Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was the one who enlarged her lip photo and circled what I thought was either a cold sore or cut.

Please keep in mind that what we're seeing may be a medical issue she might have.

I've seen people get cold sores on their lips when they are stressed; here is more information.

ETA: Posting the photo again for Everyone's reference.

View attachment 454475

JMVHO.

I don't feel comfortable discussing her potential medical history, but I agree it looks more like a cold sore than anything else, else. And the stress of travel (including the very dry air in the plane) makes people get such a break-out. Your link is great. Also very dry in the Morongo/JT region as well (and lips get sunburned pretty easily, IME).

But I still can't say for sure that it's a cold sore. If it is, I wonder if the two of them were able to discuss it (if they were romantic partners).

I do not see any specific signs of an injury caused by someone else.

IMO.

I‘m wondering if they were able to recover JRF’s phone.

Did he have it on his person in the place his remains were found? Or in his pickup truck?

If in either of these two locations, could they have been so damaged by the extreme heat temperatures they’re not operable anymore? Would forensics still be able to retrieve data somehow?

Or, if out in the elements and a storm came through, would the water have damaged it or caused it to be buried?

Questions, questions.

My bad
All apologies
All around

Where is Fang Jin?

I didn't mean to address you personally in that last comment.

If Jin Fang's health were an issue brought up in MSM or relevant to the case, I think the conversation would be interesting - but I personally can't make comments about her health based on a selfie (in which there are several explanations). Nor can I say much about what went through my mind when I saw those photos - but I don't see any evidence of DV in those photos, was my point.

Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Did he have it on his person in the place his remains were found? Or in his pickup truck?

If in either of these two locations, could they have been so damaged by the extreme heat temperatures they’re not operable anymore? Would forensics still be able to retrieve data somehow?

Or, if out in the elements and a storm came through, would the water have damaged it or caused it to be buried?

Questions, questions.

IF his (active) phone is one of the 3 iPhones obtained in the search warrant, what would THAT mean to everyone????

Questions, questions.

Hold your laughs on my show of ignorance but is this an accurate statement:-
there’s basically 3 areas available for retrieving data associated with iPhone movements, online searches, communications and images: iCloud, SIM card and Google tracking?

So this article states that JF's remains were separated. There was a jawbone and skull separate from other remains nearby. Seems as if an animal had gotten to JF's remains and dragged them. It seems the truck was found some time before the hiker found the remains.
"The man who said he found the bones told CBS8 the remains were located in Harper Canyon several miles away from Harper's Flats. He also said an officer who responded to the scene told him F's truck had been found previously 'pretty wrecked'. The man did not know the exact date the truck had been found."
please notice in your comment JF has to be JRF otherwise people will think you mean Jin Fang instead of John Root Fitzpatrick

Hold your laughs on my show of ignorance but is this an accurate statement:-
there’s basically 3 areas available for retrieving data associated with iPhone movements, online searches, communications and images: iCloud, SIM card and Google tracking?

There's also GPS which is independent of Google tracking or cell pings.

When you say "movements" are you including the swiping of the phone or do you just mean where it is at the time?

Because the phone apparently records user generated movements (locking/unlocking; opening and closing apps, etc).

Google tracking includes GPS, use of Google maps, and Google searches - but the Google searches can be obtained independently from Google via warrant (and so can the GPS data that Google uses to generate maps for phone users).

The iCloud data/tracking can be disabled, although most people use it (and most may not realize they have it).

Google tracking only works if the iPhone user is using Google products. The endogenous map app is not Google, but I don't know anyone who has an iPhone who doesn't use it. Still, a person trying to cover their tracks might delete Google.

And hopefully, someone will add to this or correct me. There's a riveting podcast ("To Live and Die in L.A.") that helped me understand the powerful surveillance obtained through GPS and...through Google. The GPS cannot be turned off, IMO, even if one isn't actively using it, it's a passive service that's just part of the phone (same as with many modern vehicles - and JRF's truck should have had GPS as well).

<modsnip: There is no MSM, LE report. or other approved source to back this up.>

Last edited by a moderator:
That he went home after going to Thermal and Julian. Which is currently something I'm mulling over. And if he did so, that explains certain puzzling questions that I have.
I'm wondering if the last phone video sent from Fang's phone was sent by Fang. She had spoken with someone the day before so we know she was alive and well then, but is it possible that video wasn't sent by her?

When you say "movements" are you including the swiping of the phone or do you just mean where it is at the time?

Because the phone apparently records user generated movements (locking/unlocking; opening and closing apps, etc).

Google tracking includes GPS, use of Google maps, and Google searches - but the Google searches can be obtained independently from Google via warrant (and so can the GPS data that Google uses to generate maps for phone users).

The iCloud data/tracking can be disabled, although most people use it (and most may not realize they have it).

Google tracking only works if the iPhone user is using Google products. The endogenous map app is not Google, but I don't know anyone who has an iPhone who doesn't use it. Still, a person trying to cover their tracks might delete Google.

And hopefully, someone will add to this or correct me. There's a riveting podcast ("To Live and Die in L.A.") that helped me understand the powerful surveillance obtained through GPS and...through Google. The GPS cannot be turned off, IMO, even if one isn't actively using it, it's a passive service that's just part of the phone (same as with many modern vehicles - and JRF's truck should have had GPS as well).

<modsnip: There is no MSM, LE report, or other approved to back this up >
Have the remains been positively identified though? The articles I read stated that the teeth were missing so dental identification couldn't be done, and it seemed they identified the remains as JRF because of an identity card near the remains. Have they really concluded the remains are his? I'm not completely sure there's been any definitive conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO. Obviously, LE know quite a bit about his movements. I suspect they were preparing a homicide case against him when his body was identified. Now they can focus on the tough task of trying to reconstruct all of his movements from July 15th onward.

To Live and Die in LA is what I meant by Google, there’s a technical term used but I’m so not tech savvy.

That is an amazing podcast as is Up and Vanished- Tara Grinstead, which was my introduction to online true crime.

Have the remains been positively identified though? The articles I read stated that the teeth were missing so dental identification couldn't be done, and it seemed they identified the remains as JRF because of an identity card near the remains. Have they really concluded the remains are his? I'm not completely sure there's been any definitive conclusion.

Family was notified of the identity. I’m thinking since Medical Examiner has sealed the file those specific details are not currently publicly available, someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

I'm wondering if the last phone video sent from Fang's phone was sent by Fang. She had spoken with someone the day before so we know she was alive and well then, but is it possible that video wasn't sent by her?
There is indeed a possibility that that video was not taken by her but for example by a friend of John or by her but in a panic way or by her in a forced "ductaped" way ...

That he went home after going to Thermal and Julian. Which is currently something I'm mulling over. And if he did so, that explains certain puzzling questions that I have.
we assume that 3 iphones are old not used phones of John.... Fang had a HUAWEI phone , about 4000 US$ cash and 3 credit cards

So I did find the divorce proceedings with JRF and his wife. They began in June of 2020 and I'm not sure what happened, but he filed again in Feb 2023. The misdemeanor vandalism charge was filed in August of that same year of the initial divorce proceedings of 2020. Here are the links.
The divorce proceedings:

And the vandalism charge:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members