CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The mobile phone belonging to Summer McStay registered its final call at 4:42 that same Thursday afternoon. Disconcertingly, though, her phone continued to receive text messages after the disappearance – eight, in total. Three texts sent by family friend McGyver McCargar arrived on Friday. The last four texts, including two messages from Dan Kavanaugh, an associate of Joseph McStay, arrived on Saturday. The final text message registered at 10:59 a.m., presumably just before the mobile phone’s battery was exhausted."

From New cell tower info indicates that the missing McStay family was in Bonsall. | iR3: International Rescue & Recovery Resource

FWIW

I've always wondered about this. If valid, IIRC Summer's phone was not found in the grave, nor anywhere else, nor was Joseph's. So was this the route CM allegedly took to return to RC? Do we know?

Whatever dolt launched and paid for the about to be bankrupt L&C, is about to learn a lesson in finances, media and equipment.
Absolutely, my opinion.

Thought you might be interested to know L&C “lost” a bunch of footage of another trial today. You can’t make this stuff up!

I haven’t listened to today’s recordings yet so I was wondering if you all thought the faro guy helped the prosecution or not today.

HAIR!!!! NOT HAIR!!! that I might be able to apply haha

Actually, if you hear "Objection!" Chances are, it's Imes. Not that the defense didn't say it, but the vast majority of objections in this trial have been uttered from Imes' mouth, and that word is the loudest from him, and he usually says it before the question has even dawned on the witness.

That's why it's important to be sure the prosecutors get the right man, otherwise the killers would still be walking among us. Imagine that.
It happens IMO. Juries don't always get it right, and some think BARD means beyond any doubt at all. And an acquittal doesn't necessarily mean a person is innocent either. Just my observations from following other trials.

I wonder how this would impact the penalty phase if CM is convicted:

Philip Rucker‏Verified account @PhilipRucker 2h2 hours ago
Gov. @GavinNewsom is preparing to take executive action to eliminate the death penalty in California, NBC 4 Los Angeles reports

Carla Marinucci‏Verified account @cmarinucci 2h2 hours ago
BREAKING: @GavinNewsom to sign moratorium on executions in California -- reprieve for hundreds on Death Row
If found Guilty it might affect him, but not sure? Depends if it is enacted or not as well?
I'm fine with LWOP anyway, and don't believe in the DP. Something i read ages ago said that when someone receives the DP and is put to death by the state it says on the death certificate that cause of death as homicide. I can't remember the source so not sure if it's accurate information or not? Perhaps it also varies by state?

If he is found not guilty, will some prosecutors work on finding the real killer(s), and conduct more investigations on other suspects?

Sometimes it depends upon why the subject is found not guilty.

If it is proven they are innocent, then the investigators will try and find the killer or killers, most likely.

But if it is one of those things where they jury says, we think he was guilty, but the state didn't prove it fully, and we couldn't reward them for inept behavior...then it could end there...?

I've always wondered about this. If valid, IIRC Summer's phone was not found in the grave, nor anywhere else, nor was Joseph's. So was this the route CM allegedly took to return to RC? Do we know?

I believe it would be a substantial detour from CM’s route back to RC—unless there were some unimaginably bad traffic problems on I 15–and that doesn’t fit with the idea that he made good time back to RC to start answering his phone again.

I suppose we could pull out the old ‘cell tower flakiness’ explanation....

If he is found not guilty, will some prosecutors work on finding the real killer(s), and conduct more investigations on other suspects?

I remember after the OJ case. Don’t remember exact words, of course. Someone asked: “Well, will you keep trying to find the guilty person now?” And the LE person snarled: “We found the guilty person.”

If found Guilty it might affect him, but not sure? Depends if it is enacted or not as well?
I'm fine with LWOP anyway, and don't believe in the DP. Something i read ages ago said that when someone receives the DP and is put to death by the state it says on the death certificate that cause of death as homicide. I can't remember the source so not sure if it's accurate information or not? Perhaps it also varies by state?

A homicide is a death caused at the hands of another. The death penalty is a justifiable homicide.

California and its prison system has been broken for a long time. A lot of people sitting in death row will more likely die of natural causes. We provide sanctuary to repeat offenders. Aside from Yosemite, California is all messed up. I heard that story today too, and wondered the same.

Unless they came upon new evidence, as it stands now, all the evidence leads to Chase, and no one else. What would be the point, if there is no evidence to lead them to someone else. I think that the deceased McStay family and the surviving family members have been done a huge disservice at every level by all the people who failed in one way or another to protect them and deliver justice. I just can't imagine how terrible they must feel. I hope someday they all will find some peace.

Thelma, we don't know a darned thing. You are one of the "originals" who were around at the time. How Spring got his information is a nebulous story dealing with Mexico and its officials, with whom he had a long-time relationship. James Spring and his report were ultimately shelved, because LE could not or would not corroborate what he said in it. All that aside, just read it. It is extremely detailed - the twin cell towers on either side of the bridge, and the phones pinging off of them. For what reason would Spring fabricate this elaborate tale? It does not make any sense for him to have done so. As I have previously posted on this subject, I cannot help but believe that the fate of the McStays is somehow tied to that Bonsall Bridge.

Unless they came upon new evidence, as it stands now, all the evidence leads to Chase, and no one else. What would be the point, if there is no evidence to lead them to someone else. I think that the deceased McStay family and the surviving family members have been done a huge disservice at every level by all the people who failed in one way or another to protect them and deliver justice. I just can't imagine how terrible they must feel. I hope someday they all will find some peace.

I wonder how this would impact the penalty phase if CM is convicted:

Philip Rucker‏Verified account @PhilipRucker 2h2 hours ago
Gov. @GavinNewsom is preparing to take executive action to eliminate the death penalty in California, NBC 4 Los Angeles reports

Carla Marinucci‏Verified account @cmarinucci 2h2 hours ago
BREAKING: @GavinNewsom to sign moratorium on executions in California -- reprieve for hundreds on Death Row

I was wondering that too. I can't tell what this really means.

Okay, I'm just about done listening to the testimony from today... argggh so hard to 'get' it all, but sure appreciate the photo's and small clips that we got from Rob McMillan's tweet.

I am not sure about this evidence... I had hope that maybe it was going to be a bit clearer, and honestly, in the end, it was just the same as what we've heard before and that it is not conclusive IMO It cannot be excluded.

I think that the State should have at least tried to recreate the exact same conditions to see the headlights, if nothing else. Liscio made it very clear when he was being shown the State 'recreation' video that we saw earlier in the trial (where they took Merritt's truck to Avocado Lane and took a video of it) was like comparing apples to oranges. I think McGee did it on purpose lol He made a point, but your report was comparing the video to a Faro Scan (which is also apples to oranges). The best comparison would have been the same conditions compared to the same conditions. I couldn't agree more. And I am curious to know if the defense did this?

The latch... :eek::eek::eek: ... McGee went into this in painstaking detail ... again and again, and he sure seems sure of himself... Liscio said the only thing he could match it up to is the latch for location... he said it would probably be best to get a physicist to look at that to determine where it would be reflecting from ... reflections, where it would have to be reflecting from, why the hydrant and other things weren't reflecting in the dark before/after the truck pulled out.... I was reminded of something and I had to go look it up... McGee is trained in Physics :confused: he mentioned it in a hearing the same day they held the 402 hearing for Rudin. I am not sure why McGee went on and on about that... and about it being a taillight .... will be interesting to "hear" their witness.

The only other thing I was surprised about... they let him mention Dr. Rudin and he watched him testify. The jurors know they never saw a Dr. Rudin testify, so they must be wondering wth is that about? lol There was so much more, but I've been listening for hours now and I'm done with the truck and the dang latch... tail light... or whatever it was LOL Ok.. I'm not done, there is 13 minutes left, not expecting anything earth shattering though.

ETA: to be clear, he didn't watch all of Rudin's hearing, he only watched a bit, more commenting about the fact they let him say anything about Rudin at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member