GUILTY CA - Jessica Funk-Haslam, 13, found murdered, Rosemont, 6 March 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ryan Douglas Roberts was to appear in court this past Friday, December 6, 2013.

I have not googled yet... And will do so... But do any of you wonderful Sleuthers know of the outcome of this hearing?

TIA...:seeya:

FYI...

I could not find any articles about Ryan Douglas Robert's hearing on this past Friday, 12-6-13...

:dunno:

I'm so glad that this guy was arrested. The article below shows how close he got to getting away with murder. Thank goodness the wife turned him in, even though they let him go.

"She says Roberts brutally attacked and choked her back in May.

“All of a sudden he just got angry and irate.”

She says it happened at a rec area in Fair Oaks.

“He said he was going to break my neck, and he tried, and then he raped me two times.”

Lynn says she called deputies, but after investigating, they said there wasn’t enough evidence for an arrest."

The above is a clip from this article:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...tack-on-estranged-wife-led-police-to-roberts/

WTF? How is that possible?

I somehow had lost track of this case but luckily I had bookmarked it. Was just thinking about her and came over to look. I am happy to see they've arrested someone. Now ready for closure for her family and justice for Jessica.

Following the link supplied by Ms. Facetious he's still in jail with no bond. I'd love more info on this case.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/07/17/3752394/trial-ordered-for-man-accused.html

Nine cigarette butts and a couple of apparent lies to the cops led a judge Thursday to order a murder trial for Ryan Roberts in the killing of Jessica Funk-Haslam in Rosemont two years ago.

DNA on one of the smoked-down Camel 99s in and around the dugout of a youth baseball diamond at Rosemont Community Park came back most definitively as a match to the 13-year-old girl who was asphyxiated, beaten and stabbed in the neck. Two others came back with strong likelihood as a match to the 24-year-old defendant who worked in restaurants from midtown to Rancho Cordova. Six of the cigarettes contained genetic contributions from both of them...

In issuing her holding order, Judge Earl said, “It’s clear to me whoever killed Jessica was with her in that dugout at the time of the murder. There is in my mind no doubt Mr. Roberts was in that dugout with Jessica in the hours and minutes before her death.”

Thanks OkieGranny! As soon as we get a trial date we'll move it on over to Awaiting Trial section.

and here is another article from a couple weeks ago that also shows that makes me worried that they don't have a very strong case: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article2604136.html
It looks like the only evidence they have is that the suspect and the victim shared cigarettes that night. So yes, he was there at one point, but I would think they need more evidence.

Defense alleges new suspect in Rosemont girl’s slaying

In it, defense attorney Jennifer Mouzis points to a man described in the documents as a 35-year-old transient and methamphetamine addict with a lengthy criminal history and “an obsession with knives.” The motion alleges the man knew Jessica, occasionally stayed with the family of one of Jessica’s friends and at a nearby motel and was arrested on an outstanding warrant and questioned by Sacramento County Sheriff’s Major Crimes investigators March 9, 2012 – three days after Jessica’s body was found at Rosemont Community Park.

Hadn't we heard about this guy already?
Or am I confusing it with another case involving Juggalo suspects?

You certainly could have heard about this guy, as he was brought up, but I also think since you follow all these cases like I do that Juggalos were suspected in a few others.

Defense alleges new suspect in Rosemont girl’s slaying

Thank you for the article above. So interesting.

From that same article

"Mouzis argues in her motion that the man lied to investigators about knowing Jessica, was unable to account for his whereabouts during the time the killing was believed to have been committed; and that witnesses overheard a telephone call between the man and Jessica’s friend discussing the three of them meeting at the Rosemont park the night Jessica was killed."

I'm sorry to keep bringing this up, but at the time of this case, it nagged on me that it just sounded like some mean girls were involved. It really bothered me. I can't get it out of my head, and I just think sometimes people don't want to think that teen girls can sometimes be evil. Maybe the "friend" urged the transient guy to do the dirty work, or she was the one that stabbed her with the pen and he did the actual murder... it just bugs me and has since they found her body.

This is the first I had heard

"witnesses overheard a telephone call between the man and Jessica’s friend discussing the three of them meeting at the Rosemont park the night Jessica was killed."

and

"detectives initially focused on the teenage friend who witnesses said was with Jessica the night she was killed and was said to be affiliated with local Juggalos"

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article29993511.html#storylink=cpy

Anyway, thanks for allowing me my opinion. I'm happy to accept LE's findings if there is enough evidence to convict the current guy in jail. I don't know all the facts, but just smoking cigarettes with someone in a dugout doesn't convict him in my mind.

Hi all,
Just caught up with this case - I do remember seeing this a few years back.

Any idea when Ryan Roberts' trial starts? Or has it began and there is another thread for this??

TIA! :wave:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen