CA - Hannah,16,Devonte,15,&Ciera Hart,12 (fnd deceased),Mendocino Cty,26 Mar 2018 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it looks like Jen could get very angry because someone simply made a comment. It wouldn't be hard to see her going ballistic and going over the edge of a cliff.

I'd say that someone getting angry at a comment online does not normally imply that someone can get angry enough to drive off a cliff. I see angry nutjobs online every day and it's not remotely commensurate to the levels of actual violence thankfully.

Here’s another story about the photographer and the famous photo of Devante

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/11/ferguson_photographer_hug_port.html

Portland photographer behind viral Ferguson rally 'hug photo' knew 'this kid was special'

Clipped

Q: Did you talk to Devonte?

A: Yes.

I asked him his name. I asked, "Do you know what's going on?"

He said, "A protest."

I asked him if he knew why it's going on. He said "Yes."

I asked him if he thought it was good or bad. He didn't say anything.

He kept crying, so I gave him a hug.

His mom was standing behind him and said, "Devonte just has a really big heart."

At that point, I could tell this kid was special. He does have a huge heart. But I took a step back and walked down the sidewalk about 10 feet to give him a little space.

I started taking pictures of other protestors along the street. But my gut kept telling me to stay there for a little while. The next time I looked over (at Hart), Sgt. Barnum was talking to him. I was in the zone, so I didn't really hear their conversation. I think they were saying something about school. There were a lot of small questions. They got closer. They went in for the hug. I took seven pictures. By the third one, I knew had something.

(Read about Sgt. Barnum's conversation with the boy.)

Q: So you have this amazing photo. How did it wind up on OregonLive?

A: It was two days later. I was just going to put it up on Instagram. But I decided I wanted more of the world to see it, so I walked into The Oregonian to see if they were interested. (The Orgeonian paid Nguyen for the right to publish the photo.)

Q: Have you talked to Devonte or his family since the photo has gone viral?

A: No, but I plan on speaking to them. I'll try to get in touch with them once things die down.

Q: How did you get into photography?

A: I've been into it since I was a kid. But I've really only been taking pictures seriously for three or four years. I love the fact that you have this tool in your hands and that you can record history in a way that's present and now, but also tells a story in 100 years. I like using a tool that can evoke something, that has some sort of impact, in a way that can't be done without a picture.

Q: You're studying at PCC. What do you want to do for a living? Actually, let me rephrase that: What did you want to do before yesterday?

A: (Laughter.) Something in art. A business, taking pictures. My dream's always been a photography business.

Q: Well, this photo is a good start. Why do you think the image has resonated in a big way – in a giant way – with so many people?

A: In the midst of all the photos depicting Ferguson and the riots and the protests (prompted by a grand-jury decision to not indict Officer Darren Wilson, 28, for fatally shooting unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown), the images have depicted violence, anguish and anger. But this one showed humanity, hope and positivity. I think, deep down, that's how every human being wants it to be. That's what people want to see. It's a reflection of where want to go. The photo shows there is humanity left -- there is hope.

This photographer "knew" he/she had something. How about evidence of Devonte's pain? If I took that shot I would have been disturbed and probably wouldn't have used it. That's not art. That's exploitation. And if I thought it was a good idea to use that shot, I would have talked to Devonte and made sure he was alright. It's called ethics.

MOO*

I know what you're saying. However, doesn't he seem to cry a lot? Why was he crying before the police officer interaction? It's not like he was 5. He was 12 years old. All the crying just seems odd to me.

12 year boys can't cry?! It's not odd.

MOO*

I think there is ample evidence of exploitation: they used the children as props in a number of contexts. However interested they were in raising capable, thoughtful adults through their methods, in my opinion it was in large part a vanity project.
I'm not sure how kosher it is to link public photos tagged with Jen Hart's profile (514341260) but a scroll through those non-Jenn-stage-managed photos are instructive. I think some of them bother me more than the glossy table waffle photos.

There is one, as I scrolled a few pages down, that startled me - it was Devonte pose with a bunch of near age peers with their arms outstretched. The other kids are well-nourished, healthy, rambunctious looking boys, without a speck of excess fat; and you can see just how wasted Devonte is by comparison. It was rather alarming and reminded me of the arms of concentration camp vicitms. If Devonte wasn't "starved to death", he wasn't fed enough, either.

I don't disagree that they coached the kids but there's a huge difference between his demeanour in the cop hug sequence of photos & every other event.

In every other photo I've seen he & the other participants display a kind of contrived beatific expression & their tears seem to be a response to being overwhelmed by "the love"

I think the cop photo was intended to look like that too, but he was too terrified to control his fear & give the performance Jen wanted from him - hence the trembling described by 2 independent witnesses & which Jen later attempted to explain as Devonte being a special kid who was overwhelmed by his emotions on the day.

I also won't be surprised if the bulk of Jen's anger over the photo going viral had nothing to do with protecting Devonte's privacy, but was actually rage over the fact that she invested time & effort in setting up the shot & then some "stranger" just skipped in & effortlessly stole all the attention out from under her

IMO the death threat claims were about making the other photographer, Johnny Nguyen, look & feel bad for "stealing" the acclaim & attention she'd been seeking for herself via Devonte

Nailed it. She could no longer control the image and take credit. Photography was her thing and Devonte was HER main subject. Not surprised that we didn't see an "iconic" photo like that ever again.

MOO*

Lee was too old to be pliable. They needed minds to mold. It’s gross how they rolled out these innocent kids like progressive Stepin Fetchits at events they were too young to understand. I believe the goal of the Hart women was to get by on the wits they crafted for their kids.

Stepin Fetchits... watch out now. [emoji52]

MOO*

Truth! I have an FB account mainly so I can get to articles...and I see so much fakeness from families who I know have crap going down that it's sickening. I know FB is not a place to air your dirty laundry, but faking it to the other extreme end is ridiculous too. I actually now am trying to understand what is the best use of SM in general? If you don't overshare or act totally fake what's the point? My kids are going to be getting to the age of wanting SM soon and I'm trying to understand how it can be useful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you curate your sm like a channel selection... you can actually create a stream of content that feeds your goals and interests. You may be friends with people online but that don't mean you have to see all of their stuff (Facebook). You can be a consumer and be ok with that. Post every now and then but that's not a requirement. I like Instagram's love or comment section. "Loving" a lot of pictures and videos that you genuinely like can be a positive experience [emoji41]

MOO*

Yeah, I'm not worried about the atmosphere. Most people at hippie festivals are pretty gentle. I'm worried about the overall abuse and neglect these kids were subjected to.

Oh and side note? I don;t think the parent were the only ones exploiting these kids. I hope this isn't taken as offensive but present-day hippie culture is predominately a white people thing in the states. Not by intent, that's just how it is, from what I have experienced over my years.

I think a lot of these musicians enjoyed having little POC on stage or in shoots with them, frankly because it gave them more credibility as progressives. IMO.

Bbm... Interesting... Jumping off your post Gitana1

What is perhaps revealing is the cross generational / cultural choices.

The video of Devonte dancing in his skivvies, listening to Cat Stevens & Joni Mitchell... Huh? Where is Sly Stone & Jimi Hendrix?

The Hippies, the originals, were, yes known for privileged resistance to Victorianism, nudity in the mud, but really were actually quite the amalgamation. Look at the original Woodstock lineup and one can see the breadth of that movement. The astonishing discoveries and gifts that were voiced and shared is really unmatched. -IMO.

Why? Because original movements, good or bad, take in much history proceeding them, like a starburst. Historically, I think the 60's was decades in the making.

We witnessed many, many groups, peoples, causes, cultures come together in what I can only describe as a renaissance of art, music, culture, resistance, and a moon landing.

The west coast, SF, LA, was in so many ways the original image of this hippie movement... Flower power. But the whole country was its soul in an expansion that was like riding a tiger. It's defining force was age, youth had the power and original expression.

The new age festivals now, of the west in particular, to me feel nostalgic. Its peace, love, earth, togetherness, hugs, acceptance, is reminiscent of a time of discovery. And it was the choice expression of J&S, their values, their feeling of acceptance as (I think) a couple. It was about them. It is why we see their "tribe" there, and not at a festival in say, Austin, or even deeper, New Orleans, or Chicago.

The PNW gave us Kurt Cobain. It took me a long time to warm up to him, but I think he was a genius in describing raw soul. And in the videos I've seen of these groups there is perhaps that nostalgia, too?

One of the finest messages of the peace, love movement is the wide angle lens view of the love of planet earth, this celestial being recognized as a gift. Peace, not war. But, in its diluted form, there is subliminal exclusion in its community of predominantly one race posing as a voice for all tribes...

This is the filter that these six children were raised. I am struck by the image of Devonte, Jeremiah, and Abigail laying in the grass, with the books. The politics. The effect of current events. And what was up with Hannah accusing her moms of racism when she jumped out of a window and ran to the neighbors, as was published by many news outlets...
http://katu.com/news/local/neighbor...d-begged-for-food-sarah-jennifer-hart-devonte

I would venture to say that many worlds were colliding when Jen drove off that cliff.

Bbm... Interesting... Jumping off your post Gitana1

What is perhaps revealing is the cross generational / cultural choices.

The video of Devonte dancing in his skivvies, listening to Cat Stevens & Joni Mitchell... Huh? Where is Sly Stone & Jimi Hendrix?

The Hippies, the originals, were, yes known for privileged resistance to Victorianism, nudity in the mud, but really were actually quite the amalgamation. Look at the original Woodstock lineup and one can see the breadth of that movement. The astonishing discoveries and gifts that were voiced and shared is really unmatched. -IMO.

Why? Because original movements, good or bad, take in much history proceeding them, like a starburst. Historically, I think the 60's was decades in the making.

We witnessed many, many groups, peoples, causes, cultures come together in what I can only describe as a renaissance of art, music, culture, resistance, and a moon landing.

The west coast, SF, LA, was in so many ways the original image of this hippie movement... Flower power. But the whole country was its soul in an expansion that was like riding a tiger. It's defining force was age, youth had the power and original expression.

The new age festivals now, of the west in particular, to me feel nostalgic. Its peace, love, earth, togetherness, hugs, acceptance, is reminiscent of a time of discovery. And it was the choice expression of J&S, their values, their feeling of acceptance as (I think) a couple. It was about them. It is why we see their "tribe" there, and not at a festival in say, Austin, or even deeper, New Orleans, or Chicago.

The PNW gave us Kurt Cobain. It took me a long time to warm up to him, but I think he was a genius in describing raw soul. And in the videos I've seen of these groups there is perhaps that nostalgia, too?

One of the finest messages of the peace, love movement is the wide angle lens of the love of planet earth, this celestial being recognized as a gift. Peace, not war. But, in its diluted form, there is subliminal exclusion in its community of predominantly one race posing as a voice for all tribes...

This is the filter that these six children were raised. I am struck by the image of Devonte, Jeremiah, and Abigail laying in the grass, with the books. The politics. The effect of current events. And what was up with Hannah accusing her moms of racism when she jumped out of a window and ran to the neighbors, as was published by many news outlets...
http://katu.com/news/local/neighbor...d-begged-for-food-sarah-jennifer-hart-devonte

I would venture to say that many worlds were colliding when Jen drove off that cliff.

I just couldn't get over the fact that they shared a video of their child dancing in underwear like that. There is so much child trafficking and image circulation associated with it that which made me sick to even see that. [emoji30]

MOO*

I'd say that someone getting angry at a comment online does not normally imply that someone can get angry enough to drive off a cliff. I see angry nutjobs online every day and it's not remotely commensurate to the levels of actual violence thankfully.

Poster was not talking about someone. We're talking about Jen Hart.

MOO*

I just couldn't get over the fact that they shared a video of their child dancing in underwear like that. There is so much child trafficking and image circulation associated with it that which made me sick to even see that. [emoji30]

MOO*

Yes, I have a really hard time with that video, not because we as educated adults know all about the dangers of the world, and would do anything to protect our children, but because it was not Devonte's choice...

It is one of the pieces that levels abuse at these two women. And I include them both because I can't imagine being a partner in this crime.

I'm not sure but it looks like this is another picture of Devonte hugging a different person that day? (ETA I thought this was maybe another police man, but IDK who D is hugging, but it is another tearful hug in the same clothes as the famous one)

https://jansonnenmair.photoshelter.com/image/I0000gdekDjqcECc

https://www.google.com/search?q=dev...#imgdii=5frf0xRejY2i-M:&imgrc=zfB5eRnxw-lvkM:

I wish Devonte could tell us his story. I wish there was a massive search for him along their entire route. I wish there was some new info.

I tried finding the photographers photo gallery and none of the links I’ve tried are working. Don’t know what happened or if I’m doing something wrong.

And eta: images, videos, like bad choices, are kind of the rite of passage of teenagers. Lord knows, I made enough of them myself. (TG, there was no SM back in my day!)

But the curation of Devonte's narrative by his caretaker (I can't call her a mom) for her own glory is something that is feeling more and more like retribution for her own troubled past.

Evil people do evil things. Have we heard much from families of these two women or friends, work associates?

There is wild speculation about everything under the sun with this family with no supporting facts, but we cannot speculate that these white women exploited these children? Objectifying the children to portray themselves as special, progressive, loving people, without any indication that they did anything to keep their kids connected to their culture. That is also abuse.

Someone reposted sillybilly's 2nd post below.[emoji1476][emoji1487][emoji1478]

MOO*

I'm not sure but it looks like this is another picture of Devonte hugging a different person that day? (ETA I thought this was maybe another police man, but IDK who D is hugging, but it is another tearful hug in the same clothes as the famous one)

https://jansonnenmair.photoshelter.com/image/I0000gdekDjqcECc

https://www.google.com/search?q=dev...#imgdii=5frf0xRejY2i-M:&imgrc=zfB5eRnxw-lvkM:

I wish Devonte could tell us his story. I wish there was a massive search for him along their entire route. I wish there was some new info.

Nice find.

Devonte looks like he’s pleading for help from the cop in that photo.

No, he was afraid but his mother wanted him to "have his own experience" and face his fear, so she pushed him into the encounter.

"Last night I encouraged Devonte to face his concerns and fear. It was one of the most emotionally charged experiences I’ve had as a mother."

Because like with everything it was all about HER.
:mad:

Is being afraid of the police a good thing? I think it is an unhealthy thing because it is better for there to be a positive interaction and understanding.

Maybe if his fear of police had not been fostered by his captors, he would have felt comfortable running to them for help, before it was too late. :cry:

If you read threads on this website yes, being afraid of a police officer is a good thing and can save your life. Avoiding encountering one if you don't have to is also a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx