CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@oceanblueeyes I did look up how to get the transcripts, it's not that easy and then they would have to be paid for. I wish someone could convince the defense to post them online or something LOL Lots is lost in the transcripts too though. The ONLY good thing about them only going Mon-Thur for 4.5 hours a day is that it does make it easier to catch up! At least we have the videos :)

Thanks. I just feel a lot is being lost and missed that may be very important.

Unfortunately, I don't have that many hours at one time every day to devote to catching up.

At least with written transcripts it does show what has been said.

Imo

So San Bernardino County did get a search warrant for Kavanaugh's phone records back in December 2013. So much for the defense claim that he wasn't investigated.

Despite his objections, I thought the prosecutor Daugherty's body language was pretty relaxed when T-Mobile guy was sitting at the defense desk computer.

I missed a little bit of Carmen's testimony when she said that she spoke to Merritt about not being able to get in contact with Joey. I did hear the part at the end where the defense were trying to get her to commit to seeing Merritt mid-morning on Monday 8th, and the prosecution adding the words to the calendar that she was unsure about that.

This tweet sounds to me as if she phoned Merritt on Monday 8th rather than saw him:

"Carman Garcia testifies she contacted Merritt on Feb 8, 2010 when she hadn't been able to get a hold of Joseph. Merritt asked her what she needed Joseph for. She told him she had some issues about some jobs. She doesn't recall Merritt's response"
Cathy Russon (@cathyrusson) | Twitter

I missed a little bit of Carmen's testimony when she said that she spoke to Merritt about not being able to get in contact with Joey. I did hear the part at the end where the defense were trying to get her to commit to seeing Merritt mid-morning on Monday 8th, and the prosecution adding the words to the calendar that she was unsure about that.

This tweet sounds to me as if she phoned Merritt on Monday 8th rather than saw him:

"Carman Garcia testifies she contacted Merritt on Feb 8, 2010 when she hadn't been able to get a hold of Joseph. Merritt asked her what she needed Joseph for. She told him she had some issues about some jobs. She doesn't recall Merritt's response"
Cathy Russon (@cathyrusson) | Twitter

Keep in mind that I don't think Cathy is there this week, she is watching just like us. I need to go back and listen to all the testimony today. I do think she said contact at first... but that seemed to change, I had to reload a few times, so I missed some too.

So San Bernardino County did get a search warrant for Kavanaugh's phone records back in December 2013. So much for the defense claim that he wasn't investigated.

Despite his objections, I thought the prosecutor Daugherty's body language was pretty relaxed when T-Mobile guy was sitting at the defense desk computer.

The defense did subpoena some records from them, I don't know which one's, but it was much later I think (I seem to recall it being in 2016), there were hearings about them and not complying. IIRC We know now that Dan and Joey and I'm guessing Summer had T-mobile phones.

ETA: actually, it might have been AT&T that wasn't handing over some records.

Last edited:
I have a question. I am watching the testimony from Ryan Smith and the comparison is on the screen of the neighbor's video image to the shots that LE took of the truck headlights. I don't know if the neighbor was still living in the home when LE shot those photos but if so why didn't they just use her video camera to video the truck and see if it matched the video from Feb. 4, 2010?

I have a question. I am watching the testimony from Ryan Smith and the comparison is on the screen of the neighbor's video image to the shots that LE took of the truck headlights. I don't know if the neighbor was still living in the home when LE shot those photos but if so why didn't they just use her video camera to video the truck and see if it matched the video from Feb. 4, 2010?

I don't think she was there still.

So Carmen said that MSM was supposed to be getting a percentage of the fountains, and that Joseph wasn't being forthcoming about the selling price of the fountains. I guess this would make it a bit different. From what Sequieda testifed about, I couldn't help but think it was none of his business what Joey sold the fountains for. She doesn't say what the percentage was supposed to be though. I am not sure why Dave Sequieda Sr. isn't testifying, seems like he should know all of this.

Now I have to wait for more video's to get uploaded :mad::mad:

ETA: I'm not sure how them getting a percentage makes sense in this case... Them being paid for the work that they do and product makes sense to me. JMO

I will have a look in my file :D

View attachment 166861
It actually shows parked cars too!

At 1:06:52 a vehicle drives past the security camera, with the headlights glowing along the McStay side of the street, I think you'd be able to see if Joey's Isuzu were parked out front (and given the narrowness of the road, it would have had to veer to its left to avoid hitting it):

At 1:07:03 the white vehicle leaves the McStay driveway going the opposite way the vehicle that passed went.

I don't think the Isuzu was at the house at this time (unless LE is wrong and it's what Chase is driving away, which I still have doubts about, but the running light visuals raised questions in my mind).

At 1:06:52 a vehicle drives past the security camera, with the headlights glowing along the McStay side of the street, I think you'd be able to see if Joey's Isuzu were parked out front (and given the narrowness of the road, it would have had to veer to its left to avoid hitting it):

At 1:07:03 the white vehicle leaves the McStay driveway going the opposite way the vehicle that passed went.

I don't think the Isuzu was at the house at this time (unless LE is wrong and it's what Chase is driving away, which I still have doubts about, but the running light visuals raised questions in my mind).
My impression from watching Smith testifying is the running lights on the old footage are actually working. I think he pointed out that the camera was not the same quality as the one they used, not the same exact angle or distance. Smith took the footage standing on the sidewalk. I didn't catch if he asked him about the height of the tail light.

Is it just me?
What I see/hear is BOTH the prosecutors and the defence meandering ALL over the place.
WS members here on this forum have put together better timelines then any of these lawyers.
These prosecutors should have the scenario of what LIKELY went down and definitive evidence to back up their claims.
NOW. Not in a wrap it up closing statement. Right now And then repeated in their closing statement.
This is 2019. They should have a great powerpoint presentation. Putting all the evidence in a logical way.
Now.
Not as a last gasp at closing.
All of these tidbits from witnesses is only showing that Chase Merritt was a slime that you should not do business with.
Prosecutors need to put the puzzle together and present it.
Let the defence refute.
An entire family was brutally murdered over Chase Merritt's stealing and fear of the 3 strikes your out law in California at the time.

Why the hell are these prosecutors NOT bringing this up?
It's so damn obvious to me.

Transcribed:

Daugherty: You were asked some questions on Tuesday about the last known contact…um, on contact for Joseph…with…for Joseph Mcstay. Do you recall that line of questioning?
Smith: I do.
Daugherty: Okay and the line of questioning was in regards to the information you had was the last time Joseph Mcstay contacted anyone.
Smith: Correct.
Daugherty: And in your answer you indicated his last known cell phone contact.
Smith: Yes sir.
Daugherty: Um…..would that be the last contact he had, with anyone?
Smith: No…
Daugherty: Explain, please.
Smith: The last person the family contacted was….the killer.

Is it just me?
What I see/hear is BOTH the prosecutors and the defence meandering ALL over the place.
WS members here on this forum have put together better timelines then any of these lawyers.
These prosecutors should have the scenario of what LIKELY went down and definitive evidence to back up their claims.
NOW. Not in a wrap it up closing statement. Right now And then repeated in their closing statement.
This is 2019. They should have a great powerpoint presentation. Putting all the evidence in a logical way.
Now.
Not as a last gasp at closing.
All of these tidbits from witnesses is only showing that Chase Merritt was a slime that you should not do business with.
Prosecutors need to put the puzzle together and present it.
Let the defence refute.
An entire family was brutally murdered over Chase Merritt's stealing and fear of the 3 strikes your out law in California at the time.

Why the hell are these prosecutors NOT bringing this up?
It's so damn obvious to me.

I think there is more than 1 poster here that HAS put together better timelines than what they are doing LOL

I don't know how many tidbits have been actually shown that show Chase is a slimeball. I think he is, you think he is, but has the prosecution actually shown this? I don't think so.

Sequieda testified that he wasn't allowed in the building without anyone there... Carmen today said he came and went as he pleased and he had a key.

Geis construction people testified... but what came of that? I don't think they showed anything either. Chase was not the only person working on these fountains and he wasn't the one handling the finances at that time, Mike, Susan and Dan were.

Elva testified that Chase used some of the pumps that were meant for Joey's fountains. She said she told Joey, Joey continued to do business with Chase until he was killed. She said that one time when Chase couldn't make payroll, he told Joey a fountain was finished so he could get paid (to pay his employees), she then said that she talked to Joey and told him where the project was at and it wasn't completed, Joey still paid Chase and continued to do business with him.

We may know more, but the jury doesn't, or shouldn't if it's not in the trial. I am afraid that what we know isn't going to come out. I'm worried they are not going to have the hate for him like some here have had for years believing he did this. If the prosecution can't get this info to the jury, I just don't know.

I am looking forward to the cell info and the financial info, THIS is the State's best evidence IMO.

Transcribed:

Daugherty: You were asked some questions on Tuesday about the last known contact…um, on contact for Joseph…with…for Joseph Mcstay. Do you recall that line of questioning?
Smith: I do.
Daugherty: Okay and the line of questioning was in regards to the information you had was the last time Joseph Mcstay contacted anyone.
Smith: Correct.
Daugherty: And in your answer you indicated his last known cell phone contact.
Smith: Yes sir.
Daugherty: Um…..would that be the last contact he had, with anyone?
Smith: No…
Daugherty: Explain, please.
Smith: The last person the family contacted was….the killer.

THANK YOU! However... wasn't this sustained and the jury was instructed to disregard?

for anyone interested, the T-Mobile guy going to the Defense table to look at the computer is at 22:00 of this video. I really wanted to listen to this again because at first I was confused to what he was looking at and why... probably still will be after watching it again haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia