CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance that the brother's DNA was in a database somewhere and showed up similar to the one they were looking for, causing them to hone in on relatives?

Nakkasac just posted a link on how they matched GSK DNA, & I posted the entire article.

I guess it could be possible the both of them have missing fingers??? 🤔

EAR/GSK wore gloves first off not to leave finger prints, & if he had a missing finger, that would be a big tell seeing a man with 4 fingers on his hand.

I have worked for a federal LE agency for many years. We currently utilize polygraphs as part of our hiring process. A good % fail at this stage. My hubby is a city firefighter. They utilize a polygraph.

Someone earlier in this thread stated LE agencies utilize DNA now during the hiring process, so they have it on file to eliminate scene contamination. Well, it's been many years since I've been hired, but I sure hadn't heard that requirement from any of our HR training/updates, or from the applicants. Maybe it happens at the medical exam, but if that's the case...there's lots of old timers that have never had their DNA added. We utilize fingerprints for hiring - for part of the background check AND scene contamination issues.

Re DNA and private testing, just saying...no one in our agency (at least local office) has ever submitted DNA to the private company's. Not so much that we have something to hide, but because we don't know how it's going to play out years from now, with LE search warrants for DNA from these companies, etc. Just something to think about.

Just my $.02
I was a Florida corrections officer and retired in 2014. They just fingerprinted new hires and DID NOT do any polygraph's or DNA testing.
It might have changed since 2014 but before that, just fingerprinting.

One thing I'm learning about this monster from the book "I'll Be Gone In the Dark" is that he also raided his victims' refrigerators and kitchens. At one crimescene backyard, LE found the carcass of a victim's Christmas turkey. Food strewn everywhere is a recurring theme. How ironic that he'd tell LE he wanted to cook and eat his pot roast.

I hope he gets the least amount and quality of food possible from this day forward.

I wonder what the heck that's all about. I cannot wait to read an FBI's profile on that.

Yeah, I definitely think GSK was unusual in that he was so thorough, even compared to other serial killers. That's why he got away with it for so long.

Here is what SUPPOSEDLY (not 100% confirmed *yet*) GSK would do to victims: GSK would pick a victim (most of them I believe were couples) and (*MAYBE*, no yet confirmed but possible it was while off-duty) while he was on-duty as a cop, he would 1) use his resources as a cop to get victims phone numbers and do "wrong number" calls. In addition, he would (maybe using a cop car with uniform on??? this is me speculating) stalk the house for many days, sometimes even hiding in bushes across the street, etc. These two things let him know when his victims went to work and came back home, how long they were usually away at the grocery store, etc etc.

Once he knew the times when his victims were away, he would break into the home when he knew no one was home. If he knew they had dogs, he would spray dog repellant all over himself and (AS FAR AS WE KNOW) no dog had ever attacked him or bothered him (there were at least two attacks where he brought another dog with him).

Once in the house, he would do different things depending on the situation. In some homes, he broke window or door locks so he could later easily sneak inside the home. Sometimes he would hunt for weapons, and he would steal them, hide them in a different place, or empty out all the bullets. Then he would leave.

Later, he would sneak back into the house (through one of the broken doors/window he did earlier), still with dog repellant on, and that's how he could "get away with it."

If I have anyone info outright wrong, please tell me! But this is so far what I have gathered how he committed his crimes.

Now, why people didn't do thorough searches of their weapons/locks/etc after their burglary, I don't know. Maybe they wrongly thought that they were still safe. I think some of them didn't even know they had a break-in (I don't think he stole anything during the first break-in). Or maybe they overlooked some details (ie didn't notice a window lock was broken because it looked normal from far away, etc).

I also don't know how soon after the first break-in, that he decided to go back for the full attack. I will have to look into it (does anybody know). Was it days later? Or was it like, an hour later??? (Because that would be a lot more understandable.)

Working as a police officer gave him the perfect way to stalk women in a neighborhood without arousing suspicion, IMHO. Everyone is looking for a crazed stranger, not the friendly, protective neighborhood police officer just making his rounds. It was the perfect cover.

:cow:

I was wondering if DNA testing might be the reason he stopped killing, as I haven't heard anyone give any reason for the psycho to stop. I agree with you, plus his age of 40.. He might have been slowing down a bit. At least 2 male witnesses have described nearly catching him in the latter years of his criminology.

Or started to cover his tracks and hiding the bodies. I hope they are looking into missing person cases to compare next.

Thanks for posting the link. Not a huge surprise but nice to have confirmation.

I wonder how many retired or active serial killers are shaking in their boots, hoping no family member does an ancestry type DNA test.

moo

Can you imagine being GSK.. I wonder if any of his family ever tried to get him to do a DNA test. For example, I was going to get one for my mom for mother's day. They'd be like, why doesn't grandpa like his gift? Lol

Thanks for posting the link. Not a huge surprise but nice to have confirmation.

I wonder how many retired or active serial killers are shaking in their boots, hoping no family member does an ancestry type DNA test.

moo

I think we’d all like to see this technology used to find them all, but the Zodiac killer has to be high on the list!

That's awesome. I think this just opened up a whole new world for investigations. Any chance they can figure out who the JonBenet Ramsey DNA was from?

This method is being call innovating. Doesn't seem like the law has quite caught up with the increasing popular genealogy websites and utilizing the DNA from family members to convict.
Without thinking to much into it, I'm all for it but boy oh boy I feel this will soon be a slippery slope of legal and supreme court decisions. On a cursory search this is all legal for now.

I want that partial Zodiac profile submitted to one of these sites this weekend!! Whoever it hits on...”Just curious if you had any family in Vallejo in the 60’s....”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we’d all like to see this technology used to find them all, but the Zodiac killer has to be high on the list!

Funny thing is, it's not new. It's been sitting there on Ancestry.com for years. Way before 23 & Me. The brilliant part is that someone realized how the tool could be used. God, I hope they start pumping all kinds of cold case dna in there now. The relative doesn't even have to know their family tree has been used. The research is all done by information willingly given up by informants! I know. I helped my friend find her birth parents this way. She matched up with first cousins, and from there it was simple.

idk whether its been verified he ever used a hammer in any of his crimes... but maybe he was planning to, and since he got caught this time, never did because of it.

Re: stealing vs. buying

He got caught stealing and lost his job.
Had he bought them and then used them in a crime, he may have been exposed and been in prison all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1