GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravo was talking about the 2 hours the Jury was at lunch today. :wink:

My thoughts exactly Emma. 140 feet down and left there.

I was teasing, lol.

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/2...urder-trial-of-former-twentynine-palms-marine

Prosecutors believe Lee lured Corwin to the remote cluster of abandoned mines, where he allegedly strangled her with the garrote, crafted from two pieces of rebar and a nylon cord, before dumping her body, bullet casings and propane tank down the mine shaft.

NO WORDS

“I believe he had something to do with it because he was having an affair with her and she had no enemies,” Conor Malakie said.

He said he was direct with Lee and asked him if he had anything to do with Corwin’s disappearance, to which Lee replied, “No.”

Lee told Conor Malakie if he had something to do with Corwin’s disappearance, he wouldn’t have asked Malakie to go hunting with him, Malakie said.

I'm a little surprised on how quickly they are moving through witness testimony.

I've been thinking this same thing since the first day of the trial! It'll be very interesting to hear more about evidence and to see what the defense is going to do.

Thank you to everyone who has provided updates today. I still think of this little girl every day and probably will for a very long time and my hear will be forever broken for those who lost her.

I've been thinking this same thing since the first day of the trial! It'll be very interesting to hear more about evidence and to see what the defense is going to do.

Short and concise. I think Jurors appreciate that. Hope they are taking good notes. I'm wondering how the defense will counter, and who they will call to the stand. There will likely be some character assination involved, not looking forward to hearing that. We 'll see how they choose to spin the relationship. Clearly CL was after one thing with Erin, while I feel she truly wanted something morecpermanent. I feel awful that Jon has to hear the details.

From the blog:

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Day Three - The Prosecution's Case Continues
The first witness today was Joseph Hollifield, the civilian friend of defendant Christopher Lee who took the photographs that ended up being critical in the discovery of Erin Corwin's body. On June 22, 2014, less than a week before Erin disappeared, Lee and Hollifield went out to the same remote mining district that was home to Mine #108 - where searchers found Erin's body in August.

Hollifield dressed in baggy jeans and a brown t-shirt for his court appearance. He admitted when asked by Deputy District Attorney Sean Daugherty that he still considered Chris Lee - and wife Nichole Lee - to be good friends. Key point in his testimony was how Hollifield denied knowing Lee planned to visit the same mining area the week after their June 22nd trip. Daugherty even confronted Hollifield with the undeniable fact he had texted Lee on the day Erin disappeared with the question, "How are the mines?" Hollifield said he didn't know if Lee planned to visit the mines or not. It was just a random text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Nelson ‏@SBcountyNow
Among items Baum retrieved from mine shaft included 2 water jugs with "Property of U.S. Government" etched on them. #Joe Nelson ‏@SBcountyNow
Among items Baum retrieved from mine shaft included 2 water jugs with "Property of U.S. Government" etched on them. #ErinCorwin

Oh, is this new evidence? I had not read about this before.

I thought it was new too, but apparently it was on CL's arrest warrant. Maybe just something they kept quiet about?

Corwin’s body was found on August 16, 2014, at the bottom of a 140-foot mine shaft on the eastern border of Joshua Tree National Park, where a cluster of abandoned mining camps comprise the Rose of Peru, Brooklyn and Old Dale mining districts.
A homemade garotte, believed to be the murder weapon, was still wrapped around Corwin’s neck, and spent 22-caliber shell casings, a white propane tank, and two 5-gallon water jugs with the words “Property of U.S. Government” were found discarded in the mine shaft next to her badly decomposed body.

The bullet casings found in the mine matched ones found in Lee’s Jeep, and the water jugs found in the mine were like ones used by the military, according court testimony and Lee’s arrest warrant.

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/2...ccused-of-killing-mistress-denied-knowing-her

Thanks for posting all the tweets and updates. I am just catching up. I'm so sorry that Erin's family has to hear and see the horrific details of Erin's death. It is heartbreaking. I am glad they have DNA evidence and witness accounts of the days leading up to the murder, including the friend who took photos in the area of the mineshaft the week before (which it sounds like was crucial in being able to find her). And I am so glad the CL was so incompetent in covering his tracks.

We had one of the guys who searched the mines for Erin posting here on these threads at WS. I can't remember his name, but the information he gave was so insightful at the time for all of us. I know that it led to many of us donating to the organization he was with.

I'm sill here, and the SBSAR folks are all watching the trial with great interest.

I've forgotten some of the early details, probable cause is in the attachment if anyone cares to read.
https://www.documentcloud.org/docum...'t seem to find ATM...still searching though.

Thanks button seems to be working for me. At the moment. If my thanks become random or nil.......well ya know.......Lordy! Thought are with the loved ones and all who worked this case. Tough one for sure.

I'm sill here, and the SBSAR folks are all watching the trial with great interest.

Thanks to you, and all the SBSAR members for the dedication and hard work!!!! Without you guys, there may not have been a trial.

Shout out to San Bernardino Sun reporter-Joe Nelson, and Blogger-Beth Ford Roth. Excellent coverage of this trial, much appreciated here at Websleuths.

Day 1-3 run down thus far of witnesses; please let me know if you see errors! I've tried to catch as many as possible.

Murder trial of Christopher Lee/Erin Corwin
San Bernardino County, California
Judge J. David Mazurek
State: Deputy District Attorney Sean Daugherty

State’s Witnesses
Day 1 - Tues 10/11/2016
1. (W1) Lore Heavilin, Erin’s mother.
2. (W2) Jon Corwin, Erin’s husband.
3. (W3) Jessica Trentham, Erin’s BFF.
Day 2 - Wednesday 10/12/2016
1. (W4) Douglas Billings, cave/mine expert.
2. (W5) Aisling Malakie, Corwin’s & Lee’s neighbor.
3. (W6) Conor Malakie, Corwin’s & Lee’s neighbor.
Day 3 - Thursday 10/13/2016
1. (W7) Joseph Hollifield, CL’s civilian friend photographed mine district.
2. (W8) Sheriff’s Deputy Danny Millan, took missing person report.
3. (W9) Sheriff’s Cpl. Cathy Tabor, Millan’s training officer.
4. (W10) Sheriff’s Cpl. Robert Whiteside, headed search & rescue team.
5. (W11) Brenton Baum, San Bernardino County FD paramedic, retrieval.

**Witnesses longstanding run indicated by parentheses, W and respective number in order

I noticed Joe has not posted since yesterday. I wonder if he will be covering/tweeting the trial today?
Some courts don't have trials on Friday...I did notice no one tweeted what time trial would resume today. :confused:

Also, I am having soooo much trouble posting. I tried to edit my post to Knox one second after realized I needed to fix my reply to her (end her actual quote = [/QUOTE]....but I just kept getting an empty box. Is anyone else having problems? :gaah:
PLUS when I type out sentences, I have letters missing from each one.

Day 1-3 run down thus far of witnesses; please let me know if you see errors! I've tried to catch as many as possible.

Murder trial of Christopher Lee/Erin Corwin
San Bernardino County, California
Judge J. David Mazurek
State: Deputy District Attorney Sean Daugherty

State’s Witnesses
Day 1 - Tues 10/11/2016
1. (W1) Lore Heavilin, Erin’s mother.
2. (W2) Jon Corwin, Erin’s husband.
3. (W3) Jessica Trentham, Erin’s BFF.
Day 2 - Wednesday 10/12/2016
1. (W4) Douglas Billings, cave/mine expert.
2. (W5) Aisling Malakie, Corwin’s & Lee’s neighbor.
3. (W6) Conor Malakie, Corwin’s & Lee’s neighbor.
Day 3 - Thursday 10/13/2016
1. (W7) Joseph Hollifield, CL’s civilian friend photographed mine district.
2. (W8) Sheriff’s Deputy Danny Millan, took missing person report.
3. (W9) Sheriff’s Cpl. Cathy Tabor, Millan’s training officer.
4. (W10) Sheriff’s Cpl. Robert Whiteside, headed search & rescue team.
5. (W11) Brenton Baum, San Bernardino County FD paramedic, retrieval.

**Witnesses longstanding run indicated by parentheses, W and respective number in order

Than you roadrunnerm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member