Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My family visited a large theme park this weekend. My teen became separated from us. After not being to locate us, she asked a stranger to let her use her phone to contact me. It’s been reported by Ian’s girlfriend that his phone died, thus their communication ceased — I can’t come up with a logical reason why he didn’t do the same my teen did?

I don't know my boyfriend's phone number. I also don't know my kids' phone numbers, my exH or my BFF. I do know my mom's, but that's about it!

I've been speed-reading trying to catch up, so sorry if this has been mentioned. Ian was reportedly wearing a pair of custom-made 49er shoes according to this poster. It wouldn't be the first time someone has beat up or killed someone to steal shoes. :-( I hope not, of course.

Didn’t know that about the shoes!

I pretty much would have done exactly what Ian's girlfriend did if I were in her situation.

When we go to sporting events, I leave my wallet in the car and take in a few dollars. Definitely not enough to hire a cab or Uber to get back to the hotel.

He's getting better with age, but my husband is a "wanderer" when he drinks too much. He pretty much "heads for the barn" when he is ready to go. This is embarrassing, but one time I found him napping under the car while I was trying to figure out where the heck he was. Another time he couldn't find his friends' campsite after a Nascar event, so he just sat down next to a fence to wait it out until morning. He's a good guy and feels bad about it later.

As a previous poster said, after putting up with this sort of thing for a while, you just kind of figure out that they'll eventually show up the next morning. Except Ian didn't. I'm concerned he got into an altercation and was pushed into the water.

Regarding the surveillance footage -

Obviously this is just my opinion, and my experience, but he looks drunk as hell to me. Not walking in a straight line, kind of wavering, a bit unsteady. That's how I've seen friends and family members walk when they've been drinking like all day and on the border of blackout (we're Irish and we go camping ha so I see this a lot). Just putting that out there.

I am not a drinker, but am older. When I watch him walking out, it looks like how I would walk down an incline while concentrating on something in my hand. In my mind, his walk might be due to drink or might be due to distracted walking.

Since the stadium p0licy (which I posted earlier) is a limit of 2 drinks and none after the end of the 3rd quarter, it had to have been an hour and a half or so since his last beer purchase when he left the stadium.

I watched 2 hours of news on one TV channel Friday night but there were no stories on him.

I believe the "marsh" next to that area is not going to hide a body from the air. The map shows the closest larger body of water is a salt pond, which will have essentially no vegetation. Yes, if you wander further you will get into longer grasses, but why would he go too far? (On the other hand, if you were trying to dump a body, that would be a likely spot.)

I tend to believe that the girlfriend's lack of distress in the interviews, as well as her not panicking after the game, is explained best by her being experienced with his wandering off & disappearing. (That seems in contradiction to his uncle's statement about his being responsible.) While I don't have any experience with that, I do know that I won't disrupt my life too much to search for a cat that doesn't come home one night. Maybe the next day, I'll look a little harder.

While I can understand initial reluctance to use a helicopter on Wednesday, I don't think that is reasonable. The smoke is not very different than the particulate smog in the Los Angeles area in the early 1960s. They used helicopters then. (They also use helicopters to extract injured from fires, and to dump water on the fires, but I don't know if they keep those well out of the smoke.) Even if the police couldn't use helicopters, why didn't they use drones? Why aren't there private citizens using drones? Ahhh... the stadium is on the flight path to the San Jose airport.

Good post; you make some good points.

I also wondered about the usage of drones and why that hasn't been done yet. It would certainly be cheaper than a helicopter search and plentiful if you enlist the help of locals who have their own drones.

The gf mentioned he cannot swim and when referring to the water nearby commented that "perhaps there's something there". Has the family not requested drone searches? Why?

That’s horrible.
I live in Chicago so the story of the young woman who died after becoming intoxicated and wandering into a hotel freezer was widely reported. Actually, the freezer did not lock once you went in which was determined in the investigation. You could open the door from the inside. But she did not open it likely given her condition and died. (She had acute levels of alcohol and prescription drugs not prescribed to her in her system). The area she was in was a closed part of the hotel. She was not a guest and was not a minor which is why the hotel didn't call LE when the Mom first said she was missing. She was at a party in a room booked by someone with a stolen credit card so who and where she really was at was not easily ascertained. Hotel freezer where woman was found dead did not have lock, according to source Kenneka Jenkins' death ruled accidental; alcohol, drug found in system

Possibly that he doesn’t know the number because he relies on his phone contacts ? I know that I used to memorise everyone’s number but now since Iphones etc have come along, I rely on the phone contact book as opposed to my memory

I get that. With the advent of smart phones we don’t really memorize phone numbers. I’m guilty of the same, but I DO know my husband’s number, not so much from actively trying to memorize it but from seeing it so often (when filling out forms, listing emergency contacts, etc.) I dunno. It just struck me as odd that he didn’t attempt to call her from someone else’s phone. But you may absolutely be right in that he didn’t know her number. And if he was inebriated that may have affected his being able to recollect it.

Good post; you make some good points.

I also wondered about the usage of drones and why that hasn't been done yet. It would certainly be cheaper than a helicopter search and plentiful if you enlist the help of locals who have their own drones.

The gf mentioned he cannot swim and when referring to the water nearby commented that "perhaps there's something there". Has the family not requested drone searches? Why?
Drones by law cannot be flown over people or moving vehicles which make their use in the city improbable. They could be used to search the parks and river if there are few people about.

His cell was pinged near where they had parked it. Did she forget where they had parked? Or did she get there and he was gone? I would have contacted security immediately. Somebody wanting his shoes is a possibility. A long time ago my husband and I were mugged at knife point leaving a concert.

His cell was pinged near where they had parked it. Did she forget where they had parked? Or did she get there and he was gone?

She went to the car and he wasn't there.

Police Search For Man Who Went Missing From 49ers Game
Narrator: [They couldn’t get hold of each other] She then waited by his car in a parking lot nearby but Powers never arrived and she thinks his phone died. The girlfriend had to take a bus with her two kids back to their hotel near his family in Concord.

Both posts sbm.

Has this case been mentioned? I remember he walked away from the game and was found 3 days later still walking south.
Why the Vanished Broncos Fan Says He Wandered Off
FWIW, I think there was something going on with Paul that the public will never know about. My theories are early onset dementia or a history of mental illness. No one wanders away from their family without a word and walks 100 miles on foot “because they wanted to go for a walk”.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akoyaqueen
Back