CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelle McNamara talked about having his DNA submitted to the genealogy websites (Ancestry.com & 23 and me). They did find a partial match that went back many generations on his father's side, but too far back to track him down with certainty. It was mentioned his family line had German and British roots. This leads me to believe the relative recently submitted the profile to one of these sites and it triggered a match in their system that was probably red flagged.

I hope this will hold up in court. Glad they caught him but that’s scary Big Brother stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope this will hold up in court. Glad they caught him but that’s scary Big Brother stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, it is a little big brother. People are voluntarily doing this though. I don't know that they violated the killer's rights. This is degree of separation from him. They used whatever site they used to get an idea of his family tree. This didn't pinpoint him exactly but gave them a place to start. The DNA match they used to tie him to the crime was taken legally by the discarded DNA sample.

Did they have a court order to search the databases? I don't know. Did they create a fake name and profile to search? I don't know. If they did is that illegal? I don't think the laws have caught up on this yet. Even if they violated the private company policy, that isn't illegal.

I do think that after this case there probably will end up being a lot of discussion on access to these commercial sites by LE when searching for people like this.

Most of these sites seem to have disclaimers saying if they have a court order then they'll have to comply. There are also third party search sites. I am so curious to know what tool they used. Ancestry and 23andme said they didn't get any request from LE.

I would be curious to know what took him the the central coast and Southern CA for the later killings? He was methodical in selecting victims, and it appeared that he "stalked" and researched them before attacking, including possibly having a dog with him for the Santa Barbara killings.

How was he able to justify being away from home so much to plan his attacks and what took him to So Cal when he lived in No. Cal?

I am so curious what brought him to SoCal. And it seems his home was still in Sacramento but he spent a good amount of time in SoCal. Why? Did he get a temporary job down there? Maybe stayed with relatives for a bit following losing his job? I hope to learn more about that part as the investigators share more of what they learn.

Ancestry.com and 23 and Me deny assisting LE with the East Area Rapist Case

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...ing-law-enforcement-in-east-area-rapist-case/

This makes me wonder if GEDmatch provided LE access to their database. GEDmatch is a free site with some pay features and it has a lot of users. Many of the features are free, so many who have uploaded their DNA into GEDmatch are not paid subscribers.

A few years ago, I uploaded my DNA into GEDmatch and was assigned a kit number. I recently tried to delete my DNA from GEDmatch, but only my kit number was deleted and I discovered that GEDmatch will forever have my raw dna.

There are many people who have posted their family trees to GEDmatch as well and it appears LE used family trees as they looked into DeAngelo. My experience is that there are people from all over the world who use GEDmatch, and with Ancestry, my experience has been that it is mostly people from the USA.

I'm a paid subscriber of Ancestry.com and from an income stream standpoint, they have paid subscribers and they sell dna kits. My understanding is that Ancestry.com is also owned by the LDS church. GEDmatch is kind of a mystery. It is said that two men own it and use their own money to operate it and they also use volunteers to help run the site. It's interesting, but they have a huge DNA database and it comes from people who have had their DNA tested by other companies, and who want to get more detail than the other companies provide..

I agree, it is a little big brother. People are voluntarily doing this though. I don't know that they violated the killer's rights. This is degree of separation from him. They used whatever site they used to get an idea of his family tree. This didn't pinpoint him exactly but gave them a place to start. The DNA match they used to tie him to the crime was taken legally by the discarded DNA sample.

Did they have a court order to search the databases? I don't know. Did they create a fake name and profile to search? I don't know. If they did is that illegal? I don't think the laws have caught up on this yet. Even if they violated the private company policy, that isn't illegal.

I do think that after this case there probably will end up being a lot of discussion on access to these commercial sites by LE when searching for people like this.

Most of these sites seem to have disclaimers saying if they have a court order then they'll have to comply. There are also third party search sites. I am so curious to know what tool they used. Ancestry and 23andme said they didn't get any request from LE.

This is going to open up a huge can of worms for those types of sites.

Because I can guarantee they are afraid of losing business because the first thing I thought about when I heard the news was I was never ever going to use a site like that even if I have a desire to know my family history.

http://fox40.com/2018/04/26/family-coworkers-in-shock-following-joseph-deangelos-arrest/
CITRUS HEIGHTS -- Disbelief. In a word, that’s the reaction from the family of Joseph DeAngelo to his arrest.

His sister, Becky Thomson of Exeter, told FOX40 over the phone, "I can’t get my head around it."
For 27 years he was a mechanic for Save Mart grocery stores at their Roseville Distribution Center. People who worked alongside him shared his family’s reaction to his arrest.

https://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/s...-ransacker-voices-sympathy-victims/556674002/
Her voice quivered as she opened the door to speak and make eye contact.

“We are very sympathetic to the victims and their families,” she said as tears ran down her face.

Thompson met with her pastor Thursday evening, trying to find comfort and answers.

She may be left in the dark, along with many others who want to know what led the man to a life of crime. Some of DeAngelo's family still lives in Exeter.

Because I can guarantee they are afraid of losing business because the first thing I thought about when I heard the news was I was never ever going to use a site like that even if I have a desire to know my family history.

I wonder if they're lying about not working with LE.......Facebook has been supposedly lying for years, as have other big information companies about what they do with your info.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article209950344.html
IS THAT LEGAL?

Ancestry.com and 23andMe, two of the largest companies that produce genetic profiles for customers who provide DNA samples, say they don't cooperate with law enforcement unless they receive a court order.

Both said Thursday they did not receive a court order in the DeAngelo case and were not otherwise involved.

Ancestry.com has said it hasn't received any such requests for genetic information in the last three years.

A 23andMe spokesman said the company "has never given customer information to law enforcement officials" and that their platform doesn't allow for the comparison of genetic data that was processed by any third party.
In 2008, California became the first state in the country to authorize the testing. It since has been used in at least eight other states.

Looks like a band-aid to me?

Saw this mug shot late last night - gave me the heebie-jeebies
probably a Band-Aid.. looks like maybe a light blood stain on his right shoulder? like the shirt has been rinsed out

I am so curious what brought him to SoCal. And it seems his home was still in Sacramento but he spent a good amount of time in SoCal. Why? Did he get a temporary job down there? Maybe stayed with relatives for a bit following losing his job? I hope to learn more about that part as the investigators share more of what they learn.

Maybe he got into a huge fight with his wife over him getting fired from his cop job after getting caught with a can of dog repellent & a hammer down his pants.

Being this guys wife had to be chaotic.....she probably said to him, WTF were you doing with a hammer & dog repellent in your pants while trying to run out the back of the store & you're a cop you dumb *advertiser censored*!

I could see her losing her mind just over that........maybe he went down south for a vacation to get away & get his head on straight........except he had other things on his mind.

Getting fired had him losing his job of feeling "powerful", & using the cop job as a cover for his hobby of rape & pillaging. Now that he lost his cover, it really pisses him off & although I felt he was evolving into murder possibly, the firing flipped the switch into murder, killing people to get back at everyone in his life that caused him pain.

i didn’t send in my kit after my friend asked me ‘what if an insurance company uses the info”.

What an absolute Monster.
These poor victims.

This one Monster destroyed hundreds or more, people's lives.

I hope he suffers every single hour of the rest of his life.

I hope he never eats a good meal ever again.

I hope the rest of his **** life is filled with fear and hatred. Just like what he inflicted on innocent people who never did a damn thing to him.

I'll stop with that.

(O/T, I recall posting in another case about a confirmed link between a DNA ancestry type company and a criminal case...so I know it DOES happen, moo...will see if I can find it, fwiw...it was a female doctor/analyst who worked for the company who also assisted LE, iirc...)

Amazing news btw. Just getting caught up. Between this and Bill Cosby's guilty verdict...fantastic!

(Eta: Talk about one of the most vicious and brazen killers ever!)

(Eta: upon a quick Google search I found this as an example, not the case I'm thinking of specifically though:

Man became suspect in murder and rape case after DNA his father donated to Mormon genetic research was sold to Ancestry.com and then tested by police
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...investigators-seek-private-DNA-databases.html )

Agreed. He looks well into his 80s imo. I doubt he's been living stress free. Hopefully he's had many, many sleepless nights over the past couple decades! And he's about to get many more!
Looks like an alcoholic.

Look up GEDMatch and GEDGenesis. They probably used those.

I'm inclined to think there are some individuals who enter a profession for their own personal sick reasons. Such as GR's father's coworkers at the morgue. Or pedophiles who "specialize" in teaching, youth activities, etc. Or JJD, becoming a policeman in order to commit all sorts of crimes.

It's mind boggling to say the very least.

Yes very mind bogling.

Anyone else besides me who thinks this monster should be castrated, even if he is a "former" serial rapist?

NO! He is widely-known to have an embarassing micro-penis, he should continue to live with that shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper