CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my original thought but @MrsEmmaPeel has me convinced the Lead Sheriff was first-on-the-scene late that first full day/night because a mover-and-shaker had his ear.
OK. I'll buy that as a very good explanation. Their real estate agent would be my next guess. She helped them buy multiple properties, that requires a lot of contact, and of course she knew where the properties were. She may have heard from the nanny, or noticed herself that they were not responding. MOO

I'm a little doubtful about that "well prepared" comment- might mean they brought water and weren't wearing flip flops. I figure the sheriffs are well-qualified when it comes to analyzing footprints, so I expect that information was accurate, and they went down the Hites Cove Trail. Since it is quite some distance along the river from the Hites Cove Trail to the Savage Lundy trail, I hadn't considered that they didn't intend to do the loop. I prefer loops, and 8.5 miles and 2000' of elevation gain is a nice workout for a regular hiker on a typical hike. The catches with this hike being that the first 5.5 miles is easy, and all the effort comes in the last 3 miles. And the heat and exposure.
Thank you and I would most certainly agree with you if that was my intention. Would you take a dog and your 12 month old child?

I'm a little doubtful about that "well prepared" comment- might mean they brought water and weren't wearing flip flops. I figure the sheriffs are well-qualified when it comes to analyzing footprints, so I expect that information was accurate, and they went down the Hites Cove Trail. Since it is quite some distance along the river from the Hites Cove Trail to the Savage Lundy trail, I hadn't considered that they didn't intend to do the loop. I prefer loops, and 8.5 miles and 2000' of elevation gain is a nice workout for a regular hiker on a typical hike. The catches with this hike being that the first 5.5 miles is easy, and all the effort comes in the last 3 miles. And the heat and exposure.
Thank you and I would most certainly agree with you if that was my intention. Would you take a dog and your 12 month old child?

Pumphouse363, what do you think happened?
I am not at liberty to say because of the rules of this site. However, if at the conclusion of the enquiry, the full facts are not made available to the public ie exactly what they were wearing/carrying etc - I will make them available in the hope someone will understand why I can’t accept what has happened. MOO

That is exactly what they did, though. Are you suggesting they never intended to go hiking at all or they didn't intend to hike the entire loop?
Where is the evidence they did the entire loop? A few footprints at the start of the HC trail? Did LE follow the entire trail to discover the family? At 2am it would have been very dark searching. The family were spotted at 11am by the helicopter on the SL trail. As I said earlier, all the facts are not currently available to the general public. Sorry I have so little to contribute - I’m just searching for reasons. MOO

Snipped for focused reply, and BBM.
Was LE wearing hazmat ventilators?
If not, then why didn't they succumb to hypothesized algae bloom fumes as well?

Amateur opinion and speculation
Early on in these threads there was a report by MSM one SAR person searching the trail had to be rescued due to heat exhaustion and the search by dogs had to be called off due to paw pads being burned.
Please don't ask me to find it but there's a link someone posted here somewhere.

Early on in these threads there was a report by MSM one SAR person searching the trail had to be rescued due to heat exhaustion and the search by dogs had to be called off due to paw pads being burned.
Please don't ask me to find it but there's a link someone posted here somewhere.
Thank you, this is very helpful.
This certainly is a puzzling case.

Where is the evidence they did the entire loop? A few footprints at the start of the HC trail? Did LE follow the entire trail to discover the family? At 2am it would have been very dark searching. The family were spotted at 11am by the helicopter on the SL trail. As I said earlier, all the facts are not currently available to the general public. Sorry I have so little to contribute - I’m just searching for reasons. MOO
We don't know that they attempted the whole loop. Many have speculated that they entered from the other entrance, a mile and a half from where they parked.

LE said they "thought" they planned to hike the loop, based on their tracks, but they never confirmed that. As I've said before, this is what they said at the beginning of the investigation and we don't know what they've learned since then.

I was not clear what you meant and that's why I asked.

I still think it's possible that they intended to be out for a few hours and be back by 11:00 or so, before the hottest part of the day, based on the amount of water they had and the fact they apparently did not die from dehydration.

I have no doubt LE is investigating thoroughly, which is probably why they are waiting for the final autopsy report. They want to provide answers for their family and sometimes that takes time.

IMO

Still no new leads about how county family died | Mariposa Gazette

This article is mosy behind a paywall, but this is the most important visible paragraph.

Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said on Tuesday morning they continue to wait for official results from various experts around the country in an effort to solve the mystery.

I am not at liberty to say because of the rules of this site. However, if at the conclusion of the enquiry, the full facts are not made available to the public ie exactly what they were wearing/carrying etc - I will make them available in the hope someone will understand why I can’t accept what has happened. MOO

@Pumphouse363 Could you maybe take the steps to become a Verified Contributor or whatever the term is? I think this would perhaps allow you to post more freely than you are doing now <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pumphouse363 Could you maybe take the steps to become a Verified Contributor or whatever the term is? I think this would perhaps allow you to post more freely than you are doing now <modsnip>
I am considering the possibility of becoming a verified contributor when I am in receipt of certain other information and with the consent of other family members. At this stage I can only continue to seek alternative solutions to this terrible event.

We don't know that they attempted the whole loop. Many have speculated that they entered from the other entrance, a mile and a half from where they parked.

LE said they "thought" they planned to hike the loop, based on their tracks, but they never confirmed that. As I've said before, this is what they said at the beginning of the investigation and we don't know what they've learned since then.

I was not clear what you meant and that's why I asked.

I still think it's possible that they intended to be out for a few hours and be back by 11:00 or so, before the hottest part of the day, based on the amount of water they had and the fact they apparently did not die from dehydration.

I have no doubt LE is investigating thoroughly, which is probably why they are waiting for the final autopsy report. They want to provide answers for their family and sometimes that takes time.

IMO

Ms Betsy, how do we know they actually went for a hike at all? I know this question seems strange, but what other evidence was there that placed them at ANY other points (on any of the potential routes they could've taken) other than where their bodies were found?

Were their footprints found all along the trail?

Their bodies were discovered approximately 1.5miles from where their vehicle was parked. The same vehicle was spotted by eyewitnesses en route to the trail head, but it was purely the vehicle that was positively identified, not the occupants within it...

MOO

They don't say who it was that called the sheriff, but my money is on the nanny. She would know the family's routine, probably liked them a lot (everyone seemed to), and loved the baby. She would be more likely to know about the properties they had bought than the sheriff, perhaps she suggested it, or he asked her where she thought they might have gone. Definitely kudos to the officer who jumped right on it and found their truck right away. Pure speculation, MOO.
Original Story:

The Mariposa County Sheriff's Office says a family has been reported missing since Saturday.

A family friend says Ellen Chung and Jonathan Gerrish went missing with their child and family dog.

The last contact was a photo they uploaded Sunday at 6:45 a.m. of the baby backpack they take with them.

The couple is originally from San Francisco but they now live in Mariposa.

Rosanna Heaslett says they did not return home or to work on Monday.

She says they hike on weekends and hoping someone may have seen them so we can give the additional info to the sheriff's office.

They drive a newer dark grey Ford Raptor, possibly 2020.

Jonathan is about 6'2" tall with long hair he wears in a ponytail and has a prominent English accent.

Ellen is a petite Korean woman with an athletic build.

They have a 1-year-old daughter and a golden retriever who would be with them as well.

If you believe you saw them, please call the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office (209) 966-3615.
Rosanna Heaslett is not Miju’s nanny.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Thank you - I am not a verified contributor so I don’t think I’m allowed to provide any information that is not already in the public domain. I don’t want to infringe any rules on this site as I have found the many contributions and theories extremely helpful.

Absolute best article I've read on the real dangers of hiking -- "A DOZEN WAYS TO DIE: How do hikers meet their maker in the backcountry? The answers may surprise you" -- from Backpacker.com. With analysis and advice. 1. Falls 2. Drowning 3. Heart Attack 4. Hyperthermia 5. Heat Stress. 6. Lightning (in that order) My guess is that the odds of their deaths fall within these scenarios.

"Most of these victims made mistakes–the same kind we all get away with on a regular basis. And therein lies the point: We’re not replaying these tragedies to wallow in others’ misfortunes. In each tale, we see a bit of ourselves, plus a few lessons that may help you avoid a similar fate." A Dozen Ways to Die
This is a brilliant article with some great advice. However, nowhere does it suggest that you shouldn’t venture out in temperatures over 100 degrees with a dog and a one year old child.

This is a brilliant article with some great advice. However, nowhere does it suggest that you shouldn’t venture out in temperatures over 100 degrees with a dog and a one year old child.

The article’s #5 reason is “Heat Stress” so presumably if adults can die one would extrapolate this applies also babies and dogs.

They could be more specific about that, agreed.

Also their advice to counteract heat with heat training/losing weight/stashing water leaves out one big tip: Don’t go. Don’t go out in the heat if you can avoid it. If you have the choice.

Exactly. All these tips are great, but they don't explain what happened here.
Very unusual to take an infant and the pet dog out in that unforgiving heat.
I hope additional information comes soon. I'm sure many people in the hiking community are deeply concerned, and feel terrible for this young family.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member