CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the Zodiac be alive (which I doubt) he is undoubtedly nervous tonight. Just like the GSK answer was in Sacramento I think we can all agree the answer to Z is in or was in Vallejo.

ACD74

The top middle sketch and the bottom right look a lot like him. The one with the giant, padded jockstrap on the bottom left–not so much. Did he actually wear that getup to one of his crimes?

Screenshot_3-18.x70825.png

Imho it's probably both, but I think what the poster said upthread about not wanting to purchase those items was likely the main motive behind the theft.

I’ve been lurking since the news of an arrest broke.
IMO Perhaps he shop lifted these items because he did not want to be tied to yet another witness (cashier, sales clerk), someone who could get a clear view of his face/build/clothing, someone who is not under duress & as such might have a clearer memory of his features or easily recognize him from a line up?
Just my thoughts on it & MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was in complete shock today over this news. Many emotions....shock, but also sadness (for his daughters) and joy (that he's finally caught).

In California in the 1970s, it was not uncommon for police to undergo a polygraph as part of their pre-employment investigation. Expecting that the man had to go through an investigation for hiring into a sworn position, how did he pass the polygraph? It would suggest, to me, a lack of conscience or someone who doesn't associate themselves with their own criminal behaviors.

Maybe someone with better training and experience could discuss a condition where people can do the things he is accused of doing, and not react when investigated and questioned on a polygraph?

I’m sorry. Polygraphs are a joke any person who meditates or can affect a calm demeanor can pass them. This guy joined the PD in the early late 60’s or 70’s. That was not a part of his hiring. Still isn’t for LE unless they’re going for FBI or Homeland.

I’ve been lurking since the news of an arrest broke.
IMO Perhaps he shop lifted these items because he did not want to be tied to yet another witness (cashier, sales clerk), someone who could get a clear view of his face/build/clothing, someone who is not under duress & as such might have a clearer memory of his features or easily recognize him from a line up?
Just my thoughts on it & MOO

That's part of what I meant when I said he didn't want the purchases on record. I didn't just mean credit cards, but also someone in the store remembering him if they were interviewed by LE.

Profiling was in it's infancy in the LATE 70s.

It’s still a fact that many LE believed and speculated the suspect was also LE and/or former military, even Navy.

??????????

I’m sorry. Polygraphs are a joke any person who meditates or can affect a calm demeanor can pass them. This guy joined the PD in the early late 60’s or 70’s. That was not a part of his hiring. Still isn’t for LE unless they’re going for FBI or Homeland.

It was a hiring requirement when I was considering becoming a police officer in SoCal after I got out of the military about 15 years ago.

It was a hiring requirement when I was considering becoming a police officer in SoCal after I got out of the military about 15 years ago.

They're a great LE tool, but they're a psychological tool not a scientific one. There is no such thing as a machine that can measure lies.

It was also a hiring requirement in the late-1970s. I knew people who went through the hiring process at a couple of California police departments at that time.

And went to other places.

The neighbor that grew up behind him stated this afternoon that he was, or seemed to be, a single father raising his daughters. I wouldn't be surprised if he just didn't have the time after he became a dad.

If so, those little girls saved a lot of other girls.

I do some DNA investigative research, in concert with family trees. I am strongly suspecting, if this rumor is correct, (not sure where it came from, I saw it on Reddit) that someone who took a consumer DNA test uploaded it to Gedmatch. (Not a testing service, a free website, only) LE saw a suspected familial match, and extrapolated the Family tree, to locate the unsub. The DNA project, who recently Id'd Buckskin Jane Doe, is using this very method, to to ID Does.

I wanna know where this guy was before 1976.

I want to know where he was after the last known crime that happened in 1986. And where did he work after being fired from the Auburn PD in 1979?

I do some DNA investigative research, in concert with family trees. I am strongly suspecting, if this rumor is correct, (not sure where it came from, I saw it on Reddit) that someone who took a consumer DNA test uploaded it to Gedmatch. (Not a testing service, a free website, only) LE saw a suspected familial match, and extrapolated the Family tree, to locate the unsub. The DNA project, who recently Id'd Buckskin Jane Doe, is using this very method, to to ID Does.

This is exactly what I think as well. There had to be soetihng linking them to him after so many years, to me some sort of familial match makes the most sense, especially given how popular these sites are right now. A friend recently did a 23andme DNA test and found out they had a sibling they did not know about(nor did their father know he had a child).

There was a sense of... something. Maybe sadness, maybe disappointment when the DA for a moment breathed hesitantly and then said “no”. That felt big to me.

An opinion I share. And as someone who has worked in the public sector, I can tell you nothing will light a fire under a DA/Sheriff/Chief of Police like publicity about a case. That's how "unlimited resources" get unlocked.

$50,000 for info leading to the arrest was pretty decent incentive.

"Discarded DNA" to me, means something he tossed away, like a coke can, cigarette butt, uneaten food...

Yea even if the Zodiac is long dead I am hoping the familial DNA advances might possibly narrow down his identity too! This guy would be too young to be Zodiac right? Too tall? just my 2 cents

Right, what I’m talking about is what initially led them to look at him 6 days ago...before they obtained his discarded sample. They mentioned in the press conference while speaking about the DNA that they had to rule out some other stuff after the tip 6 days ago. If they matched a family members DNA they would have to rule out other people to get to the right one that is a perfect DNA match.

All the renewed interest in the case got someone to crack. Just my opinion.

People are claiming this arrest came from a tip which they denied at the press conference. It's interesting we only see movement in this case after the guy from King of Queens goes on the news talking about it.

Thanks for the reply! I hadn’t followed this case so I didn’t know that. From what was said in the presser about the DNA a match through other family unknowingly through commercial testing is what came to mind. Amazing!

My guess he did! 100%
Moo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wonder if that's his wife sitting next to him?
Moo

I haven't been following this case. A friend of mine tells me that the rapist supposedly made phone calls to the victims and that they said he had a Mexican accent. Is that true?

This has been a long time coming, and I'm SO glad he's still alive to face the consequences. But, really, what's the worst that will happen to him? California only retains the death penalty as a plea bargaining chip. As punishment for 12 murders he'll live out his days watching TV and lounging around, 3 meals a day and full health coverage.

I'm sure the usual suspects are salivating over the chance to defend him in court.

They actually did confirm a tip at the press conference. It was the first DA who spoke but when she was speaking the second time. They started surveilling him 6 days ago after a tip and he was confirmed through discarded DNA.

Maybe he didn't stop, maybe he's part of some missing persons cases.
Seems once DNA because something is around when it stopped.
Maybe he started kidnapping his victims. Just a thought.

My Big Question: They did not have ANY idea about this suspect until 6 days ago, and I'm wondering: Do ALL law Enforcement collect DNA samples of their Force, and if not, why not?

Also, despite the officer saying that nothing in Michele's book led them to THIS man, it's clear that her book and ALL THE OTHER PUBLICITY, including possibly Websleuths, amped up the interest, the public curiosity and exposure and maybe even led to whatever it was that enabled them to zoom in on this man 6 days ago, before they took DNA from the discarded DNA piece.

I'm thinking it was the brilliant forensic drawing (sorry, forgot artist name, my apologies...someone fill in here---OK, found it: it was one of the Maggiore composites, and still not sure who drew it). I think LE looked at that photo and ran some kind of reverse photo ID program against their own former employees in the entire six-county area for those period of time he was active, then Bingo.

Wondering what kind of tip LE received that turned them on to this man?? I guess we will have to wait for the trial.

DeAndelo would've still been on the force when the town hall photo was taken. I wonder if he was there but on duty.......

I wonder if DeAngelo lurked here on Websleuths or was a member who posted in the threads?

During HLN coverage today, a neighbor of DeAngelo was interviewed by phone and mentioned that a daughter and granddaughter of DeAngelo’s recently moved in with him. Wondering if something was found by either of them that triggered a tip?

I doubt he completely stopped. It's likely his MO changed and they've yet to link him to other cases.

im willing to bet he started with peeping.

wow...what if off chance his wife did know about his crimes? It's possible. I hope we learn more soon.

so according to this, they received a tip, were doing surveillance and tested DNA they obtained. im guessing they raided his trash.

Quite possible. Or he got sneakier after he heard about DNA and started hiding the bodies - plenty of missing women in the area.

Interestingly, his daughters were born 1981, 1986 and 1989.
He was definitely most active pre-children. He married to his now ex-wife Sharon Marie Huddle in 1973.

If he’s 72 now, he would have been 40-ish in 1986. IMO, not to old to rape and murder, unless of course he ran into health issues or some sort of physical disability.

Michelle McNamara's book had nothing to do with his arrest?
BS
SHE PINNED HIM A NEW NAME!!!
& they repeatedly said
"GOLDEN STATE KILLER"
numerous times in the PC.
Michelle made people ask about the GSK!
She brought people back to the search!
Moo

Wow, this article also states that he's still an avid bike rider.

I know I've posted this twice already today, but geeeez, HE WAS FIRED AS A COP FOR SHOPLIFTING DOG REPELLANT AND A HAMMER. EAR/ONS task force members suspected the attacker could have police and/or military experience. Yet, at the press conference today, they said he was never "on their list"? My mind is kinda blown right now.

a hammer and dog repellent the combo is a HUGE red flag for me. Why did he shoplift it? that's really bizarre?

Since he was married in 1973....I wonder if his wife had any uncomfortable inklings about what he was doing. If he brought home driver's licenses and whatever else trophies, how did he hide them?

This experience had to have helped him get away with his crimes.

"Before being hired in Exeter, he interned with the Roseville Police Department, working in the patrol, identification and investigation divisions."

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/joseph-james-deangelo/

Who is the East Side Rapist?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209823959.html

DeAngelo graduated from Folsom High School in June 1964 before enlisting in the U.S. Navy and going to fight in Vietnam, according to newspaper clippings. After returning from the war, he earned an associate's degree in police science from Sierra College and a bachelor's degree in criminal justice with a focus on criminal law from Sacramento State. He then interned with the Roseville Police Department for a short period of time before moving south.

DeAngelo worked as a police officer in Exeter, a city about 10 miles from Visalia, from 1973 to 1976 [many homes ransacked, and a murder —- connected?]

officer with the Auburn Police Department from 1976, when he is believed to have committed his first rape, until his termination in 1979

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209823959.html#storylink=cpy

It's possible she served quite a few holiday dinners on that fancy Noritake china set!

We may never find Judy. We may never know who likely killed her. This story makes me sick to my stomach. Because this monster, like so many others, likely has other victims. Hidden in ditches. Buried. In oceans and rivers and swamps. Down deep ravines. The rage inside me is burning so hot right now. No one deserves to be murdered. No one.

I wonder what his childhood was like... The cause of divorce...who turned him in and how long they knew.

It sounds like the tip that came in was pretty recent. It will be interesting to learn more about who the tipster was and how they knew anything about him being the possible culprit. Maybe the sketch from the recent special on TV rang a bell with them.

I think once LE got the tip they monitored him and got his DNA likely from his trash without him knowing like someone else thought too.

"According to NBC Los Angeles, a tip from the public that came after increased attention on the case led to DeAngelo’s arrest."

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/joseph-james-deangelo/

He must be mortified knowing the entire world knows he's a serial killer with a super-small penis! Which was the common denominator that his victims shared about him with police.

Also, today is April 25th! Happy National DNA Day!

why would these items be related to the killer?
Kill kit tools for the trade.

Excellent question! The Wiki site for Golden State Killer says he may have made a "Counseling Service" call (January 6, 1978) stating he had been seeing counselors his whole life!

A volunteer for the Contact Counseling Service answered a call from a man who claimed to be the East Area Rapist

Caller: "No. I have been to counseling all my life. I was in Stockton State Hospital. I shouldn't tell you that. I guess I can trust you guys."

If it was him, he may have been locked up in the Stockton State loony bin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer

This is interesting....
Has it been revealed as to why he called the counseling service? Was he seeking help so he could stop hurting people? Or was he just looking to get it off his chest without getting arrested? A confession of sorts? MOO

Looking at the picture from the town hall meeting and comparing the wedding announcement pic.View attachment 133448
He did not marry the woman in the first picture. That was not his wife. The engagement was broken off and she married someone else. The first picture was "Bonnie". Also word was the the pictures are from the first meeting and the meeting where he guy stood up and said "how can a man let ear/ons rape his wife?" was not photographed.

Inmate Search
[FONT=&amp]Sacramento County Inmate Information[/FONT]
https://www.sacsheriff.com/inmate_information/SearchNames.aspx

Inmate NameDEANGELO, JOSEPH JAMES
X-Reference NumberX-46180
Booking/Registry Number10078005
Date of Birth11/8/1945
SexMale
Height5'11"
Weight205 lbs
.Visits used this week0 visits used this week. Main Jail Visitation Information
FacilitySacramento County Main Jail (Facility Information)
Housing Location2P17
Mailing AddressDEANGELO, JOSEPH X-46180 2P17
Sacramento County Main Jail
651 "I" Street
Sacramento, CA 95814Email this inmate

Booking Date/Time4/25/2018 at 2:29 AM
Arresting AgencySACRAMENTO COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT
Type of ArrestWarrant Arrest
Charges/Bail
Case # 18FE008017(02) - Warrant Arrest
PC 187(A) Felony
MURDER
Bail: No Bail
Total BailIneligible for Bail
Outstanding Warrants
VENTURA COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT (Case# 1161124)
Felony | Bail:No Bail
Projected Release DateNone Custody status change notification (SIRENS)
Next Court Date4/27/2018 at 1:30 PM.
CourtDepartment 61 (Courthouse Information)

He must be mortified knowing the entire world knows he's a serial killer with a super-small penis! Which was the common denominator that his victims shared about him with police.

Also, today is April 25th! Happy National DNA Day!

I had a great laugh this morning and enjoyed thinking what I would say to him, were I lucky enough to be the one questioning him today. LOL

I suspect that would have had him talking or, at the very least, showing his explosive outbursts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthialynn13