CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO this is a very dysfunctional family. Dad is a "drinker" and BM is an admitted past drug addict. Karlie was already in trouble at school for smoking pot. This wasn't her first rodeo.

IMO this is a family full of secrets which is why they didn't take her to ER.

Originally the story was the dad was passed out and never saw Karlie that night. I believe this to be the true version. But I think it was very telling that on DP, he said he woke up and saw Karlie and thought "oh its the drugs" and went back to bed. Think about that. What parent does that? Why was he so nonchalant about her drug use?

I do think they are both still lying, but I don't think they killed her. IMO something happened at 5:30 am. I think SM and Karlie got in a huge blowup. I think SM had to be exhausted by then and tired of dealing with Karlie. Maybe she slapped her and Karlie stormed out of the house. In my experience with teen girls storming out is a routine thing. I think SM then went to bed thinking she would be back. But she didn't come back. I think then at 7 am is when she woke up dad and they started looking. Just a theory.

I have always felt someone picked her up on the highway. The dogs tracked her scent to the highway and stopped. They never found her scent in the desert

It's a good theory. Makes sense.

BTW, do we have a link or back up about the dogs tracking her at all?

You’re absolutely correct that Melissa had her car detailed and repaired from what she described as “frantically looking for her child in the desert and running over boulders”
Would be interesting to see the mechanics repair write up for what damages they fixed.
Melissa is a public service employee of sorts. I believe she works for the county. I am unaware of Zac’s occupation.

Construction. I just saw it in an article.

There’s so much wrong with this picture. The changing times and stories are not good and it makes me doubt everything they’re saying. IMO the backlash from FB caused them to be more concerned with how they appear than getting Karlie’s face out there. And what father says to his ex “at least you have an alibi” Having an alibi would be the absolute last thing that would occur to me. I find it interesting that within hours of Karlie going missing, Dad is thinking about alibis. I’m not accusing them of some nefarious deed (yet) but there’s definitely a lot of disinformation (not a typo) and missing timeline data here. I hope LE are on top of this and have searched the home, property and cars thoroughly especially the car that had work done right after Karlie went missing. Maybe the attention from Dr Phil show will generate calls and shed some light. I just have a very bad feeling about this one.

Yes, what doesn’t make sense is not true. My view is don’t believe dad or SM, anything. Even to tape your child when they are obviously suffering and believing they might die is bizarre. I wonder if Karlie knew she might die at hands of SM. Also, the “faith” key the husband gave SM later is bizarre. Not typical to buy gifts during such a time. And a key that represents to lock up! I think it’s dad committing to have faith he will lock the secret of the truth of this. She’s seems sociopathic in DP interviews, the tape, her supposed actions. He seems the amateur in it.

I am not a huge fan of this guy but he had BM on his show (in the comments)

She says DP didn't listen to the whole tape only the edited tape. She also says some things about the dad etc

That format wasn't great. I was left confused as to whether she (BM) has a full copy of the recording(s) SM made. It sounds like she might but that she was told to not make it public (by Zach or police?) because the investigation was ongoing.

As for other information, her source in many cases is Zach from the first few days and he can't be considered reliable in that timeframe.

On a side note I relistened to the Nancy Grace interview and what I thought was 100% deception now seems like he was under the influence as he was clearly slurring. He could be under the influence of alcohol, dope, or anxiety medication and all would mess up his responses without indicating any guilt.

She says DP didn't listen to the whole tape only the edited tape. She also says some things about the dad etc

You owe me big time for convincing me to listen to that buffoon. lol

That format wasn't great. I was left confused as to whether she (BM) has a full copy of the recording(s) SM made. It sounds like she might but that she was told to not make it public (by Zach or police?) because the investigation was ongoing.

As for other information, her source in many cases is Zach from the first few days and he can't be considered reliable in that timeframe.

On a side note I relistened to the Nancy Grace interview and what I thought was 100% deception now seems like he was under the influence as he was clearly slurring. He could be under the influence of alcohol, dope, or anxiety medication and all would mess up his responses without indicating any guilt.

He wasn't one bit under the influence on the Dr. Phil show, IMO. Lot's of excuses and b.s.ing, IMO. And zero authentic concern for his child.

He wasn't one bit under the influence on the Dr. Phil show, IMO. Lot's of excuses and b.s.ing, IMO. And zero authentic concern for his child.

That’s it!! Where was the concern for this young girl when she was obviously going through some kind of episode? Their thoughts were to tape her to show her how goofy she was being? To stay up with her, but then to go to bed? Leaving a child in distress to fend for herself?

To take your car in for repairs and detailing, yet call out bio mom for her apparent paralyzing terror? IMO something is not flowing right with the picture they are painting for the world. I hope I’m wrong, and that KG is found safe. Somehow.

That’s it!! Where was the concern for this young girl when she was obviously going through some kind of episode? Their thoughts were to tape her to show her how goofy she was being? To stay up with her, but then to go to bed? Leaving a child in distress to fend for herself?

To take your car in for repairs and detailing, yet call out bio mom for her apparent paralyzing terror? IMO something is not flowing right with the picture they are painting for the world. I hope I’m wrong, and that KG is found safe. Somehow.

To play devil's advocate, if these people are familiar with drug use and the effects of a huge amount of pot, then they would probably not be alarmed by her behavior, the way non-drug using parents would be.

As I've said, when I was young and used, I had a couple episodes like Karlie's and I've seen others go through it. Including my ex on a few occasions. I have never taken someone to the hospital for that. Instead, I'd just "talk them down" or drive them around, get them some food, and admonish them for being stupid. Because it fades after a couple hours and I've never known anyone to die from such a reaction. (Again, this reaction happens with just marijuana. No need for it to be laced with anything.)

Of course if it's your dependent child, and they're terrified, that's very different, unless you're not that great of a parent, you know?

I kind of get the sense (no offense meant) looking at the mannerisms and appearance of the parents and based on the prevalence of drug use in the desert there, that drinking and drugs is something they've dealt with for a long time.

They seem like the type to maybe get overly sanctimonious and judgmental when their child does it, get angry and maybe harsher than some, because I've seen that with some drug users - they go harder on their kids than on themselves - but at the same time might react in a more understanding manner if the kid does something super stupid like using too much and having a "bad trip".

Or they might just feel nervous that their parenting will be put into question because they allowed that to happen to their kid.

But I'm just baffled by the case. The car repair/detailing, changing stories, lies and weird affect is just off.

I wonder if this will ever get solved.

IMO this is a very dysfunctional family. Dad is a "drinker" and BM is an admitted past drug addict. Karlie was already in trouble at school for smoking pot. This wasn't her first rodeo.

IMO this is a family full of secrets which is why they didn't take her to ER.

Originally the story was the dad was passed out and never saw Karlie that night. I believe this to be the true version. But I think it was very telling that on DP, he said he woke up and saw Karlie and thought "oh its the drugs" and went back to bed. Think about that. What parent does that? Why was he so nonchalant about her drug use?

I do think they are both still lying, but I don't think they killed her. IMO something happened at 5:30 am. I think SM and Karlie got in a huge blowup. I think SM had to be exhausted by then and tired of dealing with Karlie. Maybe she slapped her and Karlie stormed out of the house. In my experience with teen girls storming out is a routine thing. I think SM then went to bed thinking she would be back. But she didn't come back. I think then at 7 am is when she woke up dad and they started looking. Just a theory.

I have always felt someone picked her up on the highway. The dogs tracked her scent to the highway and stopped. They never found her scent in the desert

I wonder... Do we know how KG transported to school? Did one of the in-home parents drive her? Or, did she take a bus? And, if she took the bus, could the dogs have been tracking her scent to the bus stop? Could that have been an older scent? It seems they did not track her off into the desert. Baffling I tell you, quite a puzzle this be!

It's a good theory. Makes sense.

BTW, do we have a link or back up about the dogs tracking her at all?
The sheriff's dept said so on their facebook page. It's here somewhere.
I believe it was 6 dogs. A real one horse town with a couple of sheriffs, so it seems.
I'm reminded of The Andy Griffith Show. Ah, the old days.

Last edited:

If that was really Lindsay responding, she shed some light on a few things. I joined the Armchair Detective Facebook (pending) and they're supposed to be highlighting her responses. If I don't get into the group, I could easily give you her comments. There aren't many.
Thanks for posting this.

Seems weird.

What kind of vehicle?
I read that Zac has a truck and both Melissa and Karlie have cars. Yeah, if you look at the terrain via google maps, it's pretty flat. Didn't happen. We need to find out which body shop she went to. There aren't many - four that specifically are body shops - but others that do body work/glass installers.
Unfortunately, it seems that everyone knows everyone and are pretty tight. I doubt anyone is going to give information but I may still give it a go.

ETA: Who ever took care of her car isn't talking, obviously, but then if there was something damning about the car, I'm sure she and Zac took care of that ahead of time - probably in the early morning.
Yes, I'm convinced that they're covering up for far more than what could be perceived as neglect for not getting her medical attention.

Last edited:
I wonder... Do we know how KG transported to school? Did one of the in-home parents drive her? Or, did she take a bus? And, if she took the bus, could the dogs have been tracking her scent to the bus stop? Could that have been an older scent? It seems they did not track her off into the desert. Baffling I tell you, quite a puzzle this be!
Bingo! That makes so much sense. Yes, according to someone here (or elsewhere), the only kids who didn't have busing were south of Bishop.

To play devil's advocate, if these people are familiar with drug use and the effects of a huge amount of pot, then they would probably not be alarmed by her behavior, the way non-drug using parents would be.

As I've said, when I was young and used, I had a couple episodes like Karlie's and I've seen others go through it. Including my ex on a few occasions. I have never taken someone to the hospital for that. Instead, I'd just "talk them down" or drive them around, get them some food, and admonish them for being stupid. Because it fades after a couple hours and I've never known anyone to die from such a reaction. (Again, this reaction happens with just marijuana. No need for it to be laced with anything.)

Of course if it's your dependent child, and they're terrified, that's very different, unless you're not that great of a parent, you know?

I kind of get the sense (no offense meant) looking at the mannerisms and appearance of the parents and based on the prevalence of drug use in the desert there, that drinking and drugs is something they've dealt with for a long time.

They seem like the type to maybe get overly sanctimonious and judgmental when their child does it, get angry and maybe harsher than some, because I've seen that with some drug users - they go harder on their kids than on themselves - but at the same time might react in a more understanding manner if the kid does something super stupid like using too much and having a "bad trip".

Or they might just feel nervous that their parenting will be put into question because they allowed that to happen to their kid.

But I'm just baffled by the case. The car repair/detailing, changing stories, lies and weird affect is just off.

I wonder if this will ever get solved.
I think they didn't take her to the hospital for totally unrelated reasons. Either they, themselves were too effed up or Karlie was injured by their hand, intentionally or accidentally.
ETA: I'm in no way saying that I believe Karlie isn't alive. She may have run to a trusted friend who has her in hiding. This is my sincerest hope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members