Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a military spouse. I think possible reasons to go to a base at this time would be possibly to get gas/fuel. The gas it typically much cheaper than the civilian stations off the installation and as a retiree and ID card holder would allow him to get fuel there.

Looks like the store closes at 10pm 7 days a week, but the fuel pumps are open 24/7 for credit/debit purchases.
Wonder what the price of gas was at the mart? Could JRF have been after cheap gas?

@mark1969 Thanks for all the information. Can you please clarify what you mean by “(not) official”? When he registered his card at the entrance, do you know if he was alone?
Information of entering Marine base by John on 21st of july 21.19pm is given by Lins first PI (Laywer friend) which investigated this and who helped Lin to report her mother missing at the Morongo Sheriff station. We do not have it officially ourselves by Marine base yet, but maybe who knows that one of you can provide ?

Not very many where the woman permanently disappears. Here's one where the woman didn't disappear:

However, very few people are out in the middle of a vast wasteland, where there's little cell service, most people are transient (hikers, campers, hunters, offroaders). Anyway, I don't think statistical probabilities are great, but I think it's a greater than zero chance (that someone killed JRF). No way of knowing since we don't even know manner of death.
====================

On another topic:

I do not think JFR was a long term resident of the area. A public records search shows he had lived until fairly recently in Anaheim, and before that, Virginia. He had two other brief stays on the edge of the desert communities - but I don't think he was in Morongo/Indian Wells area for more than a year (probably less). As a person who has lived at the edge of deserts (and done desert hiking, off roading and camping for 30 years), I don't think there's anything such as being really experienced in the desert. It is an inherently inhospitable place for humans. Indian Wells, at least, has a well. Harper Canyon is a very dry environment with a welter of dry creek runs, amounting to a kind of delta of what look like trails (the actual trail, according to reports from those who have done it, is barely discernible).

Absolutely nothing about the way his truck was fitted out or his length of stay in Morongo makes me think he was desert experienced. His Seal training was on the east coast, if I'm reading correctly.

IMO.
Agree. I do not think they were prepared. I was suspicious at first, but now I am starting to think they did go for a hike/exploring. Jin possibly got sick/heat stroke. John was trying to get back to the truck to go for help. Phone may have been inactive? Also, If Jin communicated every other day, possibly every couple of days, this may make sense as to why/when cmcn stopped. I was in the mind frame that John is a Navy Seal and should be able to adapt- If Seal training was on east coast, and long ago, no supplies-no level of training can stop the body from responding to that kind of heat. Being a paramedic, I have seen several heat related deaths in La in the last 4 months.

Wonder what the price of gas was at the mart? Could JRF have been after cheap gas?

I would think so. Everyone I know who has access to a base where they sell gas, goes there to fill up. Gas was close to $6 a gallon in the regular market in California at that time (and still is - the station nearest me has it at $6.19).

This particular base has no major military activity associated with it. It's mostly personnel offices, a small clinic and support services. By this I mean, they're not testing rockets like Vandenburg or organizing training for marines or sailors like Pendleton or working with loading and unloading materiel like Mugu and Hueneme (which also train fighter jet pilots and cargo pilots). I assume people come in a lot at night to the 24hr gas station (and just show their ID at the gate).

That was the night of the 21st, IIRC.

Agree. I do not think they were prepared. I was suspicious at first, but now I am starting to think they did go for a hike/exploring. Jin possibly got sick/heat stroke. John was trying to get back to the truck to go for help. Phone may have been inactive? Also, If Jin communicated every other day, possibly every couple of days, this may make sense as to why/when cmcn stopped. I was in the mind frame that John is a Navy Seal and should be able to adapt- If Seal training was on east coast, and long ago, no supplies-no level of training can stop the body from responding to that kind of heat. Being a paramedic, I have seen several heat related deaths in La in the last 4 months.

Thank you for being a paramedic. And for confirming just how dangerous the heat has been and can be. I keep reading that DeAnza-Borrego SP has pretty good cell service - but not up the canyons.

The place they would have been trying to get to (if both were on the same hike that day) is higher up than where the truck was parked, and there appears to me that there's lots of scrambling and steep terrain to get to the petroglyphs (or even, into the Canyon). What if Jin Fang was injured? Twisted ankle? Short or long fall? And he has no cell service?

This would explain the fact that her wallet and ID were not found (she would have taken them with her, because most of us fear break-ins any time we leave a vehicle unattended in a state park or other recreational area). If she was unable to walk, then surely JRF would have panicked. We don't know how far he was from the truck, just that he was found in the vicinity of the truck.

It could be a case of wilderness misadventure in the heat. Manner of Death has not been revealed yet (just the identification of the body).

@mark1969 we continue to keep Jin Fang in our thoughts and prayers, offering support to assist with possible suggestions for returning her home to family and friends. As a group, we tend to be very passionate in our desire to assist families of those who are missing. Actually, many of us have personal experience with missing loved ones ourselves and truly understand the stress and emotional challenges for the family and friends. So, like it is for you no doubt, it’s also frustrating to us when we fail to offer assistance, having no solutions for helping you, especially knowing that two daughters are missing their mother. We have only the best of intentions in the questions of clarifying information and would never interfere in a law enforcement investigation but by these continued discussions of sorting out facts it may offer overlooked information that you can share with law enforcement. Hope that makes sense, online comments can sometimes be misinterpreted- I’m from South Georgia and have been told that we can create confusion as we tend to use past tense in our communications so please let us know if there’s anything that’s confusing or that makes you uncomfortable, we’ll try to do the same.

So, the primary source of possible search areas currently available to us is the cell phone information and witness statements (DH and Park Ranger per media reports).

A starting point in sorting out details may be with clarifying specific information from news articles that quote family statements: “On July 22, Jin Fang suddenly lost contact with her family, her mobile phone was also disconnected, and her social media was no longer updated.”

The details on the “disconnected” status of her cell phone is not clear for me, does family suspect or have knowledge her cell phone account was deactivated or that she lost cell service due to weak signal or dead battery?
On 22nd CA lunchtime or afternoon ...probably already 23rd in China (15 hours timezone difference) ...friends and family started to call and reach out to Fangs cellphone without any success....

Information of entering Marine base by John on 21st of july 21.19pm is given by Lins first PI (Laywer friend) which investigated this and who helped Lin to report her mother missing at the Morongo Sheriff station. We do not have it officially ourselves by Marine base yet, but maybe who knows that one of you can provide ?
Okay so 21:19pm would be 9:19pm and well before the store would close at 10pm. The gas station is also a mini mart with snacks, basic supplies, and sometimes even souvenirs or little items like that. Typically there is video surveillance inside the stores and outside. I don't know how long that video would be kept, but with having an exact time that he entered the base, I would think the transactions for that day from 9:20pm until closing could be obtained. If they were heading to "camp" somewhere, maybe they bought some snacks/drinks and that would be reflected in a transaction.

Okay so 21:19pm would be 9:19pm and well before the store would close at 10pm. The gas station is also a mini mart with snacks, basic supplies, and sometimes even souvenirs or little items like that. Typically there is video surveillance inside the stores and outside. I don't know how long that video would be kept, but with having an exact time that he entered the base, I would think the transactions for that day from 9:20pm until closing could be obtained. If they were heading to "camp" somewhere, maybe they bought some snacks/drinks and that would be reflected in a transaction.
Sorry I mistyped the time of entering Marine base by John.... it is ofcourse 22:19 or 10:19pm on 21st of july and not 1 hour earlier

Sorry I mistyped the time of entering Marine base by John.... it is ofcourse 22:19 or 10:19pm on 21st of july and not 1 hour earlier
Okay so in that case IF he went there for gas, then he HAD to use a credit or debit card to do that. If he purchased gas shortly after he entered the gate, then that could give you an idea if that is what he entered the base for at that hour. If the store was still open, he could have went in and used cash, but since it was after the 10pm closing time, if he bought gas it had to be with a card, which is trackable.

So, it seems like Fang sent that last nighttime video while she was with JRF at the base?

Maybe he was filling up the truck with gas, so while she was sitting and waiting, she sent the video.
MOO

Thank you for being a paramedic. And for confirming just how dangerous the heat has been and can be. I keep reading that DeAnza-Borrego SP has pretty good cell service - but not up the canyons.

The place they would have been trying to get to (if both were on the same hike that day) is higher up than where the truck was parked, and there appears to me that there's lots of scrambling and steep terrain to get to the petroglyphs (or even, into the Canyon). What if Jin Fang was injured? Twisted ankle? Short or long fall? And he has no cell service?

This would explain the fact that her wallet and ID were not found (she would have taken them with her, because most of us fear break-ins any time we leave a vehicle unattended in a state park or other recreational area). If she was unable to walk, then surely JRF would have panicked. We don't know how far he was from the truck, just that he was found in the vicinity of the truck.

It could be a case of wilderness misadventure in the heat. Manner of Death has not been revealed yet (just the identification of the body).
part of his linked in says he was in Bahrain so one would think he has some desert
experience:

but maybe he was in Bahrain in the winter (!) when he was 25....

Imo

It's more that a SEAL with a long military career would have better sense about harsh conditions by assessing risk, limiting exposure not that he is somehow physically immune, imo

And that a SEAL would not manage to end up at the truck by himself without his delicate companion who isn't anywhere to be found.

JRF lived in Morongo for three years which would not make him an expert by that alone but would make him experienced at inland living.

The weather was unbearable. JRF's friend said he was a strong planner. Why would JRF take his not appropriately prepared or garbed guest on an extreme hike with no supplies? So far out that now they can't even find her?

RSBM
JRF made a rather rude introduction to his Morongo community with the first of four arrests, amounting to a dozen charges, and sandwiched around a divorce in LA County, in Feb ‘19, over a three-year crime spree.
(These have been previously documented on thread#1, posts#174,217,973).
The initial arrest of the ‘Morongo Valley’ man was the felony assault (kicking, choking, concussed/ruptured ear drum) of the boyfriend of the woman he intended to deliver food to.
A vandalism arrest followed but it was not until an April ‘21 DUI, with enhancements, charge that the former SEAL, wallowing in the depths, drew the attention of the Veterans Treatment Court (VTC).
The VTC offers ‘alternatives to cases that address underlying substance abuse and mental health issues’. The alternate court also cautions: ‘treatment courts are very involved and can be very intense’ but also advises: ‘Rules are based on performance…the Judge rewards progress and penalizes noncompliance.’
The Judge was very impressed. Apparently JRF functioned well—much like his exemplary military career—in structured confines.
Despite getting busted for speeding, driving suspended license two months into his three-year probationary review, nevertheless, barely a year later, all charges dismissed, and JRF a free man this past April.
And what a month of renewal it was. His online relationship with FJ was heating up and he purchased the blue truck, as a symbol of his new freedom.
(It can not be understated in Morongo the hardship of not having a vehicle (if JRF was abiding by his terms) and this may be where friend DH comes in handy, the 15-20 mile treks on Hiway 62 to access full services. But for all we know JRF fully embraced his reformation, accepting it as basic training, preparing for one more special op, strapping on a 75# backpack and trekking to PSprings or YValley. I mean, have you seen the photos?).View attachment 453252View attachment 453253
The earlier mugshot photo above, a chapter FJ, sadly, was not aware. as compared to the later version of JRF as captured by JF looks like a before/after advert of a total makeover.
After a hellish four-year stint in Morongo Valley, messy, never-ending marital and criminal issues, JRF, with a new lease on life had much to look forward to, beginning with a new romantic interest.
Unfortunately, PTSD is real and—despite the determination of the VTC—some cargo can not be so easily jettisoned.
My heart aches for the anguish of the innocents.

Being in Bahrain under the auspices of the US Military is decidedly different than actual desert experience without military support.

The military actually supervises supplies and takes a dim view of members operating solo adventures with non-military companions.

At any rate, even people with desert experience run into problems in the Sonoran/Mojave Deserts (thinking they are close to "civilization.")

In the military, they actually make sure to supply daily water rations to personnel. In the Mojave, one has to do it oneself.

To me, the deserts of NM are entirely different from those of UT and California has an entirely different set of desert ecosystems. To really be good at surviving in the California desert, one needs a support system (let people know where you're going - in the military - that's a given; take all needed supplies, even if it's a 50-70 pound pack - in the mlitary, that can be a given; go with a group (military does that); carry satellite phones (military does that).

Etc.

A person who thinks they know the desert because they've been there on a structured encounter...does not know the desert, IMO. I am speaking as someone who has been very dismayed by the way the desert has taken the lives of people who lived there a long time and still made mistakes (many kinds of mistakes). It is unforgiving. I'm not saying that no one should go where there is no cell service (but think hard about it, if you are a modern person with modern skills), but plan very carefully and always let at least two sets of people know where you're going, including trailhead, and what to do if you don't check back in.

These simple steps would have prevented so many SAR-intensive, life-risking (by volunteers) searches, and saved many lives.

Satellite phone. Is my bottom line. Heck, you can even buy a smart watch that can satellite connect, is my understanding. Otherwise, the same catastrophes that have killed people out there since 1850 (or earlier) will continue. Even the Shoshone, prehistorically adapted to the Utah, Nevada, West Texas and California deserts...had enough death that it affected the biology of the humans involved. Infant death, older person death (people over 50 have fewer defenses against heat), death of people out on their own (and this continues well into modern times).

At any rate, military experience in the desert didn't save JRF - and your implied view that maybe something else happened is well-taken. I think you may be right (despite my view that this could be wilderness misadventure).

I should also mention that this region and other mountain desert regions have a fair number of winter fatalities as well - there's no water, not in the winter, not in the summer. And here in California, we even have dry snow - it's dry even in the winter. In fact, it's so dry right now that most of us are uncomfortable if we live in any river area where dry winds sweep down and dehydrate the farms, our bodies, and so on. It's DRY out here. I was taught that anything below 30 percent humidity is life-threatening.

It's currently 24=25 percent out in Borrego Springs/Anza-Borrego/Ocotillo Wells. And that's after dark, when it's usually a bit better. It's so dry that I have multiple scratches on my cornea just because I'm older and it interferes with vision. However, people younger than me experienced blurred vision (and hence, different cognition) because it's so dry. Sometimes, it's the small things (I think) that end up with people being hurt or going missing.

I'm still clinging to the idea that the disappearance of Jin Fang started with misadventure and under-preparation.

IMO.

Last edited:
Hi
Thx for your consideration and support....
Together with our family and friends of 2 daughters of Fang we will try to provide a detailed overview with current facts and figures very soon to all of you.... We understand that because of several reasons there seems to be alot of miscommunication by dates, hours etc ...or by musinterpreting because culture or language differenxe and yes even by huge time zone differences....
For now already a few starting facts :
On 15th of July Fang did not take train because train did not continue to Palm Springs and John picked her up at bus station around 12 am.
Fang stayed in Johns place until 20th or 21st...
Last message on moments in wechat was video message at 22.12pm 21st of july with text comment : look to the lights we will again go camping in a small village...and same video but without text she send out to chinese friend in usa a few minutes later around 22.15pm 21/07 ... normally she never send messages in that way to this friend...(this is really last contact by her phone)
22.19pm 21/07 we have (not) official prove that John entered the Marine Base by registrating his card at entrance gate in 29 palms.
Morongo Sheriff found surveillance camera pics of Johns Toyota in Thermal on 22nd of July.
And Joshua Parkranger teaced cellphone ping of John in Julian on 24th of july....
We know from Daryl H that he visited John and Fang on 17th of july.
We also know from PI and Daryl that 3 luggages and pasport and cash from Fang are in home of Fang.
All other statements and articles are NOT true or not verified as facts to us.
BBM. Thank you for sharing these facts with us @mark1969
I'm curious if Fang shared with anyone how she & Fitzpatrick were getting along or any impressions she had after meeting him in person, or any feelings about being in the US. Online impressions vs real life are often very different.

Fang's last video, without knowing her or the text comment, seemed odd to me as well. It was almost as if someone was recording without knowing the camera was set to record. But Fang sent the recording so apparently it was not made by accident. I'm probably reading too much into the text message but "look to the lights" made no sense to me. The innocent meaning was most likely we are going to look at the stars or the sunset. After a long hot day that would be pushing it for me. OR If Fang was into meditation as stated earlier in these threads, she may have read Look at the Lights, My Love, which is a "meditation on class and consumer culture, from 2022 Nobel laureate for literature, Annie Ernaux." Using the simple phrase almost exactly from the book's title in her text FANG could have been trying to let her loved ones know she was NOT having a really great time here for whatever reasons.

Wishing you answers.
Just my speculation looking for possible clues. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members