GUILTY CA - Gianni, 24, & Sal Belvedere, 22, Ilona Flint, 22, San Diego, 24 Dec 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wish CM had shown these three kids the same mercy and consideration that the justice system is now showing him. :pullhair:

If nothing else, I hope that the faces of Gianni, Sal, and Ilona are the only things he sees in his mind everyday for the next three years and that his guilt sent him over the edge mentally.

:worms: What happens now? That question is like opening a can of worms. I'm finding all kinds of articles on this subject. The main objective is to get him competent to stand trial. I just heard on a news report that the average time is 6-12 mos. This is not a dismissal of charges. It will go to trial eventually. It must be very hard on the loved ones of the victims to have no justice or answers.

Do they have a Get well card to send to CM for this situation?
"Hey Dude, Get Well Soon so we can try you for Murder!"

About Patton State Hospital http://www.dsh.ca.gov/Patton/default.asp
"The Department of State Hospitals (DSH) - Patton is a major forensic mental hospital operated by the California Department of State Hospitals. It is located in San Bernardino, California, a community of approximately 181,000 people. The hospital was first opened in August 1, 1893."

"DSH - Patton is currently a forensic hospital with a licensed bed capacity of 1287 for patients who have been committed by the judicial system for treatment."

Mentally ill defendants languish in jail from lack of hospital space
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/01/04/2862256_mentally-ill-defendants-legal.html?rh=1

"With state hospitals backlogged, one solution has surfaced. In 2010, San Bernardino County was selected for a pilot program in which the jail contracts with a private provider to deliver the same mental health services incompetent inmates would get at a state hospital."

"Once declared incompetent, defendants no longer have to wait for a bed to open at a state hospital — instead they are immediately sent to the jail’s Restoration of Competency Program. The program, according to the Legislative Analyst’s Office, has reduced the amount of time needed to restore inmates to competency and has saved money."

"The state pays $278 per day to treat inmates in San Bernardino County compared to $450 per day at state hospitals. Riverside County has since created its own ROC program, and other counties are interested in pursuing it as well, Paglia said."

Patient's psychiatric hold stretches on for 14 years :eek:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/smith-514893-patton-mental.html

Here's the news video. I don't like when they say there's a chance he could never be competent to stand trial. How can this be?

Triple murder suspect not mentally competent to stand trial
http://www.cbs8.com/story/27192561/...rt=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10808552

Thank you for posting this Curious! The video info is what I was attempting to relay in my own cryptic way earlier. Also thank you for the links about Patton State Hospital.

I have no doubt that his mental state is preventing him from participating in a trial. Interesting that in the video that CBS captures only pictures of him looking lost when in fact we have seen otherwise...even at his sisters wedding.

IMO only I would think he is at least smart enough that as time goes by and any health that may be restored in Patton he could play dumb enough to always avoid a trial.

My heart goes out to the families of Gianni, Sal and Ilona as the holidays approach and knowing there will be no resolution coming soon.

CA - Gianni (24) & Sal (22) Belvedere, & Ilona Flint (22), San Diego, 23 Dec 2013
gianni_belvedere_new_1391810504356_2420556_ver1.0_320_240.jpg
RiNRpf1.jpg
BELVEDERE3_1390346399742_2099729_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

Gianni Belvedere

Bumping with Prayers. They are not forgotten. I hope we will see Justice someday in the near future.

Ironically I watch a documentary on cable this past weekend dealing with this exact subject. The documentary was not being filmed at Patton State Hospital. I believe it was filmed at Atascadero and thy were showing people who were found to be not competent to stand trail.

They would first get the patients stabilized on drugs ad then have mock trials with staff members acting a lawyers, judges, bailiffs, juries. The would put on the mock trials wile also explaining to the defendant what function everyone in the court room did. The guy I watched was a best case scenario and he was "Graduated" and was going to be sent back to court to stand his real trail.

It's a blessing in disguise. This gives the families some time to heal including Mercado's family and the DA's office an opportunity to build an even better case.

Well here it is 10 days later and Carlo Mercado remains in the PSU ward of San Diego Central jail. While I realize 10 days is not a lot it concerns me after reading the links Curious Me posted above.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/01/04/2862256_mentally-ill-defendants-legal.html?rh=1

As his client sat in jail, her mental condition so bad she couldn’t even be brought to the courtroom, attorney Ken Cirisan expressed frustration with California’s state hospitals.

The client, Hernandez, 49, was due for a mental health progress report from Patton State Hospital. But even though Hernandez was found mentally incompetent to stand trial on Oct. 7, 2013, more than two months later, she hadn’t even been sent to Patton for her court-ordered treatment.

I hope this type of delay or even longer is not the case with CM. The families still need closure and don't deserve for this to drag on for months or years. MOO

http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wijDetail.aspx?BookNum=1tS8TGeuIBNrUMOSHOohg8hA+j6jsdPv31O/9EGZiGE=

Oh and I miss chatting with you all! :loveyou:

I thought even when at Patton you're still considered in custody? I've been thinking about it lately and talked to Antoinette quite a few times and I just can't imagine what they are going through. I've always admired how strong the immediate family is and I wish everyone had the chance to experience what I did and just the genuine raw emotions and still staying strong enough to see this through and they still have compassion for the Mercado family and now more than ever I hope CM gets the death penalty. At first I thought okay he is mentally ill and he is sick but I feel like I was naive. The amount of elaborate planning that went into this whole tragedy to say there was premeditation is an understatement. I believe Gianni was killed the same way Sal and Ilona were where he walked up to vulnerable victims and shot at close range with his homemade silencer. He meticulously planned a trip to Riverside with Gianni in his own trunk with his pants pulled down to his ankles stripped of even more dignity while decomposition was well into the process. I can't even imagine the smell for that trip I had mushrooms that had gone bad after 2 days and that smell was terrible I just don't understand how someone is considered incompetent but trying to hide the odor of decomposition sounds like a competent minded solution to his problem he knew at that time he was doing something wrong and he knew there was cosequences. CM bought a car in Riverside from Craigslist. I am not sure if he bought the car before or after he thoughtfully backed Gianni's car into a parking space and gets pulled over a few days later (not sure how long Gianni's car was parked there for but I think it was only a few days maximum) CM gets pulled over and of course he appears out of it he probably thought they must have known it was him and he had just been caught anyone would have seemed off in that position. I wonder if he had taken his precious guns with him to Riverside or if he had even been home before Gianni was found or was he actually on his trip back. Then this murderer goes on about his life for 6 months working, spending time with family, and other day to day things sound pretty competent to me. CM even had the audacity to put the tape he had left over in the household garage where he lived. He had more compassion for the tape than he did for 3 people in the beginning of their adult lives. I just don't have compassion for this guy and I really don't feel like he should deserve to live in prison forever for the sake of his family. I am sure they love him but he is a monster and I don't see that type of criminal rehabiliting. I am emotionally biased on this case because I have witnessed the victims family get trashed in the media, the victims get trashed, I've seen the nasty things people would comment on the news sites, and all of the focus on the victims and their families but what about the Mercado family? Why isn't the media trying to figure out what went wrong over there instead of assuming the victims must have somehow caused their own deaths. Okay I'm done venting I'll fix my grammar later when I get to a comp :)

I thought even when at Patton you're still considered in custody? I've been thinking about it lately and talked to Antoinette quite a few times and I just can't imagine what they are going through. I've always admired how strong the immediate family is and I wish everyone had the chance to experience what I did and just the genuine raw emotions and still staying strong enough to see this through and they still have compassion for the Mercado family and now more than ever I hope CM gets the death penalty. At first I thought okay he is mentally ill and he is sick but I feel like I was naive. The amount of elaborate planning that went into this whole tragedy to say there was premeditation is an understatement. I believe Gianni was killed the same way Sal and Ilona were where he walked up to vulnerable victims and shot at close range with his homemade silencer. He meticulously planned a trip to Riverside with Gianni in his own trunk with his pants pulled down to his ankles stripped of even more dignity while decomposition was well into the process. I can't even imagine the smell for that trip I had mushrooms that had gone bad after 2 days and that smell was terrible I just don't understand how someone is considered incompetent but trying to hide the odor of decomposition sounds like a competent minded solution to his problem he knew at that time he was doing something wrong and he knew there was cosequences. CM bought a car in Riverside from Craigslist. I am not sure if he bought the car before or after he thoughtfully backed Gianni's car into a parking space and gets pulled over a few days later (not sure how long Gianni's car was parked there for but I think it was only a few days maximum) CM gets pulled over and of course he appears out of it he probably thought they must have known it was him and he had just been caught anyone would have seemed off in that position. I wonder if he had taken his precious guns with him to Riverside or if he had even been home before Gianni was found or was he actually on his trip back. Then this murderer goes on about his life for 6 months working, spending time with family, and other day to day things sound pretty competent to me. CM even had the audacity to put the tape he had left over in the household garage where he lived. He had more compassion for the tape than he did for 3 people in the beginning of their adult lives. I just don't have compassion for this guy and I really don't feel like he should deserve to live in prison forever for the sake of his family. I am sure they love him but he is a monster and I don't see that type of criminal rehabiliting. I am emotionally biased on this case because I have witnessed the victims family get trashed in the media, the victims get trashed, I've seen the nasty things people would comment on the news sites, and all of the focus on the victims and their families but what about the Mercado family? Why isn't the media trying to figure out what went wrong over there instead of assuming the victims must have somehow caused their own deaths. Okay I'm done venting I'll fix my grammar later when I get to a comp :)

Let me start by saying miss you BITW :blowkiss:

Above BBM

Without a doubt CM has/had some serious mental challenges. Was he competent when he carried out these murders we may never know but I for one believe he was. Unfortunately now he has been declared incompetent to stand trial so I think the snapping point was being arrested. IMO he knew exactly what he was doing at the time of the murders.

I personally did not see the family getting trashed in the media. Of course I was privy to a few more things than the normal local. Was the family caught of guard by reports in the media...absolutely YES! Which was a shame. Same with the comments on the online media reports, yes it was ugly but they don't call people who post disrespectful comments Trolls for nothing. They are friggen everywhere!!! :gasp:

I think of the family a lot and especially during this time of year when everything will feel fresh and painful again for them. It breaks my heart...

Warm hellos. We have been through a lot together this year waiting for Justice. Looks like we'll have to wait for it a little longer.

I agree that we know nothing about CM and why he gets to be protected in the privacy of his mental illness when we know way too much about the victims that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the unknown motive.

Unknown motive seems to lend itself to a mental illness, but I question that. There must've been some motive, IMO.

Why did they release only info on the victims when it didn't explain CM's motive? MOO, that seems unfair and disrespectful to the victims and their families. None of that info was linked in any way to CM or a motive. Not to mention, I still wonder if there wasn't another person involved. Lots of investigation and info, but it doesn't make sense yet.

CM fell apart, but only after he was arrested. It appears he didn't seem to have serious mental issues even after the killings. I can't believe there's no info about CM's past. He almost got away with these intricately planned murders! Did he have a serious mental diagnosis before, or was getting arrested what brought it on? I certainly don't believe his condition requires years to get him competent to stand trial, especially if Patton has a good system in place for that result. They need to make sure he is not getting lost in his medications and having sessions to get him ready to stand trial.

The holidays are going to be hard to get through for all the loved ones of Ilona, Gianni, and Salvatore. They will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Let me start by saying miss you BITW :blowkiss:

Above BBM

Without a doubt CM has/had some serious mental challenges. Was he competent when he carried out these murders we may never know but I for one believe he was. Unfortunately now he has been declared incompetent to stand trial so I think the snapping point was being arrested. IMO he knew exactly what he was doing at the time of the murders.

I personally did not see the family getting trashed in the media. Of course I was privy to a few more things than the normal local. Was the family caught of guard by reports in the media...absolutely YES! Which was a shame. Same with the comments on the online media reports, yes it was ugly but they don't call people who post disrespectful comments Trolls for nothing. They are friggen everywhere!!! :gasp:

I think of the family a lot and especially during this time of year when everything will feel fresh and painful again for them. It breaks my heart...

I MISS YOU! I lost my phone 2 days ago and when I was looking on my computer for my back up contact list for my new phone (hopefully its here tomorrow!) I found this video of Gianni telling a story while Sal played the guitar. [video]http://vid1358.photobucket.com/albums/q770/thebestinthewest2014/1034016_1384952098453839_1359686373_n_zpsncpjlarg. mp4[/video]

I MISS YOU! I lost my phone 2 days ago and when I was looking on my computer for my back up contact list for my new phone (hopefully its here tomorrow!) I found this video of Gianni telling a story while Sal played the guitar. [video]http://vid1358.photobucket.com/albums/q770/thebestinthewest2014/1034016_1384952098453839_1359686373_n_zpsncpjlarg. mp4[/video]

OMG that video just made me cry!!!!! What a wonderful way to see Gianni at his handsome and charismatic self! :clap:

ARGH!!!!!! *advertiser censored** Carlo Mercado!!!! (sorry but I needed to say it)

Miss you too Best and call me when you get your new phone :heartbeat:

Not sure why I can't edit or add to my last post but Best can we add this video to the FB page? Of course with the family's permission. IMO it's time to open it back up to discussion and since the 1 year anniversary is close I'm sure many would love to see this. Just a thought! *wink*

This is Sal playing his guitar [video]http://vid1358.photobucket.com/albums/q770/thebestinthewest2014/1741323_1384974341784948_1663265547_n_zpsoiysbpor. mp4[/video]

Another one of Sal [video]http://vid1358.photobucket.com/albums/q770/thebestinthewest2014/1962236_1385014741780908_364104270_n_zpslvqcyfrh.m p4[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back