CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
October 15, 2018
Authorities Search for 16-Year-Old Girl Who Disappeared Over the Weekend in Mono County

Karlie Lain Guse was last seen during the early morning hours on Saturday in the area of White Mountain Estates Road and Ponderosa Street, the Mono County Sheriff’s Office posted on its Facebook page. [...]

Scent dogs, helicopters and ground resources were utilized in the search for Guse, but she still had not been located as of Monday afternoon.

An "exhaustive search" took place around her home and in the nearby city of Bishop, which is over the county line in Inyo County, and "many inquiries" had been made with the teen's friends in Bishop, the Sheriff's Office said.

My hinky meter is going off so hard it might break!
Yup, something isn't right here. I still believe the most likely scenario is Karlie walked off on her own accord however why is a big mystery. Was she running to something or from something? Or was she under the influence of someone/thing that didn't allow her to exercise proper judgement.

I did like the bio mom's comment on Gray's interview saying that instead of SM/dad being so concerned that people are "investigating them", you should welcome that because it might help crack the case and also SM was one of the last people to see her. A good investigation always starts with close family/friends and last person or people to see the individual. Bio mom said feel free to investigate me, I'm right here and have nothing to hide.

Since this one is a bit hard to keep track of, here is the list of major players:

- Karlie Guse (missing teenager - focus of the thread, abbreviated 'KG', all relationships after are to her)
- Lindsay Fairley (biological mother - often referred to as 'Mom')
- Melissa Guse (stepmother - referred to as 'MG' or 'Stepmom', last one to see her and central figure)
- Zac Guse (biological father - may be abbreviated 'ZG')
- Donald Arrowood III (boyfriend - allegedly who she attended party with night before disappearance)

The early story here alleged that Karlie told Stepmom she was attending a football game but then calling her to come get her. All info below is from video Stepmom made saying that she:

- Found Karlie alone and she was very apologetic in admitting she had attended a party which boyfriend confirmed and smoked marijuana and was 'acting paranoid' on drive home (also referred to as 'disoriented')
- Didn't take Karlie to a hospital because she "was a teen who smoked marijuana" and didn't think it was something to go to that step over
- Took her home, she ate a salad then wanted to do several things with Stepmom like paint nails and 'color'
- Karlie then said she wanted to go to bed and asked if Stepmom would lay with her which she did
- Woke up and saw Karlie laying next to her awake at 5:45 AM on morning of her disappearance, then fell back asleep and when she woke up around 7:15 AM, Karlie had vanished

The more I read into this story, it sounds like whatever Karlie smoked was laced with some kind of hallucinogen or something that caused a very adverse reaction mentally. She did not appear to be right when Stepmom picked her up on night before she vanished and likely needed medical care to take something to counter the drug's effects or outright go to a hospital.

Throughout the night before she vanished, Karlie seems to be displaying behaviors of someone who is under the influence of something other/more than marijuana. There are several inconsistencies in Stepmom's story imo but the last part of it makes sense - that Karlie was under the influence of something, got up and wandered off down the highway. It also can explain why she wouldn't have her phone - if she wasn't right mentally I can see someone whose age and body aren't mature enough to handle drugs just wandering off. If the timeframe is correct, that gives her up to a 90 minute head start.

Most humans can walk around 3 MPH at an average pace and my assumption is given the state Karlie was in she wasn't running or sprinting. If she left shortly after Stepmom fell back asleep, she could've traveled approximately 4.5 miles in any direction. Given where the family lives and the mountains and hills that surround them, that's a wide range of tough terrain to cover. It's possible by the time searches outside the immediate home were started, Karlie was even further away.

As far as what happened to her, there are lots of possibilities but unfortunately not many of them are good ends. :( If she did just walk off under the influence, the drugs would've eventually worn off and she could've tried to return home or find a phone to call someone. It's looking more to me like she ended up in the mountains that surround their home which leads to all kinds of bad potential endings.

Abduction is possible but it would've had to be either a member of her family such as Stepmom or dad or a totally random person along the highway. Again while possible, to me these aren't likely and the simplest answer is she was under the influence of a drug and was not right mentally and wandered off.

Still praying for a good outcome here but given the length of time she's been gone, it's becoming tougher.

Since this one is a bit hard to keep track of, here is the list of major players:

- Karlie Guse (missing teenager - focus of the thread, abbreviated 'KG', all relationships after are to her)
- Melissa Guse (stepmother - referred to as 'MG' or 'Stepmom', last one to see her and central figure)
- Donald Arrowood III (boyfriend - allegedly who she attended party with night before disappearance)

The early story here alleged that Karlie told Stepmom she was attending a football game but then calling her to come get her. All info below is from video Stepmom made saying that she:

- Found Karlie alone and she was very apologetic in admitting she had attended a party which boyfriend confirmed and smoked marijuana and was 'acting paranoid' on drive home (also referred to as 'disoriented')
- Didn't take Karlie to a hospital because she "was a teen who smoked marijuana" and didn't think it was something to go to that step over
- Took her home, she ate a salad then wanted to do several things with Stepmom like paint nails and 'color'
- Karlie then said she wanted to go to bed and asked if Stepmom would lay with her which she did
- Woke up and saw Karlie laying next to her awake at 5:45 AM on morning of her disappearance, then fell back asleep and when she woke up around 7:15 AM, Karlie had vanished

The more I read into this story, it sounds like whatever Karlie smoked was laced with some kind of hallucinogen or something that caused a very adverse reaction mentally. She did not appear to be right when Stepmom picked her up on night before she vanished and likely needed medical care to take something to counter the drug's effects or outright go to a hospital.

Throughout the night before she vanished, Karlie seems to be displaying behaviors of someone who is under the influence of something other/more than marijuana. There are several inconsistencies in Stepmom's story imo but the last part of it makes sense - that Karlie was under the influence of something, got up and wandered off down the highway. It also can explain why she wouldn't have her phone - if she wasn't right mentally I can see someone whose age and body aren't mature enough to handle drugs just wandering off. If the timeframe is correct, that gives her up to a 90 minute head start.

Most humans can walk around 3 MPH at an average pace and my assumption is given the state Karlie was in she wasn't running or sprinting. If she left shortly after Stepmom fell back asleep, she could've traveled approximately 4.5 miles in any direction. Given where the family lives and the mountains and hills that surround them, that's a wide range of tough terrain to cover. It's possible by the time searches outside the immediate home were started, Karlie was even further away.

As far as what happened to her, there are lots of possibilities but unfortunately not many of them are good ends. :( If she did just walk off under the influence, the drugs would've eventually worn off and she could've tried to return home or find a phone to call someone. It's looking more to me like she ended up in the mountains that surround their home which leads to all kinds of bad potential endings.

Abduction is possible but it would've had to be either a member of her family such as Stepmom or dad or a totally random person along the highway. Again while possible, to me these aren't likely and the simplest answer is she was under the influence of a drug and was not right mentally and wandered off.

Still praying for a good outcome here but given the length of time she's been gone, it's becoming tougher.

I had mentioned earlier on in the discussion that if she did wander up in the mountains and was still in her paranoid state, it is possible she went into an old abandoned mine to seek some sort of shelter and was injured and couldn't get out or maybe she fell down a mine shaft. There are so many mines up in the White Mountains that it is a possibility and I wonder if the LE has taken that into account.

Listened to both interviews now. I believe KG was scared of SM and dad because she smoked when shouldn't have due to recently getting in trouble. Assuming that's where the your gna kill me came from and not spoken in a literal sense maybe once home dad was upset and that's why she was acting scared.. moo

Finally someone is thinking logical. IN trouble again for pot smoking and she ran away.
Left voluntarily is the most likely outcome yes, but I still am going with 'wandered' away meaning she was in a dazed mental state from whatever she smoked and it was messing with her head. Combine that with the fear she may have had from SM's wrath (hence the "you're gonna kill me!" comment) and whatever other emotions from a teenager who knew she was probably in trouble and you have an environment where KG was apt to do something she normally wouldn't.

I equate 'ran away' to KG having full use of all her mental faculties and purposely setting up a scenario where she could get away from SM and ZG. Also if she was going to do that, wouldn't she reach out or try to go to other family members, maybe even LF? If she was going to straight run away, why call SM to come get her and why admit to smoking marijuana? Why not just leave from the party and not come home? SM picked her up pretty early from reports. If KG wanted to straight vanish, she had an easy opportunity to do that after smoking marijuana and didn't - she called SM to come get her.

'Wandered away' means that if she wasn't under the influence, she likely wouldn't have left. I still maintain if she had just ran away and wasn't under the influence of anything and was just out there somewhere living in another city or place, she would've reached out to LF or someone else in her family and would've had to have seen all her missing posters and family interviews by now. Maybe at first she thought she was in huge trouble but after seeing everyone from her family telling her how much they love her and just want her back, that's likely to pull at the heartstrings of a 16-year old and talk them into returning. I obviously don't know KG but she seems like a normal teenager with emotions who was reasonably close with her family so after two weeks of hearing how much they all are broken up by her being missing might be enough to make her think I can go back now and it'll be OK.

So yes, I think she left on her own volition too but wouldn't have if she hadn't been under the influence. At this point I hope she's hiding out somewhere and is afraid to come back for fear of punishment by SM/ZG because that would mean she's alive and OK but logically I don't think that's what we have here. :(

Last edited:
Latest from MCSO.
At this time, this remains a Missing Person investigation. There is no evidence of an abduction or any other crime. However, we are considering all possibilities and are investigating every potential aspect in case this becomes a criminal investigation. While we understand the questions many people have, we will not release any details from our investigation unless those details will help locate Karlie.

Mono County Sheriff's Office

Left voluntarily is the most likely outcome yes, but I still am going with 'wandered' away meaning she was in a dazed mental state from whatever she smoked and it was messing with her head. Combine that with the fear she may have had from SM's wrath (hence the "you're gonna kill me!" comment) and whatever other emotions from a teenager who knew she was probably in trouble and you have an environment where KG was apt to do something she normally wouldn't.

I equate 'ran away' to KG having full use of all her mental faculties and purposely setting up a scenario where she could get away from SM and ZG. Also if she was going to do that, wouldn't she reach out or try to go to other family members, maybe even LF? If she was going to straight run away, why call SM to come get her and why admit to smoking marijuana? Why not just leave from the party and not come home? SM picked her up pretty early from reports. If KG wanted to straight vanish, she had an easy opportunity to do that after smoking marijuana and didn't - she called SM to come get her.

'Wandered away' means that if she wasn't under the influence, she likely wouldn't have left. I still maintain if she had just ran away and wasn't under the influence of anything and was just out there somewhere living in another city or place, she would've reached out to LF or someone else in her family and would've had to have seen all her missing posters and family interviews by now. Maybe at first she thought she was in huge trouble but after seeing everyone from her family telling her how much they love her and just want her back, that's likely to pull at the heartstrings of a 16-year old and talk them into returning. I obviously don't know KG but she seems like a normal teenager with emotions who was reasonably close with her family so after two weeks of hearing how much they all are broken up by her being missing might be enough to make her think I can go back now and it'll be OK.

So yes, I think she left on her own volition too but wouldn't have if she hadn't been under the influence. At this point I hope she's hiding out somewhere and is afraid to come back for fear of punishment by SM/ZG because that would mean she's alive and OK but logically I don't think that's what we have here. :(
I don’t think she was high when she left. I think it is reported “possible disoriented” because she was high the night before. I think she sobered up, and was cognizant to what she was doing. I think the cell phone was left on purpose so the family could not track.

This would also explain why the police aren’t doing active searches, Is it possible they have evidence that indicates she left on her own accord?

It seems that many of the clo

I believe she was sober by the morning, the only reason I believe police released , possible disoriention was from her actions the night before. I think it may have been a run away but still not sure if she got into a car willingly or unwillingly on the highway.

The NG was cringey. My main wtf parts of the story SM has told - originally SM went about her normal routine of waking the kids on a Saturday at 5:45 and felt panicked when she wasn’t in her room. Now she was asleep next to her? Which is creepy in its own right IF true. Also that the dad found her footprints on some random mountain!! Huh? She must have had custom sneakers with her name embossed on the soles? How the eff else could you know who’s feet they were?!

The NG was cringey. My main wtf parts of the story SM has told - originally SM went about her normal routine of waking the kids on a Saturday at 5:45 and felt panicked when she wasn’t in her room. Now she was asleep next to her? Which is creepy in its own right IF true. Also that the dad found her footprints on some random mountain!! Huh? She must have had custom sneakers with her name embossed on the soles? How the eff else could you know who’s feet they were?!
I agree but it wasn't some random mountain. Their house backs up to a mountain range with dirt roads that go from the end of the road. Look on google maps at white mountain estates to see. Imo there are more cars offroading than people walking..

I believe there are some small town politics regarding step moms original statements. With karlie getting suspended recently for pot usage, I’m not sure SM wanted to be forthcoming with the paranoia and smoking the night before. At that point talking to dateline of her disappearance, I’m not sure SM was ready to shame her daughter on a national stage. That is where the statement that NG and everyone has been referring to. A dateline statement. It doesn’t mean that’s the statement given to police, And I DO think the police knew the correct timeline and story because of the original “disoriented” press release.

Regarding the shoes. She wears vans. Vans have a very distinctive shoe print. In a community of only 35 homes, backed up to a mountain, it could be that the father was overly optimistic.

If you dig really deep and see what some of the kids are saying, her friends, they specifically ask that no one wear vans while the initial search was happening.

Sixteen-year-old Karlie Gusé missing after vanishing from California home

That's good to hear about the Van's. That is hopeful news. Thank You.

I do have one question. Why does she wake up the kids at 5:45 am on a Saturdayy? Is that a normal routine?

My kids would not have been happy if I ever tried that, unless we were going skiing or something like that. But SM said she went back to sleep. ?

I believe there are some small town politics regarding step moms original statements. With karlie getting suspended recently for pot usage, I’m not sure SM wanted to be forthcoming with the paranoia and smoking the night before. At that point talking to dateline of her disappearance, I’m not sure SM was ready to shame her daughter on a national stage. That is where the statement that NG and everyone has been referring to. A dateline statement. It doesn’t mean that’s the statement given to police, And I DO think the police knew the correct timeline and story because of the original “disoriented” press release.

Regarding the shoes. She wears vans. Vans have a very distinctive shoe print. In a community of only 35 homes, backed up to a mountain, it could be that the father was overly optimistic.

If you dig really deep and see what some of the kids are saying, her friends, they specifically ask that no one wear vans while the initial search was happening.

Sixteen-year-old Karlie Gusé missing after vanishing from California home

My point exactly. She’s wearing literally one of the most popular brands of shoes worn by kids across the continental US. It’s a little far fetched that it’s her specific shoes, you won’t convince me. Also, lying to the public to not shame her teenage pothead? It’s legal all over, that’s silly. <modsnip - not victim friendly, personalizing>

Last edited by a moderator:

Marijuana is a mild hallucinogen. I doubt it was laced. I've had experiences as a teen/young adult when I smoked marijuana and I've witnessed multiple episodes with others, where you become super disorientated and paranoid. I call it marinoia. Many people do.

For me this only happened wen I smoked something super powerful. Time would slow way down and everything would sort of look like it's in frames. Like shifting movie frames. I can't explain well but what I could see would have sort of shifts/pauses as my eyes scanned around so it seemed like frames in a movie real kind of.

Sometimes body parts feel weird - huge or not working properly. My brother and ex have had moments when they felt they couldn't swallow.

This is not common and only happens usually to people not used to smoking or ingesting marijuana and/or of they suddenly get a super potent dose they're not used to.

https://www.nd.gov.hk/text/en/public/pdf/udap_cannabis.pdf

Marijuana wears off in a few hours. Depending on what time she smoked it or whatever, it should've worn off by 7:30 am.

I've never really heard of people being super high on pot wandering. They typically hunker down and don't want to go far. Indica is often called "couch lock" as a result of that.

It also makes you feel sleepy when super high.

Unless it was laced with meth I don't see her wandering. And I really don't see teenagers lacing pot with meth or something like that.

Not unless they're known meth users.

One thing, however, that I've mentioned in other cases of missing young people who might have been using drugs is that drug use of any kind can trigger psychosis in people who are experiencing an onset of schizophrenia. It can trigger that onset. And this is the age for it.

I would like to hear from friends and her boyfriend if she had been acting withdrawn or more quiet than usual in the days leading up to this.

I'm troubled by the inconsistencies in stepmom's story as well as apparently locking the bio mom out of info. That is odd.

I've never really heard of people being super high on pot wandering. They typically hunker down and don't want to go far. Indica is often called "couch lock" as a result of that.

It also makes you feel sleepy when super high.

Unless it was laced with meth I don't see her wandering. And I really don't see teenagers lacing pot with meth or something like that.

Not unless they're known meth users.

One thing, however, that I've mentioned in other cases of missing young people who might have been using drugs is that drug use of any kind can trigger psychosis in people who are experiencing an onset of schizophrenia. It can trigger that onset. And this is the age for it.

I would like to hear from friends and her boyfriend if she had been acting withdrawn or more quiet than usual in the days leading up to this.

I'm troubled by the inconsistencies in stepmom's story as well as apparently locking the bio mom out of info. That is odd.
In BioM interview 10/25 with Gray Hughes Investigates, she responded to depression inquiry that KG had been "down on herself" (i.e., teenage angst) about 30 days prior to disappearing. Also provided that boyfriend and friends insisted that this was only pot, no additives. The impression I got was that these kids all smoked the same thing without alleged reaction described by SM. MOO

daily MJ smoker here, for over 20 years - unless it was laced with something or was synthetic (I KNOW THERE ARE REPORTS THAT SHE ONLY SMOKED WEED, NOTHING ELSE AND THAT IT WAS NOT LACED) then this is not disorientation due to smoking weed. Even if she smoked an ounce of the very best strain, that is not what this is. It's just not. No way anyone can get me to believe that. Even had she suffered a very rare allergic reaction, that reaction would have worn off, and does not generally include "disorientation".

Marijuana is a mild hallucinogen. I doubt it was laced. I've had experiences as a teen/young adult when I smoked marijuana and I've witnessed multiple episodes with others, where you become super disorientated and paranoid. I call it marinoia. Many people do.

For me this only happened wen I smoked something super powerful. Time would slow way down and everything would sort of look like it's in frames. Like shifting movie frames. I can't explain well but what I could see would have sort of shifts/pauses as my eyes scanned around so it seemed like frames in a movie real kind of.

Sometimes body parts feel weird - huge or not working properly. My brother and ex have had moments when they felt they couldn't swallow.

Agree. That is the quality dope. But its only for those that build a tolerance beforehand. And everyone else will just trip out for a while with a case of paranoia and possible anxiety.

Usually a cold shower can quickly bring that paranoia down a couple of notches.

daily MJ smoker here, for over 20 years - unless it was laced with something or was synthetic (I KNOW THERE ARE REPORTS THAT SHE ONLY SMOKED WEED, NOTHING ELSE AND THAT IT WAS NOT LACED) then this is not disorientation due to smoking weed. Even if she smoked an ounce of the very best strain, that is not what this is. It's just not. No way anyone can get me to believe that. Even had she suffered a very rare allergic reaction, that reaction would have worn off, and does not generally include "disorientation".
Exactly. And if someone is tripping out. They are not eating a salad and painting fingernails. Jmo.

They would simply isolate themselves within the house while saying that I will never smoke that *advertiser censored* again. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee