Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SEARCH WARRANT(s)? Weren't there 2 search warrants? They have 2 different SW#s & 2 different dates.
FIRST SW on 8/1/23 taking 12 items, mostly FJ's items.
Second SW on 8/3/23, taking Living Room & the 3 iPhone cell phones.

1697694963938.png

2nd search warrant Pg 12 of 12 8/03/23, items taken: 100-living room, 101-3 iPhone cell phones
Did they take the whole Living Room????? Maybe furniture only for decomposition testing?
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 11.57.17 PM.jpeg

IIRC ImNobody pointed out her lips in thread #1
Wasn't me. In this thread #2, I only commented/agreed about the left side of her face looking swollen; however, thanks for the credit. I thought it was a good catch whoever pointed it out first. I read the comments as concern about FJ's well-being, not about her natural beautiful appearance. MOO.

Cold sore lip discussion in thread #1 was around here:

All MOO

SEARCH WARRANT(s)? Weren't there 2 search warrants? They have 2 different SW#s & 2 different dates.
FIRST SW on 8/1/23 taking 12 items, mostly FJ's items.
Second SW on 8/3/23, taking Living Room & the 3 iPhone cell phones.

View attachment 454367

2nd search warrant Pg 12 of 12 8/03/23, items taken: 100-living room, 101-3 iPhone cell phones
Did they take the whole Living Room????? Maybe furniture only for decomposition testing?
View attachment 454363

All MOO

Yah there were two - second one, all info therein sealed

Search warrant mentioned SD card from Ring Cam. As someone who owns Ring Cams, the photos of JF cleaning look like they were taken from a Ring Cam.

Regarding statement in Search Warrant "Deputies were in the Roadrunner Mobile Home Park and spoke to Fitzpatrick, who had an unknown Asian female with him." I believe this sentence was tacked on the end. (My personal opinion from reading many many police reports.) And that it does not correlate to a specific date. Likely possibility is one of the deputies who went to serve the search warrant remembered being in the area previously (on patrol, responding to an unrelated call, etc) and spoke to JRF. It is very common for a patrolling deputy to stop and talk to someone who is outside.

Regarding skeletonization...this is an excellent article. Temperature and humidity play a huge factor. The storm that went through likely spend up the process. In general, according to the graphic, it would be 100-150 days to skeletonization on average for this area. With the rate accelerated, it would fall within the timeframe if he died at the same time he and JF were thought to have gone missing.

Regarding July 24th phone ping. The SBCSD specifically said they are unable to confirm this ping. Since the information was reported in the Chinese media based off hearsay from a family member, who was told by a park ranger, who was told by a law enforcement officer...I would say this information should not be heavily relied upon. While I do believe the ping likely occurred given it generally corresponds with the area he was found, the date could be incorrect, as well as the exact location.

“The missing person case for Fang Jin remains open. There are no updates at this time. The investigators are aware of the video and believe it was the last communication Jin’s family received from her. We did not receive any phone pings from Jin’s phone,” San Bernardino Sheriff spokesperson Mara Rodriguez wrote.
Additionally, the spokesperson said she could not confirm reports that John Fitzpatrick's cell phone last pinged in Julian.

The search warrant was signed by Tyler Bengard. Does anyone else recognize this name? He was the Detective on another case and I can't place which case at the moment.

Search warrant mentioned SD card from Ring Cam. As someone who owns Ring Cams, the photos of JF cleaning look like they were taken from a Ring Cam.

Regarding statement in Search Warrant "Deputies were in the Roadrunner Mobile Home Park and spoke to Fitzpatrick, who had an unknown Asian female with him." I believe this sentence was tacked on the end. (My personal opinion from reading many many police reports.) And that it does not correlate to a specific date. Likely possibility is one of the deputies who went to serve the search warrant remembered being in the area previously (on patrol, responding to an unrelated call, etc) and spoke to JRF. It is very common for a patrolling deputy to stop and talk to someone who is outside.

Regarding skeletonization...this is an excellent article. Temperature and humidity play a huge factor. The storm that went through likely spend up the process. In general, according to the graphic, it would be 100-150 days to skeletonization on average for this area. With the rate accelerated, it would fall within the timeframe if he died at the same time he and JF were thought to have gone missing.

Regarding July 24th phone ping. The SBCSD specifically said they are unable to confirm this ping. Since the information was reported in the Chinese media based off hearsay from a family member, who was told by a park ranger, who was told by a law enforcement officer...I would say this information should not be heavily relied upon. While I do believe the ping likely occurred given it generally corresponds with the area he was found, the date could be incorrect, as well as the exact location.

“The missing person case for Fang Jin remains open. There are no updates at this time. The investigators are aware of the video and believe it was the last communication Jin’s family received from her. We did not receive any phone pings from Jin’s phone,” San Bernardino Sheriff spokesperson Mara Rodriguez wrote.
Additionally, the spokesperson said she could not confirm reports that John Fitzpatrick's cell phone last pinged in Julian.

The search warrant was signed by Tyler Bengard. Does anyone else recognize this name? He was the Detective on another case and I can't place which case at the moment.

Tbh I really think they need to have a long talk with the friend who reported him missing. He's the ONLY one to step forward and it might be that he thinks he'd be the last to be questioned as a result....

Eta: I am sure there is a LOT more we don't know, and will be out in due course- I am impressed at the local LE, their silence doesn't mean they're not working on the case!

This is great reminder for when we express frustration with LE for not investigating a missing person.

We need to chat and catch.

Hyperlocal article.
Very helpful timeline. Made me more aware of how brief the time was between returning from camping at Joshua Tree, and her disappearance. I think the cleaning pics must have been in that narrow window of time.

JMO

BBM
FWIW

FYI: I’ve searched but can’t locate thread with info listing manufacture of Jin’s cell phone device but it’s not an iPhone.

It's been reported that she had a Chinese brand phone (can't remember how to spell it, someone will know) and a Chinese carrier.

However, since the LE spokesperson says "no pings" after the 21st, I assume that LE has her device information and was able to check.

And as for JRF's phone pinging in Julian (and that not being confirmed to LE), it stands to reason that someone (perhaps a ranger, as reported) did investigate pings to that cell tower - because it is entirely too coincidental that he's eventually found just 20 miles or so from that tower. Somehow, someone knew he went down that way.

If anyone remembers the status (now) of the findings in the Thermal campground, I'd appreciate a reminder. I thought we learned yesterday that there was some kind of sighting or surveillance there - but wasn't it just for his truck? We can assume he was driving it, as he was still near it when it was found, but we still have no confirmation (do we?) of Fang being there.

IMO.

Excellent idea, totally makes sense to me, especially given whatever is hanging up beside it.

If so, LE would know a lot more than just those photos.

I agree with other post: never assume that LE silence means they aren't doing anything!

JMO

It's been reported that she had a Chinese brand phone (can't remember how to spell it, someone will know) and a Chinese carrier.

However, since the LE spokesperson says "no pings" after the 21st, I assume that LE has her device information and was able to check.

And as for JRF's phone pinging in Julian (and that not being confirmed to LE), it stands to reason that someone (perhaps a ranger, as reported) did investigate pings to that cell tower - because it is entirely too coincidental that he's eventually found just 20 miles or so from that tower. Somehow, someone knew he went down that way.

If anyone remembers the status (now) of the findings in the Thermal campground, I'd appreciate a reminder. I thought we learned yesterday that there was some kind of sighting or surveillance there - but wasn't it just for his truck? We can assume he was driving it, as he was still near it when it was found, but we still have no confirmation (do we?) of Fang being there.

IMO.
Our VI has said Fang had a Huawei phone.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ssing-30-jul-‘23.686274/page-55#post-18548467

And regarding the Thermal, CA sighting, on Sunday our VI said:
”Morongo Sheriff found surveillance camera pics of Johns Toyota in Thermal on 22nd of July.
And Joshua Parkranger teaced cellphone ping of John in Julian on 24th of july....”
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...dec-30-jul-‘23-2.692767/page-15#post-18560601

I think when asked, the Sheriff’s office won’t confirm those, but I don’t have the link, at the moment.

Last edited:

IMO.
As usual, spot on and I agree with your comments.

Speculation: The iPhones mentioned in Search Warrant are likely older phones belonging to JRF but the devices might potentially have info on communications during the past 6 months.

The info on facts we thought were accurate need another review, from the day she landed- the specifics of the truck being captured on CCTV is good starting point for backing into the Thermal and Julian connections. The details of a Park Ranger originated from a source with knowledge of investigation, which makes me think there’s some truth just not sure what.

Conflicting info on whether she traveled to Palm Springs the day after she arrived in Los Angles (friend dropped her off at hotel) or if she went on same day of arrival in California. CBS uncovered the details of hotel and the friend, although not confirmed by LE there’s appears now to be evidence supporting she traveled by bus the next day and met JRF.

Wasn’t it already confirmed that DH took those photos of Jin cleaning from his phone and gave them to LE?

Our VI has said Fang had a Huawei phone.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ssing-30-jul-‘23.686274/page-55#post-18548467

And regarding the Thermal, CA sighting, on Sunday our VI said:
”Morongo Sheriff found surveillance camera pics of Johns Toyota in Thermal on 22nd of July.
And Joshua Parkranger teaced cellphone ping of John in Julian on 24th of july....”
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ca-fang-jin-47-flew-to-la-from-china-train-to-palm-springs-morongo-basin-22-jul-2023-w- john-root-fitzpatrick-55-fnd-dec-30-jul-‘23-2.692767/page-15#post-18560601

I think when asked, the Sheriff’s office won’t confirm those, but I don’t have the link, at the moment.

Thank you so much! I trust our VI.

So, it's just the truck (without knowledge of occupant(s) that is seen in Thermal - but I think it's important. I still can't make a timeline make sense (due to the timing of the entry into the mobile home by LE - why was there the smell of decomp?)

I think our VI has also mentioned a sense of doubt about whether the last video sent by Jin Fang was actually sent by her. Maybe he can weigh in again. It stands to reason that it was her, since it was her phone and there is a message in Chinese with it. I don't think we have an answer to the question of whether JFR could write in Chinese. I find it hard to believe that he could do so, but absolutely no reason to believe I'm right.

It's very hard to put these facts together sensibly.

IMO

I was the one who enlarged her lip photo and circled what I thought was either a cold sore or cut.

Please keep in mind that what we're seeing may be a medical issue she might have.

I've seen people get cold sores on their lips when they are stressed; here is more information.

ETA: Posting the photo again for Everyone's reference.

fjPossibleCut_1500_Circled.png

JMVHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads