CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
spree killer is someone who kills two or more victims in a short time in multiple locations. ...without a cooling-off period; the lack of a cooling-off period marking the difference between a spree killer and a Serial killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Mass murder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are defined by one incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders.[2] How to distinguish a spree killer from a mass murderer, or from a serial killer is subject to considerable controversy, and the term is not consistently applied, even within the academic literature.

Spree killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great. So long as all the killing of 3 or more are called "spree" killings. They're not. There's a reason. jmo

The FBI defines mass murder at least 4 people killed.

Generally, mass murder was described as a number of murders (four or more) occurring during the same incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders. These events typically involved a single location, where the killer murdered a number of victims in an ongoing incident (e.g. the 1984 San Ysidro McDonalds incident in San Diego, California; the 1991 Luby’s Restaurant massacre in Killeen, Texas; and the 2007 Virginia Tech murders in Blacksburg, Virginia).

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#two

Elliot Rodger: A Psychotic Psychopath?
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/keeping-kids-safe/201405/elliot-rodger-psychotic-psychopath

In the wake of every mass shooting people ask, “what kind of person could do such a thing?” On the one hand, there is no profile of school shooters—they are too diverse to be captured by a single conceptualization. On the other hand, they do tend to fall into one of three categories. In my book, Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters, I categorized ten perpetrators as either psychopathic, psychotic, or traumatized. In my forthcoming book (tentatively titled School Shooters: 48 High School, College, and Adult Perpetrators), most of the shooters fit in one of the three types, but five exhibited both psychotic and psychopathic traits.

Elliot Rodger appears to also have had aspects of both types. One way of understanding him is to compare him to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Like Harris, Rodger was narcissistic. He wrote repeatedly about being “destined for greatness” and stated, “I am the ideal, magnificent gentleman.” Along with his narcissism, he was remarkably entitled. He believed that women owed him love and sex and when he was denied satisfaction, he called it an “injustice” and a “crime.” In his 137-page autobiography, he wrote about their “crime of not giving me the attention and adoration I so rightfully deserve!”

Not only was Rodger easily enraged when his desires were thwarted, but he was an “injustice collector,” someone who went through life accumulating a sense of outrage about all the wrongs he had suffered. Harris, too, held grudges and wrote about never letting anyway who had wronged him get away with it. Rodger expressed the same idea; writing about his outrage that another male was successful with women, Rodger wrote, “I will never forget it, nor will I forgive it.” In terms of personality traits, collecting injustices is masochistic—an obsessive preoccupation with one’s suffering, holding onto and exaggerating one’s pain.

Dr. Peter Langman views Elliot Rodger as a psychotic psychopath and is similar to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

I am also very aware of what happens when LE shows up for a well-being check. I have also been on the receiving end of a take down. :blushing:
I am going to be very careful wiht you then , I was on the other end !

Way more than one and LE don't count unless it's random. jmo
Sadly I agree with you - its lineof duty does not make it better but in terms of victimazation like stuff - there is an awareness when they leave in the AM--you know what I mean

tragic just different IE fireman getting burned etc......doc getting blood on him etc

The FBI defines mass murder at least 4 people killed.

Generally, mass murder was described as a number of murders (four or more) occurring during the same incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders. These events typically involved a single location, where the killer murdered a number of victims in an ongoing incident (e.g. the 1984 San Ysidro McDonalds incident in San Diego, California; the 1991 Luby’s Restaurant massacre in Killeen, Texas; and the 2007 Virginia Tech murders in Blacksburg, Virginia).

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#two

Yes. And more importantly, the police taken down in connection with taking the perpetrator into custody are not counted among the murders as the intent is, usually, completely different. By way of gruesome example, if someone kills a family, makes a welfare call and greets LE at the door with gun fire, that's completely different than what happened here. Still maybe not a spree, but closer than this. Not sure why the word "spree" is important to describe something that clearly is not. jmo

Yes. And more importantly, the police taken down in connection with taking the perpetrator into custody are not counted among the murders as the intent is, usually, completely different. By way of gruesome example, if someone kills a family, makes a welfare call and greets LE at the door with gun fire, that's completely different than what happened here. Still maybe not a spree, but closer than this. Not sure why the word "spree" is important to describe something that clearly is not. jmo

Who says that police are not counted among the murders? Motivation is not important. Spree killer is someone who kills more than one person at more than one location in a short time.

"...U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics definition of the classification as one who performs “killings at two or more locations with almost no time break between murders.”
http://www.independentmail.com/news/2006/dec/17/no-evidence-spree-killer-yet-police-say/

They don't count as killing "spree" victims since there's a reason apart from the initial crime that they're killed. I thought that was obvious.

I don't know where you got this idea, but it's not true at all. This killing is called a spree killing by msm. So I don't understand why you keep on arguing otherwise.

"Shooting Spree Kills 3, Including Officer and Teen on His Way Home From Graduation."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-s...fficer-teen-home-graduation/story?id=23944105

Personally, I think the term "spree" has been used (perhaps carelessly) by msm to depict a carefree and gleeful attitude on the killer's part. Not necessarily to be inferred exactly as it is defined, kwim? "Spree" sounds fun, shopping sprees and the like. Jmo.

Another observation from a doctor. It's interesting how they're so different!

The obsessively detailed self-published account of his life inevitably raises questions of how much was real and how much was hopelessly distorted by the filter of illness. Still, its writing is clear and precise. “It has none of the raving quality that you see in the writing of people with psychosis,” such as Jared L. Loughner, who opened fire on Representative Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona in 2011, said Dr. Michael Stone, a New York forensic psychiatrist who looked at the manuscript but has no connection to the family.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/0...lowed-years-of-withdrawal.html?_r=0&referrer=

Personally, I think the term "spree" has been used (perhaps carelessly) by msm to depict a carefree and gleeful attitude on the killer's part. Not necessarily to be inferred exactly as it is defined, kwim? "Spree" sounds fun, shopping sprees and the like. Jmo.

Me too. It's a word to grab your attention. When someone is driving and they drive to their home/residence that's not a spree to me. Don't trust the journalist, jmo idk

I almost feel like doing a poll or something, but I'm trying to figure out how much ER wrote in his bio is TRUE, how much is TRUE-ISH (happened, but not exactly the way it seemed to him), and how much is a COMPLETE FABRICATION.

Two occurances really have me wondering....throwing a latte on 2 women at a bus stop, and spraying college men and women with a Super Soaker full of orange juice.

I can imagine the latte thing happening MAYBE, but for him to actually drive to the store, purchase a water gun, purchase orange juice, fill the gun, drive back to the park and spray a group of people that included men who could most likely beat his a$$....I am just not seeing it.

I almost feel like doing a poll or something, but I'm trying to figure out how much ER wrote in his bio is TRUE, how much is TRUE-ISH (happened, but not exactly the way it seemed to him), and how much is a COMPLETE FABRICATION.

Two occurances really have me wondering....throwing a latte on 2 women at a bus stop, and spraying college men and women with a Super Soaker full of orange juice.

I can imagine the latte thing happening MAYBE, but for him to actually drive to the store, purchase a water gun, purchase orange juice, fill the gun, drive back to the park and spray a group of people that included men who could most likely beat his a$$....I am just not seeing it.

I am right there with you, but then I think about him pushing/trying to push people off a balcony/deck and I think, well maybe.

I am right there with you, but then I think about him pushing/trying to push people off a balcony/deck and I think, well maybe.

Right! Didn't he say he was drunk when he did that? Drank for courage to go to the party if I remember correctly. Maybe he drank more than he let on.

There were causes and effect in this case. I fully believe this tragedy was preventable! JMVHO

Exploring the causes does not necessarily mean placing blame when the effort is to understand
how this young man arrived at the point of killing others and himself. And, when the effort results
in using that knowledge to alter the course of the next ER. JMO

If we can't explore those causes, and not all will be available to the public, we will continue on the
merry-go-round of "why?". JMO

ETA: And, then we'll all be back here for the next one asking "why?".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CalamityGirl
Back