GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking specifically about this search process for a long time as we all have. If they're looking for remains (either because she got disoriented and lost and succombed to the elements, or if she were murdered and hidden out there) I really can't imagine how they can find her with a search. It just seems impossible when you look at the terrain.

I've often thought that if you wanted to hide remains, hiding them in a very secluded stretch of beach - in the dunes - would be perfect. At Joshua Tree, it looks like they have miles and miles and miles of "dunes".

I really think, like with the Laura Bradbury missing child case out there, someone will just have to happen upon her remains in the coming years while they are out hiking. Or really, it is highly possible she'll never be found.

What about looking for, I hate typing this, the signs of vultures lurking around. If Erin succumbed in JT park, how many days later might those signs show up?
LE had helicopters up and out on Sunday or was it Monday?

I think, other than the police needing to look into the "boyfriend" as a tip and/or possible motive angles that it shouldn't be relevant in looking for her. I know that I wouldn't want my baggage out in the world to see if I was lost or taken, especially if it is speculation and rumor that sheds me in a bad light. I think she is a victim and ignoring these comments would be best unless there ends up being proof. It just seems hurtful to her character when as far as we know she is just a young woman that is missing.

I saw a map of the location where the car was found but can't recall if it was zoomable. The route is basically a straight line from base to JT.

I thought about that, too, especially after following the Leanne Bearden case earlier this year. But it seems unlikely to me that someone who got pregnant so soon after a miscarriage (and presumably wanted to be pregnant) would choose that route. That said, depression is an unpredictable thing...

Just thinking outside the box but what if something were found in her car to indicate suicide? Not really sure how the placement of her car would come in to play but suicide, sadly, just crossed my mind.

When exactly did Jon return from Japan?
How long has Erin lived on base? Since last fall? Since New Years?
If she got to base first to set up their household, how long after did he follow?

We were Army. When we arrived at a new post, it took a whole day to process into the place.
My husband had to sign a ton of papers and we had to go to several different desks (buildings) to get entered into all the various systems on post.
I'm uncertain if a spouse can do that herself before the actual military member is present. The orders will instruct, to arrive on this(date) but not after (date). The date range isn't generous - just a little leeway given to adjust travel plans.
Orders are dated according to when the soldier/Marine is due on post/base. He's given a little time to get settled but checks in with his command/job immediately.
We usually transferred (PCS'd) to locations where there were waiting lists for on-post housing anyway. Or, we knew we'd be expected to find housing 'on the economy' (meaning off-post). It wasn't as if a house was waiting and ready for you (until or if you're ever a big cheese commander). Not sure how housing works at 29 Palms but I can't picture how Erin would be able to show up and process in herself. That said, I was dumped off once or twice. Meaning, we arrived, got checked in, and immediately he deployed leaving me to setup the house.

Can or will anybody shed some light on this subject please?

Please, I beg, don't get on the subject of suicide. Way too early for that kind speculation.

Let's tell the murderer we'll let him off the hook because the girl took her own life. Give the theory wings, I WILL NOT.

I think, other than the police needing to look into the "boyfriend" as a tip and/or possible motive angles that it shouldn't be relevant in looking for her. I know that I wouldn't want my baggage out in the world to see if I was lost or taken, especially if it is speculation and rumor that sheds me in a bad light. I think she is a victim and ignoring these comments would be best unless there ends up being proof. It just seems hurtful to her character when as far as we know she is just a young woman that is missing.

Not to mention how a guilty party would love if everyone would just latch onto other theories - she ran away, was having an affair, committed suicide, etc.

If she left voluntarily, the timing seems strange if she was so excited to have her mom come. Could she have been avoiding telling her mom something? I guess. Aren't there any cameras that picked her up somewhere?

I 100% agree with you. I believe that even LE knows this is a homicide case, and are just looking for a recovery :(

Please, I beg, don't get on the subject of suicide. Way too early for that kind speculation.

Let's tell the murderer we'll let him off the hook because the girl took her own life. Give the theory wings, I WILL NOT.

If she got to base first to set up their household, how long after did he follow?

We were Army. When we arrived at a new post, it took a whole day to process into the place.
My husband had to sign a ton of papers and we had to go to several different desks (buildings) to get entered into all the various systems on post.
I'm uncertain if a spouse can do that herself before the actual military member is present. The orders will instruct, to arrive on this(date) but not after (date). The date range isn't generous - just a little leeway given to adjust travel plans.
Orders are dated according to when the soldier/Marine is due on post/base. He's given a little time to get settled but checks in with his command/job immediately.
We usually transferred (PCS'd) to locations where there were waiting lists for on-post housing anyway. Or, we knew we'd be expected to find housing 'on the economy' (meaning off-post). It wasn't as if a house was waiting and ready for you (until or if you're ever a big cheese commander). Not sure how housing works at 29 Palms but I can't picture how Erin would be able to show up and process in herself. That said, I was dumped off once or twice. Meaning, we arrived, got checked in, and immediately he deployed leaving me to setup the house.

Power of Attorney and orders sending her husband to 29 Palms is all she would need to set up housing. Even more common if he was overseas, and she was stateside.

Her Mother said that Erin went out to California and set up the apt. on her own. So I am not sure if he was around at the time or not.

http://www.29palms.marines.mil/Portals/56/Docs/G4/HSG Instr manual 11101.pdf

This is the Instruction Manual; Instructions for the residents of family housing at USMC Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command
Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Ca.

What about looking for, I hate typing this, the signs of vultures lurking around. If Erin succumbed in JT park, how many days later might those signs show up?
LE had helicopters up and out on Sunday or was it Monday?

I wonder about this too. I was honestly shocked that they hadn't showed up in the case of Mike Herdman, the missing firefighter/hiker found deceased recently in a wilderness area. He was there quite awhile and yet no vultures. I don't want to think the worst in Erin's case by any means! But apparently the vultures aren't a sure thing.

If she left voluntarily, the timing seems strange if she was so excited to have her mom come. Could she have been avoiding telling her mom something? I guess. Aren't there any cameras that picked her up somewhere?

That's where all this hangs up for me. I just can't see Erin taking off days prior to her Mom's arrival and maintaining radio silence while all this is in the news. There is only one reason I can fathom ... :(

Power of Attorney and orders sending her husband to 29 Palms is all she would need to set up housing. Even more common if he was overseas, and she was stateside.

True, I know about Power of Attorney. But Erin is 19 and never had lived on base before. It just seems like a lot for her to take on her first time. Why not wait until he arrived and walk through it together?

Now, Erin's mother went with her? I read they were all concerned when Erin flew out to CA alone to set up her home on base. I'm just not so sure Jon wasn't already there.

There are FRG, family readiness groups, but I'm not certain they help you to move in but will be there to greet you as soon as they know you're there.

Plus, if Erin flew to CA, how did she get access to a car? She moved in on base alone but didn't have a car to get around yet? Nah.

Well, I can chime in a bit based on personal experience and what has been reported. Based on the links they married, he went to Japan and she stayed at home and when he got orders for 29 he was deployed so she went ahead out there to set up there housing and receive the household goods.

Based on that I could just deduct the following: that he trained and got sent to Japan, got follow on orders to 29 but got sent on a short deployment elsewhere (could also indicate training imhoo as he is very new to the service but could also just be how the Marines roll as they will have shorter hot areas that their assigned units are deployed to?). I imagine that, BASED ON MY 20 years experience :twocents: that household goods would be picked up from her home and where he was stationed and she arrived there to receive them.

This base is largely a training area so he could well be assigned to a staff area of a unit that trains units that come into the base. If he were just there to train for a short period of time it would not be command sponsored (re: your family comes with you).

This all being said, we just don't know as no one is saying anything.

So, take the above with a truck load of salt and the two cents icon.

True, I know about Power of Attorney. But Erin is 19 and never had lived on base before. It just seems like a lot for her to take on her first time. Why not wait until he arrived and walk through it together?

Now, Erin's mother went with her? I read they were all concerned when Erin flew out to CA alone to set up her home on base. I'm just not so sure Jon wasn't already there.

There are FRG, family readiness groups, but I'm not certain they help you to move in but will be there to greet you as soon as they know you're there.

Plus, if Erin flew to CA, how did she get access to a car? She moved in on base alone but didn't have a car to get around yet? Nah.
I have seen, in my husband's military career, way younger spouses doing the same exact thing and getting it done. I wouldn't put too much money on that. She had waited for him during Japan and was finally getting a possible permanent change of station (PCS) that was command sponsored if house hold goods were approved (her mother says she received them so that says a lot). The military does not move household goods or approve family housing if there is not command sponsorship. The car could well be her husband's POV (car) which the military will store for any service member while they are deployed. Also not sure if she drove there herself or not. We have heard she got lost in airports but she may well have driven out there as well? I don't recall seeing anything that said she flew into the 29 area when she moved. She also could have done a DITY move for all we know (Do it yourself move).

I'm picturing in my mind that Jon drove here to CA (possibly bringing their belongings), signed the paperwork, got the apartment in place then Erin flew here and took over from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14