CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of questions with JJD, but one thing I'm wondering is how he was able to buy a house in 1980? He was fired by the Auburn PD in July 1979 and there are no apparent employment records for him from that date until 1991. Also, in 1980, I'm pretty sure his wife was still in law school. She graduated in 1982.

I've read he got a VA loan on the house. If we assume he got a break on the interest rate and more relaxed underwriting requirements because he was a veteran, it would have to be a HUGE break as the banking industry was in a state of crisis and the average mortgage interest rate in April of 1980 was 16.32%. If she was in school and he wasn't employed, how did they qualify for a mortgage and how did they afford the mortgage payments?

Also, 1980 is the year the serial murders began to occur in southern California. WTH?

This 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house, 1499 sq ft, on 9,148 sq ft property was built in 1979. Last sold for $77,000. Estimated value $369,221.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Citrus-Heights/8316-Canyon-Oak-Dr-95610/home/19216057

This would mean he bought it brand new. In 1980 this might have been alot of money??
I echo your questions.

ETA: I read wife was removed from title 3/1/1992.

Monday, May 14th:
*Prelim Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - Joseph James DeAngelo (72) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Sacramento County
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather's) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch) cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says.
4/24/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, for Dr. Robert Offerman (44) and Dr. Alexandria Manning (35) on 12/20/79 in Goleta and Cheri Domingo (35) and Gregory Sanchez (27) on 6/27/81 in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special cicumstances for Patrice Harrington (27) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point, Manuela Witthuhn (28) on 2/6/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine.
12 total counts of murder.
JJD's mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. Responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end. It's also believed the serial killer possibly also murdered Claude Snelling (45) on 9/11/75 in Visalia (Tulare County). In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases.
5/4/18: Judge :denied: defense motion. Rules search warrant seeking photos, DNA of JJD will proceed.

Some senior members of the police are convinced that Mr Cruel is Dr BAE, a retired Melbourne University lecturer, who has granted interviews and freely admits he is the prime suspect in the case:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...s/news-story/4aa009a7026f137965adf7ac43b0cedc

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...s/news-story/3fda868094c4204d87dc3dcfba744534

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...5967d291ae?sv=835b8cdd28d45011f90ec1dcc6be04c

I have my doubts that Elkner is Mr Cruel. ROBERT KEITH KNIGHT was a possible. There are others that could be ,,,,,,,,Mr Cruel is very like JJD. These arses keep trophies .

With the 4 first degree murder charges in Ventura County last week, the murder of Professor Claude Snelling is the only one of the 13 murders JJD is currently believed to have committed that he hasn't yet been charged with. Hopefully, the 13th first degree murder charge will come one day:

For Visalia police, Golden State Killer suspect is 'the ghost we've been chasing'

After last month’s arrest of the suspected Golden State Killer, Joseph James DeAngelo Jr., the Visalia Police Department said it believes the ransacker and the killer are the same man. But in the absence of crime scene DNA, police are working to use fingerprints found at the burglary scenes, as well as items that were left behind at the crimes, to prove the connection.

DeAngelo’s arrest has provided a “jolt” to Visalia police’s investigation, [Visalia Police Sgt. Damon] Maurice said. Police are working with the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department to determine whether any of the items stolen in Visalia were found in DeAngelo’s Citrus Heights home.

“This is the ghost we've been chasing,” he said.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/california/la-me-ln-visalia-ransacker-20180507-story.html

From the same article, more information on the ransacking/burglary of Pat Monno's house - where JJD stole the rare revolver used to kill Professor Snelling:

“Everything in that house was out,” Monno, 83, said as he sipped on a cup of green tea. “Every kitchen drawer, everything, dumped on the floor.”

The ransacker didn’t take anything of value, he said, except for his pistol — the one used to kill Snelling. His wife’s jewelry remained untouched, but the burglar had taken pieces of costume jewelry from his daughter’s room — one earring from each set and a bracelet — and photos of her that sat in frames in her room.

“I was wondering what the heck happened,” Monno said.

I am just wondering, after reading the many very informative posts after the arrest of JJD - Has there been any explanation why witnesses of EAR/ONS/VR thought they saw a blond guy, but it turns out the guy WASN'T blond? This was a crucial point that has made much of his 'luck', not getting caught, I think. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Ps. For me it was a big happy surprise that the suspect was caught. I only heard about those unbelievable crimes after watching the 48 Hours episode on Michelle McNamara's work, last Sept in Australia, only a few months ago. Can't imagine how survivors and victims' families having to wait 40 years.

I am just wondering, after reading the many very informative posts after the arrest of JJD - Has there been any explanation why witnesses of EAR/ONS/VR thought they saw a blond guy, but it turns out the guy WASN'T blond? This was a crucial point that has made much of his 'luck', not getting caught, I think. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Ps. For me it was a big happy surprise that the suspect was caught. I only heard about those unbelievable crimes after watching the 48 Hours episode on Michelle McNamara's work, last Sept in Australia, only a few months ago. Can't imagine how survivors and victims' families having to wait 40 years.

Welcome to Ws. Via Marple, thanks for your first post here!
GGK looks like he has the type of hair that could look blond or dark depending on the season and lighting, it would not surprise me either if he coloured his hair, imo, speculation.

VR was described as having a round face and light blonde hair. He was chubby/fat.

Some victims described EAR's hair as blonde and some said it was brown. He was described to be in very good shape. Deangelo must have lost lot of weight between 1975-76.

Lots of questions with JJD, but one thing I'm wondering is how he was able to buy a house in 1980? He was fired by the Auburn PD in July 1979 and there are no apparent employment records for him from that date until 1991. Also, in 1980, I'm pretty sure his wife was still in law school. She graduated in 1982.

I've read he got a VA loan on the house. If we assume he got a break on the interest rate and more relaxed underwriting requirements because he was a veteran, it would have to be a HUGE break as the banking industry was in a state of crisis and the average mortgage interest rate in April of 1980 was 16.32%. If she was in school and he wasn't employed, how did they qualify for a mortgage and how did they afford the mortgage payments?

Also, 1980 is the year the serial murders began to occur in southern California. WTH?
They likely qualified for HUD Section 235 mortgage subsidy. I'm familiar with 1981 and 1982 qualifications.
https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/43301C10HSGH.PDF
10-1 GENERAL (24 CFR 235). Under the Section 235 program, HUD assists mortgagors in making their monthly mortgage payments by paying directly to the mortgagee a portion of the mortgagor's monthly payment as long as the mortgagor remains eligible for subsidy under this program.
[...]

https://www.clickondetroit.com/live...ate-killer-joseph-james-deangelo-due-in-court
[h=1]LIVE STREAM: Suspected 'Golden State Killer' Joseph James DeAngelo due in court[/h] [h=2]DeAngelo is not expected to enter a plea Monday[/h]
DeAngelo is not expected to enter a plea Monday, but the judge will hear arguments regarding the motion put forth by news outlets petitioning for the release of the search warrant affidavit that is currently sealed.

You can watch the hearing at 11:30 a.m. EST right here on ClickOnDetroit.

He might have wore a hat with a blond wig? Or had blonde streaks in his hair?

Karma Dickerson (channel 40 news) said that JJD walked into court this morning. Case is continued until May 29th to allow his attorney to obtain additional documents and the judge will hear arguments to unseal warrants.

She is on Twitter @karmadfox40

Someone else is reporting there's photos on Twitter but never said who posted them.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article210875529.html
East Area Rapist suspect ditches his wheelchair, walks into court hearing
[FONT=&amp]May 14, 2018 09:32 AM
Updated 2 minutes ago

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]After appearing in court three times in a wheelchair, accused East Area Rapist suspect Joseph James DeAngelo managed to walk into court on his own power Monday for a brief hearing that was continued without any action being taken.
DeAngelo, 72, walked into the steel cage in Sacramento Superior Court Michael Sweet's courtroom in the first floor of the Main Jail, where he is being held without bail as he faces 12 murder counts.
[...]

[/FONT]

The three times he was in a wheelchair--weren't all three of them televised? Now today, no cameras, no wheelchair.

Playing to the audience?

<modsnip>

The three times he was in a wheelchair--weren't all three of them televised? Now today, no cameras, no wheelchair.

Playing to the audience?

<modsnip>

I believe only the first was televised.. the rest have been no electronic media coverage allowed

I believe only the first was televised.. the rest have been no electronic media coverage allowed

Which is ridiculous to me as this is a big case here in CA that has affected many people growing up including me. We should be able to see this monster like other defendants here in our other high profile cases.

Rapes and burglaries had occurred. But this was the first time the East Area Rapist killed
http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article210938844.html

Goes thru the circumstances of the Maggiore murder. Quotes from some people who lived near the murder scene.

MOO

Thanks for that link. As much as I’ve followed this whole story for a couple of years now, I guess it really just struck me now, reading this, that the Maggiores were only 20 and 21. Even though they were married and Brian was starting his career in the military, that’s an equivalent age to be in juniors in college. They really were just young kids and their whole lives should have been ahead of them. &#128560;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth