Deceased/Not Found CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My understanding, which may not be accurate; however, it is that LEO discovered evidence that leads them to believe that Heidi met her demise in an incident at the H, of H&F bldgs, that led them to search particular spots in the Landfill for evidence of a death or crime.

How does a little boy live knowing someone may have tossed... ? Let us pray for BW.

Placing a mother's body in a dumpster or down a trash chute, that leads in the dumpster, is felonious trash themselves and should never live another free day on earth. This sounds like evil stuff; not panicky stuff. The only reason to hide HP was to cover up a crime; not an accident.

jmo
You are correct. LE considered her disappearance to be foul play from the beginning, if I remember correctly.

That said, as more and more overdose or drug-related deaths are being prosecuted as murder 2 or manslaughter, it's entirely possible the sale or distribution of a controlled substance may be the crime, as well as illegal disposition of a body.

I'm not discounting entirely that the crime could be something more nefarious, but it just doesn't seem as likely.

A young woman was brutally murdered at the furniture store she was working in alone, in the middle of the afternoon, on January 14. The furniture store is in Hancock Park, LA, which is roughly 7 miles from DTLA. Within a couple days, LAPD posted a bulletin offering a $250K reward for information leading to the arrest of her suspected murderer, a supposedly homeless man with a rap sheet covering both coasts. 200K of the reward was raised by private donations, but 50K was from public funds. Within 4 days, the suspect was apprehended and arrested. The woman's name is Brianna Kupfer, and there is a thread for her here.

I know that the circumstances are completely different, but I believe the fact that 3 months later, with no one arrested, but no reward ever having been posted, and no real pleas for help from the public from LE, all seem to point to the idea that LAPD has had a pretty good idea what happened to Heidi since early on in this investigation, and perhaps even who had involvement in her demise. I also think their actions seem to indicate that LAPD believes there is no ongoing threat to the community as a result of Heidi's disappearance. I think the only thing remaining to do before bringing charges against someone(s) is to recover her remains, and any other evidence that may be with her, that would strengthen a prosecution. I still believe this was a drug overdose, and subsequent dumping of her body. JMO

Last edited:
A young woman was brutally murdered at the furniture store she was working in alone, in the middle of the afternoon, on January 14. The furniture store is in Hancock Park, LA, which is roughly 7 miles from DTLA. Within a couple days, LAPD posted a bulletin offering a $250K reward for information leading to the arrest of her suspected murderer, a supposedly homeless man with a rap sheet covering both coasts. 200K of the reward was raised by private donations, but 50K was from public funds. Within 4 days, the suspect was apprehended and arrested. The woman's name is Brianna Kupfer, and there is a thread for her here.

I know that the circumstances are completely different, but I believe the fact that 3 months later, with no one arrested, but no reward ever having been posted, and no real pleas for help from the public from LE, all seem to point to the idea that LAPD has had a pretty good idea what happened to Heidi since early on in this investigation, and perhaps even who had involvement in her demise. I also think their actions seem to indicate that LAPD believes there is no ongoing threat to the community as a result of Heidi's disappearance. I think the only thing remaining to do before bringing charges against someone(s) is to recover her remains, and any other evidence that may be with her, that would strengthen a prosecution. I still believe this was a drug overdose, and subsequent dumping of her body. JMO

I tend to agree with you.

I also suspect as repugnant as it is, the penalty for dumping a body isn't all that heavy. I tried to look up CA law but couldn't really find what I was looking for-- most posts about mishandling/desecrating corpses were related to funeral homes. But posts from other states suggest it's not a crime that usually carries a heavy punishment (when the body disposal isn't secondary to murder. And I'm tending to think this case was an accidental OD followed by idiotic panic.)

JMO

I also suspect as repugnant as it is, the penalty for dumping a body isn't all that heavy. I tried to look up CA law but couldn't really find what I was looking for-- most posts about mishandling/desecrating corpses were related to funeral homes. But posts from other states suggest it's not a crime that usually carries a heavy punishment (when the body disposal isn't secondary to murder. And I'm tending to think this case was an accidental OD followed by idiotic panic.)

JMO[/QUOTE]
Okay, so it took some looking but I found the California law on unauthorized disposal of a body. NCWatcher, you were correct! A very minimal punishment, at best, given what it sounds like what we expect was done! But sadly, it could have been worse... Below is the law that I found, and below that, I will put up the link for where I found it. If you want to read the other stuff just above or below, the key to finding it easily is to look for the 7054 on the left of the page... And yes, the punishment is horribly lacking. It is a misdemeanor...

7054. (a) (1) Except as authorized pursuant to the sections
referred to in subdivision (b), every person who deposits or disposes
of any human remains in any place, except in a cemetery, is guilty
of a misdemeanor.

2005 California Health and Safety Code Sections 7050.5-7055 :: :: CHAPTER 2. :: GENERAL PROVISIONS.

My apologies, this was my first post here, and I clearly did it wrong! I have no idea what I did wrong. I was trying to include the last post. At any rate, the first paragraph belongs to NCWatcher. Again, my apologies!

No need to apologize. I have been here over a decade, and I still make mistakes posting replies at times! We all do! And yes, it is despicable to think someone that was a party to this in any way may get off with very little to no jail time, but at least if her remains are found, her loved ones can finally give her a proper burial.

And welcome to Websleuths!

I tend to agree with you.

JMO

“Idiotic panic” is my theory too. A communal trash chute in a big apartment complex seems the work of someone who is panicking IMO.

No need to apologize. I have been here over a decade, and I still make mistakes posting replies at times! We all do! And yes, it is despicable to think someone that was a party to this in any way may get off with very little to no jail time, but at least if her remains are found, her loved ones can finally give her a proper burial.

And welcome to Websleuths!
Thank you Steve! I appreciate that! I'm curious, I clicked on Reply and it didn't do what I thought it would do? Can you tell me if I did something wrong, and if so how to do it right?

Whether it was 'just another drug overdose' or something else, we are not likely to hear much from LE, MSM or a family member any time soon. There is a lot going on, and some of it is public but cannot be related here. Look around.

Thank you Steve! I appreciate that! I'm curious, I clicked on Reply and it didn't do what I thought it would do? Can you tell me if I did something wrong, and if so how to do it right?
I think on your first post, you didnt quite catch the start in the right place, but you got this one right! The bracketed quote section needs to be at the very beginning at the very end of what you are trying to reply to.

I'm amazed at how much of this story remains unknown to the public. People can't help but talk, yet we have no stories from anyone (aside Maserati Lady) who has heard why Heidi was at H&F, knows the people who found the dog, saw/heard any evidence (blood/screams etc.) at H&F .... Not one reporter has talked to the people who found the dog (not even a "no comment" from the dog finder)? Then a bunch of tabloid stories connecting HP's colleagues to Huner Biden & Ghislaine Maxwell. The info we have isn't adding up in my opinion. I think it's all misdirection.

I hope/expect civil lawsuits are filed on behalf of HP's son, it's just outrageous that his mother is most likely in a landfill and hasn't been found. Depositions aren't like LE interviews/interrogations, you get a subpoena, you're getting deposed. Civil penalties can mean justice for HP and her family too.

I hope/expect civil lawsuits are filed on behalf of HP's son, it's just outrageous that his mother is most likely in a landfill and hasn't been found. Depositions aren't like LE interviews/interrogations, you get a subpoena, you're getting deposed. Civil penalties can mean justice for HP and her family too.

You might be right but who would be the defendant in a civil suit? And what would be grounds be? Wrongful death seems a little iffy right now given what little we know.

I don't know what is being said on social media. But so far as I know from reading WS, there's not yet an identified responsible party in this case. And there's still the possibility HP voluntarily took drugs and overdosed. While she obviously didn't put her own dead body in the trash chute or dumpster, she may not have been murdered.

You could be right there will eventually be a civil suit on BW's behalf. I'd be surprised though if there is one if nothing really comes from the criminal investigation. Hiring attorneys to file suit and to conduct (fishing expedition) depositions would be expensive. And while you are correct people can't avoid civil subpoenas quite the same way they can avoid questioning by LE, if the LAPD can't make a criminal case with all its resources, I'd think a civil case would be an uphill battle (even with its lower standard of proof.) And a civil trial would likely end up exposing information about HP her family would rather keep private. (Look at what's been published in the MSM so far.) I don't think the possibility of a big financial payout would make it worth it to put BW through that although JW may think differently. IMO he's done and said some odd things!

I do wonder if HP had life insurance to benefit BW and if so, what sort of proof of death will be required to collect. Of course, if death can be established, BW will also be eligible for survivor's benefits through social security until 18.
JMO

You might be right but who would be the defendant in a civil suit? And what would be grounds be? Wrongful death seems a little iffy right now given what little we know
I didn't mean for wrongful death, it's everything else that was done. Enough has been said to know her body was shoved down a garbage chute and they do know some of the people present at the party. Suing for emotional distress, like all civil trials, only requires showing a level of probability that would get a jury to hold anyone involved responsible for intentionally or unintentionally causing pain and suffering to the son, due to their callous, self-serving actions. Deposing as many people as necessary is an effective way to get to the truth. Anyone who participated in the disposal, or knew about and didn't report it, could be included in a lawsuit, a jury decides the levels of responsibility. Anyone that wasn't forthcoming with information, ie management, thwarted the finding of the body, the person that leased the apartment, whether present or not. Delaying the release of information, trying to limit their own civil liability during a time of exigent circumstances.
In my opinion, LE has a lot of information about what happened, as do some of the other tenants. I think a civil suit would already have a place to start from.
As for dragging HP thru the mud, it's already been done. And how would that look anyway, it's okay to dispose of a mother's body because she may be the victim of an accidental overdose and had questionable business dealings? Edit to add. Most civil suits are contingent on paid judgements, and usually settled out of court. There is no upfront cost for the victims, and that building/corporation has insurance. Individuals may not have as deep pockets, but judgments last for a very long time and future earnings and any owned property can be attached.

Last edited:
I didn't mean for wrongful death, it's everything else that was done. Enough has been said to know her body was shoved down a garbage chute and they do know some of the people present at the party. Suing for emotional distress, like all civil trials, only requires showing a level of probability that would get a jury to hold anyone involved responsible for intentionally or unintentionally causing pain and suffering to the son, due to their callous, self-serving actions. Deposing as many people as necessary is an effective way to get to the truth. Anyone who participated in the disposal, or knew about and didn't report it, could be included in a lawsuit, a jury decides the levels of responsibility. Anyone that wasn't forthcoming with information, ie management, thwarted the finding of the body, the person that leased the apartment, whether present or not. Delaying the release of information, trying to limit their own civil liability during a time of exigent circumstances.
In my opinion, LE has a lot of information about what happened, as do some of the other tenants. I think a civil suit would already have a place to start from.
As for dragging HP thru the mud, it's already been done. And how would that look anyway, it's okay to dispose of a mother's body because she may be the victim of an accidental overdose and had questionable business dealings? Edit to add. Most civil suits are contingent on paid judgements, and usually settled out of court. There is no upfront cost for the victims, and that building/corporation has insurance. Individuals may not have as deep pockets, but judgments last for a very long time and future earnings and any owned property can be attached.

Perhaps you are an attorney. I am not although I've had long-term friendships with a few attorneys so I have had many "free-wheeling" discussions with "legal eagles." You could very well be right but based on my decidedly non-professional legal opinion, I'd be surprised if it would work out the way you've suggested. Here are some areas in particular I wonder about.

1. I seriously doubt anyone who did not lie to LE but merely failed to report his/her secondhand knowledge of the disposal of HP's body would be liable anywhere, for anything (you seem to suggest liability for anyone with knowledge.) In general Americans aren't required to volunteer information to LE. And if intentional infliction of emotional distress forms the basis for the civil suit, I'm not an all sure that Person A failing to call the police despite believing Person B disposed of HP's body makes Person A liable.

2. I'm not sure what the management of the H&F has or hasn't done. It was reported they required a search warrant to access security video. That made perfect sense. And I can't believe the LAPD wouldn't have known that. (If nothing else, checking the boxes makes sense in case of a criminal trial.) So I take what's reported about the management with a grain of salt and am not sure about liability.

3. While cases can be taken on contingency, to me this case sounds pretty iffy if it's about HP's body and her body can't be found. Attorneys generally take contingency cases that are pretty sure wins. Cases that are iffy AND have upfront costs? For example, taking depositions costs money. (I believe a court reporter or someone with those skills would be needed, for example. That costs money that someone has to pay upfront.)

4. While there has been plenty of "gossip" about the trash chute in the tabloids and apparently on SM, and there must be some reason LE is searching the landfill, I don't think any of us know if there's actual evidence HP was dumped in the trash chute.

5. While "big money" pre-trial settlements sometimes are forthcoming in civil suits, particularly when corporations with deep pockets are involved, I'm not so sure a bunch of drug users will react the same way and pay up (if indeed the dumping occurred after drug use.) So a trial could be required.

6. I go back and forth in my mind about what LE knows. Sometimes I think they know alot (as you've suggested they do.) Other times I'm not so sure. I think they know she's dead but other than that? For example, in this video report supposedly a "LE source" admitted they know very little about what happened. That it's still a mystery.

Police Search Landfill North of Los Angeles in Disappearance of West LA Woman Heidi Planck

7. While some private info about HP has been released, I do think it could potentially get worse in court. So trying to "get justice" for the disposal of HP's body by winning money in court might not be in the best interests of BW.

But we'll see, I guess.

JMO

Last edited:
volunteer information to LE. And if intentional infliction of emotional distress forms the basis for the civil suit, I'm not an all sure that Person A failing to call the police despite believing Person B disposed of HP's body makes Person A liable

The infliction can be intentional or unintentional
In my opinion, there is hair and blood in the chute, and there are witnesses to the death, it is not necessary for the body to be found for criminal prosecution or civil action. Every person's potential level of liability has to be assessed, a jury decides the level and appropriate award for each.

Edit to add, I don't know if there's a difference of opinion on this, I thought it was understood that a dumpster, fed by the chute, was emptied by a garbage truck, which delivered the body to the landfill.

Last edited:
Not seeing a cause of action for negligent infliction of emotional distress here - that’s typically brought by a bystander.

Perhaps you are an attorney. I am not although I've had long-term friendships with a few attorneys so I have had many "free-wheeling" discussions with "legal eagles." You could very well be right but based on my decidedly non-professional legal opinion, I'd be surprised if it would work out the way you've suggested. Here are some areas in particular I wonder about.

1. I seriously doubt anyone who did not lie to LE but merely failed to report his/her secondhand knowledge of the disposal of HP's body would be liable anywhere, for anything (you seem to suggest liability for anyone with knowledge.) In general Americans aren't required to volunteer information to LE. And if intentional infliction of emotional distress forms the basis for the civil suit, I'm not an all sure that Person A failing to call the police despite believing Person B disposed of HP's body makes Person A liable.

2. I'm not sure what the management of the H&F has or hasn't done. It was reported they required a search warrant to access security video. That made perfect sense. And I can't believe the LAPD wouldn't have known that. (If nothing else, checking the boxes makes sense in case of a criminal trial.) So I take what's reported about the management with a grain of salt and am not sure about liability.

3. While cases can be taken on contingency, to me this case sounds pretty iffy if it's about HP's body and her body can't be found. Attorneys generally take contingency cases that are pretty sure wins. Cases that are iffy AND have upfront costs? For example, taking depositions costs money. (I believe a court reporter or someone with those skills would be needed, for example. That costs money that someone has to pay upfront.)

4. While there has been plenty of "gossip" about the trash chute in the tabloids and apparently on SM, and there must be some reason LE is searching the landfill, I don't think any of us know if there's actual evidence HP was dumped in the trash chute.

5. While "big money" pre-trial settlements sometimes are forthcoming in civil suits, particularly when corporations with deep pockets are involved, I'm not so sure a bunch of drug users will react the same way and pay up (if indeed the dumping occurred after drug use.) So a trial could be required.

6. I go back and forth in my mind about what LE knows. Sometimes I think they know alot (as you've suggested they do.) Other times I'm not so sure. I think they know she's dead but other than that? For example, in this video report supposedly a "LE source" admitted they know very little about what happened. That it's still a mystery.

Police Search Landfill North of Los Angeles in Disappearance of West LA Woman Heidi Planck

7. While some private info about HP has been released, I do think it could potentially get worse in court. So trying to "get justice" for the disposal of HP's body by winning money in court might not be in the best interests of BW.

But we'll see, I guess.

JMO

We have heard nothing else from LE since a month ago, when they announced they were resuming the search and would make an announcement if anything warranting one was found. I doubt the search is still going on, but even if it is, if nothing has been found, as would seem to be the case, I think LE may be back to square one, and this may never be solved. JMO

Last edited:
IF supposed information that cannot be posted here is correct, it seems the renewed search of the landfill may have been concluded a while ago, with absolutely nothing found. If that is indeed true, I think LE may be back to square one, and this may never be solved.
The forensic evidence in the chute still would match her DNA. Since there are been other body/parts victims recovered from landfills, some which seem larger than this. I have no idea what the access is, and pretty far fetched, but maybe not impossible for someone to remove the body before the trash pickup day.

Reactions: ?!?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793
Back