CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/golden-state-killer-victims-family-members-face-suspect/story?id=55145107
deangelo-01-ht-rc-180514_hpEmbed_4x3_992.jpg

[h=1]Daughter of alleged 'Golden State Killer' victim sees suspect for 1st time: 'He didn't look our way once'[/h]
  • By Jenna Harrison

• Emily Shapiro
May 14, 2018
"He looked incredibly ordinary, which I think is the part that all of us are struggling with," she said. "From the outside he looks particularly ordinary and yet we know on the inside there's a monster there."
"I was glad to be holding the hand of one of the rape survivors," she said. "It felt good to be together and ready to fight this guy."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-judge-delays-arguments-serial-killer-records-172000405.html

From link:
"Joseph DeAngelo appeared Monday in a barred cage in a courtroom inside a Sacramento County jail. The barred-off area is typically used for defendants who are in jail.

DeAngelo had previously been outside the cage but handcuffed to a wheelchair next to his public defender.

His court appearance was brief and no significant action was taken. He has not yet entered a plea."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not sure if i understand the concept of a barred cage in a courtroom. Is that standard practice? does the cage move, or is it stationary in a courtroom?
Does it protect the accused, is it a form of public humiliation?
speculation, imo.

Not sure if i understand the concept of a barred cage in a courtroom. Is that standard practice? does the cage move, or is it stationary in a courtroom?
Does it protect the accused, is it a form of public humiliation?
speculation, imo.
I know! I was asking that earlier on the board.
Is that normal for that court? Because they do not have security for violent criminals? Or because they are wary of what he might do to himself? Like suicide by LE? Or is it psychological, reducing him to an animal?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-judge-delays-arguments-serial-killer-records-172000405.html

From link:
"Joseph DeAngelo appeared Monday in a barred cage in a courtroom inside a Sacramento County jail. The barred-off area is typically used for defendants who are in jail.

DeAngelo had previously been outside the cage but handcuffed to a wheelchair next to his public defender.

His court appearance was brief and no significant action was taken. He has not yet entered a plea."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Actually this answers my question. It sounds like this is a normal feature of this court for defendants who are in jail.

"DeAngelo's public defender sought to keep sealed the records that led to his arrest or delay their release until her office receives a complete list of what police took in their search. The prosecutors' office turned over a list on Monday — but it lacks information on what investigators found on DeAngelo's cellphone and computer.

The warrant and accompanying documents — including a statement by investigators explaining why they believe DeAngelo is behind at least 12 killings, dozens of rapes and more than 100 burglaries across the state — could shed light on how exactly investigators homed in on him as a suspect using DNA from a decades-old arrest case and a genealogy website.

Defense attorney Diane Howard argued hat she is preparing for "what will inevitably be the biggest trial in California history" and that pretrial publicity will make the proceedings against her client unfair.

In an opposition brief filed to Judge Michael Sweet, Howard noted the affidavits to the search and arrest warrants total 114 pages, suggesting they contain a large volume of sensitive investigative information. Making those details public may jeopardize prosecution and influence potential witnesses, including those not yet located, she argued.

The sealed affidavits contain information on a large number of rapes and other serious crimes alleged against DeAngelo, but for which the statute of limitations has run out and he cannot be prosecuted, Howard said. It also contains information on an alleged murder prior to the Sacramento County killings, but details were not immediately available."

"Howard also warned that the April 24 probable cause statement used to secure DeAngelo's arrest included material from old investigations that if made public could contaminate the case.

"Witnesses providing the information in the affidavits did so several decades ago and may have passed away or the prosecution may not call them to testify," her filing said.

The fact that DeAngelo wasn't identified as a suspect until early 2018, Howard said, citing detectives' statements, means the case is "far from over."

She also pointed out that the innovative technique authorities used to find DeAngelo — trolling public genealogy websites and comparing the data against crime scene DNA — is mentioned only in passing in their search warrant affidavit.

In fact, she told the court, the search warrant contains only a single sentence describing the DNA process.

"Nowhere in the affidavits is there any mention of genealogical websites," she said."

DeAngelo worked as a police officer for small towns in California until 1979, when he was fired in Auburn for shoplifting a hammer and dog repellent. He then worked for decades as a truck mechanic, living in a suburb north of Sacramento and communities that had been terrified by rapes and murders now attributed to the Golden State Killer.

Do you think they skipped right over the missing time period, 1979-91? Or do you think they’re saying he worked as a truck mechanic during that time period? Reads like he went right from PO to truck mechanic.

MOO

@ Jennifer17

"Trying to look like a man just walking a dog rather than a man walking around looking for victims." - J17

Almost finished listening to the podcast, Case 53,
(chills running down my arms as I read or listen
to the details of JJA 's 'evilness', his path of distruction)
I now have a better sence of the geography, locale.

Also, learned that JJA had left costume jewelry,
at one of his B&Es.

http://jcarole.com/i-saw-joseph-deangelo-the-golden-state-killer-in-person-for-the-first-time/

"The first is catching DeAngelo doesn’t bring closure. I have been saying this for the last two weeks – there needs to be a word for the opposite of closure. I guess beginning could work but it misses the nuance. This is like re-opening an old wound.

I was instantly validated when I asked the others in the courtroom this morning if they felt closure and they said no, it’s made all the memories come back. Those damn memories. Which lead to the nightmares and images of brutality that live in each of our minds in our own way.
It also adds a level of complexity to our lives I didn’t anticipate. I’ll give you one example: how does one stay involved in a trial like this and work?! I’ve taken some time off but we are looking at months if not years for this case. I don’t know what the answer will turn out to be on this front.

The second feeling in had today, might be considered cognitive dissonance – but at an abstract level. I was looking at another human being, a man I might pass on the street or in the grocery store. He might have been with his daughter or granddaughter. I would think nothing of it. But this man has lived in my mind as a monster for 38 years. I don’t know what I thought he would look like, but I didn’t think he would look human. That maybe makes me the most sad. Because he was a dad and a grampa and literally nothing matters to him. He’s just left destruction in his path. Brutal, evil, dark, compulsive, destruction. And no matter what happens at this point, we can’t get any of the goodness that’s been lost, back."

I know! I was asking that earlier on the board.
Is that normal for that court? Because they do not have security for violent criminals? Or because they are wary of what he might do to himself? Like suicide by LE? Or is it psychological, reducing him to an animal?

i'd say it would be to protect the criminal from the people in the court room "at times". also i would hope for a bit of humiliation. who's your daddy now Mr

http://jcarole.com/i-saw-joseph-deangelo-the-golden-state-killer-in-person-for-the-first-time/

"The first is catching DeAngelo doesn’t bring closure. I have been saying this for the last two weeks – there needs to be a word for the opposite of closure. I guess beginning could work but it misses the nuance. This is like re-opening an old wound.

I was instantly validated when I asked the others in the courtroom this morning if they felt closure and they said no, it’s made all the memories come back. Those damn memories. Which lead to the nightmares and images of brutality that live in each of our minds in our own way.
It also adds a level of complexity to our lives I didn’t anticipate. I’ll give you one example: how does one stay involved in a trial like this and work?! I’ve taken some time off but we are looking at months if not years for this case. I don’t know what the answer will turn out to be on this front.

The second feeling in had today, might be considered cognitive dissonance – but at an abstract level. I was looking at another human being, a man I might pass on the street or in the grocery store. He might have been with his daughter or granddaughter. I would think nothing of it. But this man has lived in my mind as a monster for 38 years. I don’t know what I thought he would look like, but I didn’t think he would look human. That maybe makes me the most sad. Because he was a dad and a grampa and literally nothing matters to him. He’s just left destruction in his path. Brutal, evil, dark, compulsive, destruction. And no matter what happens at this point, we can’t get any of the goodness that’s been lost, back."

Thanks for the excellent link, very interesting observations including the ones about what the lawyers were wearing!
imo, rbbm.

The most striking thing in the room was the cage. You can see it in the courtroom photo (here’s another angle, his wheelchair is in front of the cage here). It is an imposing site. It’s a cage with a lock on the front that needed a key to open the barred door. The bars were thick steel and then, as if someone said, “Can’t we make this fit the motif?”, some paneling was added to the sides so, you know, it would bring the whole room together. The cage was empty and it was intimidating. I couldn’t imagine what kind of criminal would need something so substantial. Unless someone was mid-Meth trip, I couldn’t imagine someone needing that level of security.

As members of both legal teams, bailiffs and court staff moved easily from the courtroom to the backroom, we assumed that’s where DeAngelo would come from. I thought they would walk him out and lock him in the cage and we’d get started. But I was wrong.

[h=6]DeAngelo enters the courtroom.[/h] The bailiff read the rules (no noise, cameras, recordings, cell phone noises, etc) and in a jiffy, the judge entered the court. I’m not sure what he said because suddenly the lawyers for the defense jumped up, moved toward the cage and that’s when I realized there was a door that opened into the cage and it was through that door, DeAngelo entered.
There he was. Just a man. An old, craggy-faced man who didn’t look pleasant. He looked angry. He had whiskers on his face and he shoulders where slightly stooped. His mouth barely moved when he whispered to his female attorney. She appeared to be soothing him and making a point of touching him and talking very close. It appeared intimate and it nauseated me. There’s nothing in the lawyer handbook about mothering your client.

i'd say it would be to protect the criminal from the people in the court room "at times". also i would hope for a bit of humiliation. who's your daddy now Mr

The court is attached to the jail. IMO, there are secure parts of the jail, where the prisoners are kept, and there are more public areas. The public areas are also pretty secure, with metal detectors and LE posted throughout, but the public areas are where members of the public are allowed. IMO, the cages allow the prisoners to make their court appearance from within the jail/secured area, without being processed in & out of the jail.

MOO

Thanks for the excellent link, very interesting observations including the ones about what the lawyers were wearing!
imo, rbbm.

Anyone else thinks the female defense attorney's body language and touching are inappropriate? Is it all an act?

The court is attached to the jail. IMO, there are secure parts of the jail, where the prisoners are kept, and there are more public areas. The public areas are also pretty secure, with metal detectors and LE posted throughout, but the public areas are where members of the public are allowed. IMO, the cages allow the prisoners to make their court appearance from within the jail/secured area, without being processed in & out of the jail.

MOO
We don't have them in TX courts. That's not to say a cage could not be erected in a special circumstance but it is not a normal thing. We just shackle prisoners when they are removed from their cell.

We don't have them in TX courts. That's not to say a cage could not be erected in a special circumstance but it is not a normal thing. We just shackle prisoners when they are removed from their cell.

I don’t think we have them here in MA either (though the seem to have them in a separate secure room, they are allowed to step into the courtroom).
http://www.leominsterchamp.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2017-04-21/1p1.jpg

But I did see it in one other CA case I was following. That was the Blaze Bernstein case, in Orange County. The accused murderer, Sam Woodward, was also in a cage when he appeared in court. Different county in CA than this case, so leads me to believe it is more typical in CA.
https://www.dailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/0118_nws_ocr-l-blaze-09a.jpg

MOO

Anyone else thinks the female defense attorney's body language and touching are inappropriate? Is it all an act?
Well, it looks really gross, but thinking it is all about the defense trying to show that the suspect is human and perhaps to assert her authority and control over the " beast. " or, to convey the sense that he is now just a harmless, weak old man.
Unsure if he has the power to replace his lawyers if he wants, but this is a high profile dream gig for a defense lawyer, so it makes good business sense to make her client feel like she can be trusted.
speculation, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member