CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved today's session...It's obvious the defense is getting really antsy now with anything negative about Merritt being discussed. And the Prosecution hasn't truly gotten to the meat of the case yet. I can't wait!!

I have never seen the CNN special so it was definitely a article.

IIRC it was blog post, I never saw the original post so can't be 100% sure
I received a copy of what it said via a message here on WS

Someone called 'McStay Chronicles' was doing the interview
They claimed it was exclusive interview and that with the interviewee
wished to remain anonymous so to protect his identity they called him "Sirus"

It would be against WS TO to upload it here as it didn't come from MSM

well... that last little bit between the lawyers was interesting LOL Prosecution isn't telling the Defense until 5pm who they are calling the next day... they would "like" more notice, but have been dealing with it... working late... blah blah blah lol Judge seemed to agree that the pro's should be giving more notice than they are... hopefully this will help things move along more quickly! I did laugh when the Prosecution dudette said the defense isn't complying either... judge reminded her.. they aren't calling witnesses :confused:

Sounds like the woman they tried to call yesterday, Fonseca, may not be testifying? I am not sure the Judge ruled on it, but he said before yesterday he was unaware that her knowledge was from 2007, and he thought it was 2009/10.
Well she is scheduled to return January 29 unless the judge has since changed his mind.

I LOVED that exchange between the lawyers. I so hope they upload that with the testimony. It was off the hook.

The three things I came away with today of David Sequeida's testimony was A) They did not let Chase operate their equipment, B) They did not leave Chase alone in their shop, C) They only let him come in and leave through the front entrance. I think DS even said he made it a point to close the back door before Chase would arrive. These things have to stick with the jury.

Well she is scheduled to return January 29 unless the judge has since changed his mind.

I LOVED that exchange between the lawyers. I so hope they upload that with the testimony. It was off the hook.

After listening to them talk about Fonseca, I don't know if it was clear whether she is going to be allowed to testify or not, the judge seems to still be making a decision on that, saying he went back to his notes and motions, and it was never said that it was 2007, he thought it was 2009/10 when he originally allowed her testimony...

The three things I came away with today of David Sequeida's testimony was A) They did not let Chase operate their equipment, B) They did not leave Chase alone in their shop, C) They only let him come in and leave through the front entrance. I think DS even said he made it a point to close the back door before Chase would arrive. These things have to stick with the jury.

You seem to know this case well... so I have a question ... is the allegation that Joey gave Chase money for Chase to pay to Metro Sheet Metal but he spent it? I know I've read it before... I know the defense attorney's said it... but I'm wondering if this is actually the allegation?

I only ask because in the testimony today, it was pretty clear that the invoices were paid by Joey, always, either by mail or by envelope delivered by Chase.

ETA: oh and... any idea what the significance of that check is that they were showing at the end of testimony?

They seemed to be fighting over the defense saying something about the words written in the lower left---the notation [JF-PM101] <<<or something like that

The State objected angrily, Defense reacted in same way,Judge called sidebar, and then 'day over' ....

What was that all about?

You seem to know this case well... so I have a question ... is the allegation that Joey gave Chase money for Chase to pay to Metro Sheet Metal but he spent it? I know I've read it before... I know the defense attorney's said it... but I'm wondering if this is actually the allegation?

I only ask because in the testimony today, it was pretty clear that the invoices were paid by Joey, always, either by mail or by envelope delivered by Chase.

ETA: oh and... any idea what the significance of that check is that they were showing at the end of testimony?

To me it seems that Joseph always physically wrote out checks to MSM and that last one was dated 2/1/10. But Chase supposedly wrote one to MSM (on the 5th?) from the QB and maybe this wasn't a common practice?

The dispute between the lawyers was that the Sequeidas were asking Chase for the payments and he claimed to have spent it on other things. We have yet to hear that but I feel Maline is trying to cut the head off of it, discrediting DS. He already said regarding the one check he hadn't seen it because it was in an envelope. The defense will probably fixate on that piece.

I also tried my best to get a clear snip of the document, which is an invoice, that was put up on the screen, which caused the sidebar before we ended for the day. It is not very clear, and I had to zoom in on it. If anyone wants to find it themselves to zoom in, go to this clip:
it's at 42:30, I had to change my speed to .25 and tried to get the clearest view!

It's an invoice to EIP from Metro Sheet Metal.

From what I can see, that cheque was cashed I believe in March (could be Feb, because it's so hard to see clearly, but looks like a 3 to me), above that line it says it was received on February 4th (which is interesting... was that in person? from Merritt? or in the mail?)

There is another one also I believe in March (could be Feb. ), above says it was received on February 22nd or 23rd?

I know I read that Metro held on to a few cheque's until March because they didn't "look right". I am interested to know where the defense was going with this.

Attachments

• snip of invoice.JPG
    snip of invoice.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 26
They seemed to be fighting over the defense saying something about the words written in the lower left---the notation [JF-PM101] <<<or something like that

The State objected angrily, Defense reacted in same way,Judge called sidebar, and then 'day over' ....

What was that all about?

They actually stopped over the invoice that I was able to grab a crappy screenshot of LOL He put it up so quick that it was the best I could do though.

To me it seems that Joseph always physically wrote out checks to MSM and that last one was dated 2/1/10. But Chase supposedly wrote one to MSM (on the 5th?) from the QB and maybe this wasn't a common practice?

The dispute between the lawyers was that the Sequeidas were asking Chase for the payments and he claimed to have spent it on other things. We have yet to hear that but I feel Maline is trying to cut the head off of it, discrediting DS. He already said regarding the one check he hadn't seen it because it was in an envelope. The defense will probably fixate on that piece.

ok wait.. he was asking Chase for payments? I never heard that at all, do I need to go back and listen? LOL I clearly heard that it was Joey and only Joey that paid the invoices, they knew the money was coming from him, and if it wasn't, he clearly implied that he wouldn't have worked with just Merritt.

Ok, I found this in the preliminary hearing transcripts:

27 Q Did David Sequieda provide you with an e-mail from Joseph
28 regarding an unpaid invoice for a project?
1 A Yes, he did.
2 Q What did that e-mail say?
3 A It was an e-mail to Joseph asking about funds for
4 materials. Joseph's response to that e-mail was, as he had
5 talked about before, that Chase was responsible for the
6 materials, the creating, as far as the materials go, to ship.
7 And that if he wouldn't pay that, Joseph would take care of it
8 again, like he had done in the past. Basically, he would pay
9 the debt.
10 Q When was that e-mail?
11 A I don't recall the date.
12 Q Do you recall how long in relation to February 4th?
13 A It was approximately one month prior.
14 Q Did you ask the defendant during the October 22nd, 2014
15 interview whether Joseph owed Metro Sheet Metal money? Or did
16 you ask him about these checks that were created to Metro Sheet
17 Metal?
18 A Yes, I did.
19 Q What did he tell you about those checks?
20 A He said Joseph gave Merritt checks to pay Metro Sheet
21 Metal.

IF the above is true... why didn't this come up in direct testimony from Sequieda? I wonder if it was not allowed for some reason?

ETA: the invoice was still sent to EIP, even if it was Chase's expense, would it have been billed to EIP like that?

Ok, I found this in the preliminary hearing transcripts:

27 Q Did David Sequieda provide you with an e-mail from Joseph
28 regarding an unpaid invoice for a project?
1 A Yes, he did.
2 Q What did that e-mail say?
3 A It was an e-mail to Joseph asking about funds for
4 materials. Joseph's response to that e-mail was, as he had
5 talked about before, that Chase was responsible for the
6 materials, the creating, as far as the materials go, to ship.
7 And that if he wouldn't pay that, Joseph would take care of it
8 again, like he had done in the past. Basically, he would pay
9 the debt.
10 Q When was that e-mail?
11 A I don't recall the date.
12 Q Do you recall how long in relation to February 4th?
13 A It was approximately one month prior.
14 Q Did you ask the defendant during the October 22nd, 2014
15 interview whether Joseph owed Metro Sheet Metal money? Or did
16 you ask him about these checks that were created to Metro Sheet
17 Metal?
18 A Yes, I did.
19 Q What did he tell you about those checks?
20 A He said Joseph gave Merritt checks to pay Metro Sheet
21 Metal.

IF the above is true... why didn't this come up in direct testimony from Sequieda? I wonder if it was not allowed for some reason?

ETA: the invoice was still sent to EIP, even if it was Chase's expense, would it have been billed to EIP like that?

See, that makes sense and I can see why the state would want to explain that to the jury.

But unfortunately it didnt come through as clear in today's testimony as it does in the above transcript. It seemed very muddled and confusing to me. Like they were talking in circles. I had a hard time understanding what the point was.

See, that makes sense and I can see why the state would want to explain that to the jury.

But unfortunately it didnt come through as clear in today's testimony as it does in the above transcript. It seemed very muddled and confusing to me. Like they were talking in circles. I had a hard time understanding what the point was.

I can see why the state would want to explain it to the jury too, but they didn't, unless I missed some testimony today lol

I thought todays witnesses were great! It is just starting to get interesting in my opinion.

On another subject, I have been thinking about the day 4th Feb 2010. Summer went shopping at a Ross store as I recall...Something odd to me that stands out (could be just my overactive imagination)...if Summer drove the big green truck where were the kids booster seats? I mean surely you wouldn't let 2 young kids sit in the back just on the normal seats? There were however boosters in the Trooper.

Just a thought ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member