GUILTY CA - Gavin Smith, 57, Oak Park, 1 May 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
All news media make mistakes in reporting occasionally, and some, like on cable TV actually fabricate entire lies out of nothing, so we all just need to have our antennas up for truth vs. lies and read/listen to other sources. Since we're adults here, we can decide for ourselves if the story seems reliable or not and then go into 'wait and see' mode.

When I think how many times the Natl. Enquirer was the first to publish an amazing true story vs. the times they've been sued; I still figure they've nailed it. They've been correct sooooo many times in the 30 yrs I have read them and way before other media had anything on it.

BTW: The Nat. Enquirer and The Globe are two totally different rags.

Not directed at you Libra, just a jumping off spot. One way to help the mods out is to always link your factual statements. If you can't link them, then be sure to let others know that it is just your opinion. By providing a link, you not only backup your comments/speculation, but it makes it easy for the mods to make sure the comments/speculation is on track.
Salem

Thanks, Salem. I'll try to do that, but this thread at 26 pages and growing, plus I have another life, so trying to back-track through 3 Google linked pages of articles on Gavin, or this entire thread to find and post a link again, takes too much time. So I don't post as much as I might.

I'll try to link my comments to old articles in the future, but "in my opinion", may be best for me, having just started a new job.

You can also use the search function at the top of the thread and the media thread to help find links.

Why didn't Lisa post this new wealth of info on the family website?

http://findgavinsmith.com/

~jmo~

Good question. I can't imagine how I would react in such difficult circumstances, nor can I pretend to understand the life of this family leading up to the disappearance. I only know that my belief is that ALL families have some level of dysfunction, mine included. The 'perfect family' ideal that is often portrayed as what we should strive for only leads to disappointment and disillusionment, and sometimes worse when one cannot accept the shortcomings in one's own situation. I believe that if more of us were open and honest about the struggles we have endured and are still facing, others might not feel as isolated and alone in their despair during their own tribulations. If the DM story quoting LS was an accurate accounting of what that family was dealing with, I applaud her honesty. Hiding or denying those parts of their story, if true, cannot help find Gavin. JMHO

Why hasn't Lisa shared more about her personal life & marriage? Could be many reasons. I tend to overshare, but some people are more private. Not to mention how much grief over their marriage plus grief over Gavin missing, and frustration over the lack of answers Lisa must be going through.

In general, missing men get far less attention than missing children or women. Add in suspicion that he might've just run off or details that make someone think poorly of the missing person, and you see far less interest or concern by the public. WS is victim friendly and doesn't allow bashing of the victims or rumors abt them or others (some other sites do, but I appreciate WS high standards), yet we've sadly seen that rear its head in this case. Far fewer posters visit this thread than many cases - there's just less concern & connection, IMO. LE and others may have warned her that publicizing his faults would cause people to turn a blind eye to his case. No one's perfect; we can find flaws in people that go missing, like the Long Island serial killer case, but every person matters; what's important is that they're missing and need to be found. For their own good, the family's, etc. And from Lisa's interviews, I think she wants the focus on finding him.

I'm sure she's fully informed LE. Many articles make it sound like LE and the family are working very closely and communicating with each other. As long as LE has all the info, they can determine what's important to release, what'd be a distraction or impediment, and what'd be detrimental to public attention, the case, or a potential future trial. 20 search warrants sounds like LE's being pretty thorough, IMO. From the AMW write-ups, it sounds like LE may be ready to release a little more. There can be a lot of frustration when there are unanswered questions in these cases, but as long as the investigators have the info, that's what's important. After watching the Casey Anthony debacle, I'm ok with less is more!

Moo

I think most people consider a POI to be male simply because of Gavin's size. He is 6ft.6! If Gavin was murdered, body disposal for a man that size for a man would be very difficult, nearly impossible for the average woman.

jmo
SBM

Good point! We'd noted some time ago that John Creech is 6'1" and close in weight - fairly evenly matched, IMO.

Regarding John, here's the quote from Teola, his defense attorney:

"I'm just letting sleeping dogs lie; they haven't asked me anything, requested anything," says Teola.
link BBM

Here's the preceding paraphrase:

Teola notes that his client was not questioned by police and has not been contacted by the investigators since his house was searched.

So, are they extrapolating that from the quote, or was there a statement they chose not to quote?? It'd be interesting to know.

That sentence is also written a bit ambiguously. It seems to mean that following the house search, Creech wasn't contacted or questioned. Was he questioned prior to the execution of the first search warrant for their phones? At the time it was executed? After the first warrant, but prior to the second?

It's also interesting what Teola doesn't say. He doesn't say his client has no connection to Gavin, doesn't say LE has no interest in John irt Gavin's case, doesn't say Creech is not a POI, etc. He could've said those things, but he didn't.

Some think John wasn't ever a POI. We've had that conversation multiple times. Some think he's not now because of Teola's statement. I think he was and very well may still be. We don't know yet if Gavin was murdered; until we know that, we can't know who the suspects would be. There may be multiple POI's, one POI, or none right now. IMO, we can't know which is the case unless LE decides to release that info.

Moo

A gun is a great equalizer and most often the weapon of choice when committing a crime; therefore, Gavin's size is unimportant if he met with foul play and a gun.

I don't think we need to consider the size of people like in an unarmed bar fight here, since that would have come out already, if that were the case, in my opinion.

Women hire people to kill men just as men do to kill women or other men. Did you miss the woman found guilty of hiring a hitman (LE) to kill her husband in FLA in May 2011?

<modsnip> Only Chandie, her kids and the older woman were in that house that night, by all accounts (and in my opinion) based on all the media reports thus far.

Gavin disappeared after 10 pm, so the leaving the raided home to meet him some where would certainly be possible in my opinion.

<modsnip>. He was not spoken to by LE according to media accounts <modsnip>.

A gun is a great equalizer and most often the weapon of choice when committing a crime; therefore, Gavin's size is unimportant if he met with foul play and a gun.

I don't think we need to consider the size of people like in an unarmed bar fight here, since that would have come out already, if that were the case, in my opinion.

Women hire people to kill men just as men do to kill women or other men. Did you miss the woman found guilty of hiring a hitman (LE) to kill her husband in FLA in May 2011?

<modsnip> Only Chandie, her kids and the older woman were in that house that night, by all accounts (and in my opinion) based on all the media reports thus far.

Gavin disappeared after 10 pm, so the leaving the raided home to meet him some where would certainly be possible in my opinion.

Gavin's size isn't unimportant if a gun was used. :waitasec: If he's been murdered :(, his body has been concealed. Moving any adult body would be hard for one woman to do, much less someone the size of Gavin. If it was murder, it could involve one man, one woman, a man & a woman, multiple men, multiple women, or a group of men & women. No one "missed" that possibility, but that's a pretty rude way to state something. Yes, someone could've hired a hit man, or had his cronies in the drug trade take care of a problem, for example. There are multiple possibilities. I hope LE is a lot closer to knowing what happened than we are!

Of course someone could've met Gavin somewhere, or jumped him, lured him, driven him off the road, abducted then harmed him, etc.

Nothing has ever stated John Creech was never spoken to about Gavin??

Moo

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gavin-smith-missing-fox-exec-369719

"Teola notes that his client was not questioned by police and has not been contacted by the investigators since his house was searched. "I'm just letting sleeping dogs lie; they haven't asked me anything, requested anything," says Teola."

So.. Folks here really think that if John Creech were a POI in Gavin's disappearance, LE would NOT have at least spoken with John C. OR his lawyer, Teola, in the previous 5 months? In my opinion, that's absurd.

Yeah, sure he's now in prison, so he's not going anywhere, but it's doubtful that they would not have wanted to at least speak with him and/or his lawyer if they had any reason to believe he might know something/anything about what happened the night Gavin disappeared. This is why he is so NOT a POI, in my opinion.

Has anyone thought about the fact they Gavin maybe have been cheating on his wife with other women besides Chandrika? <modsnip>? John Creech has a recurring past but none of us can say that he's involved in this case besides his soon to be exwife.

Looks like John Creech's supposed relative, Beastman, <modsnip>, knew something about Gavin long before we did. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...life-affairs-drugs----fears-hes-murdered.html

Lisa said, "That&#8217;s when I discovered a new mistress called Melanie. He seemed to be setting her and her kids up in a new home. We had furious rows."

Funny, I didn't hear a British accent in this printed article.

I'm not inclined to take a defense attorney's word for much, or a paraphrased statement.

If John was not questioned, there could be multiple reasons why. LE may have spoken to him about Gavin multiple times prior to the second search. That interaction, coupled with how their interaction went with him irt to his long, drug out court case, his filing an appeal during that case, etc may have led them to consider him uncooperative & stonewalling, so questioning after the second search might've been considered futile. If they found him cooperative at all, seems they would've spoken to him if they suspected someone else in his household as well...

If he's not a POI, his lawyer did him a stunning disservice by not saying that.

Moo

I'm not inclined to take a defense attorney's word for much, or a paraphrased statement.
If he's not a POI, his lawyer did him a stunning disservice by not saying that.
Moo

Then we should just ignore ALL media reports on this case since EVERYONE could be lying. I read Teola's quote as LE never, at any time, asked him or John about this case. I also never read any British accents in that Daily Mail article.

Guess we just read stuff differently. However, I do believe pretty much everything Beastman tried to post here.

His lawyer did not need to refute something (POI) that was never charged of his client. Think Nixon, "I am not a crook!"

Defense attorneys aren't often known as beacons of truth. As far as the media, most of us who've followed cases for awhile know that they often get details wrong. Like in Jessica Ridgeway's case, they said the man who found her backpack just posted it on listserv, then they reported he emailed police, then LE clarified he didn't know it was related to a missing case, posted it to an electronic billboard, someone contacted him via email to call police, so he dialed 911. All that to say actual video of what happened or was said is best, or direct quotes from LE, etc. Reading critically is a must in these cases (and in life), IMO.

When mods delete comments or posts, their content is off limits for discussion as it broke WS TOS.

The media and the public have been discussing LE's focus on John for months. Seems to me it'd have been smart to directly say he has no connection, is not a POI, etc to end the speculation. He didn't. IMO that's because he knows that's not the case. But we can disagree on that.

Moo

Apparently JC was sentenced on Sep 25th for 2,920 days... *** ***** *****

Booking No.: 3201351 ***** Last Name: CREECH ***** First Name: JOHN ***** Middle Name: LANZIE

Sex: M ***** Race: W ***** Date Of Birth: 07/22/1972 ***** Age: 39 ***** Hair: BLK ***** Eyes: BRO ***** Height: 601 ***** Weight: 195

Charge Level: F **(Felony)

ARREST
Arrest Date: 06/21/2012 ***** Arrest Time: 1045 ***** Arrest Agency: 9023 ***** Agency Description: SUPR CRT-CLARA SHORTRIDGE FOLTZ (CJ

Date Booked: 06/21/2012 ***** Time Booked: 1123 ***** Booking Location: S126 ***** Location Description: CRT - L A SUPERIOR DEPT 126

BAIL
Total Bail Amount: 0 ***** Total Hold Bail Amount: 0.00 ***** Grand Total: 0.00

HOUSING LOCATION
Housing Location: CJ

Permanent Housing Assigned Date: 10/09/2012 ***** Assigned Time: 2012 ***** Visitor Status: N

Facility: MEN'S CENTRAL JAIL
Address: 441 BAUCHET STREET ***** City: LOS ANGELES

Public Visiting Guidelines ***** Facility Visiting Schedule

For County facility visiting hours, Please call (213) 473-6080 at Inmate Information Center.

COURT
Next Court Code: S126 ***** Next Court Date: 09/25/2012 ***** Next Court Time: 0830 ***** Next Court Case: BA36799501

Court Name: L A SUPERIOR COURT DEPT 126
Court Address: 210 W. TEMPLE STREET ***** Court City: LOS ANGELESUPT

RELEASE
Projected Release Date: 05/22/2016 *****

CASE INFORMATION
Case No. Court Name Court Address Court City Bail Amt. Fine Amt. Court Date Sent. Date Sent. Day(s) Disp Code
BA36799501 L A SUPERIOR COURT DEPT 126 * 210 W. TEMPLE STREET * LOS ANGELESUPT* 0* .00* 09/25/2012* 09/25/2012* 2920* SENT*
Click on specific Case No. for detailed information.

*** Case No.: ***BA36799501 ***

Court Name: L A SUPERIOR COURT DEPT 126
Court Address: 210 W. TEMPLE STREET *** Court City: LOS ANGELESUPT

Bail Amount: 0 *** Fine Amount: .00

Court Date: 09/25/2012 *** Sentence Date: 09/25/2012 *** Number of days Sentenced: 2920

Disposition Code: SENT *** Disposition Description: CASE ADJUDICATED

"Being his flesh and blood, I have hope, but I have nobody," says Tara Addeo, the sister of Smith. "I have no car and I have no cell phone, but the reality is, I think he's gone."
Ok this quote does not match the video of Tara at the link: She says (while sobbing) "I have hope because I have no body, and I have no car, and I have no cellphone..."

"There are a lot of scenarios out there," Addeo says. "None of them look good, though."

She spoke with Smith the night before he vanished. "He was upset," Addeo says. "The two of them were separated, and he was upset about how the relationship was going with his children. He was concerned, he was just a concerned dad. He could have walked away. I don't believe he did. He loved his sons way too much."

Regarding Gavin's story on AMW this Friday:

New details in the investigation are expected to be unveiled.
link

Published last night.

On the video, she also says, "There are people who know more than they're saying. Because somebody knows something. Even if he's alive, somebody knows something." More on video. It looks like they chopped up her comments. Sitting crying, standing composed, sitting crying...

(Sobbing) "But I don't really know 100% what's happened to him, and until I actually know, I can't
rest." IMO, she probably said this portion after "the reality is, I think he's gone." :waitasec:

I wish reporters would get quotes right! (Just saw the same thing in Jessica Ridgeway's case.) The video is linked right next to the misquote. :doh:

Family probably doesn't read here, but just in case, thanks Tara for speaking out! Praying for Gavin and his family!

ETA: yay! They fixed the misquote at link above. :). Glad to see Gavin get coverage and conscientious reporters.

"It's sad reading the comments that people make," Addeo said.

We want to find out what happened to him," Lisa Smith said in the interview. "We'd love it to be some good ending, but I don't think that's possible.”
more here

Brief video of Tara, and clip of Lisa from upcoming AMW episode.

For the first time, Lisa Smith says that she suspects foul play in her husband’s May disappearance, telling Inside Edition that she believes Gavin was murdered.

“I know him well. There’s nothing on earth that would keep him from coming back to take care of his family,” says Lisa. “I just don’t picture him walking in and saying, ‘I’m sorry; I just needed a breather.’ I’m prepared for the worst.”

Speaking with Inside Edition, Lisa opened up about Gavin’s extramarital affairs and his history of drug use. Lisa says she initially kept the information closely guarded in order to protect their children from embarrassment.

“I love my husband,” she says. “The not so pretty aspects, I would have preferred to be kept to myself… he didn’t mean for this to happen. For him to disappear off this earth… I’m devastated. I’m a mess. My hair’s falling out. I’m losing weight trying to support my family.”

She adds: “I was quiet out of respect for my family and respect for the investigation.”
link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaborde2576
Back