CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. That is the quality dope. But its only for those that build a tolerance beforehand. And everyone else will just trip out for a while with a case of paranoia and possible anxiety.

Usually a cold shower can quickly bring that paranoia down a couple of notches.

What about the apparent flipping between terrified, paranoid, loving, needy, clingy? According to the mom Karlie was saying she was afraid of the stepmom. According to the dad (on NG) Karlie was saying she was scared of both him and her stepmom.

I could understand if Karlie smoked more marijuana or a different strain than she was used to and was feeling scared of what was happening to her and that might make her exhibit fear of what was going on with her plus a neediness for comfort from her stepmom. But what explains all the flipping of emotions that's been described, and one minute being terrified of stepmom (and dad) and the next being so clingy and needy that she wants her stepmom to sleep in her room with her and even goes to the bathroom with her stepmom?

On the NG show, the stepmom said that she fed Karlie salad and made her eat a protein or energy bar thing. So it doesn't sound like Karlie had the munchies, and we're told Karlie stayed up all night instead of sleeping.

daily MJ smoker here, for over 20 years - unless it was laced with something or was synthetic (I KNOW THERE ARE REPORTS THAT SHE ONLY SMOKED WEED, NOTHING ELSE AND THAT IT WAS NOT LACED) then this is not disorientation due to smoking weed. Even if she smoked an ounce of the very best strain, that is not what this is. It's just not. No way anyone can get me to believe that. Even had she suffered a very rare allergic reaction, that reaction would have worn off, and does not generally include "disorientation".

Disorientation can absolutely be a part of being super high. Daily pot smokers would typically not feel that. Because it comes from a potent dose smoked or taken by someone who isn't used to it.

I have experienced it. On a few occasions. Probably about five. That's what that is when time slows down intensely or you can't figure things out well.

I clearly remember reaching around in my backpack for what seemed like hours, or in a drawer for something I needed, and just being lost. Driving super slow because everything slowed down.

Disorientation while super high wouldn't happen to someone who has a tolerance for it and smokes it daily. But of course it happens.

Teenagers or others who may just have started using are going to be more susceptible.

It just doesn't cause wandering.

"These reactions aren’t typical, but they’re not uncommon either, says James Giordano, professor of neurology and biochemistry at Georgetown University Medical Center. They’re especially common for people who are new to weed and unfamiliar with the feeling of being high. “The disorientation can be very anxiety provoking,” he explains, as can the loss of control that comes with compromised mental capacities."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/tonic....le/gy8pa9/weed-causes-anxiety-for-some-people

"After eating some of the chocolate bar, the 20-year-old woman had short breath, was confused and disoriented and was unable to continue her shift at the restaurant, in the 400 block of Moorpark Road in Thousand Oaks, Nehira said."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Arrest-Chocolate-Weed-Edible-Coworker-Rosemead-419569463.html?amp=y

"When you smoke or ingest cannabis, THC travels into the bloodstream where it binds to cannabinoid receptors. These receptors affect memory, concentration, pleasure, coordination, sensory and time perception, appetite and many more important functions.

Smoking or ingesting too much cannabis in a short period of time can intensify and alter these effects. This phenomenon, often referred to as “greening out,” can be a very unpleasant and even a scary experience. The good news is, as reported in The British Journal of Psychiatry, cannabis is safe in overdose. In other words, it is physically impossible for a human to die as a direct result of a cannabis overdose.

What are the signs and symptoms of a cannabis overdose?
  • Severe paranoia, fear and anxiety
  • Lack of energy and enthusiasm
  • Heavy limbs / lack of mobility
  • Extreme dry mouth
  • Burning eyes
  • Shortness of breath
  • Increased heart rate
  • Shaking / trembling
  • Chills / sweats
  • Disorientation / lack of focus
  • Upset stomach
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.medicaljane.com/2015/11/05/can-you-overdose-on-marijuana-survival-tips-for-greening-out/?amp

It is well established that marijuana can cause disorientation.

None of those sites are alarmist, anti-pot sites.

Last edited:
What about the apparent flipping between terrified, paranoid, loving, needy, clingy? According to the mom Karlie was saying she was afraid of the stepmom. According to the dad (on NG) Karlie was saying she was scared of both him and her stepmom.

I could understand if Karlie smoked more marijuana or a different strain than she was used to and was feeling scared of what was happening to her and that might make her exhibit fear of what was going on with her plus a neediness for comfort from her stepmom. But what explains all the flipping of emotions that's been described, and one minute being terrified of stepmom (and dad) and the next being so clingy and needy that she wants her stepmom to sleep in her room with her and even goes to the bathroom with her stepmom?

On the NG show, the stepmom said that she fed Karlie salad and made her eat a protein or energy bar thing. So it doesn't sound like Karlie had the munchies, and we're told Karlie stayed up all night instead of sleeping.
Agree. Why was she force feeding her while forcing a let's go to sleep in the same bed?

Now I wonder if that salad or protein bar was filled with poison for her stepdaughter. :(

I see both sides here. I do think pot can cause disorientation for sure, I've experienced it first hand. On the other hand, I do not think pot is what "caused" (for lack of a better term) Karlie to disappear.

I agree. I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt but when stories change that much coupled with other things such as shutting the bio mom out, referring to the missing daughter as "gone" (rather than saying, "We can't find Karlie. Has she contacted you?"), and the fact that the Mono Sheriff's involved the FBI so quickly - they wouldn't do that for a suspected runaway case, IMO - I think "disorientation" is indeed a red herring. Especially as anything would've likely worn off by the morning and pot doesn't cause wandering.

But I'm trying to stay open-minded.

I agree. I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt but when stories change that much coupled with other things such as shutting the bio mom out, referring to the missing daughter as "gone" (rather than saying, "We can't find Karlie. Has she contacted you?"), and the fact that the Mono Sheriff's involved the FBI so quickly - they wouldn't do that for a suspected runaway case, IMO - I think "disorientation" is indeed a red herring. Especially as anything would've likely worn off by the morning and pot doesn't cause wandering.

But I'm trying to stay open-minded.

Have the brothers been interviewed I wonder?

She was scared because she was in trouble again! She just had gotten off a 30 day school suspension where she had to attend therapy for pot smoking!

Hmmm, interesting question, thank you. I am leaning toward it being a red herring in this instance. I think the story as reported by her family is worth poking holes in and I think LE is already doing that.

I'm with you on this as well. I'm sitting on my hands too. Of course, as things develop my opinion could change.
^^^Moo^^^

Stating information as fact without supporting links is ONLY allowed by a member who is a Verified Insider, otherwise the information is considered rumor. There are no VIs in this thread, so posts have been removed for discussing rumors.

If someone believes they have factual inside information to contribute, please follow this link for instruction on how to become a Verified Insider.

Thanks

She was scared because she was in trouble again! She just had gotten off a 30 day school suspension where she had to attend therapy for pot smoking!
I don't know. If this was simple pot smoking, I don't know why she would call step mom to come get her, then admit to smoking. I think something else was going on. Either something that happened at the party that scared the bejesus out of her, or she smoked something more than pot and was wigging out, or she has an underlying mental health issue that makes impulse control a problem and mood swings were wildly out of control that night.

I had a horrible experience with pot 25 yrs ago and it happend every time I tried it. Extreme fear, rapid heart rate, fear of death, and paranoia. Everything, including surroundings, appeared to be racing around me. I tried to be calm & cool, take mind off it, did not help. This happened once at 15 yrs old and age 18 yrs. The 1st bad reaction my friends put me into a water filled tub and 1 finally laid down with me, she said my eyes were wide open but I was sleeping (sounds bizarre to me but I was asleep). My reaction scared them so bad my friend kept her arm and leg over me and watched me all night. I ruined their party and was never invited to another 1 i was the talk of the school for a week. Felt like torture at the time. The 2nd bad reaction somebody took a water hose, held me by the waste and let the water run over my head. They ultimately called an ambulance that occasion. They diagnosed it as anxiety at E.R. with no knowledge of pot use. But they desperately tried for a urinalysis I wouldn't submit.
20 + yrs later I still just say no to pot and will NEVER try it again. (No it was not laced, everybody was normal but me and no neither time was a large quantity. Just a hit of a joint.) The point was to relax with friends, fitting in played a large part too. I am living proof pot causes some crazy crazy reactions in very small amounts. As a side note: I woke up rather early that day and wanted to go home immediately. I felt normal just guilty and embarrassed.

I pray that this young lady is simply getting away to contemplate her use, her friends, her family any possible outcomes from previous night etc. I felt a sense of guilt and embarrassment back yrs ago. Of course, that was 25 years ago and times have changed.
I hope her situation wasn't taken advantage of. I'm listening out for her bio-mom and Bf. I cant dismiss her SM and Dad completely either, (I did listen to NG). IMO, Her mom, bless her. This is heartbreaking. I just hope she called a friend to pick her up down the road and erased proof from her phone, But omg SM didnt do herself any favors with FB . All imo and life experience. I just keep seeing the posts abt pot not causing serious side effects and felt compelled to speak to my past experience. I do have some serious concerns as I'm sure we all do. Always JMO

There have been some comments saying that it seems unreasonable for a 16-yr old to beg her mom/stepmom to sleep with her.

I find that one of the least puzzling things about this case. Some teens have a bed larger than twin-size, or they have a trundle bed for when they have a friend or cousin to sleep over. If Karlie was having severe anxiety (for whatever reason) I can empathize with her not wanting to be alone. Even as an adult I've had times when I would have loved to have a mom around to sit in the room with me as I fell asleep, if there's a good relationship I don't see any reason to be ashamed for asking, and if I was a mom I'd do it for my teen...age is irrelevant if your kid is scared and needs you.

What I don't understand is the changing stories, and the "she's gone", and a few other things.

Have the brothers been interviewed I wonder?

Does anyone know if the parents can refuse to allow the younger children to be interviewed?

Not that I’m accusing them of that, but I wonder if that’s possible. It’s not a criminal case as far I know, so LE probably wouldn’t have any grounds to do more than request an interview. How does that work? And can parents refuse?

Does anyone know if the parents can refuse to allow the younger children to be interviewed?

Not that I’m accusing them of that, but I wonder if that’s possible. It’s not a criminal case as far I know, so LE probably wouldn’t have any grounds to do more than request an interview. How does that work? And can parents refuse?

They can refuse. That would create a lot of red flags though.

There have been some comments saying that it seems unreasonable for a 16-yr old to beg her mom/stepmom to sleep with her.

I find that one of the least puzzling things about this case. Some teens have a bed larger than twin-size, or they have a trundle bed for when they have a friend or cousin to sleep over. If Karlie was having severe anxiety (for whatever reason) I can empathize with her not wanting to be alone. Even as an adult I've had times when I would have loved to have a mom around to sit in the room with me as I fell asleep, if there's a good relationship I don't see any reason to be ashamed for asking, and if I was a mom I'd do it for my teen...age is irrelevant if your kid is scared and needs you.

What I don't understand is the changing stories, and the "she's gone", and a few other things.

Yes. I'm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member