GUILTY CA - Gianni, 24, & Sal Belvedere, 22, Ilona Flint, 22, San Diego, 24 Dec 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:thinking: I've wondered if CM's family members were aware of his supposed mental illness before he killed three vibrant young adults in a mall during the holiday season. Perhaps CM's family members escaped being murdered themselves. It stands to reason, those family members he lived with must've known he was a gun enthusiast, even his first lawyer called him a gun aficionado, but how uncomfortable if they knew he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and fancied himself an assassin hit man. It'd be a very dangerous situation then for gun ownership, IMOO.

Wish we knew more about CM's mental state before the crimes. I still don't know how he managed to work steadily for months after and only became mentally incompetent after being arrested.

Another case where the defendant is headed to Patton due to mental incompetency.
Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot more cases like this lately? BBM

I hope that we are not seeing a trend by defense attorneys trying to get their clients ruled incompetent and sent to Patton as a way to disqualify them from the death penalty. Without the DP, what leverage will the DA have when attempting to extract the other details of the crime to include other participants etc?

If this is in fact happening, I believe that it is abuse of the system because there are some defendants out there who truly have competency problems and will benefit from the services Patton offers. This trend could have the effect if overloading Patton and causing a backlog,.

:thinking: I've wondered if CM's family members were aware of his supposed mental illness before he killed three vibrant young adults in a mall during the holiday season. Perhaps CM's family members escaped being murdered themselves. It stands to reason, those family members he lived with must've known he was a gun enthusiast, even his first lawyer called him a gun aficionado, but how uncomfortable if they knew he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and fancied himself an assassin hit man. It'd be a very dangerous situation then for gun ownership, IMOO.

Wish we knew more about CM's mental state before the crimes. I still don't know how he managed to work steadily for months after and only became mentally incompetent after being arrested.
I remember reading in one of the search warrants that a few days after CM was pulled over the arresting agent called the family to check on their welfare because CM seemed so weird when he was pulled over. I think the family had to have been somewhat aware of his mental problems but I doubt they felt they were in danger or else he would not have lived in the residence with young children. Maybe it was a similar situation to Adam Lanza where the mother just chose to overlook it or worse felt guilty for thinking her son could be a predator but for whatever reason chose the shooting range as a bonding experience. I hate to think if CM had not been pulled over that day. He was competent to elaborately try to derail LE I do not understand why he is not considered sane enough to understand the charges. I was thinking earlier about the preliminary hearing when they talked about the casing that had the father's DNA I wonder if CM found bullets in the Car Gianni was in and used the bullets to elude LE even more. So many unanswered questions. I just hope all of the lessons that can be learned from this are realized.

All of you better be shopping online this holiday! NO MALLS WS! [emoji35]

Another case where the defendant is headed to Patton due to mental incompetency.
Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot more cases like this lately? BBM

I hope that we are not seeing a trend by defense attorneys trying to get their clients ruled incompetent and sent to Patton as a way to disqualify them from the death penalty. Without the DP, what leverage will the DA have when attempting to extract the other details of the crime to include other participants etc?

If this is in fact happening, I believe that it is abuse of the system because there are some defendants out there who truly have competency problems and will benefit from the services Patton offers. This trend could have the effect if overloading Patton and causing a backlog,.

I completely agree with you. This is such a terrible trend! I found this article ->http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ally-depressed-says-ex-wife-murder-trial.html I am pretty curious about DP and Skitzophrenia as far as statistics go.

All of you better be shopping online this holiday! NO MALLS WS! [emoji35]

What good are cameras that are working, but aren't recording?

$400K in Diamonds Stolen From Jewelry Store Owner
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...tolen-From-Jewelry-Store-Owner-284702391.html

"A suspect escaped with $400,000 worth of diamonds after holding up a jewelry store owner in a National City mall parking lot."

and

"Cameras in the west side of the parking lot, where the incident happened, were not recording at the time, though they do work, police say, so they are checking businesses for surveillance video."

I'm confused about when this case became random un targeted killing by mentally ill schizophrenic? Is that the official take on it now? Guess I'll have to go back and read up because I thought earlier there were other investigative avenues open? If so how very frightening with the stores now open late for the upcoming Christmas season. In any case a sad anniversary coming up for the family and friends who loved these three.

I'm confused about when this case became random un targeted killing by mentally ill schizophrenic? Is that the official take on it now? Guess I'll have to go back and read up because I thought earlier there were other investigative avenues open? If so how very frightening with the stores now open late for the upcoming Christmas season. In any case a sad anniversary coming up for the family and friends who loved these three.

ITA and IMO it was NOT random nor do we even know what CM's mental capacity was at the time of the murders. We only know what he has been diagnosis with since November. And of course we know that he was acting strangely when pulled over by the Border Patrol and did attempt suicide when he was initially arrested. So something was not connecting with him going back to at least Jan. 2013.

I certainly hope that the malls have learned a lesson and all CCTV's are fully functioning for the safety of the shoppers.

And yes...a very difficult anniversary this will be for all of the family and friends. :(

Hi! This is what we know and what we don't know. I think we don't know very much at all, especially about the killer who is going to stay tucked away in the State Hospital for awhile. No hint of what his motive was either.

Love and Prayers to the Families and Friends of Salvatore, Ilona, and Gianni.

Mission Valley Triple Killing Defendant Ordered to State Hospital
Monday, Nov 3, 2014 • Updated at 11:11 AM PST
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...endant-Hospital-Carlo-Mercado--281328151.html

"Search warrants obtained by NBC 7 reveal the exhaustive investigation into the triple homicide case, but still, no motive."

gianni_belvedere_new_1391810504356_2420556_ver1.0_320_240.jpg
RiNRpf1.jpg
BELVEDERE3_1390346399742_2099729_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

Not forgotten, always in our memories.

I still cannot wrap my head around this guy committing these murders on his own. Between the timing of having Sal and Ilona in the car together, to shooting Gianni at some point in between and moving Gianni's car...I just do not see it. It's so organized for such an unorganized person.

I still cannot wrap my head around this guy committing these murders on his own. Between the timing of having Sal and Ilona in the car together, to shooting Gianni at some point in between and moving Gianni's car...I just do not see it. It's so organized for such an unorganized person.
I feel like he planned it out completely. Imo Gianni was an easy target to prey on and he shot him (there is a reference to the passenger seat having a lot of blood in the warrants) and similar situation with Sal and Ilona when they were sitting there I don't think CM knew they were related to Gianni it was either a coincidence or he had a sinister plan to kill the 3 for whatever reason. I remember Gianni's phone texted Sal's after the shooting or possibly vice versa? Either way it did not make sense and that girl who sold the Xanax to Gianni earlier in the day also said she got a weird call from a private number she thought was Gianni around the time of the shootings. I wonder if Gianni's phone always showed up privately when calling people? Why else would she think it was him? Sal and Ilona were parked for 20 min if I remember correctly what if they would have left sooner? What if someone else had shown up to pick up Ilona? I don't know the timeline off the top of my head but if Gianni arrived at --pm/Ilona gets off work and CM asks her where Buffalo Wild Wings is at --pm how long did it take her to call Sal? Sal arrives at --am they are sitting there for 20 min trying to find out where Gianni is. It's weird she called the jails and hospitals right away I wonder if Gianni's car was still there with the blood in the passenger seat and that's why she called those places? Or it could be that she knew something was wrong when Gianni did not show up. ilona was able to dial 911 that means she had a few seconds to press 911 + send wait for the call to connect and then tell operator she had been shot and where she was located. Or did she see CM driving the car back to drop it off after Gianni was in the trunk and she knew at that point she needed to call 911 but was only able to see she had been shot. From what I understand there were some eyewitnesses why would he risk people seeing him?

It'll be interesting to see if that goes anywhere lawsuit wise.

About 2 weeks ago another Westfield mall just a few miles away had a robbery of $400,000 worth of diamonds on an employee of a jewelry store leaving from work who was held up in the parking lot.

The cameras weren't recording there either.

http://www.10news.com/news/armed-robbery-reported-at-westfield-plaza-bonita-120314

About $400,000 worth of loose diamonds were stolen from a jewelry store owner in the parking lot of the Westfield Plaza Bonita mall.

The employee first gave him his wallet and cash, but somehow the suspect knew (or suspected) he had some of the jewelry on him as that was the routine (I'm assuming) and so then pressed the gun into him again and he had to hand over the diamonds also.

Police say surveillance cameras in the parking lot are working but were not recording at the time.

The families are suing the mall for lax security/cameras

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...dere-Ilona-Flint-Carlo-Mercado-285579451.html

http://www.10news.com/news/loved-on...murders-file-suit-against-mission-valley-mall

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/11/belvedere-mission-valley-mall-flint-lawsuit/

I'm curious if we'll learn any new details about what happened in the parking lot.
This whole CM psych wait thing is absurd, IMHO. He needs to face the music.

I'm not surprised the family is going after the Westfield Mall as I recall there were rumblings they were going to do this early this year.

As for Carlo Mercado he STILL remains in San Diego Central jail (psych floor) and has not been transferred to Patton. Just makes me SMH...

The one year anniversary is just over a week away and my heart goes out to the families of these beautiful kids. This is the joyous time of year and they will be forever robbed of that.

...I feel like he planned it out completely. IMO Gianni was an easy target to prey on and he shot him (there is a reference to the passenger seat having a lot of blood in the warrants) and similar situation with Sal and Ilona when they were sitting there. Sal and Ilona [sit] there for 20 min trying to find out where Gianni is. It's weird she called the jails and hospitals right away...I wonder if Gianni's car was still there with the blood in the passenger seat and that's why she called those places? Or it could be that she knew something was wrong when Gianni did not show up? ilona was able to dial 911--that means she had a few seconds to press 911 + send wait for the call to connect and then tell operator she had been shot and where she was located. Or did she see CM driving the car back to drop it off after Gianni was in the trunk and she knew at that point she needed to call 911 but was only able to see she had been shot. From what I understand there were some eyewitnesses why would he risk people seeing him?

Like all of you, I can only guess as to what actually happened on Christmas Eve last year. There remains no clear motive, and CM's mental problems make it less likely that he can even explain his actions that night. In fact, his actions may have no logic to them, which frustrates the people here with intact logical thinking even further.

As others have pointed out, though, despite his derangement, he planned ahead in a way that reveals that he wasn't a completely disorganized person. Psychopaths, unfortunately, can be highly functional when it comes to planning the murders of others (Charles Manson, James Holmes, David Berkowitz [Son of Sam], etc).

It is possible that CM knew of no connection between G and I/S, but it certainly seems like a tragic coincidence that two people delayed in a parking lot met the same fate because of their concern for another who was already murdered there. Improbable, but not impossible.

If you saw that the driver seat in your boyfriend's car was full of blood, would you stay in that same location and call jails and hospitals as to his welfare? I think most people in that situation would call the police immediately before anyone else. Some might stay there until the police arrived, but I think the "fight or flight" mechanism would cause many people to beat a hasty retreat from that location. Also, in this scenario, CM would have had to have killed Gianni, and then picked him up and put him in the trunk shortly thereafter. Have you ever tried to move a lifeless human body by yourself (or even with one other person)? It is quite awkward, not to mention difficult, and I can't imagine he would have attempted that in the parking lot. Perhaps poor Gianni was just pushed aside so CM could drive the vehicle, extricating his body from the car at a later time in a more private location. (I don't think I/S knew G was even there--but they did worry about where he was. Their first response, then, was to call jails and hospitals? To me, that's telling.)

CM is a sick man--but we already knew that. And, his family probably knew that as well. Perhaps they just thought he was moody--but not homicidal. Sadly, there is a lot of shame associated with mental illness, and many families don't confront this head on, because then, you have to admit that someone close to you has a problem. I have no way of verifying if that is true for the Mercado family. (Even if other family members are diligent about their concern and care of another family member that has mental illness, there is no guarantee that the affected party will care for themselves properly--or even can.)

To be declared incompetent to face capital murder charges indicates that CM is in very sad shape mentally. Does his mental illness factor in to his actions last Christmas Eve?

Absolutely.

Will anyone ever understand why he committed these murders?

Only time will tell, and probably only if CM gets well enough to tell his story.

The families are suing the mall for lax security/cameras

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...dere-Ilona-Flint-Carlo-Mercado-285579451.html

http://www.10news.com/news/loved-on...murders-file-suit-against-mission-valley-mall

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/11/belvedere-mission-valley-mall-flint-lawsuit/

I'm curious if we'll learn any new details about what happened in the parking lot.
This whole CM psych wait thing is absurd, IMHO. He needs to face the music.

Surprises me to read the different comments and opinions about mall security cameras and lighting!

I mean some people seem to think it wouldn't stop a crime. But how about solve a crime if it were your family member who got robbed or killed? I've always thought criminals would be less likely to commit crimes in areas with good lighting, security cameras, and a security team. I expect a mall to provide that to shoppers.

How about when you live in a gated community or a building that says it has cameras? It makes you feel safer. Right? You might even pay more to live there. Then, suppose, you find out it's a lie because management was lax or trying to get more profit, and you never were any safer. The mall is suppose to provide good security including working cameras.

JMO, it has nothing to do with who was targeted for these crimes or their families financial standing, but that the public expects malls to provide security and they didn't.

Here's your answer: (Look at the photo this time)
http://media.nbcsandiego.com/images/mercado+phone+RIP.JPG

The RIP in the phone is bugging me, too (along with a gazillion other things about this case).
I am hoping the IT folks can determine when CM added that item to his calendar.
A week before? Six months?
I think that could really help shed some light on how premeditated this was, and help hone in on a more specific time period in CM's history to go back & try to piece together.

(Tech guys at work can easily run an activity log for your computer, sometimes down to the keystroke. Not sure how it works for cell phones.)

I also think it's bizarre that we haven't heard anyone really come to this guy's defense. There are usually some people-friends family coworkers neighbors- speaking out saying "he was a nice guy, he wouldn't do this type of thing", etc.
I heard a line or 2 way back around arrest time but not much. Am going to do some more digging!
IMHO, that would point to lone wolf wannabe with a random grudge, gang related (fear of retaliation=silence), he's keeping silent to protect someone else, or hired hit. Really clears things up, huh?

Was CM ever at the belvedere restaurant? Have any of the belvedere's connections admitted to knowing him?
Last I read, the police weren't admitting a link.
From fox5sandiego
"In response to a question about whether the suspect and victims knew each other or had any other prior connections, homicide Lt. Mike Hastings said, “I’m not sure there was any relation.”"

That was june 2014.hope they know more now and are just keeping quiet

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1
Back