, while non-psychopaths used more words about social needs, including family, religion and spirituality.

Book that is the source for some of the things I posted earlier:

Robert D. Hare - "Without Conscience"

Documentary that is the source for some of the things I posted earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60vK6Uw9sSE

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have a sister and a nephew with schizophrenia. It's absolutely not something that can be turned on and off--as in display it during his crimes, but then show up and work a regular shift with no problems. There's problems. There may be other things going on with him, but I'm voting no on the schizophrenia.

I'm also going to vote no on schizophrenia. My dad was schizophrenic. He started showing symptoms in his early 20s (21-23) while he was deployed in Vietnam. This is the typical age symptoms manifest, women do show symptoms later and are most of the outlying cases but I just don't think that JJD is schizophrenic; no way he could've held any job for 30 years. I don't really think JJD was a schizophrenic unless he was very, very well managed on medication (a true rarity with any mental illness) but if he were in the navy in his early 20s that could've ended his military career.

It's weird when people try to assign mental illness to prolific murderers. If more people knew about the day-to-day struggles of mental illness and how hard it makes it to live life (you can't hold a job and you end up on the fringe of society) they'd understand why people with mental illness are often the VICTIMS of violent crimes and not the perpetrators. It is slightly offensive to me, someone who grew up with people being scared of my dad and as someone who has a mental illness as well. :p I wish people would not equate mental illness with "crazy" and violent crime.:p

He didn't have a psychotic break or psychosis,those things you cannot control what you do when you are in one,He controlled everything and thought out many things a lot of times. A lot of people here throwing around words like psychosis and schizophrenia without ever in their lives seeing someone with it in person.
The simple fact is he is a psychopath that simply enjoyed killing and raping.

:goodpost:

Or whether there was any activity on his computer for the Dark Web. Because if he did stop raping and killing men and women after 1986, he had to get his jollies somehow. Deviant sex sites and the Dark Web seems like a good place for him.

A person really doesn't even need the special browser (?) needed to connect to the "dark web" to find twisted *advertiser censored*. It's right here on the "regular" web.

DeAngelo wouldn't even have to be in the courtroom during his trial, would he? I think some defendants have watched the proceedings (voluntarily or involuntarily) from a holding cell near the courtroom. But I suppose DeAngelo will play the helpless, aging victim in all this and sit silently in his wheelchair throughout the trial. Oh, boo hoo. Poor me. <modsnip>

I know that defendants have watched via CCTV or were not present during the trial but honestly I don't know what circumstances are in play for that. you'd think being in the courtroom would be mandatory but then there are special circumstances where they have to make other arrangements..

I know that defendants have watched via CCTV or were not present during the trial but honestly I don't know what circumstances are in play for that. you'd think being in the courtroom would be mandatory but then there are special circumstances where they have to make other arrangements..

Yeah, he wouldn’t be required to actually be in the courtroom. I think he’ll likely start talking, as most serial killers do. I’m actually a little surprised that he hasn’t yet, as his image and fame is the only thing he has left. I’d be stunned if there wasn’t a plea deal, and this all doesn’t become a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. He also sounds more OCDP than OCD. There is a difference but culture at large never discusses this. Frustrating. Anywho, regardless, this wouldn’t cause him to murder. His being a psychopath would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between OCPD and OCD came up elsewhere when discussing this case. Thank you for stating that there is a difference. It's very true that many, many people use them interchangeably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1