CA - Emma Barker, 18 mos, suffocated, Lancaster, 18 March 2009 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a thought. Maybe Emma was eating something and started choking when her mother was in another room and died as a result of that? The mom thinking she would be blamed for lack of supervison..

Chicogirl, did you see any coverage about Emma's funeral service?

I posted the obit for her a little ways up on the thread.

I just can't believe I can't find any articles on it.

Here's an article I just found.

http://www.avpress.com/n/25/0325_s1.hts

Baby Emma laid to final rest
Coroner's work not finished, cause of death undetermined
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press
Wednesday, March 25, 2009.
By DAISY RATZLAFF
Valley Press Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LANCASTER - Family and friends will forever remember Emma Leigh Barker as "a princess and a little girl who always had a smile on her face."
On Tuesday, hundreds of friends and family and a scattered crowd of local residents gathered at the Joshua Memorial Park & Mortuary to say their final goodbyes to 18-month-old Emma, who was found dead in Sylmar off Interstate 5 on Thursday by law enforcement officials.

Bedded in a white plush coffin, people paid their last tribute to the little girl in the chapel. Many family members also wore a yellow-beaded ribbon with a red ladybug on their clothes in a show of affection and respect.

I just do not understand this case. Either it was an accident and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for how Emma died (although I can't think of anything believable to explain dumping her like trash) - in which case, why is it such a big secret???

OR she killed Emma and everyone knows it and they just haven't arrested her yet so they have time to make sure their case is airtight.

I doubt her parents and family and friends are oblivious, so they have probably figured this out as well. I cannot imagine sitting next to the murderer at my grandchild or niece's funeral. I would have to restrain myself from throwing them in the grave just before the coffin was lowered.

What a mess. Poor Emma!

Here's an article I just found.

http://www.avpress.com/n/25/0325_s1.hts

Baby Emma laid to final rest
Coroner's work not finished, cause of death undetermined
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press
Wednesday, March 25, 2009.
By DAISY RATZLAFF
Valley Press Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LANCASTER - Family and friends will forever remember Emma Leigh Barker as "a princess and a little girl who always had a smile on her face."
On Tuesday, hundreds of friends and family and a scattered crowd of local residents gathered at the Joshua Memorial Park & Mortuary to say their final goodbyes to 18-month-old Emma, who was found dead in Sylmar off Interstate 5 on Thursday by law enforcement officials.

Bedded in a white plush coffin, people paid their last tribute to the little girl in the chapel. Many family members also wore a yellow-beaded ribbon with a red ladybug on their clothes in a show of affection and respect.

Thank you so much for finding that Oceanbreeze!

I cannot get this case off of my mind! I haven't felt this obsessed since Caylee.

Does anyone here know if that's normal to release the body before COD has been determined? I'm glad they did, so she could be laid to rest, I am just suprised.

I just had a thought. Maybe Emma was eating something and started choking when her mother was in another room and died as a result of that? The mom thinking she would be blamed for lack of supervison..

I can see that. That, or if it was related to a drug overdose, like maybe Emma got into some OTC medicine. That could happen from lack of supervision as well.

Thank you so much for finding that Oceanbreeze!

I cannot get this case off of my mind! I haven't felt this obsessed since Caylee.

Does anyone here know if that's normal to release the body before COD has been determined? I'm glad they did, so she could be laid to rest, I am just suprised.

You pointed out something very important Lovejac. The Coroner might not release the body until COD and MOD were identified.

Even if listed as unknown, it's still an identification of COD and MOD.

But the articles say they have tests pending. Doesn't make sense :waitasec:

I looked up the LA County Coroner website and they do not detail what the criteria is for the release of a body.

Would they release if the COD was pending?

You pointed out something very important Lovejac. The Coroner might not release the body until COD and MOD were identified.

I looked up the LA County Coroner website and they do not detail what the criteria is for the release of a body.

The only other case I've followed is Caylee.

See, this is my frustration about coverage, why isn't the media asking these questions????????????

O/T but the LA Coroner's office has a gift shop.

http://lacstores.co.la.ca.us/

I have visited the LA County Coroner's office gift shop, and it is really pretty cool! I got a coffee cup, some t-shirts, and my favorite - a beach towel with the outline of a body drawn on it, and the words Los Angelos County CORONERS OFFICE written up the side of it! I have always gotten numerous comments about this towel at the beach! I believe they use the funds to help with some community crime prevention projects. You can order on-line, but if you are ever in LA, it is worth a trip.

If Emma choked, wouldn't there be physical signs of that? I've heard when people are strangled that the blood vessels in their eyes burst. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

The only cause of death that I can think of that wouldn't cause any physical marks are suffocation (and how could that be accidental?) or she gave her something OTC, maybe too much and it caused her death.

When has an innocent person ever taken their lifeless baby, driven off with it and thrown it into a field -- ever? This story makes no sense except as a desperate cover-up. Innocent people just don't do that, even if they are so selfish as to think of themselves first when their child suddenly dies. But people who have killed claim this scenario all the time -- "He/she died, and I was afraid I'd get blamed." It never turns out to be true!

They will release the body with cause of death undetermined. They have taken photos of the body, taken tissue samples, hair samples, etc.... They are most likely waiting for a toxicology report. They already stated that the body has no signs of trauma, so they aren't going to be trying to match a weapon to to the wound or anything of that sort. They try to release the body for burial as soon as they have all the data they need.

It will be interesting to see what her story was. I am assuming the indications they can see in the eyes if someone is strangled or suffocated were not there. If they were I would think they would have arrested her by now. If she wasn't suffocated, or died from an injury, or drowning what is left besides poisoning/overdosing? And she can't think for a second that they aren't going to test for that. What were all the people that attended the funeral told the circumstances were? And if your child died unexpectedly and you are so emotionally unstable that you chuck the body, strip, and injure yourself..... why isn't she in a hospital under psychiatric evaluation?

When has an innocent person ever taken their lifeless baby, driven off with it and thrown it into a field -- ever? This story makes no sense except as a desperate cover-up. Innocent people just don't do that, even if they are so selfish as to think of themselves first when their child suddenly dies. But people who have killed claim this scenario all the time -- "He/she died, and I was afraid I'd get blamed." It never turns out to be true!

When does a loving mother throw her little girl out of the car onto the side of the road like a piece of garbage...or in the woods like a piece of trash??? I'm not buying this accident story. I just can't see not calling 911 if I'm innocent of doing anything wrong and especially to get help for my baby. And I would never have thrown any of my babies out like a piece to trash. I can't even comprehend anyone doing that when most of us would give our very lives for our children. I can't stand to even think of doing something like that. And then making up some big lie to cover my own butt while my baby lays out there alone.

The evening news just got done and not one word about Emma or the funeral. I live 15 miles away, so we are on the same channel frequencies-

Where is any justice for Emma? It makes me sick to hear that Stacey got to go to the funeral. I feel that there enough smaller charges that she needs to be accountable for also: OOJ for lying about her story, false report, false amber alert (felony in CA), plus Im sure there are MANY more that you all can think of- My brain is dead now- ;)

They will release the body with cause of death undetermined. They have taken photos of the body, taken tissue samples, hair samples, etc.... They are most likely waiting for a toxicology report. They already stated that the body has no signs of trauma, so they aren't going to be trying to match a weapon to to the wound or anything of that sort. They try to release the body for burial as soon as they have all the data they need.

It will be interesting to see what her story was. I am assuming the indications they can see in the eyes if someone is strangled or suffocated were not there. If they were I would think they would have arrested her by now. If she wasn't suffocated, or died from an injury, or drowning what is left besides poisoning/overdosing? And she can't think for a second that they aren't going to test for that. What were all the people that attended the funeral told the circumstances were? And if your child died unexpectedly and you are so emotionally unstable that you chuck the body, strip, and injure yourself..... why isn't she in a hospital under psychiatric evaluation?

Thank you for explaining that about releasing the body.

I am also even madder that she is free. Especially after LE has arrested a mother in Texas for leaving her 7 month old in a car all night!! She herself called the police and didn't toss him into some tall grass along a freeway!!!

Just rumored but I live locally and a lot that is being said makes one wonder if it was actually a accident. Gossip in a salon yesterday leads me to believe that this is another Casey Anthony type. Boyfriend not into children right now and grandparents practically raising the baby.
Also just rumored was the mother allegedly told sherrifs officers she was driving and gave the baby a sandwich and didn't realize it had a plastic bag around it and she choked on it. Ok yah, right. Just rumors folks!

MOO- If I base my opinion on "rumors" then things sound a little premeditated. Then I place myself in a situation of a child choking and I can't imagine myself not trying to stop every car on the freeway to get help, much less not trying to call 911 as soon as I realize something is wrong with my baby... I cant imagine just going ok your dead.. got to get rid of you. Until someone officially told me my child was deceased or there was nothing that could be done I would be frantic to try to save her.. that alone leads me to believe there there's more to her story.
I am also disappointed in the local coverage of this story... guess it's just another day in LA County to some folks.
Oh also "rumored" is that the mother was "released" to her parents! Now I don't know what EXACTLY that means other then rumored that she is to be with one of the parents and stay in their home at all times.
Once again just the local buzz in a salon take it for what it is worth.

I wondered about who was actually raising the baby. So, rumour has it it is the grandparents were taking care of Emma - did Stacey live with them too?

I can't imagine a lot of things people do. I can't imagine having an 18month old baby and meeting some guy who didn't like kids and not telling him to get lost. I can't imagine not putting my child as number one over any man especially if he is like the 'man' she hooked. I'm sorry but I think the guy seems like a real *advertiser censored* who isn't real bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro