CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it looks like a lot of money went through DK's hands and I'm not so sure it can all be accounted for as running Joey's business.

I had actually expected to hear that Dan sent some of that money to Susan or Mike... but that doesn't seem to be the case unless I missed it? I did hear that a payment or 2 was sent to Heather though (which I recall the State mentioning that somewhere else as well previously) I listened to the testimony this week, but have not had the time to go back and listen again, was a busy week at work and have been nursing a dang cold/flu!

Well isn't that interesting. I didn't realize that Merritt thought DK lived in HI.
Yes it is. Only problem there with Merritt stating "But I know that he had only $2,000 left to pay and Joseph was going to then own Earth Inspired Products", is that Joey was always the owner of EIP and everyone else was really only the equivalent of a sub contractor to Joey's business.

I had actually expected to hear that Dan sent some of that money to Susan or Mike... but that doesn't seem to be the case unless I missed it? I did hear that a payment or 2 was sent to Heather though (which I recall the State mentioning that somewhere else as well previously) I listened to the testimony this week, but have not had the time to go back and listen again, was a busy week at work and have been nursing a dang cold/flu!
That stinks! I hope you're feeling better. I thought I was catching a cold but I think it's just allergies. Ugh

Yes it is. Only problem there with Merritt stating "But I know that he had only $2,000 left to pay and Joseph was going to then own Earth Inspired Products", is that Joey was always the owner of EIP and everyone else was really only the equivalent of a sub contractor to Joey's business.
Exactly! But I do wonder why Joey thought he had to "buy out" DK? Was that part of the silly gentlemen's agreement DK mentioned? That part is confusing to me.

I really wish the state could introduce evidence regarding all the personal funds Joey fronted to Merritt, i.e. rent, replacing Merritt's "stolen" tools on a couple of occasions, living expenses while Merritt was incarcerated numerous times, etc. Surely there are witnesses to all of these debts?

From what I saw this week... those payments were accounted for in those ledgers... those are the payments made to a '3rd party on behalf of Chase'. They were listed under the ledger, I recall seeing some that said 'rent' (which I think was the shop that Chase had at one time in Ponoma). That's JMO until I get a chance to watch again LOL

They have all of Joey's bank records, cheques, etc. Surely if this was the case, they would have record of it somewhere. Is it possible that some of this was just rumour over the years that just might not be true?

Which Joey obviously forgave him for as a year later still working together.

Not obvious.

You do know it wasn't a physical threat and was a year prior the family missing?

No, I don't know. No one knows. It's not so clear what kind of threat it was. A threat is a threat. And even if it's not an outright physical threat, it can progress to a physical threat, since from what we've read here, CM is supposed to have gone from thief, burglar ---> smacking his son ---> swinging a cat ---> violent ---> torture, rape, murders

Exactly! But I do wonder why Joey thought he had to "buy out" DK? Was that part of the silly gentlemen's agreement DK mentioned? That part is confusing to me.
I'm not totally sure but i think Dan owned the domain and did all the internet stuff for Joey to encourage customers from the website to Joey's EIP. So Dan would of had a deal of some sort with Joey and Joey & Dan probably settled on a percentage of payment to Dan for his part in it all? And even though JM paid DK out, he still kept him on but in a different and lesser capacity i would think.

Not obvious.

No, I don't know. No one knows. It's not so clear what kind of threat it was. A threat is a threat. And even if it's not an outright physical threat, it can progress to a physical threat, since from what we've read here, CM is supposed to have gone from thief, burglar ---> smacking his son ---> swinging a cat ---> violent ---> torture, rape, murders
Yet this 'threat' wasn't even allowed into evidence due to its irrelevance.

So MR obviously suspects like me, that Chase would get his various Saudi cheques over time if it was in two payments like the bigger 15% jobs. But if it was all in one payment (which many jobs now were with the smaller amounts) - wouldn't he just get one combined cheque?

Ditto MSM - if they send two invoices - don't you normally pay both with one cheque?

So not impossible Joey preferred to have a cheque per invoice but .... questions?

The only thing I would mention here is if the expenses were for separate jobs, he may have issued separate checks to make it cleaner from an accounting perspective. It is easier/cleaner to code each check against a specific job. We do that in my Quickbooks with multiple invoices for the same company. It allows us to get an accurate profit/loss per client/job.

The only thing I would mention here is if the expenses were for separate jobs, he may have issued separate checks to make it cleaner from an accounting perspective. It is easier/cleaner to code each check against a specific job. We do that in my Quickbooks with multiple invoices for the same company. It allows us to get an accurate profit/loss per client/job.

It's a little unclear to me... maybe you know... did Joey actually keep track of payments to Chase in QB's? Was it in the Contact account? We have seen very little as far as the QB's in the Contact account, so I'm not even sure if it was shown in the trial or not.

Yet this 'threat' wasn't even allowed into evidence due to its irrelevance.

That's still a threat, and very threatening threat. What I posted above still applies.
Theft --->................---> murder
Verbal threat ---> ..........----> murder

Thankfully to the majority of people on here it is. You don’t work with somebody for a year afterwards if they hadn’t managed to mend fences.

The "majority of people here", if by "here" you mean those frequently posting on this thread,that is a tiny, tiny,.... tiny x1000, world to use for a general argument or to even have a reasonable assessment of popular views. Besides, I don't look at other people to form my opinions and make my reasoning.

Last edited:
Not obvious.

Common sense tells me it wasn't a physical threat. So you you think the "threat" festered for a year and DK finally took action? That makes zero sense since they still had a relationship and were closely working with one another. Plus, as ForceTen pointed out the "threat" wasn't allowed in to evidence so it's a moot point.

Common sense tells me it wasn't a physical threat. So you you think the "threat" festered for a year and DK finally took action? That makes zero sense since they still had a relationship and were closely working with one another. Plus, as ForceTen pointed out the "threat" wasn't allowed in to evidence so it's a moot point.
BBM, Yes exactly, and this is after all the Trial thread.

Just going back over Chase Interview and this always makes me chuckle.

It just demonstrates what a pathetic liar he really is and it is truly pathetic hence why it’s funny.

"Nine out of ten people on this planet have got some kind of criminal background," Merritt said to the tabloid.

"I am an old man. I got into trouble here and there when I was a kid, but I do not have some long criminal history, which is what people have tried to imply," he said

No they don’t!!

And he was just a kid when he got in trouble apparently and yet his last convection he would of been in his 30/40’s. Some Kid..... :D

Just going back over Chase Interview and this always makes me chuckle.

It just demonstrates what a pathetic liar he really is and it is truly pathetic hence why it’s funny.

No they don’t!!

And he was just a kid when he got in trouble apparently and yet his last convection he would of been in his 30/40’s. Some Kid..... :D
I think he was a bit confused. Maybe 9 out of 10 of the people within his world or circle. People tend to run with their own mostly. Joseph was that 1 person in that circle who wasn't crooked.

The backdating of that check, to the 4th, when it was actually created on the 5th, is very damning evidence. Why would Chase need that check to be dated back to the 4th?
I understand how someone could arrive at the conclusion you describe, especially, if this conclusion was contemplated without considering more complex and elaborate scenarios.

The problem with your theory of the crime is it’s too simple, I’m familiar with Occam’s razor and agree that in most cases it would apply but I don’t believe this case is a candidate for such consideration. I say this because the event you describe would not have been a small error made by the culprit but a glaring road sign leading LE directly to the person and directing their attention away from any other potential suspects.

I realize that most criminals make stupid mistakes, and this is the caveat that gives me pause with this case. There were no mistakes made other than this one glaring huge mistake, it doesn’t make sense that the murderer could be so thorough and competent in every other aspect of the crime, yet do something that is obviously going to implicate them.

IMO, this is a classic example of a frame up, considering the origin of the check printing evidence was a computer that DK potentially had access to only adds more validity to this theory. DK also would have known that Merritt would have had no problem accepting a check from JM to cash, we also have no idea who really made the call to the QB’s help desk.

I understand how someone could arrive at the conclusion you describe, especially, if this conclusion was contemplated without considering more complex and elaborate scenarios.

The problem with your theory of the crime is it’s too simple, I’m familiar with Occam’s razor and agree that in most cases it would apply but I don’t believe this case is a candidate for such consideration. I say this because the event you describe would not have been a small error made by the culprit but a glaring road sign leading LE directly to the person and directing their attention away from any other potential suspects.

I realize that most criminals make stupid mistakes, and this is the caveat that gives me pause with this case. There were no mistakes made other than this one glaring huge mistake, it doesn’t make sense that the murderer could be so thorough and competent in every other aspect of the crime, yet do something that is obviously going to implicate them.

IMO, this is a classic example of a frame up, considering the origin of the check printing evidence was a computer that DK potentially had access to only adds more validity to this theory. DK also would have known that Merritt would have had no problem accepting a check from JM to cash, we also have no idea who really made the call to the QB’s help desk.
I don't understand. Are you trying to say that Chase accepted a backdated check from DK? You do know that many of the checks were cashed, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18