CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Working as a police officer gave him the perfect way to stalk women in a neighborhood without arousing suspicion, IMHO. Everyone is looking for a crazed stranger, not the friendly, protective neighborhood police officer just making his rounds. It was the perfect cover.

:cow:

I thought about this as well......he was probably patrolling neighborhoods, parking his car certain places & stalking victims, doing recon......does anyone know what shift he worked on as a cop?

I thought maybe he worked 2nd shift, did his stalking, etc.....then told his wife he had to work overtime/double shift certain nights & there he goes prowling around & committing crimes, then stroll in for breakfast in the morning, take a shower, go to sleep, wake up, rinse & repeat.

Or can you work as a cop on 3rd shift, & be outside of your car prowling w/o raising any flags back then?

they would plea you to petty theft. since this dude was a cop im betting he didn't want to take a plea.

CA had strict laws then. I’ve lived in CA last 45 yrs these days no way would you be arrested and go to trial for stealing a hammer and spray.

Anyone have a current LE contact working the Zodiac case? Would love to know if they have or will submit what they have to the geneology sites’ DNA base.

Thanks for posting the link. Not a huge surprise but nice to have confirmation.

I wonder how many retired or active serial killers are shaking in their boots, hoping no family member does an ancestry type DNA test.

moo
I don’t think there’s anyone in the country who doesn’t have a 3rd, 4th, 5th cousin match in a DNA database at this point. I hope to start seeing a lot of solved cold cases using this method. Adoptees and others have been doing this for years.

Did they get a full profile on Zodiac or only partial?

Partial. Don’t know the exact science of what’s doable with a partial. Lot of offenders on high alert with this news and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think youre right. I bet he had some type of contractor job. they say he retired from the save mart distribution center last year, where he worked for 27 years. that means he worked there since 1990. so, between 79-90 he worked somewhere else.

There's a pattern in terms of both time frame and geography.

Time frame: Most crimes occurred Mid-1976 through Dec. 1979, predominantly rapes, with the exception of the Maggiores. The killings occurred in the early 80s, but there were fewer of them. After May 4, 1986, he stopped altogether, as far as we know.

Geographically, he stays along 50 and then branches out into the 680 corridor in 1978 - San Ramon, Danville, Fremont, and into San Jose, with a couple in Modesto and Stockton, and then the 80s crimes are in Southern California.

I'm guessing that he worked in the East Bay Area for a time in 1978.

It's just incredible that he was able to get away with so many horrible crimes. But people then did not have burglar alarms and security cameras like many do today.

:cow:

Partial. Don’t know the exact science of what’s doable with a partial. Lot of offenders on high alert with this news and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last i heard was partial also but i think that partial came from the early 00's. Maybe they can get a little more these days with a fresh look

They knew about him in March. The chief investigator Paul Holes went to his house but didn’t knock on the door.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...-tracked-the-golden-state-killer-to-his-door/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...-tracked-the-golden-state-killer-to-his-door/
[FONT=&quot]SACRAMENTO — On March 29, as he prepared to turn in his gun and badge, longtime cold case investigator Paul Holes drove out to the Citrus Heights home of Joseph James DeAngelo, parked his car and sat outside.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Holes had been tracking the notorious “Golden State Killer” for nearly 20 years and it finally felt like authorities were closer than ever to solving the case. DeAngelo’s name was on a short list of viable suspects, and police in coming weeks police would surreptitiously recover DNA samples from him that would connect him to the most notorious unsolved murder and rape spree in California.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DeAngelo’s daughter’s car was there, Holes said, so he theorized the suspect was at home. He thought about walking up, knocking on the door, and going through a routine he’d done with countless men over his long career: apologizing for the intrusion, explaining their name had come up during the investigation, and asking for a DNA sample.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After some consideration, he drove home without leaving his car. Looking back, he said that decision could have saved his life. [/FONT]
[...]

This method is being call innovating. Doesn't seem like the law has quite caught up with the increasing popular genealogy websites and utilizing the DNA from family members to convict.
Without thinking to much into it, I'm all for it but boy oh boy I feel this will soon be a slippery slope of legal and supreme court decisions. On a cursory search this is all legal for now.

I read that Ancestry has a disclaimer that states they cooperate with LE. Also that they release data regarding the number of times they cooperate. Maybe I read that on this thread. The cool part is, you don't even need to alert the family that you're using their tree. Ancestry OWNS all the trees. When you leave, your tree material stays. So if they found a first cousin match or a sibling match, they could use many other means of elimination to track their guy. The relative is probably still clueless. I was just on there. Lots of his mother's family, with lots of information.

off topic but any time anyone links anything about rader, my computer cant open it. wtf.

Remember, BTK kept a little metal shed out back of the house that he kept locked. His daughter said no one was allowed in there. He told them it was his workshop, they always assumed he was back there working on carpentry, etc. projects. It's where he kept some tools he used in his crimes and the "souvenirs" he collected from his victims.

http://www.kansas.com/news/special-reports/btk/article1003734.html

I noticed DeAngelo also had a little shed in his back yard. He probably had some secret/private place where he kept some criminal tools over the years, in different homes he may have lived in. LE will find out.

I kind of wondered if he resorted to shoplifting for kicks, the same way he burglarized homes for years. He may have been doing it for years and it was just the first time he got caught.

I say gonna and im from CA.

Did LE ever release he was upset with someone name Bonnie?
That combined with "gonna kill you" narrowed down his identity greatly.
"Gonna" is how New Yorkers say " going to".
Hes originally from NY.

that was prior to any of these murders. mr. cruel was after.

hmmmmm. Australia?!

attachment.php
[FONT=&]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Save[/FONT]
[FONT="][B]Save[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT="]Save[/FONT]

I bet he was peeping, and pantie raiding before any of this, and other peculiarities about him as well. Things from his preadolescence, on.
Just the Excitement crave poem, and the time he mentioned his mother worrying about this guy.
Seems he liked messing with his mother, but not directly. I think he was much too afraid of her to confront her.
I have a feeling his hatred of women in particular stem from his mother. Bonnie throuh no faulf her own just triggered that hatred all the more,one more woman to humuliate him.
I wonder if he was punished by putting teacups on him, and making him stay still for long periods,as well as belittling, and riduculing him. Growing up. He could never measure up to her standards.
I think he was a budding seething sociopath well before Visalia even.

It's funny, I was talking to my husband about this case before her was arrested, about why he stopped. I said, well maybe he retired. As in, retired from a job, not retired from crime. If he was using his job as a cover for his late night activities, if he no longer had that job, he would not be able to explain being out at night. I think it would be very easy for a police officer to explain being out all night. Did the crime spree slow down right around the time he got fired?

He was fired in Oct ‘79 and on Dec 30 ‘79 is when most timelines have him changing from EAR to the ONS. Basically he began getting more violent after he was fired and almost exclusively killing.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209913609.html
'I just can't believe it.' Sister says East Area Rapist suspect never displayed 'madness'
[FONT=&amp]April 26, 2018 01:44 PM[/FONT]
[...]
"It's hard to believe," she said. "We're saddened and all kinds of things. We're sorry for the victims without any doubt. It's really hard to think about all the victims. The victims come to mind every time I think about it, of course."
[...]

I am thinking that the first time he broke in, they didn't know. he didn't ransack, becasuse he was planning to come back. if you didn't know your house was broken into, maybe you wouldn't be hypervigilant about checking whether a window lock was broken or a gun that you don't use often was unloaded.

Yeah, I definitely think GSK was unusual in that he was so thorough, even compared to other serial killers. That's why he got away with it for so long.

Here is what SUPPOSEDLY (not 100% confirmed *yet*) GSK would do to victims: GSK would pick a victim (most of them I believe were couples) and (*MAYBE*, no yet confirmed but possible it was while off-duty) while he was on-duty as a cop, he would 1) use his resources as a cop to get victims phone numbers and do "wrong number" calls. In addition, he would (maybe using a cop car with uniform on??? this is me speculating) stalk the house for many days, sometimes even hiding in bushes across the street, etc. These two things let him know when his victims went to work and came back home, how long they were usually away at the grocery store, etc etc.

Once he knew the times when his victims were away, he would break into the home when he knew no one was home. If he knew they had dogs, he would spray dog repellant all over himself and (AS FAR AS WE KNOW) no dog had ever attacked him or bothered him (there were at least two attacks where he brought another dog with him).

Once in the house, he would do different things depending on the situation. In some homes, he broke window or door locks so he could later easily sneak inside the home. Sometimes he would hunt for weapons, and he would steal them, hide them in a different place, or empty out all the bullets. Then he would leave.

Later, he would sneak back into the house (through one of the broken doors/window he did earlier), still with dog repellant on, and that's how he could "get away with it."

If I have anyone info outright wrong, please tell me! But this is so far what I have gathered how he committed his crimes.

Now, why people didn't do thorough searches of their weapons/locks/etc after their burglary, I don't know. Maybe they wrongly thought that they were still safe. I think some of them didn't even know they had a break-in (I don't think he stole anything during the first break-in). Or maybe they overlooked some details (ie didn't notice a window lock was broken because it looked normal from far away, etc).

I also don't know how soon after the first break-in, that he decided to go back for the full attack. I will have to look into it (does anybody know). Was it days later? Or was it like, an hour later??? (Because that would be a lot more understandable.)

hmmmmm. Australia?!

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Did all of his siblings have the last name DeAngelo? Why are his parents last names Bosanko?

Did all of his siblings have the last name DeAngelo? Why are his parents last names Bosanko?

Yes his siblings all had DeAngelo as their last name. Their mother Kathleen remarried to Jack (Percy) Bosanko in 1965 in Tulare, California. JJD father has the same name, JJD is the Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdogcatfish