Found Safe CA - Eric Desplinter, 33, & Gabrielle Wallace, 31, hikers, Mt. Baldy, San Bernardino Co., 6 Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hampered by High Winds, Crews Conduct Flyover Search for Missing Hikers in Mt. Baldy

“‘The winds gusts are too strong for the helicopters to insert the search teams, but will be conducting fly over search efforts throughout the day,’ the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department tweeted.

Rescuers from L.A., Orange and San Diego counties as well as two K-9 teams are assisting San Bernardino county crew members. They’re focusing on Cucamonga Peak, Kelly Camp and Cucamonga Canyon, where two teams will be staying overnight.”

The article also states that they have hiked in the area before: “Desplinter is an experienced hiker, and both he and Wallace have previously hiked different areas of Mt. Baldy, officials said.”

I am really hoping somehow they are okay and found soon.

The search for missing hikers in Mt. Baldy continues with five search teams & K9's deployed from SBSD - Headquarters : Nixle

The search for missing hikers in Mt. Baldy continues with five search teams & K9's deployed

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 -
The search continues with five search teams deployed( 3 members on each team). Four of the teams are Alpine Search teams.

The search teams include members from San Bernardino Co, Kern Co., Orange Co., Los Angeles Co. and San Diego Co.

The winds gusts were too strong for the helicopters to insert the search teams, but will be conducting aerial searches throughout the day.

The areas of focus are: Cucamonga Peak, Cucamonga Canyon and Kellys Camp

Two of the teams are staying overnight in the Cucamonga Canyon & Cucamonga Peak areas.

Two K9 search teams are assisting with the search.

Earlier reports stated Eric Desplinter and Gabrielle Wallace had not hiked Mt. Baldy before. That information is incorrect and we have learned that both Eric & Gabrielle have previously hiked different areas of Mt. Baldy.

Updates will be issued as new information becomes available.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Sheriff's dispatch at (909)387-8313.

San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department

A friend who knew them posted her and said they were appropriately equipped but what they were wearing has NOT been verified by LE or MSM.

I noticed in the updated photos that were posted, Gabrielle Wallace was depicted in what looks like an outdoor store (?REI?) wearing jeans and a grey top / sweater and had a backpack on as if she were trying it on.

I wonder if someone mistook that for her actually being photographed the day on the trail?

I've been following this case since I first heard about it on Saturday. I live local to this range and hike or backpack it roughly 3-4 times a month. I was actually hiking Icehouse canyon the day they went missing. I've summited Cucamonga Peak 6 times. 3 with others, 3 solo. Twice in snow/ice conditions. I think I can offer quite a bit of information here that might help paint a better picture for those who are either not familiar with the area or the kind of hiking experience and skill set one should have.

Trail Head Start: Ice House Canyon
Ice House Saddle: +3.6 miles, this is where the trail splits 4 ways. One being a route to Cucamonga Peak.
Cucamonga Peak from Icehouse Saddle: 2.4+ miles, rounding Bighorn Peak on the way...along this path reach a saddle between Bighorn and Cucamonga and the begining of the 13-14 switchbacks (depends on how you define switchback) up Cucamonga.

While the trail has been challenging up to this point...the true challenge begins with Cucamonga itself. The hike overall gains over 4,000' but it's not all up...you lose elevation between Icehouse Saddle and Cucamonga/Bighorn Saddle, causing you to have to climb back up. This is a single track hike for the most part in the height of summer, throw in this year's winter conditions and it's a single track hike the entire route.

Equipment I carry for current conditions and why:
Mountaineering Boots
: Only boots that crampons work with
Crampons: Designed for ice climbing, large Spikes that can be used for climbing sever or vertical grades, Not felxible..."Cramp On" to boots
Micro Spikes: For walking on ice that is not on a steep grade, made of chain and mini spike attached to rubber to stretch over boots, flexible, break easy
Zip Ties: to repair broken micro spikes...I've done this it happens
Helmet: Because we all love our brain inside our skull
Ice Ax: Use like a hiking pole, used to cut steps, used to self arrest on a slide down a mountain. Note: self arrest should be practiced and mastered well before your first summit.
Goggles/Glasses: To protect your eyes from cold and wind primarily on a hike like this. Winds on this range can reach above 60 MPH
Hiking Poles: This hike is not all covered in ice and snow, they would have been free of ice the first 3.6 miles. On the way back down poles will save your knees a whole lot of hurt.
Gorilla Tape: Because it can fix just about anything.
Garmin Spot (Or some kind of Garmin): Emergency Beacon that sends a call for help to local emergency services via satellite
Wilderness 1st aide kit: too much too list here
Emergency Shelter: I carry a tarp that is lined on one side with reflective material to contain heat. I can set up a makeshift tent or use it like a blanket.
Clothing: Base Layer, Mid Layer, Top Layer, Shell (All should be quick dry material), Beanie, Balaclava, water proof gloves, thermal leggings, snow pants.
Extra Clothing: I carry an extra base layer, mid layer, and socks.
Food: I carry enough food for 3 days (it's a lot less than you'd think), I also carry electrolyte tablets to drop in my water or even chew if I start to cramp out.
Hand Warmers: Can help prevent frost bite.
Water: For this particular hike I carry 2 liters of water as there are some potable springs where you can refill.
Map and compass: Map of area and ability to orient with compass

Depending on my mood I may or may not take a pocket rocket and fuel to drink hot cocoa at the top.

6 Pack of Peak Challenge
I've completed this challenge 4 years a in a row, hiking each mountain mutiple times in a year.
While Cucamonga is the original 2nd highest mountain listed, elevation does not = difficulty.
I often recommend hikers summit Baldy 1st at the terrain is just easier. Not less dangerous...they each pose their own unique dangers...just less rugged.
Ice chutes are a mjaor danger in the Icehouse Canyon Mountains. Cucamonga, Ontario, BigHorn, Hardwood, Baldy, Timber, Thunder, all have steep and sharp drop offs that in winter time catch the snow and eventually become iced over.
March reports from the Avalanche center warned that taking a slide down this range at then ice conditions posed a strong inability to self arrest even with an ice ax, regardless of experience level. Strongly discouraged attempts to summit.

Mt. Baldy has been mentioned a lot by news reports in reference to whether or not either of them have climbed it before. It should be noted that while it's a 10 min drive from Icehouse trailhead to the Baldy trailhead...it's over 12miles on foot from ice house saddle to Mt baldy and in the OPPOSITE direction of Cucamonga Peak.
Conditions change with elevation and direction you are heading. I feel it's misleading for the new to keep mentioning Mt. Baldy. I assure you, no one is looking for them on Mt. Blady. Two VERY different mountains, different elevation, terrain, and difficulty level...same amount of danger.

SAR contact told me that the 1st attempt up Cucamonga was aborted due to dangerous conditions. A second team went up further and finally SAR was dropped on the top of the mountain so as to not have to climb areas that were too dangerous.

1# Rule of hiking...know when to quit. The mountain will still be there, and the mountain doesn't care.

I just noticed that someone mentioned a search area as being Kelly's camp.

Kelly's camp is located in route to Ontario Peak, which is west of Icehouse Saddle, while Cucamonga is South of the Saddle.

I have wondered if they ended up trying to climb Bighorn which is between Onatrio and Cucamonga. This would have given them the opportunity to reach Kelly's Camp. The route from Kelly's camp back down to Icehouse Saddle is very sketchy right now. The melt is undercutting the trail. Very dangerous ares in winter conditions. Most experienced hikers I know are avoiding it right now.

Rescue crews find missing hikers on Mount Baldy

They’ve been located!!

Following an intensive search, rescue crews have found a pair of hikers alive who had been missing on Mount Baldy since Saturday.

Eric Desplinter, 33, of Chino Hills and Gabrielle Wallace, 31, of Rancho Cucamonga had gone missing Saturday afternoon as they were heading toward Cucamonga Peak.

They were finally located Wednesday evening and a rescue operation was underway to get them off the mountain. Their conditions were not immediately available.

Missing hikers found in California after being lost for five days

[...]

Authorities said rescuers found two sets of footprints in Cucamonga Canyon Wednesday at which point they alerted a search-and-rescue helicopter to fly over the area. The helicopter spotted Desplinter, 33, and Wallace, 31, at a campfire and lifted them to safety late Wednesday.

“We’re very grateful to be found tonight. I’m ready to get to bed and get some rest,” Desplinter told Los Angeles ABC station KABC-TV.

The pair apparently lost the trail and when they tried to descend through a valley, it “was more treacherous than we thought,” Desplinter said.

“Best possible outcome we’ve been hoping for!” San Bernardino County Sgt. Jeff Allison tweeted. “Thank you to all of the Search and Rescue volunteers, aviation units, and our assisting agency partners. Training, hard work, and perseverance paid [off].”

Desplinter was an experienced hiker, but authorities previously said the two had limited supplies of food and water.

The two rationed food and drank water through a LifeStraw, which can filter dirty water.

[...]

I've been following this case since I first heard about it on Saturday. I live local to this range and hike or backpack it roughly 3-4 times a month. I was actually hiking Icehouse canyon the day they went missing. I've summited Cucamonga Peak 6 times. 3 with others, 3 solo. Twice in snow/ice conditions. I think I can offer quite a bit of information here that might help paint a better picture for those who are either not familiar with the area or the kind of hiking experience and skill set one should have.

Trail Head Start: Ice House Canyon
Ice House Saddle: +3.6 miles, this is where the trail splits 4 ways. One being a route to Cucamonga Peak.
Cucamonga Peak from Icehouse Saddle: 2.4+ miles, rounding Bighorn Peak on the way...along this path reach a saddle between Bighorn and Cucamonga and the begining of the 13-14 switchbacks (depends on how you define switchback) up Cucamonga.

While the trail has been challenging up to this point...the true challenge begins with Cucamonga itself. The hike overall gains over 4,000' but it's not all up...you lose elevation between Icehouse Saddle and Cucamonga/Bighorn Saddle, causing you to have to climb back up. This is a single track hike for the most part in the height of summer, throw in this year's winter conditions and it's a single track hike the entire route.

Equipment I carry for current conditions and why:
Mountaineering Boots
: Only boots that crampons work with
Crampons: Designed for ice climbing, large Spikes that can be used for climbing sever or vertical grades, Not felxible..."Cramp On" to boots
Micro Spikes: For walking on ice that is not on a steep grade, made of chain and mini spike attached to rubber to stretch over boots, flexible, break easy
Zip Ties: to repair broken micro spikes...I've done this it happens
Helmet: Because we all love our brain inside our skull
Ice Ax: Use like a hiking pole, used to cut steps, used to self arrest on a slide down a mountain. Note: self arrest should be practiced and mastered well before your first summit.
Goggles/Glasses: To protect your eyes from cold and wind primarily on a hike like this. Winds on this range can reach above 60 MPH
Hiking Poles: This hike is not all covered in ice and snow, they would have been free of ice the first 3.6 miles. On the way back down poles will save your knees a whole lot of hurt.
Gorilla Tape: Because it can fix just about anything.
Garmin Spot (Or some kind of Garmin): Emergency Beacon that sends a call for help to local emergency services via satellite
Wilderness 1st aide kit: too much too list here
Emergency Shelter: I carry a tarp that is lined on one side with reflective material to contain heat. I can set up a makeshift tent or use it like a blanket.
Clothing: Base Layer, Mid Layer, Top Layer, Shell (All should be quick dry material), Beanie, Balaclava, water proof gloves, thermal leggings, snow pants.
Extra Clothing: I carry an extra base layer, mid layer, and socks.
Food: I carry enough food for 3 days (it's a lot less than you'd think), I also carry electrolyte tablets to drop in my water or even chew if I start to cramp out.
Hand Warmers: Can help prevent frost bite.
Water: For this particular hike I carry 2 liters of water as there are some potable springs where you can refill.
Map and compass: Map of area and ability to orient with compass

Depending on my mood I may or may not take a pocket rocket and fuel to drink hot cocoa at the top.

6 Pack of Peak Challenge
I've completed this challenge 4 years a in a row, hiking each mountain mutiple times in a year.
While Cucamonga is the original 2nd highest mountain listed, elevation does not = difficulty.
I often recommend hikers summit Baldy 1st at the terrain is just easier. Not less dangerous...they each pose their own unique dangers...just less rugged.
Ice chutes are a mjaor danger in the Icehouse Canyon Mountains. Cucamonga, Ontario, BigHorn, Hardwood, Baldy, Timber, Thunder, all have steep and sharp drop offs that in winter time catch the snow and eventually become iced over.
March reports from the Avalanche center warned that taking a slide down this range at then ice conditions posed a strong inability to self arrest even with an ice ax, regardless of experience level. Strongly discouraged attempts to summit.

Mt. Baldy has been mentioned a lot by news reports in reference to whether or not either of them have climbed it before. It should be noted that while it's a 10 min drive from Icehouse trailhead to the Baldy trailhead...it's over 12miles on foot from ice house saddle to Mt baldy and in the OPPOSITE direction of Cucamonga Peak.
Conditions change with elevation and direction you are heading. I feel it's misleading for the new to keep mentioning Mt. Baldy. I assure you, no one is looking for them on Mt. Blady. Two VERY different mountains, different elevation, terrain, and difficulty level...same amount of danger.

SAR contact told me that the 1st attempt up Cucamonga was aborted due to dangerous conditions. A second team went up further and finally SAR was dropped on the top of the mountain so as to not have to climb areas that were too dangerous.

1# Rule of hiking...know when to quit. The mountain will still be there, and the mountain doesn't care.
Welcome! Amazing first post full of valuable information!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back