Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it was a typo, since the investigation seems to have really gotten going (warrants and requests for surveillance) in that first week of August.

I'm very curious about the point of that, otherwise, as well. Was duct tape the only thing he bought? We probably have to wait quite a while to know the answer.
I don't think it's a typo. I think the police saw the receipt dated 7/3 for the duct tape when they searched JRF's trailer. Then they went to the PX and checked out the security footage from that date.

Obviously duct tape is one of those items that sets off an investigator's radar, but it could very well just be a coincidence. The other man seen with JRF left with the tape, so JRF could have just been doing him a favor to get discounted pricing.

This map is taken from an off-road site with the main trails in the desert area. That huge grey area in the center is Harper Flat. But @mark1969 says the truck was found in Pinion Wash, a commonly used trail but not at all commonly used in late July when the temps are over 110 degrees. Speculation: If the truck became disabled, would JRF tell FJ to stay in the truck while he walked for help? Was the air conditioning working in the truck or was the truck not running? How long could FJ run the air conditioning before the truck was out of gas? Then, what would FJ do if JRF had not returned for say, 12 to 24 hours? Would she have ventured out on her own? The truck does not look like 4-wheel drive to me (but it could be, I am no expert).

@mark1969 do you have any info on the date the truck was found in Pinion Wash?

Apparently a local nickname for one of the drops in Pinion Wash is "Heart Attack Hill". Here's a video of someone trying to descend the trail in a 4x4. Looks pretty dicey unless your vehicle is properly equipped and you know what you're doing.

I know that that often off-roading clubs will tackle trails like these as a group, so someone can act as a spotter and there's always extra vehicles to bail out anyone in trouble.

Could they have gone by themselves and met with an accident?

My mind jumped to another possible conclusions.

--His skull was found separated from the rest of the remains. We don't know how far away they were from each other but how does that happen? I don't think it could be from animals because IMO if that was the case, wouldn't the article mention the scattering of some of his other bones? In the pixelated picture of the headless skeleton featured in the news clip, even though you can't see a whole lot, the remains look pretty contained to a small area to me, not scattered about. Just my opinion.

--
(Snipped for focus)…Graphic Warning.

Would a self-inflicted gunshot to the head/mouth cause the separation? And the loss of teeth so they couldn’t compare dentals?

Apparently a local nickname for one of the drops in Pinion Wash is "Heart Attack Hill". Here's a video of someone trying to descend the trail in a 4x4. Looks pretty dicey unless your vehicle is properly equipped and you know what you're doing.

I know that that often off-roading clubs will tackle trails like these as a group, so someone can act as a spotter and there's always extra vehicles to bail out anyone in trouble.

Could they have gone by themselves and met with an accident?

Heart Attack Hill is also known as Pinyon Drop Off on this map. The entrance to that trail is from HWY S2 to the West as seen on the map. Pinyon Wash is seen to the North on this map. However, the word "pinyon" is used for several different locations all over that area. Not sure you can even drive a vehicle from Pinyon Wash through to Harper Flats. Maybe a desert expert can help explain?

Attachments

• anza off road map.JPG
    anza off road map.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 22
Were the remains found 6 to 8 weeks after the last known sighting of JRF?

If so, is that amount of decomp normal (especially in a mostly dry environment)? If that is the skull shown in the video, I don't see hair at all.

It just seems fast to me for such extensive decomp. (But I do not have knowledge in that area.) MOO.

Thanks, the video didn’t play in my region so I wasn’t able to watch it.

I get the feeling that the footage of FJ cleaning were taken from concern more than anything. Maybe it did trigger the visit from LE.

Also, in the car photo does FJ’s mouth look swollen on one side?

Maybe better screenshots this time from the video:

View attachment 454261
I always wondered if she had been hit in the face sometime before this picture. :( I noticed the swollen lip and what appears to be heavy make-up over bruising of the eye. I know it's not the best photo quality and it could just be a pixelated image, but it gave me pause. Anyone else?

Also, could she be cleaning because she thought the place smelled bad (decomp smell)? Just some thoughts.

Wow this is all very confusing as to what happened from the 22nd to the 1st and what the decomp smell could be. i'd think with a decomp smell wouldn't they likely find something somewhere to indicate what left the scent at some point.

I am confused about who took the photos of her cleaning and why. Why did his friend have the phots of her cleaning? Who was the guy he was seen giving the duct tape too in early July. Where is that guy now. If he was on base too outside the exchange then how did he get on post.. was he military or did JRF bring him one base?

If something happened to one of them in that house and the truck was used to transport them, then surely a dog could pick up the decomp on the truck even if it had rained and washed away blood or other fluids?

Thank you @vls12345 for posting these. The last photo with the blocked out bones appears to be a fire-ring with the bones in the center. An animal or flood water could have separated/dragged the skull away from the body. but I am wondering why JRF would be in the center of a fire ring? No weapon can be seen in the fire ring photo. Was one ever found?

Also In an early photo of Fang wearing a striped blue tee & Fitzpatrick in the car, recall: JRF was smiling with teeth showing and seemed to have nice teeth. Sorry, I cannot find that striped shirt photo in this thread but it was one of the early ones Fang sent her family, I believe. So what could knock out his teeth? punch/hit in the mouth? gunshot? animal? rock elements? I also thought Fang's face looked swollen/or stroke victim on that one side when I first saw the last photo of them in car -- blue shirt..

Re: Fang cleaning the floor. It seems Fang was possibly the best houseguest ever. We know there was a lot of sand on JRF's boots in the photo of him standing next to the car. Fang may have done the floor cleaning and the laundry (there's a laundry basket in that same photo) as a thank you for allowing her to stay there. Just more insight into how gracious and kind she is.

I'm sorry these are not the answers hoped for.
MOO.
edit for clarity.

Thank you @vls12345 for posting these. The last photo with the blocked out bones appears to be a fire-ring with the bones in the center. An animal or flood water could have separated/dragged the skull away from the body. but I am wondering why JRF would be in the center of a fire ring? No weapon can be seen in the fire ring photo.

Also In an early photo of Fang wearing a striped blue tee & Fitzpatrick in the car, recall: JRF was smiling with teeth showing and seemed to have nice teeth. Sorry, I cannot find that striped shirt photo in this thread but it was one of the early ones Fang went her family, I believe. So what could knock out his teeth? punch/hit in the mouth? gunshot? animal? rock elements? I also thought Fang's face looked swollen/or stroke victim on that one side when I first saw it.

Re: Fang cleaning the floor. It seems Fang was possibly the best houseguest ever. We know there was a lot of sand on JRF's boots in the photo of him standing next to the car. Fang may have done the floor cleaning and the laundry (there's a laundry basket in that same photo) as a thank you for allowing her to stay there. Just more insight into how gracious and kind she is.

I'm sorry these are not the answers hoped for.
MOO.
I was thinking the same thing about the rocks looking like a fire ring possibly. It's starting to feel like something awful happened to both of them and not at the hands of JRF. I hope they've talked to every one of his neighbors in that trailer park. Who usually came and went from that home. Did anyone live with him or stay from time to time.

It appears to me that Fang is just doing normal cleaning. Maybe JRF wasn't the most tidy person (sometimes single fellas aren't as tidy as maybe ladies would be) and she was just doing some laundry and cleaning up a bit. If nothing awful had happened, I don't think those photos would cause any alarm.

Scent of decomp --

What if the decomp was from JRF's body? His body is dumped, never to be found, while FJ is abducted.

Alarming all around.

I'm glad LE has been hot on this case all along --

JMO

I don't think it was coincidence that LE made contact with JRF and (presumably) FJ on the date FJ was last seen alive. But we'll see.
If a welfare check, surely they'd have at least spoken with her, engaged in some minor way even.... document only presumes his companion was Fang.

edit to add since I didn't want to take up another whole post...

Of course I wasn't saying Fang's family should have been told everything about an Investigation taking place BUT they weren't even told that there WAS an investigation!! Nothing

Had they just known the Police were actually looking into her disappearance instead of being told she'd gone off on her own accord then they wouldn't have wasted $$$ paying a PI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members