CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC the info came from Chase himself.
Chase recounted this in an interview with the Daily Mail. He said he was told that he passed "with some inconsistencies," and, since he did not hear from anyone after that, figured he was in the clear. Of course, he might have not passed at all, but was told he did to put him off his guard, with LE monitoring him very closely thereafter.

There's no article, it was on the CNN special.

From CNN.com - Transcripts

When you first met him though, what were your first impressions of him?

JERRY SMITH (PH): Extremely friendly, you know, very outgoing.

This is where Chase and I dug this. KAYE: Jerry Smith (ph), a recreational gold prospector met Chase Merritt in August 2014. He's asked us not to use his real name for his protection.

Jerry met Chase through his new career, gold mining.

SMITH (PH): My wife and I purchased a machine called the dry washer and there was a broken part. So I contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer got me in touch with Chase.

KAYE: After Chase fixed his gear, Jerry and his wife went gold prospecting with Chase a handful of times in a high desert.

SMITH (PH): He said, "I know those areas like the back on my hand."

KAYE: But Jerry says the Chase Merritt who showed up the last time they met was noticeably different from the friendly cowboy he had come to know.

SMITH (PH): While we were standing there, Chase says to me, "You probably know who I am." And I referred back to him, I said, "Well, not really because we just met you four or five weeks ago." And he said, "Well have you ever heard of the McStay family?"

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: A family of four vanishes.

KAYE: Jerry remembered hearing about the McStays on the news but had no clue Chase had any connection to them.

SMITH (PH): He said that he was Joey's best friend and his business partner. He didn't seem sad at all talking about it. He was almost kind of cold and he also went on to talk about his wife, Summer, he called her an F-ing a couple of times.

And more and more, he talked about things that were going on between him and the McStay family that the more uneasy I got.

KAYE: Jerry's unease only got worst when Chase insisted they hike here, to an even more secluded area.

KAYE: So what was your gut telling you that day?

SMITH (PH): I was getting spooked, hair were standing up on my body.

KAYE: Jerry quickly hiked back to his wife, packed up his $10,000 worth of prospect being here and headed out of the desert. The next day, Jerry decided he needed to tell someone what it happened.

SMITH (PH): I made contact with the Sheriff's Department Homicide.

KAYE: What was their response?

SMITH (PH): His response to me was, that he appreciated us calling and he said helps us build like character of about somebody.

KAYE: Little that Jerry know, authorities already believe that Chase Merritt murdered the McStays. Weeks later, they made the announcement.

MCMAHON: Charles Chase Merritt was identified as the suspect responsible for the death of Joseph, Summer, Gianni, and Joseph McStay.

KAYE: Up next, how investigators find him across the (inaudible).

RAMOS: We knew where Mr. Merritt was on a daily basis for the last year.

hmmm I'm not sure this witness is helping the prosecution. I thought part of the reason was to show that Merritt had spent money previously that was supposed to go to Metro Sheet Metal (before feb 4th) and he just said that Joey is the one paying the invoices, not Merritt... so it makes no sense that Merritt owed them money.... am I missing something?

I do know that Merritt made checks out to Metro Sheet Metal after the 4th, but part of the prosecution theory is that Merritt owed money, etc.

I’ve never seen an article, but I saw the CNN segment. Here is the portion of the transcript of the CNN program including the spooked prospector:

This is where Chase and I dug this.

KAYE: Jerry Smith (ph), a recreational gold prospector met Chase Merritt in August 2014. He's asked us not to use his real name for his protection.

SMITH (PH): My wife and I purchased a machine called the dry washer and there was a broken part. So I contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer got me in touch with Chase.

KAYE: After Chase fixed his gear, Jerry and his wife went gold prospecting with Chase a handful of times in a high desert.

KAYE: But Jerry says the Chase Merritt who showed up the last time they met was noticeably different from the friendly cowboy he had come to know.

SMITH (PH): While we were standing there, Chase says to me, "You probably know who I am." And I referred back to him, I said, "Well, not really because we just met you four or five weeks ago." And he said, "Well have you ever heard of the McStay family?"

KAYE: Jerry remembered hearing about the McStays on the news but had no clue Chase had any connection to them.

SMITH (PH): He said that he was Joey's best friend and his business partner. He didn't seem sad at all talking about it. He was almost kind of cold and he also went on to talk about his wife, Summer, he called her an F-ing ***** a couple of times.

And more and more, he talked about things that were going on between him and the McStay family that the more uneasy I got.

KAYE: Jerry's unease only got worst when Chase insisted they hike here, to an even more secluded area.

KAYE: Jerry quickly hiked back to his wife, packed up his $10,000 worth of prospect being here and headed out of the desert. The next day, Jerry decided he needed to tell someone what it happened.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Thank you.

However reading this makes me nauseous.

He was so cocky and arrogant thinking he had gotten away with quadruple homicide.

Of course he wanted to talk about it. It's well known the murderers like to insert themselves.

It gave him another opportunity to trash Summer...the very woman he knew he had already murdered in cold blood along with her beautiful family.

He truly is one of the worst hideous murderers I've seen in recent years.

He is filled with nothing but pure evil.

Imo

From CNN.com - Transcripts

When you first met him though, what were your first impressions of him?

This is where Chase and I dug this. KAYE: Jerry Smith (ph), a recreational gold prospector met Chase Merritt in August 2014. He's asked us not to use his real name for his protection.

SMITH (PH): He said that he was Joey's best friend and his business partner. He didn't seem sad at all talking about it. He was almost kind of cold and he also went on to talk about his wife, Summer, he called her an F-ing ***** a couple of times.

KAYE: What was their response?

SMITH (PH): His response to me was, that he appreciated us calling and he said helps us build like character of about somebody.

KAYE: Little that Jerry know, authorities already believe that Chase Merritt murdered the McStays. Weeks later, they made the announcement.

MCMAHON: Charles Chase Merritt was identified as the suspect responsible for the death of Joseph, Summer, Gianni, and Joseph McStay.

KAYE: Up next, how investigators find him across the (inaudible).

RAMOS: We knew where Mr. Merritt was on a daily basis for the last year.

I don't know if a transcript of an interview qualifies as an article but maybe this is what the poster is remembering.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 3m3 minutes ago
#McStay - State also says the witness will testify that a check from Joseph to Metro Sheet Metal given to Merritt to deliver, was actually spent by Merritt. Defense says checks were made payable to Metro Sheet Metal, how could Merritt spend it?
Forgery or theft by failure to make a required disposition. CM is an expert at thievery (at least in his own mind) Likely his crimes were petty until the McStay murders. Cash, stolen or otherwise, is the addicted gamblers choice of drug.

hmmm I'm not sure this witness is helping the prosecution. I thought part of the reason was to show that Merritt had spent money previously that was supposed to go to Metro Sheet Metal (before feb 4th) and he just said that Joey is the one paying the invoices, not Merritt... so it makes no sense that Merritt owed them money.... am I missing something?

I do know that Merritt made checks out to Metro Sheet Metal after the 4th, but part of the prosecution theory is that Merritt owed money, etc.

That whole testimony about that check was very confusing. I don't know what the jury will make of that witness testimony. Was that check proof that CM took that money or not? The cross by the defense was aggressive , as was the Objection level by the state. It seemed like a standoff between the two, which ended in a LONG sidebar, which went into dismissal for the day, and for the next four full days...:(

So it ends very weakly for the prosecution, in my opinion...kind of anti-climactic confusion, the jury will sit with for the next 4 days.

well... that last little bit between the lawyers was interesting LOL Prosecution isn't telling the Defense until 5pm who they are calling the next day... they would "like" more notice, but have been dealing with it... working late... blah blah blah lol Judge seemed to agree that the pro's should be giving more notice than they are... hopefully this will help things move along more quickly! I did laugh when the Prosecution dudette said the defense isn't complying either... judge reminded her.. they aren't calling witnesses :confused:

Sounds like the woman they tried to call yesterday, Fonseca, may not be testifying? I am not sure the Judge ruled on it, but he said before yesterday he was unaware that her knowledge was from 2007, and he thought it was 2009/10.

That whole testimony about that check was very confusing. I don't know what the jury will make of that witness testimony. Was that check proof that CM took that money or not? The cross by the defense was aggressive , as was the Objection level by the state. It seemed like a standoff between the two, which ended in a LONG sidebar, which went into dismissal for the day, and for the next four full days...:(

So it ends very weakly for the prosecution, in my opinion...kind of anti-climactic confusion, the jury will sit with for the next 4 days.

Yep, and now they have 4 days to think about that check, and really, all I got from that testimony is that the guy didn't like Merritt, maybe didn't trust him (locking doors, etc., not allowing him in the building without someone with him)... BUT, he didn't say that Merritt owed him money or paid him, he made it pretty clear that it was Joey that paid the invoices, sometimes in an envelope, delivered by Merritt. So implying that Merritt stole money previously that should have gone to Metro sheet Metal... I don't understand how that happened... Joey didn't pay Merritt to pay them... Joey made checks out to them from EIP. I guess we will have to wait to see, but unless the pro's can prove that a check was cashed somewhere by Merritt that was made out to Metro Sheet Metal... fraudulently... I dunno...

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 20m20 minutes ago
#McStay - Defense says they're only getting advance notice of the next day's witnesses at 5pm the day before. Attorney James McGee gives example of prosecutors not telling them when they are calling cell phone expert so they can buy a plane ticket for their own to be present.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 19m19 minutes ago
#McStay - The state witness list given had 184 witnesses on it.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 10m10 minutes ago
#McStay - Judge: you can't wait until the state calls a witness to then want to have a 30 min argument over it" McGee: We didn't receive a witness list from the people - prosecution interrupts - McGee, "I'M NOT DONE TALKING! AGAIN"

DxJ7CozVsAE2QLe.jpg

0 replies0 retweets1 like

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 8m8 minutes ago
#McStay - McGee: The state gave us a witness list w/184 people. Defense asked them to give names/addresses, etc.. of highlighted witnesses since they weren't calling everyone.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 8m8 minutes ago
#McStay - Defense says they only got the highlighted list 2 weeks ago and still receiving info just this week. "The people have not fulfilled their requirement," sites case law saying prosecution has to give defense this info in a timely manner.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 7m7 minutes ago
#McStay - State: We've given them names at the end of the day for the next day. The problem is the excessive cross examination of witnesses. Scheduling delays occur. I can give him a schedule, it won't be accurate.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 6m6 minutes ago
#McStay - Judge; you can give them the next 3-4 people you intend to call knowing the schedule may change. Pros: we've done that every day.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 5m5 minutes ago
#McStay - McGee - If we're told at 5pm that means we're working with staff on it until 1am at times and no time to consult with our client and that's a problem. I told Mr. Maline he needs to get some sleep. Maline: "I'll just sleep when during Mr. Imes' direct" Laughter.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 3m3 minutes ago
#McStay - Maline: We're not going to apolgize for our vigorous cross examination as opposed to what he's characterizing it as (excessive). Judge: I have no quarrel with def or state taking the time they need for questioning.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 6m6 minutes ago
#McStay - Prosecutor Imes listed off a bunch of names they intend to call next week, "But I guarantee we'll only get through 2 of them." McGee asks for them to email them those names. Imes says they can read it in the transcript. Judge says, you can email them the names.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 1m1 minute ago
#McStay - After about 25 mins of very passionate (yelling, raised voices, interrupted each other) arguments. Court is adjourned until Tuesday. This trial is always dark on Fridays and Monday is a holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member